PDA

View Full Version : Buffoonery at SI

dcb33
04-27-2005, 03:05 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writers/mark_bechtel/04/27/daily.blog/index.html

*SIGH* I don't even know where to start with this garbage.

Baby Fisk
04-27-2005, 03:15 PM
White Sox Baseball: WE DON'T CARE. :bandance:

JoseCanseco6969
04-27-2005, 03:16 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writers/mark_bechtel/04/27/daily.blog/index.html

It's best not to think about it. Worst team to root for...wow.

Flight #24
04-27-2005, 03:21 PM

So we're the worst to root for? Not because the team has been bad, not because we have a bad owner, not because we have a bad stadium, but because Hawk annoys him and he thinks Ozzie mouthed off?

Sure, Mark Bechtel. Go ahead and root for the Clippers, Cardinals(AZ), D-Rays. Guess what? We're winning, so....

We. Don't. Care.

Unregistered
04-27-2005, 03:23 PM
http://i.a.cnn.net/si/.element/img/2.0/story/writers/topper_mark_bechtel-daily.blog.jpg
I Am a Giant Douchebag!
I Have Nothing Worthwhile to Say, So I'll Just Rip A 100 Year-Old Franchise,
Proving I Know NOTHING About Sports.

It's amazing how someone as worthless as me gets paid to write a column for a SPORTS WEBSITE! I mean, really - isn't America great?!? Just months ago I was parking cars at Morton's when some guy walked up to me and said "Hey, do you want to write a blog?" I was like, "What's a blog?" And the rest, as they say, is history!

It's almost laughable that I even mention anything about baseball considering that I normally write a NASCAR column. But hell, NASCAR - MLB - sounds the same to me!

Idiot of the Week
You guessed it - ME again!
I'd invite you to write me as much hate mail as will fit in my inbox, but I'm too spineless to even LEAVE an email address, so just fill out that form on the right.

Kogs35
04-27-2005, 03:29 PM
http://i.a.cnn.net/si/.element/img/2.0/story/writers/topper_mark_bechtel-daily.blog.jpg
I Am a Giant Douchebag!

It's amazing how someone as worthless as me gets paid to write a column for a SPORTS WEBSITE! I mean, really - isn't America great?!? Just months ago I was parking cars at Morton's when some guy walked up to me and said "Hey, do you want to write a blog?" I was like, "What's a blog?" And the rest, as they say, is history!

It's almost laughable that I even mention anything about baseball considering that I normally write a NASCAR column. But hell, NASCAR - MLB - sounds the same to me!

Idiot of the Week
I'd invite you to write me as much hate mail as will fit in my inbox, but I'm too spineless to even LEAVE an email address, so just fill out that form on the right.

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :rolling: :rolling:

shoota
04-27-2005, 03:30 PM
How come the White Sox can never be evaluated on its own? Why must the Sox always be compared and contrasted to the Cubs?

For example, Mark Bechtel writes: "The Cubs have Wrigley, the Sox have a character-less barn."

At least he finds the space to rip on the team on the field, even if he is wrong: "And I don't buy this year's fast start. Their lineup just doesn't seem that good, and Ozzie Guillen looks like he needs to take a deep breath."

The White Sox are perennial contenders for their division, unlike the other four teams that he lists are BETTER teams to root for: LA Clippers; Atlanta Hawks; Tampa Bay Devil Rays--*****; and the Cleveland Browns.

Like others here have said before, since the Sox aren't the cute media pet, and they compete with a media pet in the Cubs, they'll always be looked down on for it. Tampa Bay Devil Rays? **** you Mark Bechtel.

Uncle_Patrick
04-27-2005, 03:34 PM
If Hawk Harrelson is a reason that the Sox are one of the worst teams to root for, what about the Cubs and Ron Santo?

Mark Bechtel = Tool

JoseCanseco6969
04-27-2005, 03:35 PM
I Am a Giant Douchebag!

Idiot of the Week

I wrote him an email saying, yes I nominate you for idiot of the week among other things.

Jerome
04-27-2005, 04:45 PM
Look at the pic of that douche. I defy you to look at him and not laugh.

Nellie_Fox
04-27-2005, 06:00 PM
Ozzie Guillen looks like he needs to take a deep breath.There's some insightful baseball reporting. What the heck does that mean?

Fenway
04-27-2005, 06:07 PM
Saying Hawk is a bigger homer than Michael Kay????

Put it this way. Radio Moscow was fair and balanced compared to

http://yesnetwork.com/images/global/header/yesnetwork.gif (http://yesnetwork.com/)

http://yesnetwork.com/images/talent/bio/kay.jpg

TommyJohn
04-27-2005, 06:36 PM
I am willing to wager he's a Cub fan, or Twin fan. Who else would come up with
this stuff?

Last week there was a thread of if the White Sox won the World Series, what
would change? My answer: NOTHING is going to change!! Do any of you
honestly think that the abuse that gets heaped on all things White Sox would
suddenly and magically stop?? Don't freakin' kid yourselves. The National Media will write "Big deal. The White Sox won the "who cares?" Series. America shrugs its shoulders and moves on. The poor Cubbies deserve it more" which would be newsspeak for "we're pissed that it wasn't the Cubs." The local media would grudingly accept it, until the first Cubbie move of the offseason puts them in a tither. Sorry to all those who think that the White Sox will get "respect" once they "earn" it, but that is never going to happen. Not with dorks like this dork being paid to write such mindless nonsense.

