PDA

View Full Version : *Official* Biggest Steaming Pile of Umpiring ever, Sox "Lose" 4/27/05

Pages : [1] 2

buehrle4cy05
04-27-2005, 06:15 PM
Notice: If Anybody Goes To A Game This Year Where Hunter Wendlestat And/or Bruce Froemming Is Umpiring, Boo Them Mercilessly. Please!

gobears1987
:angry::angry::angry:
Last year he ****ed us at CLeveland with that BS ruling that Ozzie couldn't bring in righty Shingo Takatsu and had to bring in lefty Neil Cotts.

Now he ****ed us for the 2nd straight day here. MLB needs to fire his ass.

buehrle4cy05
Way to think on the same page.:angry::angry::angry::angry:

mweflen
:angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:: angry::angry:

This is just total B.S. The A's hit 6 guys in two games and the A's don't get a warning. They blow game-turning calls, and now this Wendlestedt chump (who is not even a pimple on his father's rear-end IIRC) lets his personal beef with the Sox and Ozzie possibly decide another one.

Something needs to be done about this crew. It's just total B.S. I hope KW is on the phone tonight chewing some MLB bureaucrat's ear off.

krohnjw
What happened here? Why did Ozzie and Crede get ejected after pop ups??? ( I am watching the play by play on the web right now)

mweflen
04-27-2005, 06:16 PM
looks like a thread consolidation is in order :redface:

mweflen
04-27-2005, 06:17 PM
A pitch hit Crede, and Wendlestedt did not award him the base because he didn't get out of the way. Ozzie came out to argue, he got tossed. Crede popped out and may or may not have said something, he got tossed.

Dan H
04-27-2005, 06:17 PM
I don't know what happened in Oakland, but the name of this thread is a little extreme.

buehrle4cy05
04-27-2005, 06:18 PM
Well, I Ozzie got ejected after Crede "leaned" into a pitch (which of course he didn't), and then Ozzie rightfully argued and got tossed and then Crede popped up, yelled, thew his bat and got tossed. So now Jermaine Dye is playing SS.

Unregistered
What happened here? Why did Ozzie and Crede get ejected after pop ups??? ( I am watching the play by play on the web right now)Crede was HIT BY A PITCH. Wendelstedt (sp?) said he "leaned into it" and it didn't count. Typical horse**** call against the Sox. Guillen was ejected for arguing the call.

Right after that, Crede popped up and slammed his bat, getting ejected.

seanpmurphy
He said Crede threw his bat and ejected him. Too bad Crede didn't throw the bat at him. I'd take that fine.

gobears1987
Remember This SOB had the cajones to say that Ozzie doesn't know what he's doing. This was 100% personal and and I hope the Sox security crew "accidently" allows a hoard of WSIers and other SOx fans strom the field when he umps there.

Unregistered
I don't know what happened in Oakland, but the name of this thread is a little extreme.Clearly you're not watching this game.

mweflen
Oh, I WILL remember this...

buehrle4cy05
04-27-2005, 06:19 PM
Thanks for costing us the series:angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

MRCEE
Is there a way we can see when they will be at the cell? cause ill get tickets :smile:

mweflen
Game over. Winning Pick to Click for Oakland: Hunter Wendlestedt.
:angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:: angry::angry::angry:

mealfred13
Gimme a f'in break......

Vestigio
Did Crede lean into the pitch or just didnt get out of the way? I'm listening to the game on the radio and it seems they said that he did not move. However I'm arguing with some guy that said that Crede leaned into the pitch

MRKARNO
04-27-2005, 06:20 PM
If Wendelstedt and Froemming arent publically reprimanded, then Bud Selig has no sense of justice.

Juice16
From game one I have never seen worse umpiring to begin the a baseball season. I'm speaking for and against the White Sox. This Oakland series has taken the cake. You have calls right in front of your face (tag at home last night, pods at first today) and you blow them. Twice this year we have given up runs on phantom balks. I have umped on many levels so I do know how hard it could be. The calls I am speaking of are blatent and unexecptable.

South Sider
back to earth where this team belongs

buehrle4cy05
I'm up for a Guillen bleep-laced rant into my pillow right now.:angry::whiner::angry::whiner::angry::whiner:

seanpmurphy
Did Crede lean into the pitch or just didnt get out of the way? I'm listening to the game on the radio and it seems they said that he did not move. However I'm arguing with some guy that said that Crede leaned into the pitch

The pitch was IN THE BATTER'S BOX.....Worst call ever.

Unregistered
Did Crede lean into the pitch or just didnt get out of the way? I'm listening to the game on the radio and it seems they said that he did not move. However I'm arguing with some guy that said that Crede leaned into the pitchHe threw it INTO the batters box. I don't understand how they make that call. Even Hawk and DJ were saying they NEVER see that call made. Ever.

MRKARNO
And the Umpires win the series 2-1

faneidde
Nuts and Bolts
Nuts and Bolts
WE GOT SCREWED!

Unregistered
04-27-2005, 06:21 PM
Man, what complete, disgusting, utter HORSE****. :angry: :angry: :angry:

Epark84
04-27-2005, 06:22 PM
:angry::angry::angry:
Last year he ****ed us at CLeveland with that BS ruling that Ozzie couldn't bring in righty Shingo Takatsu and had to bring in lefty Neil Cotts.

Now he ****ed us for the 2nd straight day here. MLB needs to fire his ass.

Its a baseball game. Yes he did a terrible job. Yes he blew calls they all did. Not cause for someone to die though I dont think. He didnt misplay the ball in CF that rowand did (dont give me the bleeping sun excuse). And he didnt give up the hit down the line. When its all said and done you have to perform on the field. Sox had their chances and blew it. Blaming the umps is the epitome of a cub fan.

ChiSox7
This game was not lost because of the umpiring. Whose to say Podsednik had any better chance.

This game was lost because our offense was pathetic and Aaron dropped a routine fly ball, which for the second time led to the losing run. If your offense keeps scoring low games against crappy pitchers, eventually the breaks are going to go in the other direction. Today they did and we paid for it.

Looked like the same old Sox the past two days. Can't win a division playing like this.

markfromthechi
i didnt get to watch the game - im a student in dreaded green bay - why are people saying the umpires won the series?

Thanks for any info

MUScholar21
Wendelstedt just turned the series on one pitch. Rooney and Farmer said it best: the umpires took over the game. They dictated the way it was going to end, and Wendelstedt showed an ability to let petty crap interfere.

I would be willing to bet Wendelstedt is the reason MLB warned Ozzie before the game.

batmanZoSo
Is it too late to switch to the National League? How about A's contraction? Anything. I do NOT want to have to play there ever again.

South Sider
04-27-2005, 06:23 PM
don't blame the umpires.

the sox never deserved to win this game
5 hits....4 GIDP....and countless popouts

we are still 16-6.......bur our record is better than the Sox actually are

Mohoney
I sure hope Ozzie totally laces into these turds.

Also, I know FOR A FACT that Wendelstedt used profanity after ejecting Ozzie. You could clearly read his lips: "You're ****ing gone!"

Total bush league.

seanpmurphy
Its a baseball game. Yes he did a terrible job. Yes he blew calls they all did. Not cause for someone to die though I dont think. He didnt misplay the ball in CF that rowand did (dont give me the bleeping sun excuse). And he didnt give up the hit down the line. When its all said and done you have to perform on the field. Sox had their chances and blew it. Blaming the umps is the epitome of a cub fan.

It's not blaming umps. It WAS the ump's fault. Obviously you're a minority in this opinion.

gobears1987
In most cases it is wrong to blame the umps, but in the case of Wendlestedt it isn't. It is always this one ump out to **** us in the ass. If you want a visual here it is:

:kermit
Wendlestedt is Kermit and we are the poor rabbit.

patbooyah

could you stop comparing us to cubs fans long enough to realize that you're wrong?

Epark84

He definitely leaned, but hes not the first player to do that. But if an A's player had done, hawk and DJ would have been bitching about that too. The umps had an awful series, the white sox did the last two games and hawk and DJ were brutal.

Uncle_Patrick
04-27-2005, 06:24 PM
The game was lost because the offense sucked. The umpiring was just icing on the cake. And the HBP call against Crede was B.S. The pitch was in the batter's box. Crede doesn't have to move.

koch44

:troll :dtroll:

mcfish
back to earth where this team belongsApparently the 16 wins so far haven't been enough for South Sider. :rolleyes:

ChiSox7
It was the umps fault last night. How is it the umps fault tonight? Joe had another swing. He popped it up. Who is to say that Scott would have had a better chance than him. I'd actually rather have Joe hitting again in that case.

Chisox003
04-27-2005, 06:25 PM

Please, stop.

We had chris widger at 3rd, crede at SS, willie at 2nd and without Uribe and gooch available....

Throw in the umps being absolute jag bags, give me a break....

"dont give me the sun excuse".....Ok buddy

Take that **** somewhere else

buehrle4cy05
Wendelstedt just turned the series on one pitch. Rooney and Farmer said it best: the umpires took over the game. They dictated the way it was going to end, and Wendelstedt showed an ability to let petty crap interfere.

I would be willing to bet Wendelstedt is the reason MLB warned Ozzie before the game.

I am an umpire for little kids, and if there are two rules, they are be loud, and never take over a game. :angry::angry::angry: Maybe we should send these guys an umping manual or something.

mealfred13
Yet another one of those games I wish I never watched. How the hell are these umpires allowed to continue to work.... How the hell do we get 6 guys HBP, no warnings, including pitches that were thrown RIGHT AT OUR PLAYERS?

That pitch that hit Crede was thrown AT HIM. The pitcher was trying to hit him and did! Even if he "leaned" into it, it was in the batter's box and no where near the plate and he gets the walk. After yesterday's horse**** filled umpiring, you'd think they'd get their heads out of their "donkeys" and do a better job today. If I were at that game, I would have punched the home plate umpire in the face. I don't know how Ozzie held back.

jake27
What happened here? Why did Ozzie and Crede get ejected after pop ups??? ( I am watching the play by play on the web right now)yes they both did. thankfully we had 2 people left on the bench and we didnt have to worry about running out of position players :tongue:

oeo
This game was not lost because of the umpiring. Whose to say Podsednik had any better chance.

This game was lost because our offense was pathetic and Aaron dropped a routine fly ball, which for the second time led to the losing run. If your offense keeps scoring low games against crappy pitchers, eventually the breaks are going to go in the other direction. Today they did and we paid for it.

Looked like the same old Sox the past two days. Can't win a division playing like this.

Yeah, but it gets into their heads...then they can't even catch fly balls, or make a play on a ground ball. The same old Sox with the same crappy umpiring right behind them. Don't deny it...even if our offense was pathetic, we've been winning games late in the game with pathetic offense. I'M SO PISSED!!!!!!! :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

BridgePortNative
04-27-2005, 06:26 PM
Geez these guys were terrible! Two straight days of several bad calls that cost us the game! :angry: 6 or 7 of our guys HBP and they say crap that Joe leaned into the pitch, the good throw by Pods yesterday to Widger at the plate cost us a run, the balke by Marte, which wasn't, close calls at the bases called outs, uhg.

SFC Payne

ma_deuce
Thank God Lt. Duece was not at home to see this farce of a ballgame. She would have broken the new TV for sure.

I can't believe this. Six batters hit and we get the ejection. Oakland isn't jinxed, it bought and sold.

I hope Ozzie cuts loose tonight. They stole this game.

Deuce

mweflen
It's not blaming the umps if their calls (or non calls) completely turn the game around. It's true the Sox did not play well in the last 2. But neither did the A's. Clearly blown calls last night cost us 2 leads, by the way. Calls today ended a rally.

