PDA

View Full Version : August 8th through August 25th: The stretch which could define the season

MRKARNO
04-29-2005, 06:24 PM
If the White Sox are still in it come August 8th, then the next two weeks from that point could define the AL Playoff race from the White Sox standpoint and from the standpoint of the AL East race and the Wild Card Race.

August 8th-August 10th: 3 games at Yankee Stadium
August 12th-August 14th: 3 games at Fenway Park
August 15th-August 17th: 3 games vs Twins at Home
August 19th-August 21st: 3 games vs Yankees at Home
August 23rd-August 25th 3 games at the Twinkie Dome

It's amazing that the schedule makers made our schedule such that all of these games had to come in a row, but we'll deal with what we've been dealt with. The Yanks, Red Sox and Twins all seem to make their move in August, so we might be seeing these teams at the most difficult time of year to beat them. These games will be critical if the White Sox are still in the race at the time. They could be like 2000's stretch with the Indians and Yankees where we took something like 10 of 14 including all 7 at home (IIRC), or it could be a disaster. Either way, it will define our season if we get there in a good position.

seanpmurphy
04-29-2005, 06:39 PM
To quote George W. Bush

"Bring 'em on"

Lip Man 1
04-29-2005, 06:51 PM
It's not the first time the schedule makers for some reason set the Sox up. it happened in 2000 with that (on paper) killer stretch including seven straight at Cleveland / New York.

That worked out O.K. however it does show how important to have as large a lead as possible going into that stretch of games.

Lip

PAPChiSox729
04-29-2005, 06:56 PM
If the White Sox are still in it come August 8th, then the next two weeks from that point could define the AL Playoff race from the White Sox standpoint and from the standpoint of the AL East race and the Wild Card Race.

August 8th-August 10th: 3 games at Yankee Stadium
August 12th-August 14th: 3 games at Fenway Park
August 15th-August 17th: 3 games vs Twins at Home
August 19th-August 21st: 3 games vs Yankees at Home
August 23rd-August 25th 3 games at the Twinkie Dome

It's amazing that the schedule makers made our schedule such that all of these games had to come in a row, but we'll deal with what we've been dealt with. The Yanks, Red Sox and Twins all seem to make their move in August, so we might be seeing these teams at the most difficult time of year to beat them. These games will be critical if the White Sox are still in the race at the time. They could be like 2000's stretch with the Indians and Yankees where we took something like 10 of 14 including all 7 at home (IIRC), or it could be a disaster. Either way, it will define our season if we get there in a good position.

No offense to this thread, but everyone looks for that "defining stretch". I just think that you have to beat everyone, not just the good teams. Look at the '03 Sox, the Tigers were absolutely horrible, yet they won many of their games against us. I think a loss against a bad team is more damaging then a loss against a good one.

MRKARNO
04-29-2005, 07:08 PM
No offense to this thread, but everyone looks for that "defining stretch". I just think that you have to beat everyone, not just the good teams. Look at the '03 Sox, the Tigers were absolutely horrible, yet they won many of their games against us. I think a loss against a bad team is more damaging then a loss against a good one.

Still, it is impossible to look at this stretch without thinking that this could be an amazing stretch of baseball for the White Sox. It is just interesting that things turned out this way this year.

elrod
04-29-2005, 07:13 PM
To quote George W. Bush

"Bring 'em on"

Be careful what you wish for. :cool:

PAPChiSox729
04-29-2005, 07:19 PM
Still, it is impossible to look at this stretch without thinking that this could be an amazing stretch of baseball for the White Sox. It is just interesting that things turned out this way this year.

I see what you're getting at. If they play well during this stretch, then they will be establishing themselves among the best in the AL. I just think that playing over the whole season will tell us more then this one stretch of baseball. Teams can be streaky. I could see a team like the Orioles getting hot and running through stretches like these. I don't think that would make them a contender. I am looking for consistency, something that hasn't been with team for the past few years. I am just trying to say I don't like judging a team over a stretch of the season.

buehrle4cy05
04-29-2005, 07:57 PM
While we are complaining about the schedule makers, how about giving us another 3 game set in Oakland?

hawkjt
04-30-2005, 02:47 PM
Yea ,why do we end up going to the west coast like six times this year? Why do we end up playing the A's in oakland six times in back to back years? I think our central location makes the sox the default option for schedule makers ie send to the coast for 3 game series cuz the yankees are too far away. ect. Pisses me off.