PDA

View Full Version : My Letter To Selig About Wendelstedt

JUribe1989
04-27-2005, 11:01 PM
Dear Mr. Selig,

I am a long time fan of the great sport that you are the commissioner of, and I feel you have done an excellent job. However, I noticed some flaws on the part of the officiating I witnessed in a series between the Chicago White Sox and Oakland Athletics from April 25-April 27. There was one call I especially noticed in the April 27 game. I do not usually criticize umpires, but I felt how Hunter Wendelstedt treated Joe Crede was wrong and deserves some form of punishment.

Justin Duchscherer delivered a 1-2 pitch to White Sox third basemen Joe Crede. The pitch hit Crede in the elbow and should have loaded the bases. However, Mr. Wendelstedt ruled that Joe Crede put his elbow in the way to get hit, and made him return to the batter’s box to finish the at bat. Crede never left the batter’s box and used his right as a batter to move his shoulder to avoid the pitch. The pitch was also a curveball, which is very hard for a hitter to tell which way it will break. The MLB rulebook states that a batter may move his shoulder over the plate and will still be awarded first base.

Manager Ozzie Guillen rightfully left the dugout to argue the call and was ejected for arguing. As Guillen walked away, Wendelstedt shouted two profanities as Guillen and did not show responsibility as an umpire not to argue back. He yelled “(expletive) off! (expletive) off!” Crede then proceeded to pop out and threw his bat on the ground in frustration as many players do. Wendelstedt immediately ejected Crede from the game and forced the White Sox to have their rightfielder Jermaine Dye play shortstop. It was ridiculous for a team’s lineup to be decided by a man behind the plate. I have never witnessed a player thrown out after throwing his bat. Maybe Crede should have been fined, but it was ridiculous to throw him out.

You may remember a history between Wendelstedt and Guillen. The feud between these two started in August 2004 when Wendelstedt ruled Carlos Lee out at second base on a first-inning stolen base attempt, even though replays showed Lee to be safe. Guillen alleges that Wendelstedt told him he was a rookie manager and said “You don’t know what you’re talking about.” I find it strange that this is the same crew that had a problem with Guillen back in August. I have never seen a batter hit with a pitch and forced to return to the batter’s box. I find it very strange that Wendelstedt chose to make this rare call when Ozzie Guillen was the manager in a game he was officiating.

I ask you just to watch the video from this game and see the call for yourself, and I think you will find you were as shocked as I was at how much Hunter Wendelstedt took over the game and ultimately led to a White Sox loss. There are many good umpires in this game, but Hunter Wendelstedt is a disgrace to the honorable umpires. Thank you very much for your time.

Sincerely,

Connor Smith

chisoxmike
04-27-2005, 11:03 PM
To be honest, that will be sent to the shredder twice.

JUribe1989
04-27-2005, 11:04 PM
To be honest, that will be sent to the shredder twice.

Yeah it probably will be, but you never know until you try.

Irishsox1
04-27-2005, 11:04 PM
In 23 years I've NEVER seen a hit batsmen sent back to the plate...NEVER!!!!!!

Dub25
04-27-2005, 11:05 PM
Yeah it probably will be, but you never know until you try.

I agree. Lets us know if you get a response.

Daver
04-27-2005, 11:07 PM
Bud Selig doing an excellent job?

LMAO!

JUribe1989
04-27-2005, 11:08 PM
I agree. Lets us know if you get a response.

I'll make sure to post in this thread if I get a response. Though, I highly doubt I will.

Ol' No. 2
04-27-2005, 11:10 PM

LMAO!Yeah, that part got me, too. That's when he's going to know you're BS'ing him.

JB98
04-27-2005, 11:12 PM
In 23 years I've NEVER seen a hit batsmen sent back to the plate...NEVER!!!!!!

I saw it happen to Fisk once too. This was only the second time I've seen that call made.

