PDA

View Full Version : When The Sox Come Home Friday...

kevingrt
04-27-2005, 09:20 PM
I was wondering, do any of you guys think there should be a little video montage or something small to congratulate the Sox on coming back from the road trip with the number one record in the AL. Despite two of the crappiest games I have ever seen I would like to see a little video, something like they did for Carlos Lee's hit streka last year when he came back to the Cell.

Personally, I would love to see it and I just wanted to know your guy's thoughts on it. Anything to celebrate a fun Sox season so far is nice. They just got to keep it up and put this ugly series behind them.

NSSoxFan
04-27-2005, 09:22 PM
I was wondering, do any of you guys think there should be a little video montage or something small to congratulate the Sox on coming back from the road trip with the number one record in the AL. Despite two of the crappiest games I have ever seen I would like to see a little video, something like they did for Carlos Lee's hit streka last year when he came back to the Cell.

Personally, I would love to see it and I just wanted to know your guy's thoughts on it. Anything to celebrate a fun Sox season so far is nice. They just got to keep it up and put this ugly series behind them.

They make montages out of games in October not April.

JB98
04-27-2005, 09:51 PM

I agree. There's going to be about 12,000 brave souls out there Friday night. It's going to be 40 degrees and possibly raining. It isn't worth the effort.

MUsoxfan
04-27-2005, 11:58 PM
I was gonna go but I don't know how many errors I'm willing to subject myself to

ND_Sox_Fan
04-28-2005, 03:22 AM

We have seen over the last 3 seasons what happens when you lose in April. I don't care what month it is. When a team wins 16 out of 22 games (most against division opponents) they should be saluted!

Hokiesox
04-28-2005, 07:58 AM
Montages are for teams that have won something. The sox aint won anything but 16 regular season games, in April. Nothing to make a montage about.

Remember the old Bulls phrase? 72-10 don't mean nothing without the ring? something like that? Well, 16-4 don't mean anything in baseball.

04-28-2005, 08:20 AM
I agree. There's going to be about 12,000 brave souls out there Friday night. It's going to be 40 degrees and possibly raining. It isn't worth the effort.

Thats sad...what this team needs is about 25-30K screaming fans appaulding them for there effort so far...coming out into a empty house on a Friday Night would be a kick in the croutch...It was 30 degrees and flurries last Sat and the Flubs had 30K....lasat year I went to the Friday night game against the Twins in May with 1st place on the line and it was cold and rainey and there was about 15K there tops (most of which were in the bullpen bar) and it pissed me off.

The Wimperoo
04-28-2005, 08:48 AM
I have tickets for Friday. What happens if the game gets rained out? Can I get my money back?

downstairs
04-28-2005, 08:59 AM

I think the ones in April now count as much as the ones in July, August and September?

I mean... the division is no lock, and I think its fair to say the regular season is the most important thing now. Are you talking playoffs already?

The fact that we have a 10-games-over-500 padding to play with for the last 7/8ths of the season is huge. Yeah, MIN is on our tail... but we could basically go slightly under 500 the rest of the season and *still* be in contention.

This pads us from things like injuries, poorly managed games, bad luck, bad umps, etc.

crazyozzie02
04-28-2005, 09:04 AM
NO. End of Story. Like what has been said before, you cant win anything in april. Sure the road trip was good, but we cant do that everytime they have a good road trip. Save if for later

SSN721
04-28-2005, 09:09 AM
No, it is ridiculous I think, they did a good job, put together a highlight reel of the season after they make it into the playoffs. october is all that really counts. You can make a season montage, but not one roadtrip in April. Especially a roadtrip that finished so poorly. I dont blame the team entiredly for the last two games, but I dont want to see any highlights or be reminded of the last two games for a multitude of reasons.

Jerko
04-28-2005, 09:11 AM
I don't care about montages or any of that crap, but the Tigers basically won their division in April the year they beat the Cub,, oops, Padres in the WS.

JKryl
04-28-2005, 10:58 AM
Montages are for teams that have won something.

