PDA

View Full Version : Fernando Vina?

ChiSoxRowand
04-28-2005, 11:08 AM
What the hell happened to Fernando Vina? I started thinking about this after the Sox game yesterday. Who knows how many times he leaned into a pitch and it didn't get called. I know he was hurt for most of 2003 and he was with the Tigers last year.

itsnotrequired
04-28-2005, 11:30 AM
Vina led the league in both 1994 and 2000 for getting hit by pitches. Was in the top 10 every year of his career. Too bad "getting called back after hit by pitch" isn't an official stat.:D:

He is also 14th all time for total times hit by pitch (157). Biggio is the current active leader having been hit 259 times! When you look at total at bats though, Vina gets clipped at a rate of roughly every 27 at bats while Biggio gets hit only every 36 at bats.

HOFer Hughie Jennings is the all time leader having been hit 287 times. With only 4904 ABs, we're talking about getting hit once every 17 at bats! Thats like once every four games!

So to answer your question, I don't know what happened to Vina.:rolleyes:

Spicoli
04-28-2005, 01:06 PM
Either he is out for the entire season or he retired because he couldn't make a full recovery. Basically, he started a trend in Detroit that Maggs is capitalizing on now too.