CubsfansareDRUNK
04-27-2005, 11:13 PM
you brown noser.

j/k, nice letter

Viva Medias B's
04-27-2005, 11:14 PM
I'll make sure to post in this thread if I get a response. Though, I highly doubt I will.

If you do, it'll probably be some form letter in which Uncle Bud BS's you.

jake27
04-27-2005, 11:14 PM

LMAO!you gotta get his attention some how :tongue:

shoota
04-27-2005, 11:18 PM
Dear Mr. Selig,

Very well written JUribe1989. I wouldn't be suprised if Selig responded to that letter. As a Sox fan who is too lazy to write a letter, but glad one was sent on our behalf, thank you for standing up for us.

Rocklive99
04-27-2005, 11:19 PM
No offense, but I doubt he gives 2 turds about any fan's opinion, but I agree something has to be done, the whole series situation was ridiculous, and I hope that KW or Reinsy urges MLB to look into it

SABRSox
04-27-2005, 11:21 PM
Just an FYI, don't send it in an envelope that you hand write the address on. Type it out, otherwise they'll assume it's fanmail (or more likely hate mail) and just toss it.

Best bet is to print from a computer the address on the envelope, or if you're really serious, send it FedEx.

JB98
04-27-2005, 11:21 PM
No offense, but I doubt he gives 2 turds about any fan's opinion, but I agree something has to be done, the whole series situation was ridiculous, and I hope that KW or Reinsy urges MLB to look into it

Yeah, one fan is unlikely to make a difference. Unless the club files a formal complaint, I doubt Selig will pay any attention to the situation.

DumpJerry
04-27-2005, 11:43 PM
Just an FYI, don't send it in an envelope that you hand write the address on. Type it out, otherwise they'll assume it's fanmail (or more likely hate mail) and just toss it.

Best bet is to print from a computer the address on the envelope, or if you're really serious, send it FedEx.
Have a lawyer write it on letterhead and send it in his/her stationary envelope.

Seriously, though, does anyone know if MLB does the same thing the NFL does in that after each weekend of games, the league officials watch tapes of every play of all the games played and rate all the field officials for their conduct on each and every play? This might be too hard to do with MLB since there are many more games each week (28 vs. a few hundred) and more plays per game (all those foul balls), so it might not be possible. I wonder if it is possible for a MLB team to bring to the attention of Commissioner's Office that an umpire's conduct that appears to be less than the standard expected of them in a particular game.

I once was at a game in Minneapolis between the Twins and Tigers where Kirk Gibson was tagged out twice at home by the Tim Engle and then step on Home and was called safe by Vic Voltaggio (all on the same play!). Engle had blocked the plate about 5 or 6 feet in front, collided with Gibson (no call and held onto the ball), Gibson ran over Home without contact. Engle then tagged him with the ball in his bare hand on the arm two feet in front of Voltaggio who was looking at the tag. No call. Then Gibson tagged home. Called safe. This was in the 10th inning and gave the Tigers a victory. Put the Tigers further into first (this was August, 1984) and prevented the Twins from moving into a first place tie with the Angels. The person who advanced to Second on the play (our own Chet Lemon) then scored with two outs shortly thereafter. Tim Tuefel homered for the Twins in the bottom of the 10th as the Twins lost by one run when they should have won with the walk-off.

Moral of the story: Voltaggio's crew did the World Series that year. Without Voltaggio. Other moral: Good thing for Voltaggio he did not do this against the Sox at Comiskey.

DumpJerry
04-27-2005, 11:45 PM
Yeah, one fan is unlikely to make a difference. Unless the club files a formal complaint, I doubt Selig will pay any attention to the situation.
Maybe we should email KW to ask him about this? Do not email Brooks, he does marketing, not formal complaints!