The Racehorse
04-28-2005, 06:28 AM
Mark Bechtel is another candidate for the "Sir, some moron has stolen your desktop password and is posting articles on the internet while using your name as author" type of email.

mccombe_35
04-28-2005, 10:47 AM
Just wanted to pass this along

:angry: :angry:

Max Power
04-28-2005, 10:48 AM
The Tribune put this SI column on the back page of the sports section today. Shocking.

Ron Karkovice
04-28-2005, 10:52 AM
Just wanted to pass this along

well, at least the dousche who wrote that article is ugly as hell.

LVSoxFan
04-28-2005, 10:54 AM
I saw this in the paper this morning and thought: how moronic.

First, because I've been a Sox fan for God knows how long, and who in the hell would pony up to thinking rooting for the Cubs was a worthwhile endeavor?!

Second, referring to the Cell as a sterile park is absurd. I love the park. I'll take it over Wrigley any day. True, Wrigley sits in the middle of a scenic North side neighborhood (I live over there), but it SUCKS.

I can't think of a better place to be on a sunny weekend then the Cell. Anybody who disses the park hasn't spent any time there.

The good news is: embrace this. Yet another example of how we're the red-headed stepchild of baseball. Under the radar. Hopefully we'll make everybody eat their words come September. Let the negative press flow, and flow...

white sox bill
04-28-2005, 10:57 AM
Boy are my feelings hurt!

Uncle_Patrick
04-28-2005, 10:58 AM
Dude, what's the score?

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=49007

Rocky Soprano
04-28-2005, 10:59 AM
:whocares

jabrch
04-28-2005, 11:03 AM
Who Mark Bechtel?

fledgedrallycap
04-28-2005, 11:08 AM
That was garbage and who cares? I find it funny his whole case against the Sox is a personal dislike for Hawk :?:

Hangar18
04-28-2005, 11:21 AM
The Tribune put this SI column on the back page of the sports section today. Shocking.

Complete GARBAGE. If this article was slamming the North Side Corporation,
you wouldnt see it on the back pages, no sirreeee. This is how the SOX
continue to NOT have a national following (at least according to the media)
and continue to NOT get respect. What a BS garbage trash article.

He gave some reasons for teams 5 thru 2, but for the SOX ......... he
says theyre the #1 hardest team to root for because of Ken Harrelson?
Ignoramus. Harrellson epitomizes the hard-core mentality of SOX fans.
He says the Cubs "had harry caray" ........ummmmmmmmmmm he was with
the SOX first you idiot. How much does anyone want to bet, this
was previously written by a cub fan high-school student from Iowa ........
and he just plagiarized it .............

Rocky Soprano
04-28-2005, 11:23 AM
Henry,

Why do you continue to let the media get under your skin?

**** THEM! We don't need them!

Be happy that the Sox are playing good baseball and that you know
a group of fellow Sox fans that are as crazy about the team as you.

GO SOX!

mccombe_35
04-28-2005, 11:25 AM
Dude, what's the score?

Oops, sorry. I thought I broke the story! lol

LVSoxFan
04-28-2005, 11:26 AM
"The Panther." LOL. Did Hawk really call him that?

Hangar18
04-28-2005, 11:27 AM
Henry,

Why do you continue to let the media get under your skin?

**** THEM! We don't need them!

Be happy that the Sox are playing good baseball and that you know
a group of fellow Sox fans that are as crazy about the team as you.

GO SOX!

Im becoming NUMB to this nonsense. I think what irks me so much,
is I was a writer in high school and in college, and the Chicago Media
have become soooooooooooooooooooooo darned PREDICTABLE the last
20 years or so. When the Cubs win, the Media goes crazy and quadruples
the attention. When the cubs lose, the MEdia goes crazy and doubles
the attention. When the SOX Win, the Media bashes them and ignores
them. Your right .......... F them.

tstrike2000
04-28-2005, 11:33 AM
Wow, I agree, I love going to U.S. Cellular Field for games. The article is the most pointless piece of garbage I've read in a while. He doesn't buy our fast start? I don't buy that this guy should be writing for anyone. This article should be on the top 5 list of the most useless pieces of garbage ever put out by S.I.

Uncle_Patrick
04-28-2005, 11:43 AM
Wow, I agree, I love going to U.S. Cellular Field for games.

Me, too. I don't buy this argument anymore that the Cell is somehow this sterile, hellish place. I'll admit that mistakes were made when the place was built, but there have been tons of improvements. I've gone there with Cubs fans and non-baseball fans, all who have enjoyed their time there. I even work with Cubs fans, die hard types, who will admit that "the Cell is not really bad at all, and the food is good."

I swear, people who write these criticism of the Cell don't ever go there, or haven't gone since 1991.

MIgrenade
04-28-2005, 11:45 AM
So the Sox are the worst team to root for because of the announcer...who Sox fans like? If we like him that makes it a good team to root for.

mdep524
04-28-2005, 11:45 AM
I know I shouldn't let the moronic media get to me, but man this just boils my blood. First of all, regardless of what teams were selected, this is the stupidest idea for a column that I have ever seen. What exactly is he trying to prove? If your team is listed in my top 5 you should feel like you're wasting your fandom? ***? What a stupid concept.

