PDA

View Full Version : Are Homers down this year?

DumpJerry
04-29-2005, 04:33 PM
Is it my imagination or are homers down this year in MLB? If they are, I have one theory (which of course relates to steroids). Now that 'roid testing is in place, the guys who were slugging all those homers the last several years are "weaker" and cannot muscle the ball as well. However, the pitchers over the last several years have been training to take on the home run hitters and now have a skill set that makes it difficult for non-steroid aided hitters to set it deep.

Another theory for the drop-off (if there is indeed a drop-off) is that the unusually cool weather the last couple of weeks have cooled off the bats.

A third theory could be that umps are expanding the strike zone, thus forcing batters to swing more rather than wait for the right pitch.

Any of you statheads want to check where the MLB is with homers this year compared to last?

Of course, ESPN analysts would say the production dropped because Maggs and Frank aren't playing in MLB right now.

MisterB
04-29-2005, 05:20 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/statistics

Scroll down to the bottom, look for the panel labeled "Juice Box".

So far homers are down nearly 17% from last season's average.

Cubbiesuck13
04-29-2005, 05:31 PM
I didn't really think homers would be down as much as games played would be. I got the feeling that while 'roids helped make the players stronger and faster they also made them more durable. I think players will get run down much quicker this year than in years past.