Lip Man 1
04-27-2005, 11:48 PM
To bad you couldn't have included this is the letter. From tonight's Chicago Tribune story by Mark Gonzales:

"The front page of Wednesday's Oakland Tribune featured a photograph of catcher Chris Widger tagging Mark Kotsay's foot in front of home plate, although home plate umpire Bruce Froemming ruled Kotsay safe. That call allowed Oakland to tie the game 3-3 in the fifth inning Tuesday night."

Seeing after all is believing.

Lip

mealfred13
04-27-2005, 11:50 PM
To bad you couldn't have included this is the letter. From tonight's Chicago Tribune story by Mark Gonzales:

"The front page of Wednesday's Oakland Tribune featured a photograph of catcher Chris Widger tagging Mark Kotsay's foot in front of home plate, although home plate umpire Bruce Froemming ruled Kotsay safe. That call allowed Oakland to tie the game 3-3 in the fifth inning Tuesday night."

Lip

Yeah, I wanted to mention that too. Not only did the crew blow calls in this game, but they butchered the play at the plate which cost us another game. Not to mention the ridiculousness of warning our team not to retaliate for HBPs from the last game, and then watching the A's hit us 2 more times today with no ejections or warnings for the A's.

billyvsox
04-27-2005, 11:57 PM
Iv'e been watching games regularly for 35 years and have NEVER seen that call made on the HBP. It is clear that the Wendlestet-Froemming crew have it in for the sox or Ozzie.

If you watch the Twins regularly, they lean into pitches to get hit...sometimes into the strike zone and it is never ever ever ever called.

JUribe1989
04-27-2005, 11:59 PM
Iv'e been watching games regularly for 35 years and have NEVER seen that call made on the HBP. It is clear that the Wendlestet-Froemming crew have it in for the sox or Ozzie.

If you watch the Twins regularly, they lean into pitches to get hit...sometimes into the strike zone and it is never ever ever ever called.

Hawk and DJ's reactions said it all. I was as pissed as they were. Hawk said "Why is Froeming getting in to it? He couldn't see anything from where he was." Hawk doesn't just announce, he observes like a die hard fan and thats why I love him.

mealfred13
04-28-2005, 12:03 AM
Hawk and DJ's reactions said it all. I was as pissed as they were. Hawk said "Why is Froeming getting in to it? He couldn't see anything from where he was." Hawk doesn't just announce, he observes like a die hard fan and thats why I love him.

Froemming couldn't make a call that happened 3 feet in front of him yesterday, so what makes him think he can see Joe Crede lean into a pitch from 90 feet away while looking at his back.

Soxzilla
04-28-2005, 12:10 AM
Fernando Vina made a living leaning into pitches, and he was NEVER called back. I remember when he really hurt us that way when he wore that Tigers uniform.

Ridiculous how the A's were able to bean us twice in the game even though there was a formal warning.

Jjav829
04-28-2005, 12:15 AM
Fernando Vina made a living leaning into pitches, and he was NEVER called back. I remember when he really hurt us that way when he wore that Tigers uniform.

Ridiculous how the A's were able to bean us twice in the game even though there was a formal warning.

Fernando Vina was called back plenty of times. I'm surprised that some people are saying they've never seen anyone called back. Trust me, it happens a lot. Just because you don't see it, doesn't mean it isn't happening in baseball. Hell, I remember Bonds being called back just recently for the same thing. Craig Biggio, Jason Kendall, Vina, Bonds, etc. It happens a lot. I seem to recall this happening to David Ortiz in the not-too-distant past, as well.

Rocklive99
04-28-2005, 12:21 AM
Rooney and Farmer saying they haven't seen it in ages, that they've never seen a guy like Biggio called back. They weren't as mad about the call, but they wanted some uniform standard, not have it a HBP one night and get called back the next day.

I didn't see it, I heard they blew a play on Pods in that one double play, Farmer was hot

popilius
04-28-2005, 12:21 AM
Fernando Vina was called back plenty of times. I'm surprised that some people are saying they've never seen anyone called back. Trust me, it happens a lot. Just because you don't see it, doesn't mean it isn't happening in baseball. Hell, I remember Bonds being called back just recently for the same thing. Craig Biggio, Jason Kendall, Vina, Bonds, etc. It happens a lot. I seem to recall this happening to David Ortiz in the not-too-distant past, as well.