Second, those reasons he listed are so irrelevant, uniformed and random. So now we're judging fandoms based on incorrect ASSUMPTIONS about teams' announcers, stadiums? Anybody could write this kind of insight-less drivel.

1. Chicago Cubs
Rooting for the Cubs is like shooting fish in a barrel. Easily the sports world's most superficial and uninformed fans, being a Cubs fan means going along with the crowd and embracing loveable loserdom in all its glitz and phony, media-made glory. Since the Cubs took the names off the back of their jerseys, Wrigley fans are now as clueless about the players on the field as they are about the score of the game. The only real tally that matters is how many Old Style cups are on your lap. When your main attraction is an out-of-date stadium, the whole idea of a fan base is misguided and laughable.

The Racehorse
04-28-2005, 12:01 PM
Here's my email to whats-his-name...

Mark,

I read your take on the White Sox being the worst team in sports to root for. As a Sox fan, I was going to email you with tongue in cheek words of "hey, did you know some moron stole your desktop password and is posting articles on the internet while using your name as author?" until I realized your writing lacked any humor whatsoever.

If you cannot make your point without the use of humor, then I can write you a rebuttal email lacking humor.

My rebuttal… here it goes… “Mark, being the Cubs fan that you obviously are, I’m here to tell you Harry Caray died back in 1998, seven years ago. Where have you been?”

How did I do?

I'm sure I'll get ignored... oh well.

SoxSpeed22
04-28-2005, 12:08 PM
Who Mark Bechtel? I think we've done this to every idiot with an opinion. I suppose he has the BloSox as the best team to root for. Anyway, here are 10 teams worse
Blackhawks- :dollarbill: 'Nuff said
Arizona Cardinals
Atlanta Hawks
LA Clippers
Toronto Blue Jays
Golden State Warriors
Tampa Bay Devil Rays
New York Mets
Portland Trail Blazers
New Orleans Saints

Lip Man 1
04-28-2005, 12:43 PM
The Tribune story also had listed the e-mail address of the guy so that he could be contacted.

Lip

Baby Fisk
04-28-2005, 12:46 PM
So the Sox are the worst team to root for because of the announcer...who Sox fans like? If we like him that makes it a good team to root for.
Very good point. Not all Sox fans like the Hawk, but he makes broadcasts way more entertaining for Sox fans.

:hawk
"Mark Bechtel, you can grab some bench! Kiss my ass too!"

jabrch
04-28-2005, 12:53 PM
I think we've done this to every idiot with an opinion. I suppose he has the BloSox as the best team to root for. Anyway, here are 10 teams worse
Blackhawks- :dollarbill: 'Nuff said
Arizona Cardinals
Atlanta Hawks
LA Clippers
Toronto Blue Jays
Golden State Warriors
Tampa Bay Devil Rays
New York Mets
Portland Trail Blazers
New Orleans Saints

Well - most of the teams on your list make sense to me... I wouldn't put the Jays on that list - they have been a very good team during much of their 30 years in MLB, including 2 World Series wins.

I wouldn't put the Mets there either. They try.

And I surely wouldn't put the JailBlazers there. Over the past 20 years they have been one of the better Basketball franchises despite not winning a NBA Championship and having 2/3 of their players end up in orange jumpsuits.

As far as the Saints go, I'd avoid too much Saints bashing. No Superbowl, but a lot of great teams and great players certainly for much of the last 20 years.

That said, and I am obviously biased, I would say the Sox are the best team to root for...so I'd put them all behind us. However, objectively, the Jays, Mets and Blazers (and the Saints to a lesser extent) are all respectable FRANCHISES. The rest on your list - complete and utter crap.

BearSox
04-28-2005, 12:59 PM
I'd like to see Hawk give a shout out to Betchel in the next broadcast, mabye include him in picks to click or something.

Baby Fisk
04-28-2005, 01:08 PM
I think we've done this to every idiot with an opinion. I suppose he has the BloSox as the best team to root for. Anyway, here are 10 teams worse
Blackhawks- agreed
Arizona Cardinals - agreed
Atlanta Hawks ( I don't follow NBA)
Toronto Blue Jays - crappy stadium, currently crappy team, crappy uniforms, but a couple of World Series in living memory tends to ease the pain
Tampa Bay Devil Rays - WORST. TEAM. EVER.
New York Mets - Come on! Who doesn't love the Mets? Casey! 1969! Tommy Seaver! 1986! Mr. Met! Gimme some of that orange and blue! :redface:
New Orleans Saints - agreed (but New Orleans is nice) .

SOXSINCE'70
04-28-2005, 01:11 PM

White Sox baseball: We'll be here all year, we don't care,
and BRING IT ON,BEE-YOTCH!!

SOXSINCE'70
04-28-2005, 01:19 PM
Very good point. Not all Sox fans like the Hawk, but he makes broadcasts way more entertaining for Sox fans.

:hawk
"Mark Bechtel, you can grab some bench! Kiss my ass too!"

I'd also like to point out to this asswipe that the sCrUBS did not
always have Harry Caray,a fact that went by his Maggott-otti
"don't let facts get in the way of a good story" style of jornalism
(if you can call this garbage journalism).Caray spent 25 years with
the St.Louis Cardinals,1 unproductive year in Oakland and 10
memorable years on the South Side before defecting to the "Dark Side".

PatK
04-28-2005, 01:45 PM
I love the revisionist history when it comes to Harry Caray.

For one thing, he was a Sox announcer first, and started the whole "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" thing when with the Sox.