Dibbs
I am really really ticked about these umps....BUT CAN WE CATCH A FREAKIN POPUP!!!!!!!!!1 UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

SoxFan48
A dropped fly ball last night (is Jermone Dye in the absence of any hitting going give us his daily 8th inning eroor) and a dropped fly ball today cost us the game. Hitting into four double plays (say hello again Jerome Dye) killed off a chance to get some runs on the board.

South Sider
:anon: :corpseball

DC Sox Fan
Someone tell Wendlestedt he can get off his knees now. He already blew the game.

Chisox003
04-27-2005, 06:27 PM
He definitely leaned, but hes not the first player to do that. But if an A's player had done, hawk and DJ would have been bitching about that too. The umps had an awful series, the white sox did the last two games and hawk and DJ were brutal.

Leaned where? Sure wasnt over the plate...

If the ball is in the batters box, what do you want him to do? Just stand there...He reacted by turning, and his elbow stuck out a little further, but it sure as hell wasnt over the plate, which the call was based on....

:rolleyes:

CubsfansareDRUNK
i dont even want to show up to school tomorrow. those idiots are gunna badger me and i cant use the umpires as an excuse.

koch44
How many times have we seen other players throw their bats after they POP UP?:angry::angry:

Epark84
It's not blaming umps. It WAS the ump's fault. Obviously you're a minority in this opinion.

The ump made rowand drop a fly ball? The ump executed a sacrifice bunt? And the ump gave up the game winning hit to scutaro? You cannot solely blame the umps. They didnt help, but its not like the sox played two great games the last two nights. Blaming umps for losses is a cop-out. Despite the umps ****ty calls it was still a 1-1 game. The ball didnt get hit to dye so you cant blame it on him being out of position. Yes the umps were horrible, but if it had been a different crew who made different calls you still might have lost the last two games. Its still a 6-2 road trip and they are 10 games over .500. Forget the last two and lets start a new streak.

ChiSox7
Our offense better pick it up and bigtime. The Detroit offense doesn't suck like Oakland's offense.

MRKARNO
04-27-2005, 06:28 PM
What is it with the White Sox and people named Hunter?

mweflen
i dont even want to show up to school tomorrow. those idiots are gunna badger me and i cant use the umpires as an excuse.

Tell those Cubs fans to go 'f themselves. Their season is in the toilet already.

SomebodyToldMe
Four syllables to describe this game:

Com-plete-Bull-****

anoone
04-27-2005, 06:29 PM
I sure hope Ozzie totally laces into these turds.

Be careful what you wish for. I think Ozzie will go off and earn himself a suspension, just like last year. Depending on what Crede says in the postgame, he too might earn a day off (he'll at least be fined). MLB might construe the thrown bat as showing up the umps.

I HOPE I'm wrong, but I don't think I will be. Expect the worse, hope for the best.

Meanwhile, nothing will happen to the umps. Sad, sad, sad.

NonetheLoaiza
Hunter Wendelstedt (as well as Bruce Froemming) should never umpire another baseball game as long as they live.

anewman35
A dropped fly ball last night (is Jermone Dye in the absence of any hitting going give us his daily 8th inning eroor) and a dropped fly ball today cost us the game. Hitting into four double plays (say hello again Jerome Dye) killed off a chance to get some runs on the board.

Yes, the White Sox clearly sucked today, and didn't deserve to win. Thing is, so did the A's. And it certianly didn't hurt them that we had fewer players (because THEY hit us yesterday) and that the umps were clearly on their side. Really, it reminds me of one of those wrestling matches where they get a bad guy as the ref and the good guy keeps getting screwed. At least by the end it was just so bad it was funny, otherwise I'd be smashing things.

faneidde
The ump made rowand drop a fly ball? The ump executed a sacrifice bunt? And the ump gave up the game winning hit to scutaro? You cannot solely blame the umps. They didnt help, but its not like the sox played two great games the last two nights. Blaming umps for losses is a cop-out. Despite the umps ****ty calls it was still a 1-1 game. The ball didnt get hit to dye so you cant blame it on him being out of position. Yes the umps were horrible, but if it had been a different crew who made different calls you still might have lost the last two games. Its still a 6-2 road trip and they are 10 games over .500. Forget the last two and lets start a new streak.
Look Mr. Wendelstedt, your opinion is noted. The umps screwed us over today, plain and simple. And today we were screwed over by an ump with a vendetta against the White Sox. It wasn't merely bad calls, it was a jag off umpire inserting himself into the game.

mcfish
04-27-2005, 06:30 PM
:anon: :corpseballWere you just sitting by the computer for the last 2 weeks waiting for a loss to post that? They scored 7 yesterday. 1 game is not corpseball. 1 week is corpseball.

anewman35
Be careful what you wish for. I think Ozzie will go off and earn himself a suspension, just like last year. Depending on what Crede says in the postgame, he too might earn a day off (he'll at least be fined). MLB might construe the thrown bat as showing up the umps.

I HOPE I'm wrong, but I don't think I will be. Expect the worse, hope for the best.

**** MLB.

Chisox003

Also, the White Sox were warned before the game about any retaliation and hitting A's batters...

Meanwhile, weve had 6 guys hit in 3 days and the A's get nada....

Get outta Oakland PLEASE!

South Sider
Apparently the 16 wins so far haven't been enough for South Sider. :rolleyes:

16 wins are great.....but I'm still very concerned about our offense and parts of our pitching.

We were lucky in many of those wins. Maybe time has running out

SOXit2EM
04-27-2005, 06:31 PM

Looked like the same old Sox the past two days. Can't win a division playing like this. Agreed!! Was that an umpire who hit into 4 DP's!!... NO!! Or was that an Ump who dropped an easy fly ball in center..NO!! Other than Freddy & Willie, this team stunk it up today!!! :angry:

mweflen

Where's Tony Phillips when you need him? A royal Wendlestedt ass-pounding in the parking lot would be SWEET.

MUsoxfan
The ump made rowand drop a fly ball? The ump executed a sacrifice bunt? And the ump gave up the game winning hit to scutaro? You cannot solely blame the umps. They didnt help, but its not like the sox played two great games the last two nights. Blaming umps for losses is a cop-out. Despite the umps ****ty calls it was still a 1-1 game.

Regardless of what happened in the bottom of the 9th, the call at the top of the 9th was awful and game-changing. There's no reason this guy should have a job anymore. It's hard to win games when the umps don't want you to. I KNEW there were going to be problems the second I saw that degenerate was the HP ump

faneidde
04-27-2005, 06:32 PM
16 wins are great.....but I'm still very concerned about our offense and parts of our pitching.

We were lucky in many of those wins. Maybe time has running out
Stop :dtroll:ing the post game thread where a bunch of people are pissed off. Should your screen name by South Sider Who Loves the Cubs?

batmanZoSo
:anon: :corpseball

You gone! :dtroll:

mcfish

We were lucky in many of those wins. Maybe time has running outtalking to Chicken Little?

MRKARNO
Agreed!! Was that an umpire who hot into 4 DP's!!... NO!! Or was that an Ump who dropped an easy fly ball in center..NO!! Other than Freddy & Willie, this team stunk it up today!!! :angry:

It is the umpiring crew who in fact allowed the Oakland pitchers to hit 6 of our batters, thus creating a major injury problem for us. They were pathetic.

gobears1987
I want to watch Ozzie say it like it is during the press conference.

South Sider
Were you just sitting by the computer for the last 2 weeks waiting for a loss to post that? They scored 7 yesterday. 1 game is not corpseball. 1 week is corpseball.

So you mean that yesterdays game actually was a good game from the Sox ???

Well....maybe I'll watched a different version of this game on MLB.TV

MUsoxfan
Look Mr. Wendelstedt, your opinion is noted.

I thought the same thing

Papas
Total BS, Joe was in the same position as he was when the pitch was thrown. I wish baseball would step in and discipline the umps for this grudge against the Sox (though we all know that wont happenn). They hit 6 White Sox in the series then toss OUR guys?

popilius
04-27-2005, 06:33 PM
I don't know what happened in Oakland, but the name of this thread is a little extreme.

Actually, the name of this thread is an understatement.

:angry: :o: :angry:

SOXit2EM
04-27-2005, 06:34 PM
i dont even want to show up to school tomorrow. those idiots are gunna badger me and i cant use the umpires as an excuse. Last time I checked the Sox are still in 1st place, and the Cruds are not!!

BarbG
P*ss-poor umpiring is driving long-time fans away in droves.

We are cheated, we are ripped OFF, plain and simple.

I can't even remember the last time a game left me in tears.

CubsfansareDRUNK
could someone tell me what happened with the umps? i didnt see any of the game..how many calls did they blow?

Baby Fisk

gobears1987

The original title he referred to was the one I had before it was changed to the post game thread "Wendlestedt needs to die" was the name.

Jerko
What is it with the White Sox and people named Hunter?

THIS Hunter could have umped a better game :angry: :angry: :angry:

http://www.ezthemes.com/previews/h/hhh-the-game_upd.jpg

mweflen
04-27-2005, 06:35 PM

The name of the thread used to be "Wendlestedt Needs To Die."

Pretty hard to disagree. I don't care if he has 3 orphan babies and nurses sick puppies back to health. I hope he wraps his rental car around a streetlight tonight.

anewman35

"a bad game" doesn't equal "corpseball".

seanpmurphy

I'm not blaming the umps solely, yeah the Sox had some problems today, and didn't have everyone in their usual positions, but it's impossible to say that calls like that don't get inside a player's head and take any momentum out of the game. Plus, that was not an easy play for Rowand to make anyway, and maybe he did lose it in the sun. When you take Rowand's starting job in Center, maybe you can start making comments about it. I hate when fans make comments about what should have happened during a play. It's different when you're down there.

The Sox were robbed basically, but this is a team that doesn't tolerate crap like this and I would love to see them go on another tear. We're still 16-6, hopefully our guys aren't too dinged up, and we can come out of this knowing we got bamboozled by the worst umping ever seen.

I don't know what's left to say on the matter.

cubhater77
the umps atre a joke. fat swines that quit, go to court, get their jobs back. they only work 6 months a year, more than most flub fans. still, they get vacation time during the season. this crew blows and should be fired! only northsiders who wear pink hats should be named hunter!

Dibbs
04-27-2005, 06:36 PM
We didn't even get to beam anybody!! ugh!!!!!!

ChiSoxRowand
I don't usually blame the umps, but they f****d us today. I was listening to the game on the way home from school and Rooney and Farmer were talking about a horrible call with podsednik at first. I really hope this crew isn't with us for a Twins series. What exactly happened with the umps last night? I didn't see the game.

MUsoxfan
The original title he referred to was the one I had before it was changed to the post game thread "Wendlestedt needs to die" was the name.

I happen to like the original name of the thread:cool:

mweflen
Fastest to :tomatoawardever? You be the judge...

Chisox003
The name of the thread used to be "Wendlestedt Needs To Die."

Pretty hard to disagree. I don't care if he has 3 orphan babies and nurses sick puppies back to health. I hope he wraps his rental car around a streetlight tonight.

In a very very sick way, I found that quite funny....

People, we need to step back from the ledge and calm down....Its 1 game...
Oh, the cubs won too today? **** it, jump

ma_deuce
04-27-2005, 06:37 PM
We didn't even get to beam anybody!! ugh!!!!!!

That was our biggest mistake today... should have let them know from the start that we repay kindness with kindness, and treachery with treachery.