You would think so, but the Sox management grabs onto anything they can. If they think of it, (or read the WSI boards) expect the montage. Remember, Brooks' job is to promote a team, win or lose. Winning just makes it easier.

mweflen
04-28-2005, 11:03 AM
the weather forecast I saw (in today's Cubune) was for mid to low 50s all week, no rain.

batmanZoSo
04-28-2005, 11:25 AM
the weather forecast I saw (in today's Cubune) was for mid to low 50s all week, no rain.

Yeah, on Yahoo, the 5-day ranges from 55-59.

Tomorrow: Mostly cloudy skies with a few showers later in the day. High near 55F. Winds ENE at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 40%.

Tomorrow night: Occasional rain tapering to a few showers late. Low 42F. Winds NNE at 15 to 25 mph. Chance of rain 80%.

Doesn't look too bad, probably just a few drizzles like they had in Oakland. It's not sell-out weather, but it's not 10,000 weather either.

LVSoxFan
04-28-2005, 11:26 AM
It's supposed to rain tomorrow night, but man have the weather forecasts been off the mark so far this year.

Who cares? I'll be there. I managed to score 4th row LF outfield seats, seat 1. I'm pysched!

It can be a monsoon and you'll see me out there anyway! Crazy guy in black Sox jersey, dancing to Nancy's lame version of Maroon 5's "This Love."

skobabe8
04-28-2005, 11:58 AM
It's supposed to rain tomorrow night, but man have the weather forecasts been off the mark so far this year.

Who cares? I'll be there. I managed to score 4th row LF outfield seats, seat 1. I'm pysched!

It can be a monsoon and you'll see me out there anyway! Crazy guy in black Sox jersey, dancing to Nancy's lame version of Maroon 5's "This Love."

Was that a jab at Nancy? :mad:

LVSoxFan
04-28-2005, 12:02 PM
No, just her version of that song, LOL. Then again, what rock song sounds good played on an organ?

:bandance:

havelj
04-28-2005, 12:06 PM
Bad idea.

It's frickin' April 28th and it was a solid trip - not awesome. Beating Detoit, KC and a weak-hitting Oakland team is nice and fuzzy, but not something to go crazy about. "Expect victory."

As far as tomorrow's game, it will be poorly attended, accept it. STOP, stop, stop talking about attendence and more about wins, losses, injuries, Frank coming back, etc.

Once again: Avoid your keyboard from typing the word attendance.

LVSoxFan
04-28-2005, 12:09 PM
Um, it's "attendance" dude!

And so what if it's scarce tomorrow? More room for me!

JB98
04-28-2005, 12:59 PM
Bad idea.

It's frickin' April 28th and it was a solid trip - not awesome. Beating Detoit, KC and a weak-hitting Oakland team is nice and fuzzy, but not something to go crazy about. "Expect victory."

As far as tomorrow's game, it will be poorly attended, accept it. STOP, stop, stop talking about attendence and more about wins, losses, injuries, Frank coming back, etc.

Amen. Those who think 30,000 are going to show up at the Cell Friday night are setting themselves up for disappointment. As a general rule, night games in April/early May are miserable. I have to work both Friday night and Saturday night, but even if I didn't, I probably wouldn't go. I'll be there for the Sunday afternoon game. Hopefully, the sun will be out, and JG will improve to 5-0. :supernana: :supernana:

cbrownson13
04-28-2005, 01:07 PM
I'll be there Friday night, SEC 103, Row 3.

Yeah, the forecast is calling for PM showers, but the forecast has also been calling for rain this whole week and we have gotten none. Called for rain today, been sunny skies. I'm optimistic. I can handle a little chill in the air, especially since it's my first game this year.

I'll be there in my Frank Thomas Auburn jersey. Say hi if you see me.

Cubbiesuck13
04-28-2005, 02:07 PM
Bad idea.

Winning teams, teams that are in first, teams that are the best in baseball, have good turnouts for games. No one can blame fans for not going to games if the team isn't winning but I for one will be very pissed if there isn't a good turnout. There isn't any reason not to.

Jjav829
04-28-2005, 03:35 PM
How about a montage of all the errors they committed on the roadtrip followed by a Tom Emanski video? :smile:

J/K...well, maybe not.

