PDA

View Full Version : And Harold Reynolds Stupifies Us All (HBP Related)

Rocklive99
04-28-2005, 09:39 PM
(BBTN 4/28) And Harold Reynolds stupifies us all by "breaking down" the HBP video and saying that Crede made no attempt to get out of the way and the umpire was correct, and stands in the studio batter's box and proves nothing. I don't want to start an argument on whether he should've gotten called back (even though Crede was in his place in the box and it was a curveball and it was like our 6th or 7th hit batter) or not, but he says "and now, here's the situation that's causing all the controversy and uproaring". No, the situation is Crede being thrown out for throwing his bat in frustration and the fact that a personal vendetta against Ozzie Guillen dictates a call after a real crappy series of umpiring.

Leave it to the experts of the national media though. Just when I thought Reynolds was making strides by saying Schilling was in the wrong in his situation and that Piniella knows his stuff (an ESPN analyst going against Schilling?!?!? *shock* I guess it's the Mariner connection). Should've kept it on the NBA playoffs

kevingrt
04-28-2005, 09:47 PM
(BBTN 4/28) And Harold Reynolds stupifies us all by "breaking down" the HBP video and saying that Crede made no attempt to get out of the way and the umpire was correct, and stands in the studio batter's box and proves nothing. I don't want to start an argument on whether he should've gotten called back (even though Crede was in his place in the box and it was a curveball and it was like our 6th or 7th hit batter) or not, but he says "and now, here's the situation that's causing all the controversy and uproaring". No, the situation is Crede being thrown out for throwing his bat in frustration and the fact that a personal vendetta against Ozzie Guillen dictates a call after a real crappy series of umpiring.

Leave it to the experts of the national media though. Just when I thought Reynolds was making strides by saying Schilling was in the wrong in his situation and that Piniella knows his stuff (an ESPN analyst going against Schilling?!?!? *shock* I guess it's the Mariner connection). Should've kept it on the NBA playoffs

So true Rocklive... the call was iffy at best but that isn't what irks me. It's that he got into a shouting match with Ozzie and obviously used profanity and then he tosses Crede for something players do a lot, slam their bat into the ground and cuss a themselves. BBTN can be wrong too often.

balke
04-28-2005, 09:47 PM
I want to burn all the footage, and pretend that crap never happened. I just got over it like 5 minutes ago. We got jipped, it was one game. Hopefully it takes crooked umps to make us lose series all season. Back to happy thoughts til we lose another series (hopefully not this season).

skobabe8
04-28-2005, 09:48 PM

I just saw that too. Thank god he stood in that stupid batters box to make his point oh so crystal clear.

JohnBasedowYoda
04-28-2005, 10:40 PM
oh i just love it when they "break it down" in that little side-stage baseball diamond. Man those clowns get payed so much $$$ to explain the obvious.
We're all idiots for not having cake jobs like that

MUsoxfan
04-28-2005, 11:31 PM
I was PISSED yesterday. Really pissed. After looking at it....no, Crede did not back out of the way. Wendelstedt made the right call....which I would have NO problem with if other similar calls were EVER made. I like to call myself an intelligent baseball fan and I've watched hundreds of games. NEVER have I seen that call. If he calls it for Crede, he has to call it for everyone....and I certainly don't see that happening because this f'ing guy goes out of his way to piss off Ozzie

MHOUSE
04-29-2005, 03:07 AM
After baseball tonight a couple of guys down the hall came in to give me a hard time about Crede "leaning into the pitch" and making no attempt to get out of the way, yada yada. A Yankee fan (Giambi) and a Cardinal fan (Vina) are telling me about guys getting hit by a pitch. Give me a break. I'm sorry, but if a guy throws a curveball into the batter's box, you shouldn't have to turn your back to get the base. Just because he basically stood still, they're acting like it's a crime. I want to see Wendelstadt call Jeter back to the plate in the same situation and we'll see what the baseball tonight crew says.