Unregistered
Agreed!! Was that an umpire who hit into 4 DP's!!... NO!! Or was that an Ump who dropped an easy fly ball in center..NO!! Other than Freddy & Willie, this team stunk it up today!!! :angry:Smart guy, the umps raped us for 2 CONSECUTIVE DAYS.

If you think that doesnt get into players heads, you're nuts. I mean, if WE get pissed off about it, imagine the guys who PLAY the game.

CubsfansareDRUNK
come on guys, we must forgive him.

actually screw that YOU SUCK WENDLESTEDT!

MRKARNO
04-27-2005, 06:38 PM
Isnt Froemming the guy that called two home run balls foul balls about a year or two ago? I know Crede hit one of them.

ma_deuce
04-27-2005, 06:38 PM
:tomatoaward

ug...

ChiSoxRowand
04-27-2005, 06:39 PM
Is there any way to find out when that crew is gonna be at the cell, I really want to be there that series.

SOXSINCE'70
Oh, I WILL remember this...

Let's hope the Sox do,too.6 games with these crybabies
in July.3 in Jokeland,3 in Chicago.I may as well put "L's" by all 3
games in Jokeland.Everyone has an off day,but Froemming and
Wendelstadt..........their blindness could turn a tee totaller
into an alcoholic.:angry: :angry:

I never thought i'd see an umpiring crew decide the outcome of
a Sox game.Well,as they say, in baseball,you see something
you've never seen before every day.:angry: :angry:

shoota
Ed Farmer said before the winning hit down the third base line, that he'd like to see Widger take a step closer to the line. Farmer called it before it happened, and sure enough that batter hit a bullet between Widger and the line.

Let's tally the umpiring errors in this series. Yesterday's play at the plate where Widger blocked the plate but the A's runner was called safe; today's first base ump calling Podsednik out on a double play when he was safe; today's home plate ump calling Joe Crede back after Joe intentially leaned in to a pitch. WSI, remember this crew.

Before the game, Farmer and Rooney were upset that the Sox and Ozzie were warned by MLB not to hit any A's batters. Rooney said something like, "Why are we being warned when it was our batters who were hit? We didn't hit any of the A's players."

Coming into this game, 4 Sox hitters were hit by A's pitchers. Today Rowand was hit with a curve ball to the butt, and Crede leaned in to a pitch. That's 6-0 in hit batsmen. :angry:

I did like seeing Everett's own retaliation by sliding hard into second base while breaking up a double play. He succeeded in standing up for himself AND in breaking up the double play.

Jermaine Dye has got to sit. He had a chance to give the Sox the lead and allow Garcia a chance for the W when he stepped to the plate with runners at first and third. He grounded into a weak double play up the middle which he didn't even run out. No hit, no sac fly, not even a simple out. He had to end the inning with a GIDP.

I've criticized Crede in the past, but I loved his play today. Props to him for playing out of position at SS and for trying to load the bases by leaning in to a pitch when he was behind in the count (1-2). And I didn't like his fake intensity bat throws before, but today he meant it after the ump wouldn't grant him first and he popped out to end the half inning.

VivaOzzie
First of all, the only reason Crede's elbow moved was to absorb the impact of the pitch. The guy wanted to hit Crede, hes our best clutch hitter right now, and I'm sure he would much rather face Pods.

Secondly, Crede better not get fined or anything for throwing his bat. He gets pissed off and throws his bat after EVERY popup he hits!!! Now he gets tossed for it?

No, the umps didnt cost us the game, but they turned the entire tide of the game. I knew we were going to lose going into the bottom of the ninth. You could just feel it. The umps made the game angering to watch. If they do their job the right way, you shouldn't even notice they're there. However, these guys sure made themselves noticed.

gobears1987
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=mlb&id=1861633

This is why I blame the ump. He has a history against Ozzie and took a feud too far. Ozzie should arrange for him to be shot.

kittle42
My friend just sent me an e-mail which sums up how I feel about this game (without all the well-directed umpire venom):

On the one hand, you don't deserve to win a game where your shortstops are Joe Crede and Jermaine Dye.
On the other hand, you absolutely deserve to win a game where you hold your opponents to one run over 9 innings when your shortstops are Joe Crede and Jermaine Dye.

With or without horrible umps, the Sox win if they hit with RISP even one of the times they had chances after the first.

Well, we lose two with Buehrle and Freddy out there. Let's hope the Cuban Connection and Cy Garland (and, more importantly, our sometimes god-awful hitting) bring us at least 2 against the Kittens.

16-6 is pretty damn good. 18-7 would be nice to wake up to Monday morning.

Ol' No. 2
Seriously, when is MLB going to do something about some of these umpiring crews? This is not the first time for these guys. Froemming had the run-in with Baker last year, and I'm sure there have been problems with other teams. Why don't they just can their asses? It's not as if replacements are in short supply.

mweflen
04-27-2005, 06:40 PM
So what should our Wendlestedt heckles be when he makes his triumphant return to the cell?

I'm thinking something like "You're not even a pimple on your daddy's backside." But maybe more obscene. And involving his mother in some fashion. And some form of homosexual rape.

mikef1331
These last 2 games were absolutely disgusting! Some of THE worst umpiring I've seen. The Sox should protest this game and Wendelstedt needs to either be fined, suspended or both. When you watch a game like this it really makes you wonder if some of these Umps are "On The Take".

Wendelstedt = :dtroll:

mcfish

Well....maybe I'll watched a different version of this game on MLB.TVI certainly don't think it was corpseball. Do you remember the days of Corpseball? 7 runs would come every 2 weeks, not in 1 night. I don't care how they crossed the plate, 7 runs is not corpseball. We have not been shut out once this season. We have had the lead in every game. How you could bring out the corpseball tag is beyond me.

Yes these were two bad games. Especially defensively. There will be more. That doesn't mean that the team is going to start into a free fall. Maybe let them lose more than twice before you decide they are falling back to earth where they belong.

Soxaholic
Aren't the best games when you don't even notice the umpires were there? I'm remembering the umpires names more than the Sox middle infielders this series!

gobears1987
04-27-2005, 06:42 PM
I want to see the post game press conference

Banix12
04-27-2005, 06:43 PM
I'm gonna be Mr. Positive I guess here. The sox went into Oakland where they never win. They win game one behind an amazing pitching performance. They then lose the next two but in both games they put themselves in a position to win the game. Last year if we had played Oakland this close in Oakland we would all be jumping up and down for joy. The Umps were horrible but that happens.

Another bright side Crede played a pretty fair SS. I also think Crede should have been more aware of the bench situation and swallowed his damn anger and not gotten himself tossed. He got screwed twice today though, the HBP and that situation where the Ump let the groundscrew on the field with a 3-2 count. The ump should have just said "after this batter".

Ol' No. 2
So what should our Wendlestedt heckles be when he makes his triumphant return to the cell?

I'm thinking something like "You're not even a pimple on your daddy's backside." But maybe more obscene. And involving his mother in some fashion. And some form of homosexual rape.I think a large sign with a picture of a big ass with a pimple protruding from it would do nicely.

skobabe8

Who is arguing the Sox played anything close to a great game?? No one! That doesnt mean we still didnt get screwed out of a chance to win. We couldnt hit. Sometimes that happens. Doesnt mean that you still cant squeak out a win. The umpiring never gave us a fair chance to win the game. That is that, :dtroll: .

nasox
In the damn game updates from the tribune's chicagosports.com, the writer says Crede stuck his hand out. What a bunch of horse****. I'm pissed out of my mind. Screw the Twins, they should have contracted the As.http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-050427soxcubicle,1,5431785.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

Here's our guy, Dye. Byrnes, by the way, stays in to play left. Not that anyone cares. Dye flies out to Kotsay in center. Duchscherer plunks Rowand. After what seemed like an eternity Pierzynski walks. First and second with one out for Widger. Widger flies out to left. OK, Crede basically struck out. The ump missed the call. Next pitch was inside and Crede stuck his arm in the way. The ump wants no part of that. Now Guillen is out arguing with tub of goo Froemming. Ozzie gets tossed by the home plate ump. Please that was so obvious and now Hawk and DJ are all homered up, saying that's never called. Please. He stuck his arm in the way. That goes down as a ball. Crede is back up and then pops out. Crede is admonished by the ump for throwing his bat. Craziness has broken out. Correct call by the ump on the interference. Horrible blind announcing by Hawk and DJ. Crede was tossed also.

Hawk and DJ will not let it go. OK, now we've seen it all, people. Now playing shortstop, Jermaine Dye. I have seen that call at least three times in the last few years. Last night was one thing. This call was correct. I may have to turn the volume off. Durazo sends one to center and Rowand loses it in the sun that just came out. Whatever you want to say on the message board, but Crede stuck his arm in the way of that pitch to get hit. It was beyond obvious. Tough break. Dustin Hermanson will come on to pitch. Ellis bunts Durazo to second. They'll walk Swisher to face Scutaro. Scutaro rips one by Widger at third, scoring Durazo. Tough break and tough loss for the Sox.

I hate the tribune. I hate that guy. And I hate that F-Ing UMP

:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Fake Chet Lemon
The umps didn't make Jermaine "Rally Killa" Dye SUCK. Ozzie, you are allowed to move him down in the order. Keeping him in the 5-hole is a joke.

Frater Perdurabo
Seriously, when is MLB going to do something about some of these umpiring crews? This is not the first time for these guys. Froemming had the run-in with Baker last year, and I'm sure there have been problems with other teams. Why don't they just can their asses? It's not as if replacements are in short supply.

If the only qualifications to be an ump are to be:

1. blind
2. arrogant

then it should not be a problem to fill vacancies.

mweflen
04-27-2005, 06:44 PM
I'm gonna be Mr. Positive I guess here. The sox went into Oakland where they never win. They win game one behind an amazing pitching performance. They then lose the next two but in both games they put themselves in a position to win the game. Last year if we had played Oakland this close in Oakland we would all be jumping up and down for joy. The Umps were horrible but that happens.

Ahh, the voice of reason. :peace:

:angry::angry::angry:SCREW THAT!!! KILL WENDLESTEDT!!!:angry::angry::angry:

Chisox003

Another bright side Crede played a pretty fair SS. I also think Crede should have been more aware of the bench situation and swallowed his damn anger and not gotten himself tossed. He got screwed twice today though, the HBP and that situation where the Ump let the groundscrew on the field with a 3-2 count. The ump should have just said "after this batter".

Get out of here with that positive B.S.! Cant you see we're venting!

batmanZoSo
Aren't the best games when you don't even notice the umpires were there? I'm remembering the umpires names more than the Sox middle infielders this series!

The question is how do we boo these guys when they come to Chicago?

mealfred13
04-27-2005, 06:45 PM
That was our biggest mistake today... should have let them know from the start that we repay kindness with kindness, and treachery with treachery.

Except Ozzie and the team WERE WARNED BEFORE THE GAME not to retaliate after last night's game.

We had players thrown at both intentionally and unintentionally yesterday, and WE WERE WARNED not to retaliate???? Then when we get thrown at AGAIN, in the form of Crede today, they TAKE BACK THE WALK!?!?!? Give me a f'in break! These umpires absolutely suck!

How can they warn our team not to retaliate BEFORE the game, and then sit there while we get thrown at, and instead of ejecting the Pitcher on that HBP to Crede, they take the HBP away from us.

Last time I checked, an ball thrown in the batter's box that hits him, is an HBP, regardless of what the batter does. Crede Could have turned his boddy and did a little jig while the ball hit him in the chest, and he still gets the walk. Wendelstedt needs to **** and re-read the rulebooks, and Froemming has no business interfering with that call from third base.