Chisox353014
04-28-2005, 04:09 PM
No, just her version of that song, LOL. Then again, what rock song sounds good played on an organ?

:bandance:In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida?

Cubsuck_a_lot
04-28-2005, 04:17 PM
Yeah, on Yahoo, the 5-day ranges from 55-59.

Doesn't look too bad, probably just a few drizzles like they had in Oakland. It's not sell-out weather, but it's not 10,000 weather either.

looks good to me. even if it were going to be cold, get your booze blankets on and youll need not worry about the weather :gulp:

Elvisfan1977
04-28-2005, 04:21 PM

Before everygame, before the Sox take the field there's a kick butt video montage about the team and it's history. It's got a great music track underneath and is a great motivator. It gives me goosebumps.

SpammySosa
04-28-2005, 04:21 PM

Maroon 5's version of "This Love" is lame,so what's your point?:wink:

rogersparkembarrassment
04-28-2005, 04:40 PM
The Best Tribute Is To Buy A Ticket And Tell Your Friends To Do The Same. Pack The House For These Guys!!!

maurice
04-28-2005, 04:43 PM
I bought RF tix for Friday's game a month ago to applaud Maggs in his glorious return to Chicago. Instead, I'll gladly applaud our Sox for a great season (so far).

I suspect there will be plenty of signs bearing messages such as: "Where's Magg$?"

ChiSox7
04-28-2005, 04:50 PM
Seriously. Let's wait until October to make montages. We haven't done anything yet. We have an incredibly hot streak, win 11 of 13, and only find ourselves 2.5 up on the Twins, and they've played pretty crappy so far. While it's awesome to have the record we do, it's certainly not the end of the road. We're going to have to keep playing good ball for when the other teams in our division get hot.

soxwon
04-28-2005, 04:57 PM

question:
had the sox come back home 18-4, would there be a sellout on friday?
my friend a loyal sox fan said he thought it would be?

i tended to disagree slightly.

whats your thoughts?

LVSoxFan
04-28-2005, 05:02 PM
I don't think anybody cares about Maggs. It will be good fun, though, when Sammy shows up with Baltimore.

Cooooooooor-ky! Coooooooor-ky! LOL. I remember that from two seasons ago. Right field: be there!

maurice
04-28-2005, 05:15 PM
It will be good fun, though, when Sammy shows up with Baltimore.

I have tix to that game as well, but I got them on the LF side, because RF is likely to be filled with bitter cub fans. Their club is paying Sosa to hit .295 for the 1st place team in the AL East.

Cubbiesuck13
04-28-2005, 05:32 PM
The Best Tribute Is To Buy A Ticket And Tell Your Friends To Do The Same. Pack The House For These Guys!!!

That is what happend in 2000 when they came home from a great road trip. And according to Dan Helpingstine's book Through hope and Despair, in 1971 fans showed up en masse for the home opener after they swept a double header to start the season against the A's. Showing support for after a good road trip is not uncommon for Sox fans; a video may be a bit much but I don't think a decent crowd should be too hard to pull off.

JB98
04-28-2005, 05:42 PM
question:
had the sox come back home 18-4, would there be a sellout on friday?
my friend a loyal sox fan said he thought it would be?

i tended to disagree slightly.

whats your thoughts?

The game will not sellout under ANY circumstance. We could be 22-0, and the stands would be half empty. That's the reality. The weather is going to suck. I go to tons of games during the course of the summer, but I stay away from the night games early in the season. I don't like to bundle up to go to a baseball game. It's that simple.

The sad reality is, we'll have at least five threads on this message board, scolding people for "failing to welcome back our first-place Sox." I always find that to be ridiculous, because I think most of the people on WSI love the Sox and go to more than their fair share of games. Personally, I work every Friday night and couldn't go if I wanted to. But what fun is it to go to the Cell and shiver for three hours? I know they'll be plenty of Sunday afternoons and beautiful summer nights ahead for me to go to the park and cheer on the Sox. If we really are a good team, then this won't be the last good roadtrip we have this season.