For another, the last time I checked, when he was alive and broadcasting he was considered a joke and a terrible announcer by EVERYONE outside of Chicago.

skobabe8
04-28-2005, 01:57 PM
Me, too. I don't buy this argument anymore that the Cell is somehow this sterile, hellish place. I'll admit that mistakes were made when the place was built, but there have been tons of improvements. I've gone there with Cubs fans and non-baseball fans, all who have enjoyed their time there. I even work with Cubs fans, die hard types, who will admit that "the Cell is not really bad at all, and the food is good."

I swear, people who write these criticism of the Cell don't ever go there, or haven't gone since 1991.

"Not that bad"? ha! Well i guess if anyone knows what "bad" actually is, it would be flub fans. The cell is a great place to go. Sometimes I get the urge to make the 30 minute drive there on off days just to see it. Its a few changes away here and there from being a fantastic park. People who badmouth it do so because they are sheep who follow the herd and read what everyone else who's never been there write about it. It is amazing to me how these idiots ignore the facts and say what they want--and its widely accepted!:angry:

Vestigio
04-28-2005, 01:59 PM
Can we nominate this guy as "Moron of the Month"? Or does that honor belong to Steve Phillips this month?

Iwritecode
04-28-2005, 03:05 PM
Hopefully we'll make everybody eat their words come September. Let the negative press flow, and flow...

This is the best line in this whole thread.

I'm not gonna say too much about the lack of respect the Sox have been getting so far. It's only April and they haven't won anything yet. But come late September if/when they are in the playoffs, I won't be holding back... :mad:

MUScholar21
04-28-2005, 04:37 PM
Let the whole world rip our Sox. Screw 'em. Just make sure we lock the doors when people start trying to throw themselves on the bandwagon. As we speak, I am writing down names, publications, web sites, etc. who refuse to acknowledge us. Red Sox Nation can kiss off. Cuck the Fubs on the North Side. I'd much rather be a competitive team year in and year out than be known as the "Lovable Losers." I can't wait until we are officially the bullies who are running around stealing everyone's lunch money. Then we'll listen to the Eastern Seaboard Promotional Network and Baseball Tonight telling us how Ozzie's a genius, we've been doing it this way all year, blah blah blah. After the Yankee's highlights of course.

Uncle_Patrick
04-28-2005, 05:54 PM
According to Dan MacNeil, the author of this article is an Indians fan. That might explain a lot.

SoxSpeed22
04-28-2005, 06:08 PM
According to Dan MacNeil, the author of this article is an Indians fan. That might explain a lot.I was wondering why only 1 Cleveland team was on it.

soxwon
04-28-2005, 06:40 PM
in sports illustrated- the sox worst team in ALL sports to root for!!!

SI.com - Writers - Mark Bechtel: Top five worst teams to root for - Wednesday (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writers/mark_bechtel/04/27/daily.blog/index.html)

1. The White Sox. (With apologies to SI p.r. guru Art Berke.) Though they haven't won the World Series since 1917 -- a drought almost as long as the Cubs' -- the Sox can't win for losing. The Cubs are lovable, the Sox are overlooked. . The Cubs have Wrigley, the Sox have a character-less barn. The Cubs had Harry Caray, the Sox have Ken Harrelson. (He makes the Yankees' Michael Kay look like the picture of dignity and restraint.) Put it on the boarrrrrrddddd ... YESSSSSSS! Grab some bench! Come on. Every White Sox out is a screamer, every opponent's hit is a bleeder with eyes. Ken, it's not radio. We can see it. And don't get me started on the nicknames. When Sammy Sosa was with the Sox, Harrelson called him "The Panther," for crying out loud. And I don't buy this year's fast start. Their lineup just doesn't seem that good, and Ozzie Guillen looks like he needs to take a deep breath (http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/sportsstory.asp?id=39473). Mitigating factor: Eight Men Out was a pretty good movie.

SoxSpeed22
04-28-2005, 06:45 PM

SI.com - Writers - Mark Bechtel: Top five worst teams to root for - Wednesday (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writers/mark_bechtel/04/27/daily.blog/index.html)

1. The White Sox. (With apologies to SI p.r. guru Art Berke.) Though they haven't won the World Series since 1917 -- a drought almost as long as the Cubs' -- the Sox can't win for losing. The Cubs are lovable, the Sox are overlooked. . The Cubs have Wrigley, the Sox have a character-less barn. The Cubs had Harry Caray, the Sox have Ken Harrelson. (He makes the Yankees' Michael Kay look like the picture of dignity and restraint.) Put it on the boarrrrrrddddd ... YESSSSSSS! Grab some bench! Come on. Every White Sox out is a screamer, every opponent's hit is a bleeder with eyes. Ken, it's not radio. We can see it. And don't get me started on the nicknames. When Sammy Sosa was with the Sox, Harrelson called him "The Panther," for crying out loud. And I don't buy this year's fast start. Their lineup just doesn't seem that good, and Ozzie Guillen looks like he needs to take a deep breath (http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/sportsstory.asp?id=39473). Mitigating factor: Eight Men Out was a pretty good movie.Too late.

batmanZoSo
04-28-2005, 06:45 PM

1. The White Sox. (With apologies to SI p.r. guru Art Berke.) Though they haven't won the World Series since 1917 -- a drought almost as long as the Cubs' -- the Sox can't win for losing. The Cubs are lovable, the Sox are overlooked. . The Cubs have Wrigley, the Sox have a character-less barn. The Cubs had Harry Caray, the Sox have Ken Harrelson. (He makes the Yankees' Michael Kay look like the picture of dignity and restraint.) Put it on the boarrrrrrddddd ... YESSSSSSS! Grab some bench! Come on. Every White Sox out is a screamer, every opponent's hit is a bleeder with eyes. Ken, it's not radio. We can see it. And don't get me started on the nicknames. When Sammy Sosa was with the Sox, Harrelson called him "The Panther," for crying out loud. And I don't buy this year's fast start. Their lineup just doesn't seem that good, and Ozzie Guillen looks like he needs to take a deep breath (http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/sportsstory.asp?id=39473). Mitigating factor: Eight Men Out was a pretty good movie.

