PDA

View Full Version : MLB Umpiring

Viva Medias B's
04-27-2005, 06:18 PM
The umpiring crew we had in Oakland was brutal. How these guys continue to hold jobs is amazing. If you or I performed this way in our jobs the way these boobs do, we're be out of work. It's just our games where the umpires mess up. I have seen it occur throughout MLB. It's as if the quality of umpiring has been on the decline over the past several seasons.

There are some good umps out there. Tim McClelland comes to mind. However, their collective ineptitude is ruining the game. It is our game's nincompoop commissioner, believing the "human element" of the game must be preserved (whatever the hell that means), who opposes the use of instant replay. I say bring on instant replay. I do not care how long instant replay delays games. I do not care whatever other inconveniences occur as a result of instant replay. A balance must be made to counter the negative impact these umpires' ineptitude have upon the game.

If MLB won't do the right thing and institute instant replay, it ought to come up with a system to hold umpires themselves accountable for their blown calls. I say that if an umpire makes three blown calls in a season that cause a team to lose a ballgame, the umpire is terminated. If an umpire makes ten blown calls in a season, regardless of their individual impact on the ballgame, termination. What MLB should do is tell these umpires that if they don't get it together, they'll fire them and replace them with personnel who will.

Ol' No. 2
04-27-2005, 09:43 PM
The NFL has an interesting system to reward the better referees. They grade them all season long, and those that graded the highest got picked for the post-season (and, of course, the additional $$$). Plus, you ensure you have the best referees for the post-season games. Does MLB have any such system? How are the post-season umpires chosen?

Regardless of whether or not the umpires were out to get Ozzie and the Sox, they broke the cardinal rule of umpiring: they took over the game. This is becoming increasingly commonplace. I would like to thing the league will do something, but I'm not holding my breath.

SOX ADDICT '73
04-27-2005, 10:31 PM
You basically have two kinds of bad umpires: those who blow calls because they are inept, and those who "blow calls" because they have a hard-on for a particular player, manager, or team. Neither one deserves the privelege of umpiring in the major leagues.

If a player cannot cut it at the major league level, he is sent down to the minors. It's not his fault - we assume he's not trying to suck. Why can't they do the same for inept umpires? The threat of such a demotion, as well as the cut in pay that would hopefully ensue, might be enough to keep these guys sharp, and ensure that only the best umps would remain at the top level. At the very least, it would discourage guys like Wendelstedt and Froemming from exercising personal vendettas, the way they have these past two games.

BTW, who does hold umpires accountable for their bad calls? I don't recall a single instance of an ump being publicly disciplined by any kind of governing entity for blowing a call or acting like an ass (see below). It seems they are allowed to suck with impunity.

On this subject, who was the umpire two years ago that, in the ninth inning with a one-run deficit against the Twins, called Big Frank and Maggs out on consecutive check-swing third strikes from behind home plate? Each time, he refused to ask the opinion of the first base ump, instead getting in Magglio's face and shouting, "I don't have to ask anybody! I don't have to ask anybody!" He then had the audacity to toss Maggs from the game for protesting. Even the Scum-Times said the next day that "The home plate ump must have been late for a dinner date."

mealfred13
04-27-2005, 11:01 PM
On this subject, who was the umpire two years ago that, in the ninth inning with a one-run deficit against the Twins, called Big Frank and Maggs out on consecutive check-swing third strikes from behind home plate? Each time, he refused to ask the opinion of the first base ump, instead getting in Magglio's face and shouting, "I don't have to ask anybody! I don't have to ask anybody!" He then had the audacity to toss Maggs from the game for protesting. Even the Scum-Times said the next day that "The home plate ump must have been late for a dinner date."

Probably Wendelstedt.

shoota
04-27-2005, 11:35 PM
The umpiring crew we had in Oakland was brutal. How these guys continue to hold jobs is amazing. If you or I performed this way in our jobs the way these boobs do, we're be out of work. It's just our games where the umpires mess up. I have seen it occur throughout MLB. It's as if the quality of umpiring has been on the decline over the past several seasons.

There are some good umps out there. Tim McClelland comes to mind. However, their collective ineptitude is ruining the game. It is our game's nincompoop commissioner, believing the "human element" of the game must be preserved (whatever the hell that means), who opposes the use of instant replay. I say bring on instant replay. I do not care how long instant replay delays games. I do not care whatever other inconveniences occur as a result of instant replay. A balance must be made to counter the negative impact these umpires' ineptitude have upon the game.