I agree with you here. . . I see it at least a couple times a year. When I played college ball, I saw it called a bunch, too.

:gulp:

Hokiesox
04-28-2005, 12:34 AM
Yeah, that part got me, too. That's when he's going to know you're BS'ing him.

I dunno, politicians do it all the time. EVERYDAY.

Sounded like a great letter to me. I still expect it to end up in the shredder. HW is not a great umpire, and, strangely, he runs the pro camp in Florida every January.

BarbG
04-28-2005, 12:35 AM

You and me both, billyvsox. 35 years - NEVER.

Corey Koskie, anyone? Wasn't he the most hit guy in the league last year? How many times was he called on it?

BridgePortNative
04-28-2005, 01:48 AM
Don't forget that bogus balk that was called on Marte :angry: that drove in the tie run at 7-7 IIRC.

IowaSox1971
04-28-2005, 04:02 AM
We've been burned many times by batters practically leaning OVER THE PLATE to be hit by pitches. I recall Eckstein doing this a lot when he was with the Angels. The only other time I've seen a hit batter not given first base was when Fisk was called back in the early '90s. Crede was not close to the plate, and even though he did lean into the pitch, he should have been able to take first base. It was a bad pitch and was thrown into the batter's box. Why would an ump suddenly start enforcing this rule on such a bad pitch during such an important part of the game?

It's also disturbing that the Athletics were not warned about hitting batters before the game. They should not be given the opportunity to brush hitters back while we're ordered to not retaliate for Oakland hitting four of our guys in the previous game. A similar thing happened last season when the Cubs hit 12 Pirates in a series. Pittsburgh did not hit any of the Cubs until the final inning of the series. For some ridiculous reason, that Pittsburgh pitcher was ejected.

TomParrish79
04-28-2005, 04:34 AM
Selig will most likely piss on that letter, Lou Brown style.

But I give ya props for writing it.

MHOUSE
04-28-2005, 05:36 AM
Just watched the Sportscenter highlight of today's game. They showed the HBP, showed the ump call him back to the plate. Then a replay and quote: "Joe Crede CLEARLY leans over the plate to get hit by the pitch." Ozzie getting tossed, Crede throwing the bat and get tossed. Quote: "(Crede says) 'For what?' "Because you threw the bat!"

Ok ESPN sucks and whatever, but please how can you take that series of events and act like the White Sox were being completely ridiculous. I've seen Giambi (this season) and others do more to get HBP than Crede did(n't). Then getting tossed for throwing the bat? Milton Bradley breaks bats over his knee in frustration and nothing happens. Give me a break umpire and PLEASE shut up ESPN. Had that happened to another AL thirdbaseman like....A-Rod and they'd be asking Reynolds and Kruk about the crappy umpiring. :angry:

voodoochile
04-28-2005, 10:31 AM
Sorry... I couldn't reisist...:D:

skottyj242
04-28-2005, 10:41 AM
Since when can Sox fans read let alone write a letter?

Iwritecode
04-28-2005, 10:49 AM
Sorry... I couldn't reisist...:D:

Only half the people on this board are going to get that joke... :wink:

voodoochile
04-28-2005, 10:51 AM
Only half the people on this board are going to get that joke... :wink:

I am pretty sure that thread continues on the Steeler's board, but the original post and most of the replies have long since been dumped from the ESPN servers. The guy who did it claims it was on purpose (I think all those people who claimed they had done something similar to attract attention finally sunk in).