Yeah, well...that's just like your opinion, man.

Spare me, moron. Your cubbie blue blood is practically spewing from your fingertips as you type that garbage.

MUScholar21
04-28-2005, 07:06 PM
The more I thought about it, the more aggravated I got. I ended up sending a message to this guy from SI.com, and even managed to refrain from swearing like crazy. This is what I sent:

Mark,
Have you ever heard of the Arizona Cardinals? The White Sox aren't even the worst team to be a fan of in CHICAGO (the Blackhawks are far and away worse-no home games on TV, no spending, etc etc etc). Have you ever even BEEN to US Cellular? Normally I would refrain from writing in or commenting, but it is asses like you that perpetuate this kind of crap and keep it going. Thank God I don't read your column on a regular basis, and only found out about it by fellow White Sox fans. While we may not have the best stadium, US Cellular is a lot of fun these days and has been great to be in since we got the All-Star game. If you ask around in this town, you will find that most Sox fans LOVE Hawk Harrelson. Even Cubs fans find Ron Santo to be a joke-comment on that next time. And the White Sox MADE Harry Caray's career-he just carried it over to Wrigley (a building, I will mention, that stinks like urine and stale beer even to Cubs fans). I hope SI seriously reconsiders letting you have your own column, you ignorant jackass.

pczarapa
04-28-2005, 08:25 PM
Sox the worst team to root for, by Mark Bechtel SI.com

This guy's an a## :angry:

Excerpt:
So what does that leave us? The top five worst teams to root for:

5. The Clippers. Not much to cheer about historically, and now that they're not the worst team in L.A., they aren't even a late night punch line any more. Mitigating factor: None of Leno's jokes making fun of them were funny anyway.

4. The Hawks. Atlanta sporting events aren't ususally electric -- I remember once when the Braves were on the NBC Game of the Week in the early '80s Joe Garagiola said of the crowd, "I've heard more talking when they're passing around the collection plate at church" -- but Hawks games are especially dead. Even if the Hawks gave you something to cheer for, how much fun would it be to go to 41 of their home games every year? Mitigating factor: Dan Roundfield was the man.

3. The Devil Rays. They'd have a shot at No. 1 if they weren't so young. Their past is miserable, but it's mercifully short. They play in a dump and, as discussed, the owner doesn't exactly inspire confidence (or goodwill). Mitigating factor: Having trouble thinking of one.

2. The Browns. The only thing that makes their seasons memorable now is when they lose a playoff game in spectacular fashion. Even when they snuck into the playoffs a few years back, the appearance was ruined by a horrible fourth-quarter meltdown against the Steelers that would be talked about a lot more if it hadn't been so expected. Quite simply, I feel like in every season of my entire life they've either gagged in the postseason in heartwrenching fashion or gone 5-11. Mitigating factor: Stadium mustard.

Shoeless Joe
04-28-2005, 09:13 PM
This guy just wants to make enemies with five fan bases for some reason. First of all the White Sox had Harry Caray when he actually made cohesive statements. He berates Hawk Harrelson about his announcing when the Cubs recently had Chip "Swung On Belted!...oh wait a minute it's just a ground out" Caray. And he's appalled by Ozzie Guillen because Magglio talked about him in a negative manner first. He obviously doesn't know who Ozzie Gullen is. And sure as heck doesn't know about the White Sox. But hey he got what he wanted right? He wanted some kind of reaction to his lame articles he usually puts up.

Mark Buehrle
04-28-2005, 09:19 PM
I would LOVE to find that guy in a dark alley some day...

JohnBasedowYoda
04-28-2005, 09:20 PM
i didn't know jay moronotti got a job at si

Wsoxmike59
04-28-2005, 09:23 PM
I emailed the guy (without knowing his email address) and told him he didn't know what he was talking about. I raised the same issue about Harry Caray that Sholess Joe so eloquently stated. We had Harry here 1st in this town, when he was STILL a good announcer.

Then I defended Hawk's catchphrases and nicknames. I told him when Sosa played for the Sox he was a slim quick OF'er who could really go and get the ball. Quick like a panther.

Then I scolded him telling him all his Sosa memories must've been after he moved on to the Cubs and became a "Flintstone Bitamins" user aka Steroid Eating Freak that the useless shill media tended to ignore all that, while these cheaters made assaults on the baseball record books which I hold so sacred.

