PDA

View Full Version : Forget ignoring the media, fight back!

bludupree
04-28-2005, 08:22 PM
This is long, but please at least read my proposal in the last few paragraphs, although it is all important.

Although I understand the “who cares” opinion about the media I have to disagree. This year has convinced me that almost every journalist working for SI, ESPN, the Tribune, and the Sun-Times know less about baseball then they do about integrity if that is possible. From national columnists predicting the Sox to take 4th in the AL central, to our own city’s newspapers focusing on bashing KW and Ozzie, to everyone completely ignoring our amazing 16-4 start, I thought they couldn’t get any lower. Then some bonehead decides to write how we are the worst team to cheer for?

First of all, this has to be the worst idea for an article to date. Has this guy been to all of these cities, spoken with fans, been to the ballparks/stadiums, or watched more than an inning of baseball in his entire life outside of a Yankees playoff game? The fact is that almost every Sox fan I encounter is an extremely passionate, knowledgeable, and proud fan. I personally consider White Sox baseball to be a very big part of my life and a representation of who I am and I wouldn’t trade it for any team in the world.

Then he criticizes Hawk? I understand that not everyone is a Hawk fan, however no one can disagree that he, like Sox fans, is very passionate about the game and our team. This guy rips on Hawk for being interesting, energetic, and original while praising the cubs for having an announcer 7 years ago that was with us for 10.

But who cares right? He is an idiot. Well this may be true but it does have an affect on the people who read it. All of these morons have the ability to alter America’s perception of our club. Look at the effect that the articles about our ‘horrible stadium’ have had. Everyone hates Comisky but no one can give a good reason why. The stadium now has additions that have given it character, the bad seats have been removed, and the food is excellent.

My Point:

The media seems to be getting worse by the day and I fear that in the long run it could really hurt our fan base, which will hurt our team. What do kids think when they pick up the sports section and read about how great the lovable losers are and how horrible every Sox player is? I will never forget a few years ago when Jay Moronotti said that the cubs are the team of Chicago and the Sox are the team of the gutter. These things do affect people and sometimes young, potential Sox fans.

What I propose is that we take action and make a change. Although we can’t change ESPN or SI we can change our local papers, which I do believe have an influence on national media. Believe it or not Sox fans do make up a significant portion of Chicago’s population. What would happen if Sox fans stopped paying to hear their team bashed on a daily basis? What would happen if 500,000 Sun-Times readers vowed to never pay for a paper with Jay Mariotti’s name in it again? The fact is that money talks and if we show the papers that we will no longer pay for crap that they will have no option but to produce a decent paper. I suggest we focus on the Sun-Times to start. It is a smaller market and is not directly linked to the Cubs.

If we put together the facts and inform Sox fans about what is happening I do think they will respond. All it takes is a little organization and a lot of dedication which I believe we can handle. We can pass out flyers before games, talk to friends, family, and co-workers, and, who knows, maybe even have a promotional day at Comisky (crazier things have happened). Writing a letter to the Sun-Times is also a must. I have a lot of ideas but I am trying to end this quickly so let me know what you think and we can get this going. Let’s fight back! Go Sox!

whitesoxwilkes
04-28-2005, 08:26 PM
What I propose is that we take action and make a change. Although we can’t change ESPN or SI we can change our local papers, which I do believe have an influence on national media. Believe it or not Sox fans do make up a significant portion of Chicago’s population. What would happen if Sox fans stopped paying to hear their team bashed on a daily basis? What would happen if 500,000 Sun-Times readers vowed to never pay for a paper with Jay Mariotti’s name in it again? The fact is that money talks and if we show the papers that we will no longer pay for crap that they will have no option but to produce a decent paper. I suggest we focus on the Sun-Times to start. It is a smaller market and is not directly linked to the Cubs.

Only time I ever read Moronotti is when someone links him from here. I haven't bought that paper in years.

I confess that we get the Trib, but I only read the box scores in the sports section--who needs to read their Sox coverage when everything you could possibly want is right here at WSI?

Trib's still a good source for local/national/world news though.

bludupree
04-28-2005, 08:30 PM
I agree with you about the tribune, however Chicago is a HUGE sports town. One thing I forgot to mention was that Mariotti also bashed the Illini calling it MOO U which hurts the enrollment of one of the state's great Universities.

