PDA

View Full Version : The Passion of the Crede

Baby Fisk
04-28-2005, 01:53 PM
One positive thing coming out of the Oakland series is the sudden appearence of something Crede has been sorely lacking: PASSION. He was fired up and showing his spirit out there, especially after the non-hit-by-pitch incident. I've never liked his utterly blank-faced approach to the game. HR or K, his face never shows any interest in what's going on. I like seeing the passionate side of Crede and hope he brings out more of this in the future.

Corlose 15
04-28-2005, 02:00 PM
He was pretty pissed in Minnesota when they blew that call at third base.

That being said I don't really care if Crede has passion or not just as long as he continues to hit the ball.

Hangar18
04-28-2005, 02:00 PM
Yes, I do like seeing the passion he displayed, especially yesterday.
Hoping he may have finally turned the corner for us. I definitely saw
how athletic he really is, he played flawless at SS for us .......

Uncle_Patrick
04-28-2005, 02:02 PM
Yes, I do like seeing the passion he displayed, especially yesterday.
Hoping he may have finally turned the corner for us. I definitely saw
how athletic he really is, he played flawless at SS for us .......

I think he just might be turning that corner. It'd be so great that if this year Crede and Garland turned into the players we've hoped they'd be.

Fungo
04-28-2005, 02:06 PM
He was pretty pissed in Minnesota when they blew that call at third base.

That being said I don't really care if Crede has passion or not just as long as he continues to hit the ball.I was surprised Ozzie even bothered to come out there yesterday in Oakland. I think he was sleeping in Minnesota when that play with Hunter happened at third. Minnesota was the first time I've ever seen Crede show any emotion and for Ozzie not to come out there when the quietest player on the team is throwing a fit was Manuel-esque.

MUScholar21
04-28-2005, 02:09 PM
Forget emotion, I'll take anything that makes me believe he still has a pulse. Maybe even he realizes his act is getting tired, and that he has to start producing. When even Danny Mac wants to change his name from the lamb, you KNOW he is turning around.

lowesox
04-28-2005, 02:14 PM
You know, I'm not so sure about this whole showing passion argument. Why does a player have to make a scene to show he's passionate? Don't get me wrong, I love seeing a guy who cares about every pitch like his life depends on it - but I think it's very possible for a player to feel that way inside and be stonefaced outside. In fact, I think it's a classy way to be. Sometimes, I think the big problem with athletes these days is there inability to control their emotions.

MUScholar21
04-28-2005, 02:19 PM
You know, I'm not so sure about this whole showing passion argument. Why does a player have to make a scene to show he's passionate? Don't get me wrong, I love seeing a guy who cares about every pitch like his life depends on it - but I think it's very possible for a player to feel that way inside and be stonefaced outside. In fact, I think it's a classy way to be. Sometimes, I think the big problem with athletes these days is there inability to control their emotions.

He doesn't have to make a scene, but Crede has sat out there year after year, acting like he could care less. It isn't even the Jon Garland, surfer boy attitude. It's the half-retarded, not-quite-all-there attitude of the catcher in Major League 2.

ja1022
04-28-2005, 02:19 PM
I have a lot of respect for Crede "taking one for the team". Your first instinct is to bail, and getting hit by a baseball, even a 70 mile an hour breaking ball, hurts.

Uncle_Patrick
04-28-2005, 02:22 PM
He doesn't have to make a scene, but Crede has sat out there year after year, acting like he could care less. It isn't even the Jon Garland, surfer boy attitude. It's the half-retarded, not-quite-all-there attitude of the catcher in Major League 2.

Crede struck me as a guy who ws insecure on the team. It seemed like he held everything in because he was scared and was unsure of his place on the team. I like that he shows a little more passion now. It seems to me like he's a bit more comfortable.

I don't think anyone is asking him to become the next Carlos Zambrano.

Baby Fisk
04-28-2005, 02:26 PM
I don't think anyone is asking him to become the next Carlos Zambrano.

Dear god no.

I agree with what was said above: Crede troubled me because it always looks like he either doesn't care or is in over his head.

batmanZoSo
04-28-2005, 02:31 PM
Dear god no.

I agree with what was said above: Crede troubled me because it always looks like he either doesn't care or is in over his head.