If MLB won't do the right thing and institute instant replay, it ought to come up with a system to hold umpires themselves accountable for their blown calls. I say that if an umpire makes three blown calls in a season that cause a team to lose a ballgame, the umpire is terminated. If an umpire makes ten blown calls in a season, regardless of their individual impact on the ballgame, termination. What MLB should do is tell these umpires that if they don't get it together, they'll fire them and replace them with personnel who will.

I don't ever want to see instant replay in baseball. There's a difference between Umpires who make the wrong call on a bang-bang play, and ones who intentially try to influence the outcome because of a vendetta against a team/manager.

The Cheat
04-28-2005, 12:03 AM
The NFL has an interesting system to reward the better referees. They grade them all season long, and those that graded the highest got picked for the post-season (and, of course, the additional $$$). Plus, you ensure you have the best referees for the post-season games.

Remember that play in the Bears vs. Lions game?

Remember the guy who looked at the replay 20 times and somehow ruled that was NOT a catch?

He was the Head Ref at the Super Bowl. The NFL system is F'd up too.

ChiSoxRowand
04-28-2005, 11:15 AM
f**k instant replay. I'm even mixed about it in the NFL. I don't like waiting around 20 minutes for a call to be made. There should never be instant replay in baseball. Bad calls are part of the game. But the umpiring crew we had in Oakland needs to be reprimanded. As no. 2 said, baseball should just use the same system as the NFL for it's umpires.

ondafarm
04-28-2005, 11:57 AM
I don't like the idea of instant replay in baseball. Takes too long, messes up the flow of the game, etc.

On the other hand, I think ball and strike calling and even check swing calling can and should be handled by cameras ala Questec. It eliminates the 'umpire hates . . .' factor. The clearest example of this is Frank Thomas. In road games without Questec, his batting average is thirty points below his batting average in road games with Questec. Let me rephrase that: because the umpires hate Frank Thomas he has lost more than 200 hits and 40 homers over his career.

Hangar18
04-28-2005, 12:46 PM
On the other hand, I think ball and strike calling and even check swing calling can and should be handled by cameras ala Questec. It eliminates the 'umpire hates . . .' factor.

The clearest example of this is Frank Thomas.
In road games without Questec, his batting average is thirty points below
his batting average in road games with Questec.

Let me rephrase that: because the umpires hate Frank Thomas he has lost more than 200 hits and 40 homers over his career.

WOW !!!!!!!! That is compelling evidence. Frank had what was once considered the BEST BATTING EYE, and suddenly, for whatever reason (new strike zone?) the Umpires began making bogus calls on him. I like this
Questec Idea very very much

ondafarm
04-28-2005, 01:20 PM
WOW !!!!!!!! That is compelling evidence. Frank had what was once considered the BEST BATTING EYE, and suddenly, for whatever reason (new strike zone?) the Umpires began making bogus calls on him. I like this
Questec Idea very very much

I think you've miss interpreted what I meant to say. I think the umps have had it in for Frank for quite awhile and the appearance of Questec just demonstrated how badly they screwed him over because they couldn't when Questec was watching over their shoulder.

Wsoxmike59
04-28-2005, 08:42 PM
I could just hear it now over a PA System at a ballpark near you. "UPON FURTHER REVIEW......THE PLAY STANDS!"

http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site181/2005/0427/20050427__AS01_227_200.jpg http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/std/clear.gif http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/std/clear.gif White Sox catcher Chris Widger can't tag out the A's Mark Kotsay during the fifth inning of their game Tuesday night in Oakland. (Aric Crabb - STAFF PHOTO)

ExpoPuddingHead
04-28-2005, 08:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ondafarm
I don't like the idea of instant replay in baseball. Takes too long, messes up the flow of the game, etc.

HAHAHA, yeah, the flow of the baseball game is so important, it would take about 30 minutes an inning as opposed to 25.

This comment is obsolete when Mark Buerhle is Pitching

AZChiSoxFan
04-29-2005, 12:08 PM
I don't ever want to see instant replay in baseball.

Totally agree!!

HebrewHammer
04-29-2005, 12:44 PM
As bad as umprining in the MLB can get it is no where near as bad as the reffing in the NBA. There is one adequate ref in the ENTIRE NBA and he'll be retired soon. The rest are poor to dreadful with Dick Bavetta being crooked. Is there a questionable game that he HASN'T been involved in?