TornLabrum
04-28-2005, 08:51 PM
Trib's still a good source for local/national/world news though.

Yeah, especially when they can figure out whose photos they are putting in the paper.

BRDSR
04-28-2005, 09:20 PM
Yeah, especially when they can figure out whose photos they are putting in the paper.

Haha, that's classic. This is in reference to Wednesday's Trib which feature a photo of alleged mob boss "The Clown" on an old-fashioned bicycle. Thursday they print a story about how the picture is actually of some run of the mill elderly gentleman who has a passion for riding bikes. In the Tribune's defense, the mob boss'(whos name I can't remember) lawyer identified the man in the picture as his client. In the lawyer's defense, he also said that the cigar in his hand was thicker than his client's normal variety and that his face looked fuller than usual. All in all, kind of embarrassing for the Trib.

Although I understand the “who cares” opinion about the media I have to disagree. This year has convinced me that almost every journalist working for SI, ESPN, the Tribune, and the Sun-Times know less about baseball then they do about integrity if that is possible.

As far as the integrity of the Sun-Times and the Tribune, I don't measure a publication's integrity by sports. When it comes to sports, the paper can do whatever they want to sell papers. One thing I think we need to remember sometimes is that Sports Don't Matter. Thats why we love them. We can invest a lot of time and energy into them and have a great time cheering our team to victory but if they lose...no big deal. That's the beauty. A publication loses integrity when they choose to cover petty, voyueristic news(like the Michael Jackson trial) over wrongs like the way that low income housing is getting squeezed unlawfully. The media's coverage of the White Sox is a good target for some flippant and humorous remarks but to start a Chicago-wide White Sox Fan boycott of the Tribune and the Sun-Times would be turning ant mole hill into a mountain. It's really not a big deal.

bludupree
04-28-2005, 09:50 PM
The sports section may be the least improtant section of the paper, however it is important. If the sports section is affecting ticket sales for the team I love, which will affect the performance of the team, which has the ability bring joy to all of its fans, then it is important.

skobabe8
04-28-2005, 11:00 PM
bludupreee reminds me of belushi in 'animal house,' with his "germans bombed pearl harbor" inspirational speach. But thats a good thing!

:gulp: :D: :bandance:

CubsfansareDRUNK
04-28-2005, 11:11 PM
i agree. we need to do something. we are sox fans. im sick and tired of all of it. Everybody on this site who posts regularly like i do thinks the same way.
This year ive been supporting the sox more then i ever have. Buying stuff, watching games, and even trying to fend off all those annyoing cub fans. Every single day a cub fan argues with me "YOu call the sox a baseball team?"
"We're 16-6, the best record in baseball" "Who cares? They lost yesterday" We've all had these fights. Right after we win with stats they pull something like "Why dont you go to US SELL OUT FIELD and get SHOT?" They're the exact same way. Why doesnt anybody understand! The sox are a better team! And its not only between the sox and the cubs. I was at the torri hunter game. That was the loudest me and my dad have ever Booed in our entire life. Something needs to be done.

Thats my rant. :gulp:

CubsfansareDRUNK
04-28-2005, 11:15 PM
The sports section may be the least improtant section of the paper, however it is important. If the sports section is affecting ticket sales for the team I love, which will affect the performance of the team, which has the ability bring joy to all of its fans, then it is important.

You, bludupree, have reached the final step on the Hierarchy of Needs Triangle

Self-actualization is the summit of Maslow's hierarchy of needs. It is the quest of reaching one's full potential as a person. Unlike lower level needs, this need is never fully satisfied; as one grows psychologically there are always new opportunities to continue to grow.

Self-actualized people tend to have needs such as:

Truth
Justice
Wisdom
Meaning
Self-actualized persons have frequent occurrences of peak experiences, which are energized moments of profound happiness and harmony. According to Maslow, only a small percentage of the population reaches the level of self-actualization.

paciorek1983
04-29-2005, 12:01 AM
The thing is, besides Sox fans, noone cares about the Sox. To the rest of the world, we are nothing. It wouldn't matter if the Sox disappeared form the face of the earth, there would barely be a blip.

We are the afterthought of the afterthough in sports, and it's tough to take. In the general casual fans eyes, who look at sports as just merely entertainment, going to a Sox game just isn't as fun as going to a Cubs game. And therefore, the Sox will never get the attention they deserve until they are consistently in the post-season every year--or make it seem like they are in it every year. That way, it will make cubs look like the joke that they really are instead of a bunch of loveable losers with a party atmosphere ballpark.

Banix12
04-29-2005, 12:13 AM
If you boycott the Sun-times you also have to boycott the Southtown, since I believe they are both owned by the same company.

I agree that a letter writing campaign is key but I would also suggest that we make sure to set down guidelines as to content in the letters. These are just some ideas, and open to debate

1. Make sure your letter is polite. So sweet and polite it will make your teeth hurt. No swearing, overt anger or snide remarks. Show them that sox fans are not angry goofballs, drunks or William Ligues.

2. Ignore the cubs, you can mention them once, maybe twice, but don't make it seem like we have an inferiority complex by making every point a comparison to the cubs. Keep it focused on the Sox and why being a sox fan and going to US Cellular is a totally different and a wonderful experience in it's own right.

3. Don't harp on every little mistake the media makes. Pick your battles. If they forget Pods plays Left now, just let it slide. If they say it is a pointless endeavor to be a sox fan, let the letters fly.

4. Send a letter through Snail Mail over E-mail. If you flood an email inbox with letters, they can easily be ignored because the writer is the only one who sees it and the delete button is easy to press. If you flood an office mailbox with letters, it is very difficult to ignore because it just isn't seen as much anymore.

5. Keep it short and sweet. If your letter is more than 1/2 to 2/3rds of one page, trim it down to just the essentials.

As for going after Mariotti, you actually might be able to find an unlikely ally in cubs fans, as I know for a fact that a large chunk of cubs fans don't like him either. I would suggest getting a petition together and get cubs fans and sox fans working together on this. Of course sox and cubs fans working together is the seventh sign of the apocalypse, but it would be fitting for Mariotti to bring about the apocalypse.

Of course though, Mariotti still has a job because he makes people angry and they keep reading to be angry at him.

chisoxfanatic
04-29-2005, 12:39 AM
Hasn't this been the whole point between Hangar18's media watches? The biggest thing here is actually carrying out with the proposal, which often is not done.

I'm with you on this, but I really won't put a dent into the cause myself, as I never read any newspapers (I watch CLTV for my news, maybe reading newspapers online, which doesn't give them my money).

bludupree
04-29-2005, 01:22 AM
If you boycott the Sun-times you also have to boycott the Southtown, since I believe they are both owned by the same company.

I agree that a letter writing campaign is key but I would also suggest that we make sure to set down guidelines as to content in the letters. These are just some ideas, and open to debate

1. Make sure your letter is polite. So sweet and polite it will make your teeth hurt. No swearing, overt anger or snide remarks. Show them that sox fans are not angry goofballs, drunks or William Ligues.

2. Ignore the cubs, you can mention them once, maybe twice, but don't make it seem like we have an inferiority complex by making every point a comparison to the cubs. Keep it focused on the Sox and why being a sox fan and going to US Cellular is a totally different and a wonderful experience in it's own right.

3. Don't harp on every little mistake the media makes. Pick your battles. If they forget Pods plays Left now, just let it slide. If they say it is a pointless endeavor to be a sox fan, let the letters fly.

4. Send a letter through Snail Mail over E-mail. If you flood an email inbox with letters, they can easily be ignored because the writer is the only one who sees it and the delete button is easy to press. If you flood an office mailbox with letters, it is very difficult to ignore because it just isn't seen as much anymore.

5. Keep it short and sweet. If your letter is more than 1/2 to 2/3rds of one page, trim it down to just the essentials.

As for going after Mariotti, you actually might be able to find an unlikely ally in cubs fans, as I know for a fact that a large chunk of cubs fans don't like him either. I would suggest getting a petition together and get cubs fans and sox fans working together on this. Of course sox and cubs fans working together is the seventh sign of the apocalypse, but it would be fitting for Mariotti to bring about the apocalypse.

Of course though, Mariotti still has a job because he makes people angry and they keep reading to be angry at him.