Hangar18
04-28-2005, 11:01 AM
Thats an EXCELLENT letter, and I especially liked how you used
an actual RULE in the MLB rulebook to show Wendelstedt is a jackass
and a poor umpire. If this had happened to the other team, Murphy
wouldve dedicated the whole show and inspired their sheep-like fans
to start a letter writing campaign and Mike & Mike wouldve REGURGITATED
this into how "great" their "fans" are. Instead, noone is talking about
it (save for Fox). How will people realize that the SOX were ROBBED
in 2 games because the Umpires were
1: LAZY
2: OUT OF POSITION
3: BIASED
4: IGNORANT OF MLB RULES (which is worse)

Umpires are human ........OK fine. But missing that many calls, calls
that determined the Outcomes in 2 games? Im sorry, thats piss poor.
They are paid to do a Job, and they cant do that right. bogus.

Flight #24
04-28-2005, 11:17 AM
Umpires are human ........OK fine. But missing that many calls, calls
that determined the Outcomes in 2 games? Im sorry, thats piss poor.
They are paid to do a Job, and they cant do that right. bogus.

Unfortunately, the calls in this series were so consistently bad and in one direction only, that I'm not convinced that they didn't do the job they were PAID to do exactly as they intended to.

BRDSR
04-28-2005, 11:46 AM
Unfortunately, the calls in this series were so consistently bad and in one direction only, that I'm not convinced that they didn't do the job they were PAID to do exactly as they intended to.

Them's fightin' words, Flight.

I seriously doubt that the umpiring crew was paid off to make those calls. If they were paid off they wouldn't have been blowing such obvious calls, they would have done subtler things to hurt the Sox.

That said, I doubt that Wendelstedt's fued with Guillen didn't come into play this week. For some reason HW has been trying to show Guillen up for two seasons now, and its really sad. When an umpire has a bigger ego than a manager and uses his position of authority to take advantage of that, MLB needs to take a serious look at whether or not that umpire should continue to work for MLB.

The last two games were poorly played by the White Sox, theres no way around that. However, with two well-officiated games instead of none, the Sox probably come away at least one and one. It's really too bad that the umpiring crew cost the Sox a game that will become valuable down the stretch.

Soxzilla
04-28-2005, 12:29 PM

Iunno.

Did you see Ozuna's steal in the first inning of the first game.

He was tagged twice before he reached the bag. The officiating was horribly bad all around... but you're right, it favored Oakland more so (Especially since the Ozuna call had no importance in the outcome of that inning, let alone game).

daveeym
04-28-2005, 12:35 PM
Fernando Vina was called back plenty of times. I'm surprised that some people are saying they've never seen anyone called back. Trust me, it happens a lot. Just because you don't see it, doesn't mean it isn't happening in baseball. Hell, I remember Bonds being called back just recently for the same thing. Craig Biggio, Jason Kendall, Vina, Bonds, etc. It happens a lot. I seem to recall this happening to David Ortiz in the not-too-distant past, as well. Amen brother, it's rare but it's called. Especially when it's that obvious. Man crede didn't "lean in" or "turn" into the pitch, he moved out of the way and then thrust his arm back into it. You have to take a fastball or sell it on a curve to get that call, and crede did neither.

Fenway
04-28-2005, 03:07 PM
When you send the letter make sure you DO NOT send it to New York

This address will insure he will read it

Baseball Commissioner Office

http://www.switchboard.com/img/space.gifhttp://www.switchboard.com/img/space.gif
777 E Wisconsin Ave
Suite 3060
Milwaukee, WI 53202-Phone: (414) 225-8900

Hangar18
04-28-2005, 03:16 PM
Dear Mr. Selig,
...................... I feel you have done an excellent job.

You had me at "I feel youve done an excellent job".

j/k, good letter

Iwritecode
04-28-2005, 03:26 PM
I am pretty sure that thread continues on the Steeler's board,

:o: Are you serious?

Man, and I thought we had some long-running threads. That had to have been what 2001?