Finally, before I end my rant, I'd really appreciate it if all the damn :dtroll:s that are popping out of the woodwork and blaming this loss on "bad play" would just keep their opinions to themselves, because anyone who WATCHED this game would know who lost the game for us. The f'in umpires.

batmanZoSo
04-27-2005, 06:45 PM
If the only qualifications to be an ump are to be:

1. blind
2. arrogant

then it should not be a problem to fill vacancies.

3. corpulent

seanpmurphy
04-27-2005, 06:46 PM

I'm thinking something like "You're not even a pimple on your daddy's backside." But maybe more obscene. And involving his mother in some fashion. And some form of homosexual rape.

US Cellular should have "Dozen Egg Night" :smile:

shoota
It was the umps fault last night. How is it the umps fault tonight? Joe had another swing. He popped it up. Who is to say that Scott would have had a better chance than him. I'd actually rather have Joe hitting again in that case.

Because Scott would have stepped to the plate with a new count, while Crede had a 1-2 count at the time he was hit.

owensmouth
Considering the infield we started with, with a catcher who can barely jog down to first due to an injury to his foot, another catcher at third base and a third baseman at shortstop, I gotta say this: Our pitchers today hung in there and did a damn good job.

After watching Crede getting hit by that pitch, I think that the ump felt that had Crede not moved, he wouldn't have been hit. It is normal for a batter to attempt to get out of the way of a pitch. Generally a right handed batter would pull back, away from the pitch (right shoulder away from the plate). Crede went the other way (down and in). I think the ump was wrong.

And Oakland is still a back breaker.

Frater Perdurabo
04-27-2005, 06:47 PM
The question is how do we boo these guys when they come to Chicago?

Just yell "DADDY'S GIRL, DADDY'S GIRL" in a mocking, condescending tone.

Viva Medias B's
04-27-2005, 06:49 PM
The umpiring was brutal. Froemming and Wendelstedt are steaming plies of crap. That crew should be fired. However, we lost those games primarily because our offense and defense let us down. I just hope we rebound from this and not let Detroit come in and have their way with us this weekend.

Ol' No. 2
Except Ozzie and the team WERE WARNED BEFORE THE GAME not to retaliate after last night's game.

We had players thrown at both intentionally and unintentionally yesterday, and WE WERE WARNED not to retaliate???? Then when we get thrown at AGAIN, in the form of Crede today, they TAKE BACK THE WALK!?!?!? Give me a f'in break! These umpires absolutely suck!

How can they warn our team not to retaliate BEFORE the game, and then sit there while we get thrown at, and instead of ejecting the Pitcher on that HBP to Crede, they take the HBP away from us.

Last time I checked, an ball thrown in the batter's box that hits him, is an HBP, regardless of what the batter does. Crede Could have turned his boddy and did a little jig while the ball hit him in the chest, and he still gets the walk. Wendelstedt needs to **** and re-read the rulebooks, and Froemming has no business interfering with that call from third base.

Finally, before I end my rant, I'd really appreciate it if all the damn :dtroll:s that are popping out of the woodwork and blaming this loss on "bad play" would just keep their opinions to themselves, because anyone who WATCHED this game would know who lost the game for us. The f'in umpires.The rulebook does say that the batter must make an attempt to avoid the pitch. But I don't think I have EVER seen that called. Guys come to the plate with body armor and stick their elbow into the ball all the time. How many times has Wendelstadt made that call in the past? I'd be willing to bet NEVER.

gobears1987
How about disco demolition II? Let them keep the vinyl records and chuck them like frisbees at the *******. I'd love to see him decapitated.

Chisox003
04-27-2005, 06:50 PM

Finally, before I end my rant, I'd really appreciate it if all the damn :dtroll:s that are popping out of the woodwork and blaming this loss on "bad play" would just keep their opinions to themselves, because anyone who WATCHED this game would know who lost the game for us. The f'in umpires.

Everybody read this post, and call it a day...

ondafarm
04-27-2005, 06:50 PM

No, its not. This crew is the worst in baseball and they should be terminated en masse. They decided this series, not the players. That should never happen.

shoota
04-27-2005, 06:51 PM

You're missing the point. We fans can accept losing because of bad performance from our team. We cannot accept losing a game where the outcome is influenced by the umpires.

Tragg
04-27-2005, 06:51 PM

I believe yall did a nice job with Samme: "Sam Me Cheats" as I reacall. Say the same thing to Wendestadt.

Paulwny
04-27-2005, 06:52 PM
The rulebook does say that the batter must make an attempt to avoid the pitch. But I don't think I have EVER seen that called. Guys come to the plate with body armor and stick their elbow into the ball all the time. How many times has Wendelstadt made that call in the past? I'd be willing to bet NEVER.

Fisk was notorious for turning his left shoulder into a pitch and was always awarded 1st base. This umpire crew absolutely stunk up the jooint.

TaylorStSox
04-27-2005, 06:52 PM
There's always gotta be somebody to blame around here.

ma_deuce
04-27-2005, 06:53 PM

I agree, but who cares at that point. Marte should have drilled Durazo right in the thigh. We were never going to win that game, not with those umps. Damaso should have shown everyone what the Sox are made of.

elrod
The ump made the correct call on Crede. He made NO attempt to get out of the way of the very slow curve ball that hit him. And it does not matter if the ball went into the batter's box or not. Rule 6.08b (2) says, the runner is awarded first base on a hit-by-pitch unless: "(2) The batter makes no attempt to avoid being touched by the ball; If the ball is in the strike zone when it touches the batter, it shall be called a strike, whether or not the batter tries to avoid the ball. If the ball is outside the strike zone when it touches the batter, it shall be called a ball if he makes no attempt to avoid being touched." The rules say nothing about "where" the ball is outside the strike zone.

That said, this call is NEVER made, and there was no reason to invoke it now if they're not going to invoke it on a regular basis. And there was absolutely no reason to kick Crede out for throwing his bat.

batmanZoSo
The rulebook does say that the batter must make an attempt to avoid the pitch. But I don't think I have EVER seen that called. Guys come to the plate with body armor and stick their elbow into the ball all the time. How many times has Wendelstadt made that call in the past? I'd be willing to bet NEVER.

DJ said if the ball is in the batter's box, you're not required to get out of the way. Now Crede did not do that and he clearly "took one for the team," but to call that crap after 6 hit batsmen is simply a travesty, if not completely wrong as DJ said.

Fernando Vina made a career out of doing just that, only he did it practically on top of the plate. This is the worst umpiring job I've ever seen.

Tragg
04-27-2005, 06:54 PM
I just saw the replay - that was a ridiculous call. He curled in to protect his arm.
And with the info that hte As have been headhunting all series, it makes sense.

The sad thing is, Crede would have made that play on that winning hit past 3rd with his eyes closed.

I see it's Hunter W - is that Harry's son or something?

mikef1331
04-27-2005, 06:54 PM
I think the title of this thread should be changed to: Umpires 2, Sox 1

batmanZoSo
04-27-2005, 06:56 PM
I agree, but who cares at that point. Marte should have drilled Durazo right in the thigh. We were never going to win that game, not with those umps. Damaso should have shown everyone what the Sox are made of.

It may not happen, but look for a possible bean-fest the next time these clubs meet. And a brawl to follow. Hopefully the suspensions won't hurt us in that case.

Maybe Ozzie should call up Diaz, Munoz and Borchard to bean and throw all the punches. :cool:

TaylorStSox
Let's be honest here. I thought the call on Crede was BS. HOWEVER, it was obvious that he dropped his arm into the pitch.

mweflen
Peace out folks, I'm going home and pulling out my markers to make a Wendlesdedt Butt-pimple sign.

Just kidding. But Peace Out, seriously.

ma_deuce
04-27-2005, 06:57 PM
I just saw the replay - that was a ridiculous call. He curled in to protect his arm.

I guess Hunter thinks Crede should have stopped the balls with his hands, taken the out and broken his wrist to boot. What a tool that guy is!!! :angry:

faneidde
04-27-2005, 06:58 PM
That's not a bad idea. If we didn't want that, we could go with baseball night, blow-gun night, or, my personal favorite, water balloon night.

On a side note, you guys should stop with the ump needs to die nonsense. A soccer ref from Sweeden, widely considered one of the best in the world, retired after some fans of Chelsea called him and his family with death threats. Yes, Wendelstedt sucks and just might be corrupt, but he doesn't deserve death threats. Prison, on the other hand....

ma_deuce
04-27-2005, 06:58 PM
Maybe Ozzie should call up Diaz, Munoz and Borchard to bean and throw all the punches. :cool:

Forget Borchard... he can't hit for ****! :redneck

shoota
04-27-2005, 06:59 PM

McFish said corpseball is a week of bad baseball, and you reply that the Sox have played poorly two straight games. :kukoo:

I guess there are two-day weeks in trollville. Learn how to read troll.

:dtroll:
YOU GONE!

batmanZoSo
04-27-2005, 07:00 PM
Let's be honest here. I thought the call on Crede was BS. HOWEVER, it was obvious that he dropped his arm into the pitch.

I don't care. Get the damn ball over the plate and quit throwin at our guys. That pitch was a foot inside. Players have always done what Crede did and they don't get that call. :rolleyes:

Jurr
04-27-2005, 07:00 PM
I think this proves how much this team kicks ass...

1.) Both losses found us in the game late (again) and with leads at some point (again.) We were as short handed today as I've ever recollected the Sox being, yet we lost on a weird pop fly mishap and a bum call by an ump.

2.) We lost 9-7 and 2-1 against a team that is totally healthy. Sox teams in the past would not have been able to be marginally competitive in the game today, and probably not competitive with the pitching matchup last night. The way Harden is pitching right now, he would have eaten our hitters alive last year. We persevered and lost due to some bad defense. It happens.

Bottom line: We get away from the house of horrors with a win and two close losses. The close losses should not have been close due to the way our team played and the way the lineup had to be constructed. Yet, the team had enough competitive spirit to keep both games close and to have a chance at winning. Bravo, White Sox!! Get healthy the next couple of days and come back ready to start a new streak Friday!

TaylorStSox
04-27-2005, 07:01 PM
I don't care. Get the damn ball over the plate and quit throwin at our guys. That pitch was a foot inside. Players have always done what Crede did and they don't get that call. :rolleyes:

It's against the rules. There's no doubt that the call was made by a biased ump. Regardless it was the the legal call.

my5thbench
04-27-2005, 07:02 PM
I am so arghed off...........H Wendelstat & his crew.....

an umpiring crew should never decide a game, but they

made sure that they did, Ozzie tossed, Crede tossed,

inexscusable, that's not your job fat guys in the blue

suits....get the calls right....this crew needs to get

fined & suspended, that was obvious, a theft

SI bosses how do I get this message to Selig & his

crew?

grrrrrrrrrr

skobabe8
04-27-2005, 07:03 PM
I was fired up before, but I CANNOT WAIT until fridays game now. I Have alot of yelling to do.

skobabe8
04-27-2005, 07:05 PM
It's against the rules. There's no doubt that the call was made by a biased ump. Regardless it was the the legal call.

Do you live in a cave? Did you even watch the game?

mikef1331
04-27-2005, 07:06 PM

That was not a good "legal" call. Crede was clearly inside the batters box. It would have been different if Crede was leaning over outside of the batters box into the pitch, but he was clearly in the batters box.

kobo
[QUOTE=VivaOzzie]First of all, the only reason Crede's elbow moved was to absorb the impact of the pitch. The guy wanted to hit Crede, hes our best clutch hitter right now, and I'm sure he would much rather face Pods.