MUsoxfan
04-29-2005, 03:16 AM
I want to see Wendelstadt call Jeter back to the plate in the same situation and we'll see what the baseball tonight crew says.

Exactly. Blatant personal vendettas between umps and teams can only be bad for the game

IowaSox1971
04-29-2005, 03:54 AM
It was an odd time to start cracking down on this, especially when Crede was hit by a pitch that was way inside. What's frustrating is that this same umpire and many other umpires probably have let batters take their base after even more obvious examples of letting the pitch hit them. I've seen guys crowding the plate, and then the pitch goes over the plate and hits them, but they're still given first base. What will Wendelstedt all of a sudden decide to enforce the next time he umps one of our games: Making sure the guy touches second while turning the double play?

DrCrawdad
04-29-2005, 05:15 AM
Yesterday Boers and Bernstein were talking about the Crede HBP. They said the ump made the right call and that the Sox and Sox fans need to get over it and move on. In general I agree with many of the viewpoints of B&B. I agree that the Sox need to move on and just win this home series against the Tiggers. However, I don't agree with the call by the ump. I can't remember the last time I've ever seen an ump make a similiar call. That may be the correct call by the book, just follow the book in all cases and in an even way. Next time a Sox pitcher hits a batter in a similiar way I'd like to see that call go the Sox way. I'll be waiting...

:angry:

C-Dawg
04-29-2005, 05:48 AM
I can't remember the last time I've ever seen an ump make a similiar call. That may be the correct call by the book, just follow the book in all cases and in an even way.

Rooney and Farmer were speculating it had been 20 years since an ump had made that call - I don't know if they were being serious but I wouldn't even know how to look that stat up - I mean, what's it called, hit-by-pitch-disallowed?

How about Barry Bonds? He hunkers down so close he often gives the pitchers just two options - hit him or walk him. He could have had this called on him a hundred times I bet.

SoxFan78
04-29-2005, 09:01 AM
I think Silvy and Carmen said it the best yesterday on their show.

They said going 40 MPH in a 35 MPH zone is illegal, but what cop is going to give you a ticket for it??

PatK
04-29-2005, 09:39 AM
Funny thing is Biggio will probably do the same thing 15-20 times this season and will get to take first every time.

ma-gaga
04-29-2005, 09:40 AM
Rooney and Farmer were speculating it had been 20 years since an ump had made that call - I don't know if they were being serious but I wouldn't even know how to look that stat up - I mean, what's it called, hit-by-pitch-disallowed?

How about Barry Bonds? He hunkers down so close he often gives the pitchers just two options - hit him or walk him. He could have had this called on him a hundred times I bet.

You hit him with a fastball going 85+MPH he gets his base. It was a freaking SLOW pitch and it looked like Crede leaned into it.

I've seen this called before, but very VERY rarely.

balke
04-29-2005, 10:31 AM
A freaking slow pitch is why Pablo Ozuna may have broken his wrist. I doubt it was lower than 70, and getting hit on the arm by anything still hurts.

The biggest travesty noone talks about is how we were handcuffed all game, unable to retaliate.... although we never hit any batters on their team or did anything close to retaliation. The game as a whole was a screw job.

Both teams were throwing fastballs at legs to get people off the plate, and Oakland stayed high inside all game, cause they had no warnings.

infohawk
04-29-2005, 10:47 AM
Baseball Tonight crew. :dtroll:

Fake Chet Lemon
04-29-2005, 12:28 PM
I think we should just pretend the Oakland never happened and cease to talk about anything that had anything to do with that series. It's our house of horrors. Let's forget about it and move on. The ostrich head in the sand mentality for once seems appropriate on this one.

Nellie_Fox
04-29-2005, 01:14 PM
I think Silvy and Carmen said it the best yesterday on their show.

They said going 40 MPH in a 35 MPH zone is illegal, but what cop is going to give you a ticket for it??However, if one does, you really have no gripe coming. It doesn't matter what other people got away with.