Hangar18
04-28-2005, 04:59 PM
When you send the letter make sure you DO NOT send it to New York

This address will insure he will read it

Baseball Commissioner Office

http://www.switchboard.com/img/space.gifhttp://www.switchboard.com/img/space.gif
777 E Wisconsin Ave
Suite 3060
Milwaukee, WI 53202-Phone: (414) 225-8900

Heres the Fax Number .... by the way. 414.225.8910
Goes DIRECTLY to the assistant to the commissioner

I just sent a giant picture ........of Widger clearly Tagging out the
runner that let them tie the score.

Wsoxmike59
04-28-2005, 07:51 PM
I found this tidbit on the Oakland Tribune website:

If an umpire were to make that rare call, it would be a Wendelstedt.

On May 31, 1968, the Dodgers' Don Drysdale's scoreless inning streak appeared over when he hit the Giants' Dick Dietz with the bases loaded in the ninth inning. http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/std/clear.gifhttp://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/std/clear.gif
Harry Wendelstedt, Hunter's father, ruled Dietz didn't get out of the way and ordered him back to the plate.
Drysdale escaped the inning, completed his fifth straight shutout en route to 58 consecutive scoreless innings.

Wsoxmike59
04-28-2005, 08:06 PM

Lip

Here is the picture and the caption "misidentifying" the play as Widger NOT TAGGING A's outfielder Mark Kotsay.

http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site181/2005/0427/20050427__AS01_227_200.jpg http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/std/clear.gif http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/std/clear.gif White Sox catcher Chris Widger can't tag out the A's Mark Kotsay during the fifth inning of their game Tuesday night in Oakland. (Aric Crabb - STAFF PHOTO)

Mark Buehrle
04-28-2005, 09:28 PM
I hate that moron of an Umpire. Ugh, I can't stand corrupt people like him who end up greatly costing the team.

Also, I must add that your letter was very well written. I hope it gets to Selig, although I don't know how likely that is.

I want Mags back
04-28-2005, 09:33 PM
There's a saying(sort of)

about 95% of the time, when you have heard of a umpire, and know them by name, odds are they SUCK ASS. At the beginning of this series I thought we would have problems when I heard Wendelstedt and Frommings names during game 1.

Mark Buehrle
04-28-2005, 09:34 PM
Yeah, Jim Rome said something like that. He said something along the lines of "if I know an umpire's name, that is not a good thing."

kevingrt
04-28-2005, 09:39 PM
There's a saying(sort of)

about 95% of the time, when you have heard of a umpire, and know them by name, odds are they SUCK ASS. At the beginning of this series I thought we would have problems when I heard Wendelstedt and Frommings names during game 1.

Seems to be the best umps you never know. It just annoys me that Wendelstedt keeps rehashing the past with Ozzie. Yeah, umps make bad calls but to toss a coach and player about it?

Charno
04-28-2005, 10:05 PM
I found this tidbit on the Oakland Tribune website:

If an umpire were to make that rare call, it would be a Wendelstedt.

On May 31, 1968, the Dodgers' Don Drysdale's scoreless inning streak appeared over when he hit the Giants' Dick Dietz with the bases loaded in the ninth inning. http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/std/clear.gifhttp://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/std/clear.gif
Harry Wendelstedt, Hunter's father, ruled Dietz didn't get out of the way and ordered him back to the plate.
Drysdale escaped the inning, completed his fifth straight shutout en route to 58 consecutive scoreless innings.
Thats funny.

Huisj
04-29-2005, 12:07 AM
Yeah, Jim Rome said something like that. He said something along the lines of "if I know an umpire's name, that is not a good thing."

We said the same thing in high school. If you'd ask someone after a game if they'd noticed the umps, they never would say yes unless it had been a particularly badly umpired game.

People notice Wendlestumpy or whatever his name is way too much.

RavenswoodFan
04-29-2005, 12:31 AM
Is there any way to find out if and when Wendelstedt will be umping at Comiskey? That would be a time to fill up the place, and ride that jerk like a rodeo Bull!:smile: :woo-woo I think I lost some more teeth!