QUOTE]
He wanted to bean Crede when he had a 1-2 count on him? Yeah, that makes sense.

Let's face it, the Sox played horribly again today. They had chances to win and could not take advantage of them. Stop blaming the umps.

oeo

He never said it wasn't the correct call...actually he said it wasn't as he said "Players have always done what Crede did and they don't get that call." And like batman said...that was the sixth guy that was hit in this series...that's ridiculuous. And Harden's yesterday when he hit Everett definately looked intentional, but did they get any warnings whatsoever?

TaylorStSox
04-27-2005, 07:08 PM
Do you live in a cave? Did you even watch the game?

I watched the game. Look it up. That's the right call. It's not enforced often, and that's the part I don't agree with. It's still the legal call though. Joe moved his arm down to catch the ball. In fact, I laughed and clapped when it happened because I thought he got away with one. Then, they called him out and I was a bit pissed.

The reason I'm not really mad is because I'm not a blowhard. I'm not going to jump down anybody's throat for one game. I'm not going to blame anybody for one game. Since I started coming to this site, the culture has changed 180 degrees. Blame blame blame. It's ridiculous.

mealfred13
04-27-2005, 07:08 PM
I've never been more pissed off after a game than this one, and I just heard some news that REALLLY pisses me off....

I'm watching CSN right now, and on Tribune Live or whatever it's called, Jiggets just mentioned that Wendelstedt swore at Ozzie before Ozzie said anything to him. That's ridiculous!!!! If he doesn't get fined for being the instigator in this game, I want to start a petition to MLB regarding this umpiring crew. A blind man could tell that these last two games were horribly umpired.

In fact, I want to contact MLB about this, and I think it would be nice if they received a flood of mail (email?) regarding this horrendous crew. Anyone know where to do this?

daveeym
04-27-2005, 07:09 PM
Just saw the replay, oh man crede so leaned into that, that was a frickin hook...that he did a double take at...backed up and out of the way...and then stuck his elbow back into it... a lot of blown calls on the series but that was a correct call, weather or not it's "ever called." Might be just the pitcher in me.
And I have no idea how anyone can think that crede was being thrown at there. Watch out guys he's throwing at us with 68 mph curve balls.

I know it was icing on the cake for the horse**** calls made throughout but we're better and smarter than that as fans.

mikef1331
04-27-2005, 07:10 PM
[QUOTE=VivaOzzie]First of all, the only reason Crede's elbow moved was to absorb the impact of the pitch. The guy wanted to hit Crede, hes our best clutch hitter right now, and I'm sure he would much rather face Pods.

QUOTE]

Let's face it, the Sox played horribly again today. They had chances to win and could not take advantage of them. Stop blaming the umps.

None of us here are saying the Sox didn't play poorly today or yesterday, they are pretty beat up right now (Crede was at SS!) and less than perfect play can be expected when the team is shorthanded. But the Umps SHOULD NEVER take a game out of a teams hands like that.

Bad first post :dtroll: !

mealfred13
04-27-2005, 07:12 PM
Just saw the replay, oh man crede so leaned into that, that was a frickin hook...that he did a double take at...backed up and out of the way...and then stuck his elbow back into it... a lot of blown calls on the series but that was a correct call, weather or not it's "ever called." Might be just the pitcher in me.
And I have no idea how anyone can think that crede was being thrown at there. Watch out guys he's throwing at us with 68 mph curve balls.

I know it was icing on the cake for the horse**** calls made throughout but we're better and smarter than that as fans.

Maybe he did lean into it, but that doesn't excuse the call in this case. We had 6 players hit by pitches, OUR team was warned before the game about it and NOT theirs, and their pitchers continued to throw RIGHT AT US. Half our players were out because of various injuries, 2 or 3 of which were caused by the HBPs from yesterday, and he has the balls to decide to make that call, WHICH 99% of umpires including Wendelstedt never make, especially when a team has been thrown at for 2 games.

Gimme a break. Not only did the umpires take this game out of our hands, the MLB did by warning our team before the game and doing nothing about more HBPs today.

ondafarm
04-27-2005, 07:13 PM
On a side note, you guys should stop with the ump needs to die nonsense. A soccer ref from Sweeden, widely considered one of the best in the world, retired after some fans of Chelsea called him and his family with death threats. Yes, Wendelstedt sucks and just might be corrupt, but he doesn't deserve death threats. Prison, on the other hand....

When I played (and I played minor league in Japan as the only white guy in the league, see Mr Baseball) as a catcher I always had a way to even up with bad umpires. I'd call a high fastball and bail out, as if a pitch-out. Did it two pitches in a row to one guy who called me out on three pitches which beaned me. Once, I had to extricate the ball from one guy's mask. I also managed to catch more than one lousy umpire with a backswing.

Does such stuff work?

My first year, I was plunked (and got the call) more than 40 times in 118 games. A league record which hasn't come even close to be challenged. I was hit at least 60 more times, twice by Shingo Takatsu, when I didn't get the call. In my final year, I was hit 12 times and didn't get the call only twice (both legit.)

kobo
04-27-2005, 07:14 PM
[QUOTE=kobo]

None of us here are saying the Sox didn't play poorly today or yesterday, they are pretty beat up right now (Crede was at SS!) and less than perfect play can be expected when the team is shorthanded. But the Umps SHOULD NEVER take a game out of a teams hands like that.

Bad first post :dtroll: !
We had chances today to take the lead and did not come through. We get to the 9th and then the umps took us out of the game? Come on, we could have been up 3-1 or more by that point. The offense did not come through when we needed it. What the heck, every time we lose are we going to try to find someone to blame? Leave that to Cubs fans.

VivaOzzie
04-27-2005, 07:14 PM

QUOTE]

true true, didnt realize the count was 1-2, but a 6th HBP in a series is ridiculous, cant let tem get away with that. oh and by the way, i did not blame the umps for the loss, in fact i explicitly said "No, the umps didnt cost us the game." i also said that if they did their job correctly, they wouldnt be noticed. read what youre quoting before you post. hopefully you can competently post in the future. thank you

peeonwrigley
04-27-2005, 07:16 PM
When I played (and I played minor league in Japan as the only white guy in the league, see Mr Baseball) as a catcher I always had a way to even up with bad umpires. I'd call a high fastball and bail out, as if a pitch-out. Did it two pitches in a row to one guy who called me out on three pitches which beaned me. Once, I had to extricate the ball from one guy's mask. I also managed to catch more than one lousy umpire with a backswing.

Does such stuff work?

My first year, I was plunked (and got the call) more than 40 times in 118 games. A league record which hasn't come even close to be challenged. I was hit at least 60 more times, twice by Shingo Takatsu, when I didn't get the call. In my final year, I was hit 12 times and didn't get the call only twice (both legit.)

Serious? You got beaned once per game?

mikef1331
Maybe he did lean into it, but that doesn't excuse the call in this case. We had 6 players hit by pitches, OUR team was warned before the game about it and NOT theirs, and their pitchers continued to throw RIGHT AT US. Half our players were out because of various injuries, 2 or 3 of which were caused by the HBPs from yesterday, and he has the balls to decide to make that call, WHICH 99% of umpires including Wendelstedt never make, especially when a team has been thrown at for 2 games.

Gimme a break. Not only did the umpires take this game out of our hands, the MLB did by warning our team before the game and doing nothing about more HBPs today.

Great last 2 posts, exactly what I was thinking! Oh, and a lot of people seem to be forgetting that Aaron was HBP 2 AB's before Crede's AB, the pitcher should have been tossesd when he hit Crede. The A's were obviously thrwoing at guys this series.

MRKARNO
Well at least all those HBPs helped our OBP

TaylorStSox
04-27-2005, 07:19 PM
There was only 1 intentional HBP. You guys need to relax. We played like crap and weren't able to pull it out. Friday's a new series. Let's get Detroit.

elrod
04-27-2005, 07:21 PM
Great last 2 posts, exactly what I was thinking! Oh, and a lot of people seem to be forgetting that Aaron was HBP 2 AB's before Crede's AB, the pitcher should have been tossesd when he hit Crede. The A's were obviously thrwoing at guys this series.

The ball that hit Crede was a slow looping curve ball. It was obviously not an intimidation pitch. Not to mention hitting him would put the go ahead run on 3rd. The umps blew a lot of calls this series - Pods at the plate and at first, the balk - but this was the right call. Problem is, they never call it.

skobabe8
04-27-2005, 07:23 PM
I watched the game. Look it up. That's the right call. It's not enforced often, and that's the part I don't agree with. It's still the legal call though. Joe moved his arm down to catch the ball. In fact, I laughed and clapped when it happened because I thought he got away with one. Then, they called him out and I was a bit pissed.

The reason I'm not really mad is because I'm not a blowhard. I'm not going to jump down anybody's throat for one game. I'm not going to blame anybody for one game. Since I started coming to this site, the culture has changed 180 degrees. Blame blame blame. It's ridiculous.

I have more important things to do with my life than look up rules in a rulebook. Besides, its called a judgement call. Had the ball been center cut and Joe leaned out and took one, thats one thing. But like its been said 1000 times already, the pitch was in the batters box. One of the field level camera replays showed he turned away from the pitch to protect himself and the ball hit his forearm. Sox fans have every right to be upset about that call.

JB98
04-27-2005, 07:25 PM
There was only 1 intentional HBP. You guys need to relax. We played like crap and weren't able to pull it out. Friday's a new series. Let's get Detroit.

The umps sucked. We played like crap.

Why do we need to relax? It's OK to be angry and frustrated after back-to-back tough losses.

Wordwoman
First of all, it takes a real dunderhead to even utter the Cubs in reference to the fans who were aggravated by the umpiring in the last two games.

If you know baseball and have followed the White Sox, you know the history of this officiating team and Ozzie. If you have eyeballs and watched the games, you saw it for yourself.

No one is saying that the White Sox played flawless baseball in this series. The thing is------------both teams made errors. When the outcome of the game is affected by umpiring, it's like giving the opposition four outs each inning or an extra infielder. The games should have been decided without an umpiring advantage for the A's.

This series is over, so let's focus on getting back on our winning track. But I will be looking forward to the A's visit in July. Now we just have to decide which player gets pegged in the keyster while up at bat.

TaylorStSox
I have more important things to do with my life than look up rules in a rulebook. Besides, its called a judgement call. Had the ball been center cut and Joe leaned out and took one, thats one thing. But like its been said 1000 times already, the pitch was in the batters box. One of the field level camera replays showed he turned away from the pitch to protect himself and the ball hit his forearm. Sox fans have every right to be upset about that call.

Let's be rational here. It was the right call. Move on and worry about Friday. Hopefully we can keep the ball in the yard against a good hitting Detroit team.

mikef1331
04-27-2005, 07:26 PM
[QUOTE=mikef1331]
We had chances today to take the lead and did not come through. We get to the 9th and then the umps took us out of the game? Come on, we could have been up 3-1 or more by that point. The offense did not come through when we needed it. What the heck, every time we lose are we going to try to find someone to blame? Leave that to Cubs fans.

I just said the Sox played poorly the last 2 games of this series. I'm not entirely blaming the Umps for these last 2 losses, but making terrible calls and throwing out a player on a allready shorthanded team for no reason what so ever does not help your team win.

batmanZoSo
04-27-2005, 07:27 PM
The ball that hit Crede was a slow looping curve ball. It was obviously not an intimidation pitch. Not to mention hitting him would put the go ahead run on 3rd. The umps blew a lot of calls this series - Pods at the plate and at first, the balk - but this was the right call. Problem is, they never call it.

