PDA

View Full Version : Dye is KILLING us....

White Sox Randy
04-27-2005, 05:22 PM
Ozzie should start playing Gload. We need his offense. Against RH he should have Gload in left, Pods in center and Rowand in right. We have to get this offense going. And, when Dye gets back in the lineup he should be in the 7th hole !

CubsfansareDRUNK
04-27-2005, 05:37 PM
first crede and now dye?

mweflen
04-27-2005, 05:39 PM
i want to say "it's early..." but after the last few games (esp. last night) it's pretty tough to disagree. We've got reserves for a reason.

Hangar18
04-27-2005, 05:40 PM
killing us indeed. Dye will be no good to us if he loses his confidence .......
time to pt him ...........or bat him 8th !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CubsfansareDRUNK
04-27-2005, 05:41 PM
im gunna DYE if ozzie doesnt do something

nodiggity59
04-27-2005, 05:42 PM
Been missing your Media Watch lately, Hangar. As you have so many times so many times before, took the post right out of my mouth.

Unregistered
04-27-2005, 05:43 PM
first crede and now dye?Oh, no. All the "It's early" and "Not this again" posts DO NOT apply in this situation. Dye needs to be benched every couple of games and/or moved down in the lineup, cause he is the easiest out in baseball right now.

CubsfansareDRUNK
04-27-2005, 05:44 PM
Oh, no. All the "It's early" and "Not this again" posts DO NOT apply in this situation. Dye needs to be benched every couple of games and/or moved down in the lineup, cause he is the easiest out in baseball right now.

k

swanson24
04-27-2005, 05:46 PM
Gload will get playing time, especially now april 27th with the team dealing with injuries. Anybody who has seen the lineups posted this year knows that Ozzie will get everyone involved.
My response to sitting Dye in favor of Gload is that Dye is paid more money for areason to be our starting right fielder. He has gone through a funk recently but he is too talented to stay there at that poor of level. It also should be noted that the Oakland series could help lift him out of a funk by facing younger and more untested pitching. Just a thought.

itsnotrequired
04-27-2005, 05:48 PM
Our good buddy Dye just made an error allowing runners to advance to 2nd and 3rd in the top of the ninth with the game tied.

The worst.

mweflen
04-27-2005, 05:48 PM
speaking of, he just made another fielding error which may cost us today's game.

edit: bang bang double play combo of Harris and Crede (?) just bailed him out.

swanson24
04-27-2005, 05:49 PM
Wait a minute a baseball player made an error in a game. Stop the presses!

mweflen
04-27-2005, 05:52 PM
:tealpolice:Wait a minute a baseball player made an error in a game. Stop the presses!

Where is the "Auugh!!! My Eyes!!!" picture stored?

Unregistered
04-27-2005, 05:53 PM
Wait a minute a baseball player made an error in a game. Stop the presses!:tealpolice: .

itsnotrequired
04-27-2005, 05:54 PM
Wait a minute a baseball player made an error in a game. Stop the presses!

This is his second error in two games. He got bailed out on this one but the one yesterday cost a run. He also overthrew the cutoff man which allowed another run to score. Wouldn't be that big a deal if he was doing something on the other side of the ball but I think we all know how that's going...

mweflen
04-27-2005, 05:54 PM
Maybe JD can make up for it with his one hit every 10 AB's or so right now...

mealfred13
04-27-2005, 05:56 PM
Our good buddy Dye just made an error allowing runners to advance to 2nd and 3rd in the top of the ninth with the game tied.

The worst.

It was the bottom of the 8th, and that wasn't really an error. The ball bounced off the runner's helmet, otherwise they would have had a play at third. In that situation, I saw nothing wrong with the attempt.

That said, I have to agree with this thread that Dye has been really hurting us in the field and with his bat. Other than that last attempt, someone needs to tell him to hit the freaking cutoff man. You'd think a guy who's been in the major leagues as long has he has would no better than to throw over the cutoff man constantly. I'm not about to tell Ozzie what to do with him as far as starting him, but someone needs to at least have a talk with him if they haven't already.

mweflen
04-27-2005, 05:59 PM
He obviously is a headcase right now. He just has that deer in headlights look at times. We all know he's a better player than this - but it's been a month already. Time to shake things up.

White Sox Randy
04-27-2005, 05:59 PM
I was excited about his signing and predicted that he would do very well. But, he has clearly been the biggest disappointment on the Sox so far.

He has been bad both defensively and offensively. Ozzie HAS to sit his butt down NOW.

swanson24
04-27-2005, 06:00 PM
The guy has made an All Star team at least once in his career I believe. He has been an everyday starter in the majors for at least 5 years right? Do you think he is really that bad? Maybe I do appreciate this guy too much as a fan. By the way I don't know if you guys are aware of how great of a teamate he is when the injuries pilled up Dye and Pollite offered to play the infield. (Check out the article on whitesox.com) How many MLB players would do that for their team?

itsnotrequired
04-27-2005, 06:01 PM
It was the bottom of the 8th, and that wasn't really an error. The ball bounced off the runner's helmet, otherwise they would have had a play at third. In that situation, I saw nothing wrong with the attempt.

That said, I have to agree with this thread that Dye has been really hurting us in the field and with his bat. Other than that last attempt, someone needs to tell him to hit the freaking cutoff man. You'd think a guy who's been in the major leagues as long has he has would no better than to throw over the cutoff man constantly. I'm not about to tell Ozzie what to do with him as far as starting him, but someone needs to at least have a talk with him if they haven't already.

I'm not watching the game so I don't know exactly what happened. Still, Dye is in a major funk. Average is down to .171 after this game.

swanson24
04-27-2005, 06:03 PM
I think the bottom line is that we will need Dye's help this season and the only way he can improve is for Ozzie to keep getting him At Bats when he can.
If he continues to struggle you would have to trade him but I honestly don't believe that will happen. For the Record I believe he will improve and this thread will be a distant memory

eriqjaffe
04-27-2005, 06:11 PM
Now he has a chance to make his first error at shortstop!

krohnjw
04-27-2005, 06:14 PM
OT: What did Crede and Ozzie get ejected for after popups?

edit: nm got an answer.

Randar68
04-27-2005, 06:28 PM
i want to say "it's early..." but after the last few games (esp. last night) it's pretty tough to disagree. We've got reserves for a reason.

The problem is, not only isn't he hitting for a damn, but now his defense has gone totally into the crapper. You gotta sit him for a couple days and then give him 2-3 more weeks at least.

After that? When does the Brian Anderson era begin?

Will the real Paul Konerko please stand up? ugh.

Can we trade Dye or Willie for a competent back-up SS? Dye for Graffanino?

CubsfansareDRUNK
04-27-2005, 06:30 PM
its almost like hes making errors on purpose

SoxFan48
04-27-2005, 06:32 PM
The guy has made an All Star team at least once in his career I believe. He has been an everyday starter in the majors for at least 5 years right? Do you think he is really that bad? Maybe I do appreciate this guy too much as a fan. By the way I don't know if you guys are aware of how great of a teamate he is when the injuries pilled up Dye and Pollite offered to play the infield. (Check out the article on whitesox.com) How many MLB players would do that for their team?

They pile on the years, the injuries, they lose bat speed and they overcompensate by trying to guess the pitch and swing early. We are laughing at the Tigers for Ordonez right now. The A's are laughing at us for Dye.

SoxFan48
04-27-2005, 06:33 PM
Can we trade Dye or Willie for a competent back-up SS? Dye for Graffanino?

And why would anyone want to trade for Dyke and/or Willie?

Randar68
04-27-2005, 06:40 PM
And why would anyone want to trade for Dyke and/or Willie?

ummm, we ain't asking for anything but a back-up SS. Why would anyone think Dye or Willie had that little trade value? Even as bad as Dye is playing today, he's not this bad.

RavenswoodFan
04-27-2005, 07:03 PM
I agree, maybe sitting him will clear his head a bit. Honestly he cost us the game last night.

Jjav829
04-27-2005, 07:32 PM
ummm, we ain't asking for anything but a back-up SS. Why would anyone think Dye or Willie had that little trade value? Even as bad as Dye is playing today, he's not this bad.

So what's your sales pitch on this?

KW: "Hey, he's really good. All we want is a backup shortstop."

Other GM: "Wait, you say he is really good, but all you want in return is a backup shortstop?"

KW: "Yeah, that's right. We don't want him anymore. But it has nothing to do with his poor defense or sub-.200 average or the fact that we are paying him $4 million to suck. I mean, hey, he's not injured yet and he's a great teammate. Maybe you can make him a bench coach or something. All we want is a backup shortstop.

Other GM: "Uhh, let me consider that." *click*

KW: "Hello.....hello....."

Seriously, we're stuck with him. He's guaranteed at least $10.15 million and still has one more year left after this year. He's playing like crap this year and hasn't really been very good in a few years. No one is going to want him. He better start picking it up soon.

Chisox003
04-27-2005, 07:36 PM
So what's your sales pitch on this?

KW: "Hey, he's really good. All we want is a backup shortstop."

Other GM: "Wait, you say he is really good, but all you want in return is a backup shortstop?"

KW: "Yeah, that's right. We don't want him anymore. But it has nothing to do with his poor defense or sub-.200 average or the fact that we are paying him $4 million to suck. I mean, hey, he's not injured yet and he's a great teammate. Maybe you can make him a bench coach or something. All we want is a backup shortstop.

Other GM: "Uhh, let me consider that." *click*

KW: "Hello.....hello....."

Seriously, we're stuck with him. He's guaranteed at least $10.15 million and still has one more year left after this year. He's playing like crap this year and hasn't really been very good in a few years. No one is going to want him. He better start picking it up soon.

Honestly, I still think Dye is going to be a huge part of this team this summer...

I really think his offense is affecting his usually steady defense (i sure hope so, at least)....Once he starts hitting, which he will, I expect his dependable D to return and all these talks of benching and trading him to go away...

Cmon JD!

ElevenUp
04-27-2005, 07:42 PM
It wouldn't bother me too much if he was just struggling at the plate. When he's making errors in the field that are costing games, that's another story.:(:

AZChiSoxFan
04-27-2005, 07:53 PM
I never thought I'd say this but, I wish we had Borchard in RF now.

mealfred13
04-27-2005, 08:05 PM
It wouldn't bother me too much if he was just struggling at the plate. When he's making errors in the field that are costing games, that's another story.:(:

I have to agree here. Dye has to learn to leave his offensive struggles at the plate and not bring them onto the field, if that's what he's doing.

I still have confidence that he'll get over it, and by no means am I calling for his head, but he's really been bringing the team down lately. He's been a rally-killer and liability on the field, both of which are things he's not been throughout his career. If he starts playing up to his abilities, the team would get a much-needed boost after this past series.

balke
04-27-2005, 08:10 PM
I can't blame KW for bringing Dye in here. Most everyone thought it was a good idea, or at the very least a much better option than ever having to see Gload in the outfield again. I like Gload at first. I still do. A lot of this is a little knee jerk about putting Ross out there. I wouldn't mind bringing up a real RF for a while though. Anderson is tearing it up in the minors as we speak, and Since day one of having this guy I've heard he's the future. I say bring on the youth.

SoxxoS
04-27-2005, 08:11 PM

Let's not get crazy...although I am close to wishing the same thing. I would rather just go with Brian Anderson.

SoxxoS
04-27-2005, 08:11 PM
I can't blame KW for bringing Dye in here. Most everyone thought it was a good idea, or at the very least a much better option than ever having to see Gload in the outfield again. I like Gload at first. I still do. A lot of this is a little knee jerk about putting Ross out there. I wouldn't mind bringing up a real RF for a while though. Anderson is tearing it up in the minors as we speak, and Since day one of having this guy I've heard he's the future. I say bring on the youth.

Gload is good as a fill in and decent depth. He isn't good enough (IMO) to be a starting MLB 1Baseman.

balke
04-27-2005, 08:21 PM
Gload is good as a fill in and decent depth. He isn't good enough (IMO) to be a starting MLB 1Baseman.
Definitely not over PK, but he's a pretty darn good backup. He might have the talent to be a starter on some team in the league... but I doubt he ever will be.

kevingrt
04-27-2005, 08:35 PM
Honestly, I still think Dye is going to be a huge part of this team this summer...

I really think his offense is affecting his usually steady defense (i sure hope so, at least)....Once he starts hitting, which he will, I expect his dependable D to return and all these talks of benching and trading him to go away...

Cmon JD!

I have no doubt Dye will be apart of this team the rest of the year. The question right now is we still need a back up SS and how can we get one.

VivaOzzie
04-27-2005, 09:57 PM
Next time Dye is on MTV Cribs, I hope he has a batting cage put in somewhere.

PAPChiSox729
04-27-2005, 10:13 PM
Let's not get crazy...although I am close to wishing the same thing. I would rather just go with Brian Anderson.

Anderson has been on fire at AAA. He is batting like .320... Hopefully Dye will snap out of this soon. It looked like he was close a few days ago, but today's game really set him back. We need a productive bat in the 5 slot. This offense is having enough trouble!

SoxxoS
04-27-2005, 10:32 PM
Anderson has been on fire at AAA. He is batting like .320... Hopefully Dye will snap out of this soon. It looked like he was close a few days ago, but today's game really set him back. We need a productive bat in the 5 slot. This offense is having enough trouble!

And I don't think KW would hesistate to see if the kid can hack it. Even though Dye costs a pretty penny, I don't think that matters.

Dye deserves another week of at bats, just from his past history and knowing he can't be this bad. If not, we should see if the kid can hack it. When Thomas comes back, Everett is always an option in RF, although a :(: one.

Daver
04-27-2005, 10:38 PM
And I don't think KW would hesistate to see if the kid can hack it. Even though Dye costs a pretty penny, I don't think that matters.

Dye deserves another week of at bats, just from his past history and knowing he can't be this bad. If not, we should see if the kid can hack it. When Thomas comes back, Everett is always an option in RF, although a :(: one.

Unless Ozzie is an even bigger idiot than I thought, Carl would play left, Rowand would play right, and Podseidnik would play center.

pczarapa
04-27-2005, 10:46 PM
So he's had a crappy April, lets not burn him at the stake yet. If he's still sucking in late May then I'd buy into a change. I've always liked Dye, and he's been a traditionally slow started. I'm thoroughly convinced there's some west coast curse on this team.

Ol' No. 2
04-27-2005, 11:08 PM
So he's had a crappy April, lets not burn him at the stake yet. If he's still sucking in late May then I'd buy into a change. I've always liked Dye, and he's been a traditionally slow started. I'm thoroughly convinced there's some west coast curse on this team.The problem is, his offensive struggles are now affecting his defense. I agree that he's probably going to snap out of it in time. Jeter started 2004 in a horrible slump but he came around. But in the meantime, he's hurting the team. and the schedule gets a lot harder in May. I think they need to do two things:

1. Sit him a few days a week. Just flailing away day after day doesn't help. On off-days he can just chill out and work on getting his swing back to where it was. Hopefully, a few sessions with Dr. Walker can get him back on track.

2. He's got to be moved from the #5 spot when he plays. Not only is he an almost automatic out, but it affects the players before and after him. There are better options. Move him down to 8. Take some of the pressure off.

jake27
04-27-2005, 11:11 PM
The problem is, his offensive struggles are now affecting his defense. I agree that he's probably going to snap out of it in time. Jeter started 2004 in a horrible slump but he came around. But in the meantime, he's hurting the team. and the schedule gets a lot harder in May. I think they need to do two things:

1. Sit him a few days a week. Just flailing away day after day doesn't help. On off-days he can just chill out and work on getting his swing back to where it was. Hopefully, a few sessions with Dr. Walker can get him back on track.

2. He's got to be moved from the #5 spot when he plays. Not only is he an almost automatic out, but it affects the players before and after him. There are better options. Move him down to 8. Take some of the pressure off.

yes, i think he will snap out of it too. i was just going to say jeter started terrible last year. common we havent even been playing a month, give him a little more time. i also agree how we should move him down in the order, having him at number 5 isnt helping at all.

JB98
04-27-2005, 11:19 PM

Oh, Good Lord. Dye may be hitting .170, but at least he's facing big-league pitching. Borchard is hitting .170 in triple-A.

I'm sticking with Dye. If he's still hitting like this in another two or three weeks, I'll jump on the bench Dye bandwagon. A couple weeks ago, we were having threads like this about Crede. It all changed quickly.