Cubbiesuck13
04-28-2005, 06:22 PM
The game will not sellout under ANY circumstance. We could be 22-0, and the stands would be half empty. That's the reality. The weather is going to suck. I go to tons of games during the course of the summer, but I stay away from the night games early in the season. I don't like to bundle up to go to a baseball game. It's that simple.

The sad reality is, we'll have at least five threads on this message board, scolding people for "failing to welcome back our first-place Sox." I always find that to be ridiculous, because I think most of the people on WSI love the Sox and go to more than their fair share of games. Personally, I work every Friday night and couldn't go if I wanted to. But what fun is it to go to the Cell and shiver for three hours? I know they'll be plenty of Sunday afternoons and beautiful summer nights ahead for me to go to the park and cheer on the Sox. If we really are a good team, then this won't be the last good roadtrip we have this season.

The pathetic Flubs have good crowds even at night. This is part of the reason why the Sox get a bad rap in the media. I am not calling anyone out for not going but more calling out the attitude that your post seems to portray.

JB98
04-28-2005, 06:43 PM
And what attitude would that be? That I only go to games when I want to? What's wrong with that?

I go to 20-25 Sox games a year. If every Sox fan did that, would we be talking about this ridiculous subject? I think not. I get sick and tired of Sox fans scolding other Sox fans about attendance. I get sick and tired of Sox fans blaming other Sox fans about the team's image in the media. Give it a rest.

kevingrt
04-28-2005, 08:43 PM
The pathetic Flubs have good crowds even at night. This is part of the reason why the Sox get a bad rap in the media. I am not calling anyone out for not going but more calling out the attitude that your post seems to portray.

They actually have a bigger fan base and it's a tourist event for some people. It's sick but true and it royally SUCKS!

WagMan
04-28-2005, 09:00 PM
That is what happend in 2000 when they came home from a great road trip.

I don't need a montage yet. But it would be nice to get a huge ovation from the crowd (however many are there) that is there when they're announcing the line ups or running on the field. :worship:

cwsfannick
04-28-2005, 10:02 PM
I'll be there Friday. Section 158. Go Sox!:smile:

Cubbiesuck13
04-29-2005, 06:48 AM
And what attitude would that be? That I only go to games when I want to? What's wrong with that?

I go to 20-25 Sox games a year. If every Sox fan did that, would we be talking about this ridiculous subject? I think not. I get sick and tired of Sox fans scolding other Sox fans about attendance. I get sick and tired of Sox fans blaming other Sox fans about the team's image in the media. Give it a rest.

I honestly don't care how many games you go to. I am talking about supporting a team when they are winning. If ever there was a chance to show up to some games this is it, a weekend series with a division rival.

JB98
04-29-2005, 11:25 AM
I honestly don't care how many games you go to. I am talking about supporting a team when they are winning. If ever there was a chance to show up to some games this is it, a weekend series with a division rival.

I still don't know what the hell you're talking about. I already said in this thread that I'm going to the game on Sunday. All I'm saying is, I don't blame people if they don't want to go out there tonight, sit in the rain and freeze their asses off. If they get 20,000 tonight, it would be a great crowd. Unfortunately, if they don't draw 30,000 tonight, we're going to be subjected to another round of "C'mon guys, support the team" kind of threads. I think that's ridiculous. Everyone on WSI supports the Sox.

Cubbiesuck13
04-29-2005, 12:17 PM
I still don't know what the hell you're talking about. I already said in this thread that I'm going to the game on Sunday. All I'm saying is, I don't blame people if they don't want to go out there tonight, sit in the rain and freeze their asses off. If they get 20,000 tonight, it would be a great crowd. Unfortunately, if they don't draw 30,000 tonight, we're going to be subjected to another round of "C'mon guys, support the team" kind of threads. I think that's ridiculous. Everyone on WSI supports the Sox.

Great. I am glad your going but like I said, I don't care if you go to every game. I just want to see a good crowd for a weekend series after they started so well. Sox fans have proved to do so in the past and I don't see any reason why they wouldn't keep it up.