That's exactly our problem. They blew a bunch of other calls, arguably cost us a game already, then they pull this crap. Nobody cares if it's legal or not here. Nor should we.

And for what it's worth, DJ said Crede did nothing wrong because the pitch is in the batters box. That's the batter's territory. If one of the umpire apologists want to prove him wrong, please do so.

TaylorStSox
04-27-2005, 07:27 PM
The umps sucked. We played like crap.

Why do we need to relax? It's OK to be angry and frustrated after back-to-back tough losses.

I want to win as much as anybody else. I'm not going to get angry and play the "blame game" over a series in April though.

CubsfansareDRUNK
04-27-2005, 07:28 PM
Conclusion of Thread: Sox played like crap and didnt get any good calls

skobabe8
Let's be rational here. It was the right call. Move on and worry about Friday. Hopefully we can keep the ball in the yard against a good hitting Detroit team.

??? Whats not rational in my statement? Someone care to explain that to me? :?:
Plus, I have all day tomorrow to worry about friday.

TaylorStSox
That's exactly our problem. They blew a bunch of other calls, arguably cost us a game already, then they pull this crap. Nobody cares if it's legal or not here. Nor should we.

And for what it's worth, DJ said Crede did nothing wrong because the pitch is in the batters box. That's the batter's territory. If one of the umpire apologists want to prove him wrong, please do so.

LOL. Now we're quoting DJ as evidence. I've found, in the time since DJ's been here, that's a fallacy in it self.

TaylorStSox
04-27-2005, 07:29 PM
Conclusion of Thread: Sox played like crap and didnt get any good calls

:gulp:

PAPChiSox729
04-27-2005, 07:34 PM
Ok. We need to back away from the computer and take a deep breath. Sure the umps absolutely sucked and cost us at least one game in this series. And yes the White Sox had numerous chances to win these last two games. The White Sox performed under par. The umps, well, you know the story about that. But those are two games out of 162. Every game does count, but a good team isn't going to let two horrible gmes ruin their entire season. We are still 16-6 and in first. Now we are going to play Detriot and KC during the upcoming homestand. If the White Sox can't pull themselves out of this bump in the road, they don't deserve to make the playoffs. We will live to play another day.

kobo
04-27-2005, 07:34 PM
[QUOTE=kobo]

true true, didnt realize the count was 1-2, but a 6th HBP in a series is ridiculous, cant let tem get away with that. oh and by the way, i did not blame the umps for the loss, in fact i explicitly said "No, the umps didnt cost us the game." i also said that if they did their job correctly, they wouldnt be noticed. read what youre quoting before you post. hopefully you can competently post in the future. thank you
My quote about blaming the umps was not directed towards you, but to everyone in general. There are 140 games left, it's April, and this crying and whining that the umps cost us the game is ridiculous.

Is that competent enough for ya?

mealfred13
04-27-2005, 07:36 PM
Oh, and a lot of people seem to be forgetting that Aaron was HBP 2 AB's before Crede's AB, the pitcher should have been tossesd when he hit Crede. The A's were obviously thrwoing at guys this series.

I agree 100% with that too... TaylorStSox is starting to annoy me with these "it was the right call" posts. We had 6 guys hit! 6! WE were warned. Even if it was the right call, after 6 HBP, you'd think the A's would finally get in trouble. How is it that our team is handcuffed from retaliation, but the A's go on beaning our team after putting 3 of them on the bench today for the same reason and no one gets tossed? Crede should have been given the base, and the pitcher should have been tossed. Period.

CubsfansareDRUNK
04-27-2005, 07:36 PM
Guys dont worry about it. We all know its gunna be a White Sox/Dodgers world series

skobabe8
04-27-2005, 07:37 PM
I need a beer. Or 10.

Our bats better take out some frustration on Friday.

balke
04-27-2005, 07:38 PM
[QUOTE=VivaOzzie]
My quote about blaming the umps was not directed towards you, but to everyone in general. There are 140 games left, it's April, and this crying and whining that the umps cost us the game is ridiculous.

I can guarantee you didn't watch the game.

JB98
04-27-2005, 07:39 PM
[QUOTE=VivaOzzie]

I think we all know that there are 140 games left, and I think we all know we are 16-6 and still in first place. However, it's only natural to be totally pissed off after the last two losses. The whole point of this thread is let people vent.

peeonwrigley
04-27-2005, 07:39 PM
"The batter becomes a runner and is entitled to first base without liability to be put out (provided he advances to and touches first base) when_

He is touched by a pitched ball which he is not attempting to hit unless (1) The ball is in the strike zone when it touches the batter, or (2) The batter makes no attempt to avoid being touched by the ball; If the ball is in the strike zone when it touches the batter, it shall be called a strike, whether or not the batter tries to avoid the ball. If the ball is outside the strike zone when it touches the batter, it shall be called a ball if he makes no attempt to avoid being touched. APPROVED RULING: When the batter is touched by a pitched ball which does not entitle him to first base, the ball is dead and no runner may advance."

DJ needs to harken up on the rules.

Its BS that they never call it; but this was a pretty blatant case and obviously this guy was going to call anything he could against us.

3rdgensoxfan
04-27-2005, 07:40 PM
I hope the team shares the collective frustration and anger I've read in this thread and use it to motivate themselves.

TaylorStSox
04-27-2005, 07:41 PM
I agree 100% with that too... TaylorStSox is starting to annoy me with these "it was the right call" posts. We had 6 guys hit! 6! WE were warned. Even if it was the right call, after 6 HBP, you'd think the A's would finally get in trouble. How is it that our team is handcuffed from retaliation, but the A's go on beaning our team after putting 3 of them on the bench today for the same reason and no one gets tossed? Crede should have been given the base, and the pitcher should have been tossed. Period.

Of all those, only 1 appeared to be intentional. We didn't capitalize on them putting us on base. Alot of those HBP's should have helped us. They were in crucial points in the game. Their pitchers CLEARLY weren't throwing at us.

Get annoyed by me all you want. I'm telling it like it is.

batmanZoSo

Yeah how is it that Wendelstedt can recognize the unintentional hit batter, but doesn't have the sense to let Crede slide? Just typical in that ballpark. Just another episode of the Oakland Twilight Zone. I'd be very happy if we never had to play there again.

VivaOzzie
[QUOTE=VivaOzzie]

Yup, that'll do. I think we are all just pissed that the umps made this game not fun to watch (as did the Sox poor play). But at the end of the game I was pissed that the umps made such an influence on the game. I watch baseball for enjoyment. When the umps make it no fun to watch, there is something wrong.

Also, if our guys werent getting hit left and right, some of our guys wouldnt be injured, therefore Crede plays 3rd base in the 9th. I think Crede snags that grounder, and at least keeps it in the infield. Even if Crede hadnt been tossed, he wouldve been playing short, and wouldve helped Widger out with his positioning. Hes an outstanding defensive 3rd baseman and wouldve known to be playing towards the line.

Seeing 6 of our guys get hit, and having no action be taken (other than to warn us :?: ) is ridiculous.

peeonwrigley
04-27-2005, 07:44 PM
Yeah how is it that Wendelstedt can recognize the unintentional hit batter, but doesn't have the sense to let Crede slide? Just typical in that ballpark. Just another episode of the Oakland Twilight Zone. I'd be very happy if we never had to play there again.

Completely agreed. Hell, I'm all for mailing in any remaining games we have there, at least no one would get injured if we forfeit.

ondafarm
04-27-2005, 07:47 PM
Serious? You got beaned once per game?

My first year every team in the league (apart from my own) protested my playing. I had gotten in under a technicality. Several umpires were quite enthusiatic in hearing their protests but the league office was firm. Several teams were told to take it out on me. Normally, I'd get plunked by one or two guys repeatedly and then the rest of the series would be pretty calm. By my next year and then final one most of the fans, teams and coaches knew me and didn't bother.

CubsfansareDRUNK
04-27-2005, 07:48 PM
[QUOTE=kobo]

Yup, that'll do. I think we are all just pissed that the umps made this game not fun to watch (as did the Sox poor play). But at the end of the game I was pissed that the umps made such an influence on the game. I watch baseball for enjoyment. When the umps make it no fun to watch, there is something wrong.

*nods head in agreement*

mealfred13
04-27-2005, 07:48 PM
Of all those, only 1 appeared to be intentional. We didn't capitalize on them putting us on base. Alot of those HBP's should have helped us.

Simple response: Who cares if they were intentional!?

Better response: If there were enough HBPs to warrant OUR team being warned before the game even started, then why wasn't their team warned, if not before the game, but during the game after Rowand was hit? That's unacceptable.

Only 1 "appeared" to be intentional to you, but that's for the umpires to decide. And they proved their reliability so well these past 2 games, that it's no doubt they had trouble dressing themselves before the game.

And you really think that all those HBPs helped us? Yeah, they sure work wonders when they force you to start you 3B at SS, and your BACKUP CATCHER at 3rd. We had no business winning the game today with our position players set up the way they did, and the fact that we had a chance that was robbed by the Umpiring crew is enough reason to blame them.

AZChiSoxFan
04-27-2005, 07:51 PM
Come July 1, one of our pitchers needs to drill somebody. Ozzie needs to step up and take matters into his own hands (or more correctly, put matters into his pitcher's hands).

kobo
04-27-2005, 07:52 PM
[QUOTE=kobo]

Also, if our guys werent getting hit left and right, some of our guys wouldnt be injured, therefore Crede plays 3rd base in the 9th. I think Crede snags that grounder, and at least keeps it in the infield. Even if Crede hadnt been tossed, he wouldve been playing short, and wouldve helped Widger out with his positioning. Hes an outstanding defensive 3rd baseman and wouldve known to be playing towards the line.

Seeing 6 of our guys get hit, and having no action be taken (other than to warn us :?: ) is ridiculous.
I can agree with all that. But if the Sox are as good as we all seem to think they are, we should be able to win a game like this. I just don't want people to be making excuses for this team. We have played good baseball this year, except the last 2 games we've been shaky. We didn't take advantage of some opportunities today and I think that cost us more than anything. Hopefully on Friday they come out and play a solid game, and get back on the right track. I'll be there Saturday night, looking forward to it.

TaylorStSox
04-27-2005, 07:53 PM
Simple response: Who cares if they were intentional!?

Better response: If there were enough HBPs to warrant OUR team being warned before the game even started, then why wasn't their team warned, if not before the game, but during the game after Rowand was hit? That's unacceptable.

Only 1 "appeared" to be intentional to you, but that's for the umpires to decide. And they proved their reliability so well these past 2 games, that it's no doubt they had trouble dressing themselves before the game.

And you really think that all those HBPs helped us? Yeah, they sure work wonders when they force you to start you 3B at SS, and your BACKUP CATCHER at 3rd. We had no business winning the game today with our position players set up the way they did, and the fact that we had a chance that was robbed by the Umpiring crew is enough reason to blame them.

Ozuna hit himself. That was the only injury from the HBP right? He turned into it. The pitch Uribe turned away from was just a good pitch. Hell. Most of the pitches that hit us were breaking balls. :?:

They were probably warned too.

If anything, we got them back when Carl took out Ellis.

MRKARNO
04-27-2005, 07:54 PM
:tomatoaward:tomatoaward

Two rage-filled tomatos.

mealfred13
04-27-2005, 07:57 PM
Ozuna hit himself. That was the only injury from the HBP right? He turned into it. The pitch Uribe turned away from was just a good pitch. Hell. Most of the pitches that hit us were breaking balls. :?:

They were probably warned too.