Looks like is the key. I know he cares, but he's definitely been in over his head until this year. He's just a mellow guy, and probably shy. I fully agree with U_P on this one, he was timid and insecure (maybe with good reason at times) and probably didn't feel like he deserved to play every day given how he was hitting. If he keeps hitting like this, there'll be no doubt in his mind--if there ever was--that he belongs and you'll see more fire out of him like we did yesterday. He's becoming more comfortable with his place on this team.

tstrike2000
04-28-2005, 02:54 PM
Absolutely. There's been so many at bats in the past where Crede has the deer caught in the headlights look. In talking to him at Soxfest, he's a fairly soft spoken subdued guy, although pretty funny after a few beers. He knew his back was against the wall and hopefully that, plus being on a team with guys like Ozzie as manager and Everett will keep that spark for him going.

Knockoutinthepar
04-28-2005, 03:03 PM
I'll credit Pierzynski for these eruptions. More ballplayers need to be like him: Warriors whose essence lies in their game--in the same way that Ajax, once he dishonors, himself can no longer be Ajax until he is dead.

Uncle_Patrick
04-28-2005, 03:08 PM
Looks like is the key. I know he cares, but he's definitely been in over his head until this year. He's just a mellow guy, and probably shy. I fully agree with U_P on this one, he was timid and insecure (maybe with good reason at times) and probably didn't feel like he deserved to play every day given how he was hitting. If he keeps hitting like this, there'll be no doubt in his mind--if there ever was--that he belongs and you'll see more fire out of him like we did yesterday. He's becoming more comfortable with his place on this team.

Exactly. I think the better he hits, the more comfortable he becomes, the more he feels that he belongs.

HebrewHammer
04-28-2005, 03:10 PM
I think he just might be turning that corner. It'd be so great that if this year Crede and Garland turned into the players we've hoped they'd be.

I've been in the anti-Crede, anti-Garland camp and nothing would make me happier if the Crede and Garland we're seeing now is the real Crede and Garland.

Banix12
04-28-2005, 03:18 PM
As much as I like Crede showing some passion I still think he should have bit his tounge and just swallowed his anger yesterday. He was playing out of position and we didn't have an extra infielder. We needed him to stay in the game yesterday. He needs to be aware of the situation so we don't get stuck playing Dye at SS. Nothing came of Dye being out there because nothing was hit to him, but still if that had cost us the game, it would have been Crede's fault for not being out there.

lowesox
04-28-2005, 03:25 PM
I find it interesting how many fans there are out there who put so much stock in how much excitement a player shows. I guess things in sports have just changed over the years. Personally, I'd much rather see a guy hit a 3-run homer off a rival pitcher and run the bases stonefaced, then see him punching the air like an idiot.

Knockoutinthepar
04-28-2005, 03:30 PM
Personally, I'd much rather see a guy hit a 3-run homer off a rival pitcher and run the bases stonefaced, then see him punching the air like an idiot.

The only thing that makes a home run worth while is the humanity behind it.

lowesox
04-28-2005, 03:36 PM
The only thing that makes a home run worth while is the humanity behind it.

I remember watching Notre Dame games when Lou Holtz was the coach. Lou had a philosophy on players taking their helmets off. He felt that if you took your helmet off to celebrate running for a touchdown, you should have to take your helmet off after you fumble the ball. I loved the kind of thinking.

Isn't the greatest thing in sports beating the hell out of your opponent in the classiest possible way?

balke
04-28-2005, 03:39 PM
I partially agree about passion. I think the biggest thing forever was that Crede had no confidence. He always looked like a sick kid moping around the field, struggling and kicking himself for sucking.

Now that he's got his bat fixed, he's got the talent and confidence to be better than ever, at least for a while.

Baby Fisk
04-28-2005, 03:40 PM
All I'm saying is that I like seeing Crede play and act like he gives a damn, which to this point he really hasn't. I don't need to see him doing bunny hops or roaring fist pumps or pointing to heaven after every hit.

Good example of passion: Crede during Wednesday's game
Bad example of passion: the buffoon-like antics of "George the Animal" Lima.

Ol' No. 2
04-28-2005, 05:25 PM
You know, I'm not so sure about this whole showing passion argument. Why does a player have to make a scene to show he's passionate? Don't get me wrong, I love seeing a guy who cares about every pitch like his life depends on it - but I think it's very possible for a player to feel that way inside and be stonefaced outside. In fact, I think it's a classy way to be. Sometimes, I think the big problem with athletes these days is there inability to control their emotions.I'm with you 100% on this. Just because a guy isn't jumping up and down and throwing stuff doesn't mean he doesn't care. People are all different. Don't suppose he isn't trying or doesn't care because he doesn't react the way you would or the way you think he should.

JohnBasedowYoda
04-28-2005, 06:42 PM
can we pencil in "Passion" as his new nickname? I like it, blaspheme or not.