PDA

View Full Version : Royce Ring called up in NY

MHOUSE
04-29-2005, 09:59 PM
I was reading the box scores on ESPN today and noticed that R. Ring pitched 1/3 of an inning and retired the only batter he faced. Maybe we'll get a chance to see how he pans out a little bit.

TimoPerez
04-29-2005, 10:08 PM
I was reading the box scores on ESPN today and noticed that R. Ring pitched 1/3 of an inning and retired the only batter he faced. Maybe we'll get a chance to see how he pans out a little bit.

Rick Peterson has him pitching with a three-quarter delivery now. He looked good tonight, but it was only one batter. The batter worked the count full and then flew out to left field.

SoxFan48
04-29-2005, 11:48 PM
Read Moneyball and learn how Kenny Williams passed on Joe Blanton to get Royce Ring. Of course, we would have traded Blanton for Roberto Alomar at least twice by now.

gosox41
04-30-2005, 10:34 AM
Read Moneyball and learn how Kenny Williams passed on Joe Blanton to get Royce Ring. Of course, we would have traded Blanton for Roberto Alomar at least twice by now.

ROFLMAO.

Bob

TimoPerez
04-30-2005, 12:51 PM

How very true.

doublem23
04-30-2005, 01:04 PM
Read Moneyball and learn how Kenny Williams passed on Joe Blanton to get Royce Ring. Of course, we would have traded Blanton for Roberto Alomar at least.

Does Moneyball also tell you how to trade away your two best starting pitchers?

balke
04-30-2005, 01:10 PM
And the leagues best shortstop.

gf2020
04-30-2005, 03:43 PM
And the leagues best shortstop.

To be fair, Tejada left as a free agent for mad money.

gosox41
04-30-2005, 06:09 PM

At least this is the first time I've seen a post about the A's (incorectly) trading Tejada.

It beats all the posts about how Beane inherited the Big 3. He inherited 1 of them. The other 2 were drafted after he was GM. And so was Harden and obviously Blanton.

Bob

beckett21
04-30-2005, 06:12 PM

:roflmao:

balke
04-30-2005, 06:25 PM

Then perhaps they SHOULD'VE traded him. If you don't got the dough to pay for him yourself, why let him go for nothing? If the Sox ever lost Tejada, we'd never live it down. That's the kind of player people will pay to see for a long time, and the kind that helps win championships.

But I forgot how his swinging away killed the team, and oh gosh look at that OBP! YIKES!

SoxFan48
04-30-2005, 10:24 PM

Drop me a private message. I will explain those trades to you in agonizing detail.

CleeFan101
04-30-2005, 10:28 PM
At least this is the first time I've seen a post about the A's (incorectly) trading Tejada.

It beats all the posts about how Beane inherited the Big 3. He inherited 1 of them. The other 2 were drafted after he was GM. And so was Harden and obviously Blanton.
Bob

Well, the point was, he didnt draft anyone of the big 3..... But yeah i do give him credit for Harden and Blanton... and that mulder trade is looking good since they got Haren for him.... dont know everyone that they got for Hudson, just that Juan Cruz been sucking :cool:

gosox41
05-01-2005, 08:54 AM
Well, the point was, he didnt draft anyone of the big 3..... But yeah i do give him credit for Harden and Blanton... and that mulder trade is looking good since they got Haren for him.... dont know everyone that they got for Hudson, just that Juan Cruz been sucking :cool:

He was GM when 2 of the Big 3 were drafted. The GM is in charge of player personnel and has a say in hiring scouts, coaches and stat people who share his philosophies. Any player move made when someone is a GM rests squarely on their shoulders IMHO. It's their job.

Bob

doublem23
05-01-2005, 01:20 PM
Drop me a private message. I will explain those trades to you in agonizing detail.

Don't worry, I already got a handle on it... The Billy Beane philosophy; don't bother playing for today when the sun will rise tomorrow. :rolleyes:

Though I'm sure I'll get a load of **** how everyone would rather have Joe Blanton, Kiko Calero, and whoever the **** else they have instead of Tim Hudson and Mark Mulder.

:kneeslap:

Randar68
05-01-2005, 01:50 PM
Read Moneyball and learn how Kenny Williams passed on Joe Blanton to get Royce Ring.

Reading a book that takes a worshiping over-the-top angle to give one side of a story is really the best way to know what "really" happenned.

Good thing Billy saved the best of the Big Three. (Zito)

SoxFan48
05-01-2005, 04:10 PM
Don't worry, I already got a handle on it... The Billy Beane philosophy; don't bother playing for today when the sun will rise tomorrow. :rolleyes:

Though I'm sure I'll get a load of **** how everyone would rather have Joe Blanton, Kiko Calero, and whoever the **** else they have instead of Tim Hudson and Mark Mulder.

:kneeslap:

Billy Beane for this season was a $57 million budget. Due to built in raises for his Big 3, Beane would have dropped 3 regulars from his current roster to keep within budget. The Hudson trade was forced. Resign me by spring training or I am gone. The three he got in return--Juan Cruz, Dan Meyer and Charles Thomas will not be all stars but could some day add value. Meyer was Atlanta's top pitching prospect in Triple A last year and should move into the #5 slot by year's end. Cruz can be a good set-up man and Thomas a 4th type outfielder.

The trade with the Cardinals could end up being a steal. Mulder has collapsed at the end of both of the past two seasons--health, mechanics, you name it. Dan Haren will be a solid #2 or #3 starter, Kiki Caleron a lights-out reliever--0.00 EPA until he was shut down last week and the key to whole trade--19 year old Dominic Barton is considered one of the best hitting prospects in the minors.

The trades also permitted the addition of Kendall, the locking of Blanton and Crosby into 4 year deals. The A's are 1 game out of first and will contend in the West this year. Further, they are set for the next four or five years with no serious free agents problems except Zito who will they probably trade at the end of this year.

I wish we had a GM who could see three-four years ahead and who get the results Beane has acheived on a lower budget. There is no ownership now and the budget will go up and we will see how Beane operates with more money. Shoud be interesting.

doublem23
05-01-2005, 04:23 PM
I wish we had a GM who could see three-four years ahead and who get the results Beane has acheived on a lower budget.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/images/players/mugshot/ph_150119.jpg

You have any idea how much ****ing money he'd have cost us on the free agent market? Unless you want some kid struggling in AAA backing up your rotation. :rolleyes: