PDA

View Full Version : Roeper miffed Sox down to 6-1 in Vegas

Fenway
04-28-2005, 05:36 PM
Despite injuries and inconsistent play, the Cubbies remain popular with the wagering crowd. At the Mandalay Bay sports book, the Cubs are the favorites -- the FAVORITES -- to win the National League pennant, at 3-1.

The White Sox started at 12-1 to win the American League pennant, but their blazing start has prompted the bookmaker to lower the odds to 6-1.

Hey. The Sox are playing well and also winning fugly. But in order for that bet to pay off, you're talking about them getting into the playoffs, and then beating, say, the Yankees and the Red Sox in consecutive series.
I want more than 6-1 for that.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/roeper/cst-nws-roep28.html

Ol' No. 2
04-28-2005, 05:40 PM
Despite injuries and inconsistent play, the Cubbies remain popular with the wagering crowd. At the Mandalay Bay sports book, the Cubs are the favorites -- the FAVORITES -- to win the National League pennant, at 3-1.

The White Sox started at 12-1 to win the American League pennant, but their blazing start has prompted the bookmaker to lower the odds to 6-1.

Hey. The Sox are playing well and also winning fugly. But in order for that bet to pay off, you're talking about them getting into the playoffs, and then beating, say, the Yankees and the Red Sox in consecutive series.
I want more than 6-1 for that.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/roeper/cst-nws-roep28.htmlThis just goes to show what most people already knew. Vegas odds have a lot more to do with the betting action than the actual chances of winning. It's really supply and demand. As long as there are a lot of people who want to bet on the Cubs, there's no need to entice them with good odds.

batmanZoSo
04-28-2005, 05:40 PM
Are you saying we're no good?

bigfoot
04-28-2005, 06:47 PM
[QUOTE=fenway]Despite injuries and inconsistent play, the Cubbies remain popular with the wagering crowd. At the Mandalay Bay sports book, the Cubs are the favorites -- the FAVORITES -- to win the National League pennant, at 3-1.

"A fool and his money are soon parted"

A.T. Money
04-28-2005, 07:05 PM
Those odds are driven by the bets, not what oddsmakers think...

wulfy
04-28-2005, 08:08 PM
I'm sitting a $50 bet on 25-1 to odds from the Bellagio from before Opening Day.

Charno
04-28-2005, 08:48 PM
As long as there are a lot of people who want to bet on the Cubs, there's no need to entice them with good odds.
Entice them with good odds? :?:

Ol' No. 2
04-28-2005, 08:56 PM
Entice them with good odds? :?:Odds are set to try to attract an equal amount of betting on both sides. The bookmaker takes his cut out of the middle (the odds aren't balanced). If there's too much action on one side, they adjust the odds to entice more betting on the other.

Charno
04-28-2005, 09:01 PM
Odds are set to try to attract an equal amount of betting on both sides. The bookmaker takes his cut out of the middle (the odds aren't balanced). If there's too much action on one side, they adjust the odds to entice more betting on the other.
Interesting. I suppose that makes sense.

Ol' No. 2
04-28-2005, 09:13 PM
Interesting. I suppose that makes sense.Not only does it make sense, it makes money. With an equal amount laid on both sides, there's no risk for the book.

Lip Man 1
04-28-2005, 09:56 PM
As Dan Jiggetts said on Chicago Tribune Live today (with Roeper on the panel...) the Cubs look like Wild Card at best, the Cardinals appear to be ready to make short work of the division again just like last year.

Lip