I don't know if the email will go through, but I sure felt better after writing it. I took a guess and sent it to:

mbechtel@si.com

Don't know if that's correct or not.....but usually that's how the email domain names work. I hope he gets it! :D:

Viva Medias B's
04-28-2005, 09:26 PM
This guy is crap on a stick.

kevingrt
04-28-2005, 09:33 PM
Sox the worst team to root for, by Mark Bechtel SI.com

This guy's an a## :angry:

Excerpt:
So what does that leave us? The top five worst teams to root for:

5. The Clippers. Not much to cheer about historically, and now that they're not the worst team in L.A., they aren't even a late night punch line any more. Mitigating factor: None of Leno's jokes making fun of them were funny anyway.

4. The Hawks. Atlanta sporting events aren't ususally electric -- I remember once when the Braves were on the NBC Game of the Week in the early '80s Joe Garagiola said of the crowd, "I've heard more talking when they're passing around the collection plate at church" -- but Hawks games are especially dead. Even if the Hawks gave you something to cheer for, how much fun would it be to go to 41 of their home games every year? Mitigating factor: Dan Roundfield was the man.

3. The Devil Rays. They'd have a shot at No. 1 if they weren't so young. Their past is miserable, but it's mercifully short. They play in a dump and, as discussed, the owner doesn't exactly inspire confidence (or goodwill). Mitigating factor: Having trouble thinking of one.

2. The Browns. The only thing that makes their seasons memorable now is when they lose a playoff game in spectacular fashion. Even when they snuck into the playoffs a few years back, the appearance was ruined by a horrible fourth-quarter meltdown against the Steelers that would be talked about a lot more if it hadn't been so expected. Quite simply, I feel like in every season of my entire life they've either gagged in the postseason in heartwrenching fashion or gone 5-11. Mitigating factor: Stadium mustard.

What makes it funnier is that it was also put in the Cubune... very funny, I just laugh at this stuff now!

flo-B-flo
04-28-2005, 09:37 PM
Just another putz that will be eating his fair share of words

JohnBasedowYoda
04-28-2005, 09:37 PM
here's my reply to that joker, i kept it clean "The White Sox's stadium has more character than your "insightful" column. I guess one of the worst jobs to wish for has to be writing meaningless column's on some Blog page. When was the last time you were at a Sox game? Ever?"

zach074
04-28-2005, 10:09 PM
Am I the only one who expected SI to put us down after a great start?

Chisox003
04-28-2005, 10:17 PM
I think everyone who has read this B.S. should send this jackass an email....

Honestly, who does he think he is? Its one thing to rip the team, thats his right (I suppose...Even though he clearly has NO IDEA what this team is about), but to bring our ANNOUNCERS, fans, and all that other garbage into it was ridiculous...

Im going to email him now...Maybe he'll wrap his car around a light pole and never get to read it, but you can be sure it will include plenty of $#&$@&$*%' s

This only makes me want this team to win more....Go Sox!!!

S05X

Edit: Whats his email?

TornLabrum
04-28-2005, 10:26 PM
I think everyone who has read this B.S. should send this jackass an email....

Honestly, who does he think he is? Its one thing to rip the team, thats his right (I suppose...Even though he clearly has NO IDEA what this team is about), but to bring our ANNOUNCERS, fans, and all that other garbage into it was ridiculous...

Im going to email him now...Maybe he'll wrap his car around a light pole and never get to read it, but you can be sure it will include plenty of $#&$@&$*%' s

This only makes me want this team to win more....Go Sox!!!

S05X

Edit: Whats his email?

Since I'm armed with my own column here at WSI, I've gone one better. I've responded to his little hissy fit in my next column. (It usually appears on Sunday evening, but I've got three games in three days this weekend, so I wrote the column a couple of days early.)

Chisox003
04-28-2005, 10:34 PM
Since I'm armed with my own column here at WSI, I've gone one better. I've responded to his little hissy fit in my next column. (It usually appears on Sunday evening, but I've got three games in three days this weekend, so I wrote the column a couple of days early.)

Well I didnt know his email, but I put a nice little (long) response in that question box.

Hopefully he reads it, because obviously, other than writing really BAD articles, he has nothing better to do...

What a tool

S05X

SoxFan48
04-28-2005, 11:25 PM

The White Sox are according to Sports Illustrated's Mark Bechtel. Worse to root for than Devil Rays, the Hawks or the Clippers...that is pretty bad. Looks we have more grist for the collective "everyone is against us" complex on this board.

Lip Man 1
04-28-2005, 11:28 PM
S.I. will probably give him a raise (and no that should not be in teal.) They'll look at the number of responses, e-mail's and so forth from some of you and say 'he's doing a great job, obviously these folks read or heard about the story, that's JUST what we want.'

Just ignore it, if the Sox wind up winning something they'll get recognition. If they don't you'll party just the same celebrating won't you?

Lip

HebrewHammer
04-28-2005, 11:29 PM
This argument begins and ends with the Arizona Cardinals.

Toughest baseball team to root for? They've had some good years in the past, but I couldn't imagine being stuck with the Kansas City Royals for the past few years. They do have a great stadium and they got to watch Carlos Beltran, but other than that it's pretty bleak in KC.

Parrothead
04-28-2005, 11:35 PM

Toughest baseball team to root for? They've had some good years in the past, but I couldn't imagine being stuck with the Kansas City Royals for the past few years. They do have a great stadium and they got to watch Carlos Beltran, but other than that it's pretty bleak in KC.

At least KC has a couple of World Series under thier belts. I would say Tampa, Nationals or Texas for baseball.

Arizona or New Orleans in Football.