I think, at least I hope, Brian Anderson has passed LTP on the organizational depth chart.

shoota
04-28-2005, 12:23 AM

I've given the proven All-Star Gold Glover every benefit of the doubt this season to start playing well, but I now agree with your two suggestions. Dye is obviously struggling and pressing, so a couple games off can do much for him. Let Gload start one game, Timo the other.

I have confidence he will greatly help this team win this year.

balke
04-28-2005, 12:39 AM
This gives me flashbacks to 2003 when we had high expectations for Konerko and he super slumped, and his #'s could have helped us get in the playoffs had he been on all season. A lot of us have (had) high expecations for Dye to come here and overperform. So far this is a big disappointment.

Speaking of which, he's gotten a few hits here and there, but Paulie is our leader right now, and kinda contributed to losing by leaving 4 on and GIDP'd in a critical situation himself. I hope we can get our wheels back on track when healthy, and don't have to start praying for Frank to come back.

Note: We did score last night, and I think we had two bursts cut off before they started tonight. The first when Streets stepped off the bag for Quickdry, and the second the Crede fiasco. So this team can score with singles in spurts. I almost feel most comfortable when Crede is coming to bat to drive in some runs now... is that wierd?

MIgrenade
04-28-2005, 12:47 AM
Start by putting him in the 8th spot, if he doesn't respond bench him.

Unregistered
04-28-2005, 01:00 AM
Note: We did score last night, and I think we had two bursts cut off before they started tonight. The first when Streets stepped off the bag for Quickdry, and the second the Crede fiasco. So this team can score with singles in spurts. I almost feel most comfortable when Crede is coming to bat to drive in some runs now... is that wierd?That was actually Crede batting both those times. He struck out on the next pitch when that diva Street ordered the mound to be cleaned up in the middle of an AB.

elrod
04-28-2005, 01:07 AM
I don't blame Street for asking for the quick dry. The rain started coming down in the 4th inning and it's very likely that the mound had only become unmanageable in the inning Street was out there. As for it ruining Crede's concentration - well that's tough. You could say it ruined Street's concentration too.

As for Dye, he needs to move down to the #8 spot and Crede needs to move up.

Fake Chet Lemon
04-28-2005, 10:22 AM
Ozzie isn't doing Dye any favors batting him in a key RBI position. Come on OZ. Drop the guy and give him a chance to break out of it. But mix in Timo some more against Righties.

Knockoutinthepar
04-28-2005, 10:40 AM
Let him stay in there till Thomas gets back, then trade him down the river.

itsnotrequired
04-28-2005, 10:52 AM
Dye's numbers for the year are even worse than I thought. Batting .171 (worst in majors for players with at least 75 at bats), .203 OBP (worst in majors for players with at least 75 at bats) and has 3 errors (tied for worst in majors for outfielders). Yeesh...

SSN721
04-28-2005, 11:04 AM
As bad as Dye has looked defensively of late, I think anyone wanting Gload in the outfield must not remember the few times he played RF last year. Talk about brutal defense, he would cost us more games with his defense then Dye would with his right now.

Hangar18
04-28-2005, 11:51 AM
.........If he's still hitting like this in another two or three weeks, I'll jump on the bench Dye bandwagon.

Im Driving. ALL ABOARD !!

Hangar18
04-28-2005, 11:53 AM
Ozzie isn't doing Dye any favors batting him in a key RBI position. Come on OZ. Drop the guy and give him a chance to break out of it. But mix in Timo some more against Righties.

Ive been saying this for a while now, but Jerry Manue......er Ozzy refuses
to budge him from the no. 5 spot. Im tired of all the rally-killing ground outs.
He lost his confidence last week ......... I feel bad for him, but worse for us.

AZChiSoxFan
04-29-2005, 12:22 PM
Oh, Good Lord. Dye may be hitting .170, but at least he's facing big-league pitching. Borchard is hitting .170 in triple-A.

I'm sticking with Dye. If he's still hitting like this in another two or three weeks, I'll jump on the bench Dye bandwagon. A couple weeks ago, we were having threads like this about Crede. It all changed quickly.

I think, at least I hope, Brian Anderson has passed LTP on the organizational depth chart.

Sorry, I was just trying to make a joke.