PDA

View Full Version : Royals taking over for Expos

kittle42
04-28-2005, 03:30 PM
For many years, some referred to the Expos as a AAAA team (somewhere between MLB and AAA). I think the Royals have officially taken over that distinction.

Man, they suck.

Baby Fisk
04-28-2005, 03:36 PM
During the Sox series, it seemed anything hit in the middle of the KC infield got through for a single. It was almost too sad to watch.
Almost. :yup:

doublem23
04-28-2005, 03:46 PM
Nothing can be as sad to watch as Miguel Ascencio's MLB debut against the Sox... 16 pitches, 16 balls.

Ouch.

johnnyg83
04-28-2005, 03:47 PM
Their payroll ($36 million) is like 5 million more than what the Yankees paid in luxury tax. And Mike Sweeney makes 30% of that 36 million. I hope they don't move to Vegas.

minastirith67
04-28-2005, 06:20 PM
If MLB were the Premiership, the Royals would be relegated.

whitesoxwilkes
04-28-2005, 07:20 PM
Nothing can be as sad to watch as Miguel Ascencio's MLB debut against the Sox... 16 pitches, 16 balls.

Ouch.

Thanks for dropping that name. I was telling everyone Saturday that it was Runyelvys Hernandez who did it and they all looked at me funny.

Niagara
04-28-2005, 09:34 PM
And people wonder why I don't drive an hour and a half, put up with KC traffic, pay to park and pay major league prices to see the crap they present at the K as major league baseball.:rolleyes:

I can watch these disasters in my lay-z-boy on Fox Sports.

Karl
04-28-2005, 10:57 PM
I went to one KC game at the Dome and it was one of the worst games I watched. The worst part was it was the middle of July and the air condition went out. The Royals are the worst team to watch in the Central, just boring Hell. Games against the Sox are the best followed by the Indians. I feel the Tigers series could get interesting after that crap Pudge started with us last timed we played.

Norberto7
04-28-2005, 11:08 PM
Man, I feel bad for Royals fans. Sure, I want them to suck because they're in the Central, but those guys take it too seriously. I haven't been to Kaufmann, but from what I hear and see on TV, the place seems like a gem. As a team, they've had a fair bit of success in their time in the league.

What is the situation there? Revenue problems? Poor ownership? Some combination?

It would be a shame to see baseball leave Kansas City, if it comes to that.

MUsoxfan
04-28-2005, 11:21 PM
As much as they screwed with the Sox, I loved watching their 2003 team. The Royals used to be a marquee team, and now their fans have nothing to look forward to besides football season. If they spend it, they will come. KC is dying for a winner

johnnyg83
04-29-2005, 12:27 AM
Part of the problem is Kaufmann. It's a great stadium in the middle of nowhere. You think the Cell has no restaurants or bars -- try Kaufmann -- where the nearest standlone bar is miles away -- not 31st & Princeton. They'll never build dowtown b/c Kaufmann is perfectly fine -- and meanwhile -- the city that used to be a baseball city in the 70s and 80s is now a Chiefs town.

The owner is David Glass former #2 at Wal-Mart. He has no allegiance to the area and if his Wal-Mart culture is telling he'll move the team shortly -- he's actually come out against a downtown ballpark. Doesn;t want he taxpayers to waste their money says Kaufmann is fine -- read between the lines -- he's going move them to Vegas or NW Arkansas. He's dropped payroll from almost 50 mil to 36 mil this year. This owner is not concerned with winning baseball. We need the Maloof Bros from Sacramento to buy the team.

popilius
04-29-2005, 01:24 AM
If the Royals do end up moving, say to Sacremento, I wonder how it will affect the divisional alignments? Would the A.L. West have 5 teams, and the Central have only 4?

:gulp:

AZChiSoxFan
04-29-2005, 12:06 PM
Part of the problem is Kaufmann. It's a great stadium in the middle of nowhere. You think the Cell has no restaurants or bars -- try Kaufmann -- where the nearest standlone bar is miles away -- not 31st & Princeton. They'll never build dowtown b/c Kaufmann is perfectly fine -- and meanwhile -- the city that used to be a baseball city in the 70s and 80s is now a Chiefs town.

The owner is David Glass former #2 at Wal-Mart. He has no allegiance to the area and if his Wal-Mart culture is telling he'll move the team shortly -- he's actually come out against a downtown ballpark. Doesn;t want he taxpayers to waste their money says Kaufmann is fine -- read between the lines -- he's going move them to Vegas or NW Arkansas. He's dropped payroll from almost 50 mil to 36 mil this year. This owner is not concerned with winning baseball. We need the Maloof Bros from Sacramento to buy the team.

I realize you are in KC, but I don't think it's accurate to say that DG has no allegiance to the area. He's from Missouri, and he was best friends with Ewing Kauffman. Given the very nice stadium they have and his long friendship with the Kauffman's, I find it extremely hard to believe he has any intention of moving the team. Regarding the stadium, in this day in age of owners holding cities hostage for new stadiums, I find it refreshing to see an owner not doing as much.

soltrain21
04-29-2005, 12:42 PM
If the Royals do end up moving, say to Sacremento, I wonder how it will affect the divisional alignments? Would the A.L. West have 5 teams, and the Central have only 4?

:gulp:

Move the Brewers back to the Al Central!

Blueprint1
04-29-2005, 01:15 PM

They also would have something to play for. Teams like the Royals, Pirates, Devil Rays coudnt just trade all their players to the Yankees, Cubs, and Red Sox.

Hitmen77
04-29-2005, 01:46 PM
When I was growing up, the Royals were one of the top franchises in MLB. They always had a great team and often made it to the post season. They also were popular with ABC to be shown on Monday Night Baseball. 20 years ago, they won the World Series. It's a shame their fortunes have dropped so far.

ondafarm
04-29-2005, 01:55 PM

If MLB was the Pacific League, the Royals would have folded and been brought back by Yahoo!

johnnyg83
05-01-2005, 01:05 AM
A few years ago they had a potential stud rotation: Chris George, Zach Greinke, Jimmy Gobble, Jeremy Affeldt, Runelvyes Hernandez, Miquel Ascencio, Dan Reichert and Colt Something #12 pick in the first round draft.

Now it's Lima and Brian Anderson. Greinke still has great stuff, but he;ll be gone ASAP and Sweeney may be gone be June 1.