Hockey: No contest.....Blackhawks.

Basketball: Don't care but has to be the Clippers.

Huisj
04-28-2005, 11:45 PM

I've heard lots of people say how much the love Kauffman stadium. How is it so much better than the cell??? I love the cell.

I bet this bozo who wrote the article has never been to it since any of the rennovations. His reasons for why we're the worst team to root for are mostly pathetic. The Cubs had Harry Caray. Yeah, and so did the sox, buddy, only the Cubs didn't have the sense to notice that the guy had gone senile when they had him. What's the logic behind that anyway? The Cubs' old dead announcer was cool, so that makes the sox hard to root for because of their current announcer? Has he heard the morons the cubs have run out there the last few years? Chippy? Joe Carter???

please

paciorek1983
04-28-2005, 11:48 PM
It's true unfortunately. We are cursed by having the Cubs in the same town. In the past, I've always talked about how certain teams are "filler" teams on schedules--like the Arizona Cardinals, Golden State Warriors, not realizing that the Sox are a "filler" team as well.:(:

I don't agree with his view regarding our ballpark as characterless. But, he probably hasn't really paid attention to it over the last year or so. Again, our ballpark suffers in comparison to the Cubs---in some people's eyes.

The only thing to remedy the Sox current status is for them to consistently be in the WS or LCS. That would be our "identity".:smile:

popilius
04-28-2005, 11:50 PM
So the White Sox are the toughest team to root for because of Hawk Harrelson? Huh? :?:

I thought a better reason is that the Sox have had such good teams in the past that underachieve. That can be frustrating. . .

:gulp:

SluggersAway
04-28-2005, 11:52 PM
You are a little late. This has been posted already and has created quite a discussion (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=49007).

Hagan
04-28-2005, 11:56 PM
The man who wrote this was an idiot and a white sox hater obviously so I am not going to pay any attention to it. Come on, the DRays havent come close to .500 yet and they wont in a long while. Everyone hates their stadium to boot. Tampa Bay is the hardest team to root for.

Norberto7
04-28-2005, 11:59 PM
...the Sox have a character-less barn...

He has obviously confused U.S. Cellular with the last time he went to visit his wife.

chisoxfanatic
04-28-2005, 11:59 PM
It's true unfortunately. We are cursed by having the Cubs in the same town. In the past, I've always talked about how certain teams are "filler" teams on schedules--like the Arizona Cardinals, Golden State Warriors, not realizing that the Sox are a "filler" team as well.:(:

The difference between the Sox and the AZ Cardinals/GS Warriors is that the Sox at least put a competitive product on the field, meaning the game won't be a "yawner" to go to.

This guy sounds like a Cubs fan, because of his highly unimportant (and unintelligant) comments.

paciorek1983
04-29-2005, 12:08 AM
This guy sounds like a Cubs fan, because of his highly unimportant (and unintelligant) comments.

Yes, he sounds like a Cub fan, but really, isn't the rest of the world Cubs fans? But seriously, noone understands our pain. I'm sure most people can't understand our hatred of the Cubs anyway. For the rest of the world, there is only one baseball team in Chicago. It's hard for us to see that, but easy for everyone else. Therefore, yes, the Sox are the hardest team to root for. How can anyone root for something that doesn't seem to exist?

chisoxfanatic
04-29-2005, 12:13 AM
I'm sure most people can't understand our hatred of the Cubs anyway.

Agreed...And I can't stand those who think they do. My boyfriend is a Red Sox fan who lives in Canada, and he claims he "understands" and thinks it's stupid, because "the Sox only play the Cubs 6 times a year and aren't even in the same division." It bothers him that I go out of my way to induce mental pain on Cub fans and have a serious passion for hating on the Cubs. Blah blah blah!!!

skobabe8
04-29-2005, 12:34 AM

As Hawk would say...

"Thats a STRETCH."

Banix12
04-29-2005, 12:35 AM
I would say the Pittsburgh Pirates. They have a great stadium now but they have had a completely inept front office for the last decade.

Pirates poster boys are guys like Derek Bell who decided to go into "Operation Slowdown" after feeling he wasn't getting enough money and respect for hitting .170, so he took his $9 million and went home to his boat. Raul Mondesi, who showed up to ressurect his career, ditched the team, and showed up in Anaheim a month later. And Jason Kendall, the popular slap hitting, low power catcher given a contract that equaled a 1/3rd of the payroll. $11 million a year for a leadoff hitting catcher? Genius

You can't seem to get a group of players in Pittsburgh who actually want to be in Pittsburgh. At least there are guys who want to be in Tampa, sure they are Lou Pinella and Fred McGriff, but it's something.

MUsoxfan
04-29-2005, 12:47 AM
I do have real issues rooting for the Blackhawks (if they still exist). If there's any owner in sports who's funeral I hope is soon, I hope it's Wirtz's. I can't fathom a worse owner

HebrewHammer
04-29-2005, 12:51 AM
As Hawk would say...

"Thats a STRETCH."

Okay, might have gone too far with the great comment. It's at least above average.

jabrch
04-29-2005, 01:00 AM
Hey...What's the Score?

Wanne
04-29-2005, 04:07 AM
I live in Phoenix...and althought I'm a diehard Bears fan...I have no problem rooting for the Cardinals. Frustrating...yes...but ya still root for them. They have been pathetic...but ya know...with the last couple of drafts they've had...Denny Green is turning the corner with that team.