I totally agree. Sounding like a Sox fine with an inferiority complex will get us nothing but ignored. IMO there are really 2 problems. One is the lack of Sox coverage which is due to the fact that Cubs fans make up the majority of the city. The other problem is just flat out malicious journalism for self-promotion and personal agenda. Jay Mariotti has been the biggest culprit of this. Like Hawk once said, he's a vicious man that won't let the truth get in the way of a good story. He will spin any story and distort any truth with total disregard for anyone or anything. This is where I think we need to focus. It isn't just the Sox who are affected. He has trashed every sports team in this state. He does this because it is the only way he can keep his job. I have never met a person that likes Mariotti. He has already lost a radio show. The Sun-Times needs to realize that eventually people get tired of cynics.

Hasn't this been the whole point between Hangar18's media watches? The biggest thing here is actually carrying out with the proposal, which often is not done.

I'm with you on this, but I really won't put a dent into the cause myself, as I never read any newspapers (I watch CLTV for my news, maybe reading newspapers online, which doesn't give them my money).

I personally don't buy the Sun-Times either, but I know a lot of people who do. For example my dad is in a union and I know that Union people usually buy the Sun-Times since it is union run or something (at least this was true a few years ago). Unions have very strong networking abilities and I would bet that this group alone could put a dent in sales. This group is just one example. If we can get petitions passed around and send them in with a strong letter, followed by a 1 week boycott from everyone who signed, it would definitely get people's attention.

bludupree
04-29-2005, 01:24 AM
You, bludupree, have reached the final step on the Hierarchy of Needs Triangle

Self-actualization is the summit of Maslow's hierarchy of needs. It is the quest of reaching one's full potential as a person. Unlike lower level needs, this need is never fully satisfied; as one grows psychologically there are always new opportunities to continue to grow.

Self-actualized people tend to have needs such as:

Truth
Justice
Wisdom
Meaning
Self-actualized persons have frequent occurrences of peak experiences, which are energized moments of profound happiness and harmony. According to Maslow, only a small percentage of the population reaches the level of self-actualization.

That is pretty deep...hopefully we can all share in a peak experience in October.

MeanFish
04-29-2005, 09:29 AM
I agree with you about the tribune, however Chicago is a HUGE sports town. One thing I forgot to mention was that Mariotti also bashed the Illini calling it MOO U which hurts the enrollment of one of the state's great Universities.

Perhaps I'm in the wrong here, but my belief is that any school that has enrollment 38k strong is doing just fine in the admissions dept. Furthermore, I think a national championship appearance in basketbal is going to do more for them than Mariotti's rant can do against them.

Besides, if people don't go to UIUC, they'll just go to one of the state's *other* great universities. Worse things have happened.

Edit: My bad, it's only 37k.... :cool:

bludupree
04-29-2005, 09:37 AM
Perhaps I'm in the wrong here, but my belief is that any school that has enrollment 38k strong is doing just fine in the admissions dept. Furthermore, I think a national championship appearance in basketbal is going to do more for them than Mariotti's rant can do against them.

Besides, if people don't go to UIUC, they'll just go to one of the state's *other* great universities. Worse things have happened.

Edit: My bad, it's only 37k.... :cool:

I guess it may not significantly hurt overall enrollment, but it could definitely affect recruiting.

Hangar18
04-29-2005, 09:47 AM
Bludupree, this is something ive been noticing for quite some time now,
the medias outrageous conflict-of-interest lust for everything cub. Besides
trying my best to show everyone the best I can, thru my Media Watches,
how the Media time and again truly does not like the SOX and will take
great and unprecedented measures to ignore and disparage them, I also
do one little thing, and its something EVERYONE who posts here and even
those who lurk (you know you are).
Wear something that says SOX ....... everyday.

"Why do you wear sox stuff all the time?" I was once asked. My Answer?
Wearing SOX stuff is my special and secret way of saying F off to the Chicago Media. I wont let them tell me who to cheer for. And neither should you.
Just like the way the Media feels if they write Quadruple the amount of stories for the Cubs to win the hearts and minds of Chicago, so should you in wearing SOX related paraphernalia to offset the filth and propoganda they put out.

crazyozzie02
04-29-2005, 11:29 AM
I am all for this idea. If you need help getting it off the ground let me know