If anything, we got them back when Carl took out Ellis.

They weren't warned, and again it's beside the point if they were intentional or not. If they were such cause for concern that our team was warned before the game, then someone obviously thought they were worthy of retaliation.

balke
04-27-2005, 08:02 PM
[QUOTE=VivaOzzie]
I can agree with all that. But if the Sox are as good as we all seem to think they are, we should be able to win a game like this. I just don't want people to be making excuses for this team. We have played good baseball this year, except the last 2 games we've been shaky. We didn't take advantage of some opportunities today and I think that cost us more than anything. Hopefully on Friday they come out and play a solid game, and get back on the right track. I'll be there Saturday night, looking forward to it.

Shaken by injuries last night, only shaken by Crede not being walked when he should've in a key turning point in the game. Crede goes to first, a single scores the go ahead run. That was a huge play in this game.

If you watched the series, you'd see a disturbing trend of blatant biased and vengeful officiating. The A's played like crap. We owned them through most of the game yesterday, and had injured batters from inside pitches. We were even the better looking team today, but were forced to play trailing in the bottom of the 9th with our RF at SS. That's a big deal.

Jjav829
04-27-2005, 08:04 PM
I haven't read all 14 pages worth of posts yet, but here's my opinion.

I thought the Crede HBP was the right call. Is it a call you see made often? No. Guys like Craig Biggio, Jason Kendall and Fernando Vina did/do this all the time. Just because the call isn't made often, that doesn't mean it isn't the right call. Crede did lean into it a bit.

That being said, we can debate this all night. But the reason we lost is we could only manage one lousy ****ing run. This offense is brutal. And against Kirk Saarloos nonetheless. I can accept being shut down by a Rich Harden or a Barry Zito. But Kirk Saarloos? That's pathetic.

Also, the defense once again lets us down. This team isn't good enough to win games making mistakes like that. Here's the thing about building your team around pitching and defense: you actually have to pitch well and catch the damn ball!! Two dropped pop-ups in two consecutive days may have cost us these games.

What a crappy game. :angry:

Viva Medias B's
04-27-2005, 08:09 PM
I haven't read all 14 pages worth of posts yet, but here's my opinion.

I thought the Crede HBP was the right call. Is it a call you see made often? No. Guys like Craig Biggio, Jason Kendall and Fernando Vina did/do this all the time. Just because the call isn't made often, that doesn't mean it isn't the right call. Crede did lean into it a bit.

That being said, we can debate this all night. But the reason we lost is we could only manage one lousy ****ing run. This offense is brutal. And against Kirk Saarloos nonetheless. I can accept being shut down by a Rich Harden or a Barry Zito. But Kirk Saarloos? That's pathetic.

Also, the defense once again lets us down. This team isn't good enough to win games making mistakes like that. Here's the thing about building your team around pitching and defense: you actually have to pitch well and catch the damn ball!! Two dropped pop-ups in two consecutive days may have cost us these games.

What a crappy game. :angry:

The Crede call may have been right per the rules, but it's seldom called and was today because of Wendelstedt's vendetta against Ozzie.

I'll agree with you that our offense and our defense is why we lost these games. Had we hit the ball and caught the ball, we would have overcome these blown calls by the umpires.

hawkjt
04-27-2005, 08:10 PM
Look at the situation. Joe has a 1-2 count and the pitcher throws a slow curve ball. Joe picks up the spin and he has to hang in there cuz if it breaks across the plate the inning is over. So he does what they are supposed to do -not bail out.
Thing does not break that much and hits a batter hanging in who is still not over the plate. The pitch was called a ball cuz it hit him in the batters box.

So hitters have to bail on inside curve balls in case they dont break? And if they do not bail and hold there ground in the batters box and get hit by a curve that is far enough inside to be in the batters box it should not count? Ludicrous.

Froemming and Wendelasshol need to be roundly booed in soxpark the rest of their careers.

PAPChiSox729
04-27-2005, 08:12 PM
The Crede call may have been right per the rules, but it's seldom called and was today because of Wendelstedt's vendetta against Ozzie.

I'll agree with you that our offense and our defense is why we lost these games. Had we hit the ball and caught the ball, we would have overcome these blown calls by the umpires.

I agree 100%. If we had played well, I could easily see us sweeping that series. But the past is past. I just hope things improve once everyone gets healthy. They really need that day off.

nasox
04-27-2005, 08:13 PM
:tomatoaward:tomatoaward

Two rage-filled tomatos.

Call 'em Hatematoes.

balke
04-27-2005, 08:16 PM
Our offense and defense sucks because of the injuries, and Dye. We need Uribe back ASAP.

I thought this team was sink proof to injuries, but apparently not. I think we need to figure out the JD problem quick, and perhaps bring up some young talent so we never have to see Widger-Crede-Harris in the infield again. Fields is a much better option there right now. I understand a couple starts, if Uribe will only miss a few games, but we can't afford to drop back into second while he's out.

johnny_mostil
04-27-2005, 08:17 PM

In law it's called "selective prosecution" and it's considered highly unethical. It's like a basketball ref calling baseline violations on unguarded inbounds after basket -- they happen ten times a game and they only getting called when a ref is out to make a statement.

JUribe1989
04-27-2005, 08:20 PM
I never forgot Hunter Wendelstedt's name the first time he threw out Ozzie and got us suspended on a **** call. Now he has done it again. Let's take our off day and get some rest, go out there and kick come Tiger ass! We got a big homestand and we gotta take advantage of it. Royals beating Twins 1-0 in the first!! We are still 4 up with a KC win!

mealfred13
04-27-2005, 08:21 PM
Our offense and defense sucks because of the injuries, and Dye. We need Uribe back ASAP.

I thought this team was sink proof to injuries, but apparently not. I think we need to figure out the JD problem quick, and perhaps bring up some young talent so we never have to see Widger-Crede-Harris in the infield again. Fields is a much better option there right now. I understand a couple starts, if Uribe will only miss a few games, but we can't afford to drop back into second while he's out.

Despite the "shock and awe" caused by the announcements for the startinig position players today, Crede did a good job at short and Widger did a serviceable job at third. Willie is usually very good at second, and I'm just glad they didn't have him starting at short again.

However, once we had to resort to DYE, of all people, at short, the defense really jumped the shark.

That said, I don't think there's any way we could get around these problems without putting someone on the DL. There's no room on the roster, and it's just a freak accident that enough of our infielders are hurt to the point where we are scrambling for starters. Ozzie did go with an extra utility player over an extra pitcher or catcher coming out of ST, but imagine the problems we'd be having if we didn't have Willie or Osuna off the bench.

We could have had a starting infield of Konerko, Harris, Widger and Burke or Davis.....:o:

TaylorStSox
04-27-2005, 08:22 PM
Lastly, the pitch before Crede got plunked was a blown call. This time the call went our was right down the middle and the ump called it a ball. Joe should have been struck out. These things happen.

balke
04-27-2005, 08:26 PM
Despite the "shock and awe" caused by the announcements for the startinig position players today, Crede did a good job at short and Widger did a serviceable job at third. Willie is usually very good at second, and I'm just glad they didn't have him starting at short again.

We could have had a starting infield of Konerko, Harris, Widger and Burke or Davis.....:o:

Widger was serviceable at best, but he was definitely not comfortable. Imagine if this is our lineup for a Garland or Buehrle game
:o:. Most of the balls were popouts today. A hard liner to the left side would be an adventure every time. Crede and Widger did pretty good, it just can't last if we are serious about winning.

I'm fine with Willie or Iguchi at 2nd. I'm interested to see where Iguchi plays if Uribe and Ozuna are still out this weekend.

PAPChiSox729
04-27-2005, 08:27 PM
Lastly, the pitch before Crede got plunked was a blown call. This time the call went our was right down the middle and the ump called it a ball. Joe should have been struck out. These things happen.

I could see that going either way. It looked like a strike, so the HBP should have never happend. What I have a problem with is that even though calling Crede back was the right call, the only reason he did it was to tee off Ozzie, which he did. Holding a grudge against an entire team just because you dislike their manager is wrong.

balke
04-27-2005, 08:28 PM
Tossing Crede was the biggest deal.

johnny_mostil
04-27-2005, 08:29 PM

Yeah, good point. The ejection was obnoxious, though; and the failure to eject Yabu (and Macha) Tuesday when he hit Ozuna four batters after the "warning" smacked of selective umpiring. That was the 4th HBP in two games. I know they don't have to eject a pitcher after a warning but they usually do, especially so soon thereafter.

I think the point is (1) we knew going in that the umpiring would be a problem just from looking at the crew and (2) it materialized because (3) Froemming's crew is just not up to any reasonable professional standards of impartial behavior.

VivaOzzie
04-27-2005, 08:30 PM
I could see that going either way. It looked like a strike, so the HBP should have never happend. What I have a problem with is that even though calling Crede back was the right call, the only reason he did it was to tee off Ozzie, which he did. Holding a grudge against an entire team just because you dislike their manager is wrong. <-----(nice touch)

:D:

Brian26
04-27-2005, 08:30 PM
It is the umpiring crew who in fact allowed the Oakland pitchers to hit 6 of our batters, thus creating a major injury problem for us. They were pathetic.

We've got guys injured on the bench because they were drilled yesterday by Oakland pitchers (who NEVER got a warning). We got guys who were hit on the hands and wrist and can't even hold a ****ing bat today. We had to have Crede and Jermain Dye play shortstop.

Bottom line is this: Yes, the Sox didn't play well today. Yes, they hit into some DP's and missed some oppotunities to score. However, the A's didn't play great either. Today's game and yesterday's game were both winnable. It's not about whether or not we "deserved" to win. Sometimes both teams play terribly. We have been royally screwed two games in a row by vindictive, incompetent umpires. Kenny Williams and the Sox organization should file a grievance with Major League Baseball tonight. These two umpires (Froeming and Wenndlestadt) should be suspended. This is heinous.

TaylorStSox
04-27-2005, 08:33 PM
I could see that going either way. It looked like a strike, so the HBP should have never happend. What I have a problem with is that even though calling Crede back was the right call, the only reason he did it was to tee off Ozzie, which he did. Holding a grudge against an entire team just because you dislike their manager is wrong.

Completely agree.

mealfred13
Yeah, good point. The ejection was obnoxious, though; and the failure to eject Yabu (and Macha) Tuesday when he hit Ozuna four batters after the "warning" smacked of selective umpiring. That was the 4th HBP in two games. I know they don't have to eject a pitcher after a warning but they usually do, especially so soon thereafter.

I think the point is (1) we knew going in that the umpiring would be a problem just from looking at the crew and (2) it materialized because (3) Froemming's crew is just not up to any reasonable professional standards of impartial behavior.

...and (4) something needs to be done about it.

Traditionally, managers are known to swear and yell at Umpires, but correct me if I'm wrong but an Umpire has no business mocking a manager's coaching abilities like Hunter did last year (leading to Ozzie's suspension) and he has absolutely no business dropping F-Bombs on a manager as he walks back to the dugout. The only reason Ozzie got tossed today was because Hunter instigated a swearing-fest with him after-the-fact.

kevingrt

Got to agree with you last statement. A umpire should never hold a grudge against a team, player, or manager. It's so low and just not right for an umpire. In fact umpires should never have "make-up calls." Every pitch is a new pitch and every AB is a new AB. The past few should have no determination on the outcome of the next one. Piss poor umping both yesterday and today.

kevingrt
04-27-2005, 08:34 PM
...and (4) something needs to be done about it, especially with Wendelstedt starting a swearing-match with ozzie.