You want a hands-down toughest team to root for IMO...that's a no-brainer...how could you say anything but the Cubs?!?

DaleJRFan
04-29-2005, 02:50 PM
Ozzie Guillen has called out Frank Thomas and Magglio Ordonez. The White Sox have used Jermaine Dye at short and a closer-by-committee. Oh yeah, they're in first place at 16-6. Precisely why they're a sinking ship

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=neel/050428

What did the Sox do to deserve such an amount of repeated disrespect? I am used to having to defend my team on a seemingly daily basis, but it is getting ridiculous now.

:dtroll:

balke
04-29-2005, 02:51 PM
Hahaha!

VivaOzzie
04-29-2005, 02:55 PM
My friend has been telling me for the past 2 weeks that I'm "going down with the ship." This crap is ridiculous. I don't know what the media's vendetta is against the Sox. They say our pitching staff sucks after Buehrle?? First off, our bullpen is one of the deepest in the league. Secondly, I seem to remember ESPN jocking the hell out of Freddy Garcia when he was with Seattle. So now that hes on the Sox, hes no good?? These idiots don't deserve their paychecks.

halfpricemonday
04-29-2005, 02:58 PM
We're almost getting to the point where we need a "We Don't Care" board, just to collect all the doubters who look our record and our lineup and can't figure out how we're doing it. I saw this yesterday and was thinking about posting about it, but what's the point? The doubters don't read the boards, I don't care what all the skeptics think, and I've got a winning baseball team to follow.

Kenny Williams has given me the gift of apathy this season. All the energy I'd use to rant and rave about the national (and local) media, I'm reserving for cheering on our Sox.

skobabe8
04-29-2005, 03:03 PM
Okay, might have gone too far with the great comment. It's at least above average.

No argument with that one. :smile:

DaleJRFan
04-29-2005, 03:05 PM
Kenny Williams has given me the gift of apathy this season. All the energy I'd use to rant and rave about the national (and local) media, I'm reserving for cheering on our Sox.

I totally agree with you, but there comes a point where you say enough is enough. It's like someone calling your mom a nasty name for no reason. It blows.

:angry:

ZachAL
04-29-2005, 03:06 PM
We have become the Rodney Dangerfield of baseball. But as long as we're winning who cares what these tools have to say.

tstrike2000
04-29-2005, 03:07 PM
Nough's been said about incompetant sports writers. Yeah, well, I think the Sox ship is comparable to the Pilgrim's Mayflower or Columbus' Nina, Pinta, and the Santa Maria. Yeah, there was some problems on those ships with weathering storms, battling health issues, etc. But you know what? Each of those ships made it to the New World and our New World will be the playoffs come October. As for the doubters, that's fine with us. We'll just keep playing under that radar.

tlebar318
04-29-2005, 03:10 PM
My friend has been telling me for the past 2 weeks that I'm "going down with the ship." This crap is ridiculous. I don't know what the media's vendetta is against the Sox. They say our pitching staff sucks after Buehrle?? First off, our bullpen is one of the deepest in the league. Secondly, I seem to remember ESPN jocking the hell out of Freddy Garcia when he was with Seattle. So now that hes on the Sox, hes no good?? These idiots don't deserve their paychecks.

Going down with the ship? I hated that movie the Titantic!:D:
We will be fine--screw the nay-sayers because at the end of September they will be eating crow and I will be enjoying a cold one watching game one of the playoffs WITH the Sox! :D:

faneidde
04-29-2005, 03:59 PM
That jerk put the O/U on the Sox at 79, where can I get some of that action?

Hangar18
04-29-2005, 04:55 PM
The Chicago and National Media are PISSED OFF.
The cubs are supposed to be 16-6 and marching to the World Series.
The SOX are ruining everything, forcing them to rewrite stories and
rework coverage. theyre pissed people, and its showing .........
if the cubs were 16-6, would this be happening to them? NOPE

ClaudelSleptHere
05-01-2005, 11:03 AM
Five worst baseball-related jobs:

5: Makeup man for Skip Bayless and Peter Gammons (Rico from Six Feet Under would have a challenge making these corpses look alive)

4. Interpreter for Stuart Scott (What did he say?)

3. Cub TV announcer (no criticism or opinions please...just stick to the script)

2. Hair stylist for Jeff Brantley (I said get me more grease!!!)

1. Blog writer for Sports Illustrated (no explanation needed)

Wsoxmike59
05-01-2005, 11:33 AM
Five worst baseball-related jobs:

5: Makeup man for Skip Bayless and Peter Gammons (Rico from Six Feet Under would have a challenge making these corpses look alive)

4. Interpreter for Stuart Scott (What did he say?)

3. Cub TV announcer (no criticism or opinions please...just stick to the script)

2. Hair stylist for Jeff Brantley (I said get me more grease!!!)

1. Blog writer for Sports Illustrated (no explanation needed)

LOL!!! It's posts like these that make me glad I visit these boards. We've got to have the most clever and quick witted posters of any message board around. Good job ClaudellSleptHere!

As for Mark Rechtal of SI. I have a feeling I know where you pulled that column from. :dtroll:

mdep524
05-01-2005, 01:47 PM
We have become the Rodney Dangerfield of baseball. But as long as we're winning who cares what these tools have to say. http://www.jim.aquino.com/images/simpsons-rodney.jpg
I don't get no regard, no regard at all... No esteem neither.