Traditionally, managers are known to swear and yell at Umpires, but correct me if I'm wrong but an Umpire has no business mocking a manager's coaching abilities like Hunter did last year (leading to Ozzie's suspension) and he has absolutely no business dropping F-Bombs on a manager as he walks back to the dugout. The only reason Ozzie got tossed today was because Hunter instigated a swearing-fest with him after-the-fact.

Who can't wait to hear about Ozzi'e post game press conference with the media? Will he rip on the umpires or hold it back?

Uncle_Patrick
04-27-2005, 08:43 PM
Who can't wait to hear about Ozzi'e post game press conference with the media? Will he rip on the umpires or hold it back?

As much as I'd love to hear Ozzie rip the umps a new one, I hope he holds back. I don't want him to give them more reason to "blow" close calls and selectively enforce obscure rules against the Sox.

White_Sock
04-27-2005, 08:45 PM
I was at all three games here in Oakland. I have to say the last two days have been a nightmare. That call today was so bogus. Dye at ss? Rowand's dropped ball today killed us too. Umps calls aside, we were not the defensive team that we set out to be. Hopefully Jose Uribe will be back with Iguchi soon turning twos like nobody's business.

BarbG
04-27-2005, 08:46 PM
Podsednik was safe at 1st today.

The A's-clown was OUT yesterday at the plate.

The strike zone changed with every batter.

WE got a warning yet nothing is done after they hit SIX of our batters.

THAT is BAD UMPIRING. That is a cheat, a rip-off, a fix, I really don't care what you call it.

I saw more blatant, obvious bad calls in the past 48 hours than I did in the 70's - the whole freaking decade. It is freaking ludicrous.

It was NOT about ONE (bad) call. I was there last year when that same a-hole called CLee out (he was safe) at 2nd which led to Ozzie's ejection/suspension from that game. This was retaliation/a grudge taken out on a team, and anybody who didn't see that needs to remove the rose-colored goggles. Pile enough of this crap on to one team and it gets in their heads and they play like crap.

I'm surprised nobody mentioned the audio being on when Ozzie was tossed. You could hear every word. I was actually proud of Ozzie for not backing down but he needed a few (dozen) more expletives.

Brian26
04-27-2005, 08:47 PM
I want to start a petition to MLB regarding this umpiring crew. A blind man could tell that these last two games were horribly umpired.

In fact, I want to contact MLB about this, and I think it would be nice if they received a flood of mail (email?) regarding this horrendous crew. Anyone know where to do this?

I'm with you 100% on this. If anyone has a phone number or email address, please let me know. This is the biggest umpiring travesty over a two-game span I've ever seen. It was almost comical.

Brian26
04-27-2005, 08:51 PM
I want to win as much as anybody else. I'm not going to get angry and play the "blame game" over a series in April though.

Huh? Wins don't count as much in April as they do in September?

If someone beats our team fair and square, you tip your hat and fight again another day. If we get beat two days in a row by CROOKED UMPIRES, then we've got every right in the world to be mad as hell.

Brian26
04-27-2005, 08:52 PM
LOL. Now we're quoting DJ as evidence. I've found, in the time since DJ's been here, that's a fallacy in it self.

You're borderline troll at this point.

VivaOzzie
04-27-2005, 08:55 PM
I was at all three games here in Oakland. I have to say the last two days have been a nightmare. That call today was so bogus. Dye at ss? Rowand's dropped ball today killed us too. Umps calls aside, we were not the defensive team that we set out to be. Hopefully Jose Uribe will be back with Iguchi soon turning twos like nobody's business.

(Juan)

Brian26
04-27-2005, 08:57 PM

The Crede call is a BS call, just like the BS call last night of calling a balk on Marte when the tying run is on third base. Total BS calls by crooked umpires. Pathetic.

I'm sick and tired of these comments about "we didn't deserve to win." Whatever. Some days both teams play great, and some days both teams play terribly. The game was outright taken away from us today and last night. We didn't have a chance to win. Maybe we didn't deserve to win, but we played *good enough* to win, but we weren't allowed to. That's the problem.

VivaOzzie
04-27-2005, 09:01 PM
It was NOT about ONE (bad) call. I was there last year when that same a-hole called CLee out (he was safe) at 2nd which led to Ozzie's ejection/suspension from that game. This was retaliation/a grudge taken out on a team, and anybody who didn't see that needs to remove the rose-colored goggles. Pile enough of this crap on to one team and it gets in their heads and they play like crap.

Exactly. You think Hermanson pitches with confidence knowing that Dye and Widger are the left side of the infield? No way. The game is so mental, and the umps ruined our mentality these last 2 games. Knowing everytime you go into the batters box, you can get binked without any reprocussions, has to suck. I hope our guys can forget about this crap and it lights a fire for us.

JUribe1989
04-27-2005, 09:39 PM
I really think Wendelstedt is going to face some big disciplinary action. He obviously told Ozzie to **** off twice as Ozzie was walking away after the argument. I just watched the replay again. So yeah, I really think MLB will have to notice this.

SoxxoS
04-27-2005, 09:48 PM
We will get our fair share of "bad" calls in our favor. These things tend to even out.

We just need to make sure we are ready to play on Friday. And Jermaine has to take his firmly planted head out of his ass.

kevingrt
04-27-2005, 10:02 PM
I really think Wendelstedt is going to face some big disciplinary action. He obviously told Ozzie to **** off twice as Ozzie was walking away after the argument. I just watched the replay again. So yeah, I really think MLB will have to notice this.

It was so blantant and so terrible, Bud and company have to do something about it. It was apparent to everyone on television and why else would Guillen not jump right back out at him unless Wendelstedt hadn't done anything.

Kogs35
04-27-2005, 10:03 PM
I'm with you 100% on this. If anyone has a phone number or email address, please let me know. This is the biggest umpiring travesty over a two-game span I've ever seen. It was almost comical.
here u go

Contact Information</SPAN>

The Office of the Commissioner of Baseball
Allan H. (Bud) Selig, Commissioner
245 Park Avenue, 31st Floor
New York, NY 10167
Phone: (212) 931-7800

JUribe1989
04-27-2005, 10:03 PM
It was so blantant and so terrible, Bud and company have to do something about it. It was apparent to everyone on television and why else would Guillen not jump right back out at him unless Wendelstedt hadn't done anything.

I have faith that MLB will notice this just because of the controversy last year with Wendelstedt. Can the Sox protest or appeal or anything after a game?

daveeym
04-27-2005, 10:06 PM
In law it's called "selective prosecution" and it's considered highly unethical. It's like a basketball ref calling baseline violations on unguarded inbounds after basket -- they happen ten times a game and they only getting called when a ref is out to make a statement. Bull****, it's called crede went out of his way to get hit. He didn't stand there and take it, he didn't turn into it, he moved out of the way and then leaned back into it with the intent to get hit. That was the most obvious "lean in" to a pitch I've ever seen. Good intentions by crede but you gotta sell that and he failed miserably, kinda stupid that ozzie and him got ejected cuz of it too, ozzie should have been out there arguing much earlier in the series.

Lip Man 1
04-27-2005, 10:16 PM
Game recap with early Ozzie quotes:

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-050427soxgamer,1,3018422.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

My take on this is as follows. Oakland is becomming this generation's version of Memorial Stadium in Baltimore.

If it was bizarre, strange, unexpected, controversial you can bet it was going to happen in Baltimore. From the home run being taken away in 1960 because an umpire supposedly called time right before the pitch (although published accounts said no one on either team ever heard it), to Bill Melton losing a ball in the lights and having his nose broke in 1971 to Mike Boddicker and his 'slurve' pitch in 1983. It was a house of Sox horrors.

My concern is 'what now'. Fans, especially Sox fans, have every right to be edgy given the history of this franchise but I often wonder about the players themselves. They had to have read and heard the press clipping, the TV guys basically dismissing them before the season even started. You wonder if they put any stock at all in that stuff? They get off to a great start but the past two days leaves room for doubt. It's only human to wonder.

The next week will tell me something about the rest of the season. Detroit and Kansas City are in town, the Sox should take 4 of 6. That gives them a 20-8 record. That's the best way to recover from Oakland.

Lip

soxwon
04-27-2005, 10:19 PM
just hang in there, we will be fine

just remember even if we play just .500 ball the rest of the year, we will still have 87 wins.

PAPChiSox729
04-27-2005, 10:22 PM
The next week will tell me something about the rest of the season. Detroit and Kansas City are in town, the Sox should take 4 of 6. That gives them a 20-8 record. That's the best way to recover from Oakland.

Lip

The Sox are lucky because after having a pretty horrible series in Oakland, they get to face the Royals and Tigers during their next homestand. Those are 6 very winable games. Hopefully, they will forget about what happend in Oakland and kick some KC and Kitty butt.

Iguana775
04-27-2005, 10:24 PM
damn, and here i thought it was just a case of pathetic hitting and no clutch hits. guess i was wrong. lol

Lip Man 1
04-27-2005, 10:32 PM
That's an interesting point. Many are saying (including Bill Melton today on the post-game show) that 'the hitting will come around...'

The question is 'when?'

April's almost gone and we're still waiting. One could make a case that this is just a different twist on the 'it's early' theme from the past few years. Lo and behold, before you know it, it's June and it's 'not early,' anymore.

Lip

Rocklive99
04-27-2005, 10:44 PM
Watched until the 8th, heard the rest and the whole debacle in the car on the drive to school.

So let me get this straight, we get hit twice last night, a blown and questionable call to which Ozzie does not argue, we get a call by MLB telling Ozzie we are warned and that he will be watched closely. Then, today, they hit 2 of our hitters, one "doesn't count", Ozzie gets ejected (Farmer and Rooney, also hot, saying Ozzie had history with this umpire and they kind of expected this) Crede gets ejected for throwing his bat in frustration, hurting our already hurt depth with injuries? ***? MLB better damn right look into this game. I hate when umpires think the fans paid to see them and take over a game like that. I am young, but the worst crew I have ever seen.

infohawk
04-27-2005, 10:56 PM

This game was lost because our offense was pathetic and Aaron dropped a routine fly ball, which for the second time led to the losing run.

In Aaron's defense, he couldn't see the ball because of the sun. Totally different from Dye's drop the other night, which was just bad, bad.

infohawk
04-27-2005, 11:00 PM
Please, stop.

We had chris widger at 3rd, crede at SS, willie at 2nd and without Uribe and gooch available....

Throw in the umps being absolute jag bags, give me a break....

"dont give me the sun excuse".....Ok buddy

Take that **** somewhere else

I agree with Chisox003. Truer words were never spoken.

infohawk
04-27-2005, 11:08 PM
Yeah, but it gets into their heads...then they can't even catch fly balls, or make a play on a ground ball. The same old Sox with the same crappy umpiring right behind them. Don't deny it...even if our offense was pathetic, we've been winning games late in the game with pathetic offense. I'M SO PISSED!!!!!!! :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

We didn't have our A-team out there today. There is a reason some guys are starters and others are backups, and there is a reason why most players play certain positions. I can fully understand why guys may have been a bit "tight" today.

I will say that Dye is having an abysmal April. I say April in hopes that he is just having a bad month. If he doesn't get it together by the middle/end of May, I think he should probably be benched for awhile. I'm hesitant to bench him now, because some guys go bad for a month or two and then turn it around. Maybe a platoon is in order. Almost every player slumps at some point. I'm hoping he is just getting his out of the way early. I'm actually less concerned about his hitting then his defense. He has the reputation of being a really good defender. He shouldn't be dropping balls, letting balls roll past him and missing cut-off men. That signifies a concentration problem to me.