PDA

View Full Version : Ozzie-less firey than Manuel

hawkjt
04-27-2005, 01:54 PM
Ozzies fire is all pre-game and post-game cuz in the dugout he is less animated than manuel. Was he awake last nite as the umps were ripping this game away from the sox?

I really thought oz would be too firey out on the field and he has surprised me by being too passive. Is he afraid of the umps? When Damaso and Carl and Chris are clearly upset and could be on the verge of getting kicked out shouldn't oz at least stand up in the dugout?

He has not stirred all year when calls were bad. NOt good.

If he had given that fat POS Froemming a piece of his mind on the home plate bad call maybe we get the call with Aaron at the plate and wild pitch and Paulie scores. Work the umps a little oz.

soltrain21
04-27-2005, 01:55 PM
Ozzies fire is all pre-game and post-game cuz in the dugout he is less animated than manuel. Was he awake last nite as the umps were ripping this game away from the sox?

I really thought oz would be too firey out on the field and he has surprised me by being too passive. Is he afraid of the umps? When Damaso and Carl and Chris are clearly upset and could be on the verge of getting kicked out shouldn't oz at least stand up in the dugout?

He has not stirred all year when calls were bad. NOt good.

If he had given that fat POS Froemming a piece of his mind on the home plate bad call maybe we get the call with Aaron at the plate and wild pitch and Paulie scores. Work the umps a little oz.

Um, if we get the "drop 3rd strike" call it wouldn't have mattered. Rowand didn't run, he just stood there.

Brian26
04-27-2005, 01:58 PM
What was PAINFULLY obvious from watching the game last night on tv after the balk call was that Ozzie wasn't paying attention to what happened and didn't have a clue as to what the call was for. His ass should have been out there to at least ASK the umpire what the call was about, especially since Marte was so animated in his response to the call. I assume everyone saw what I saw: Ozzie looked over to Greg Walker and was talking to him, and Walker was giving him his opinion. In my world, Greg Walker is about 4th on the chain of command when it comes to advice about a balk call. Where was Cooper or the bench coach in this situation? Even Cora. Ozzie should have been all over this. That's a BS call when a runner is on third in a one run game, and Ozzie should have made his presense felt. You don't let the umpires take the game away from you like that, and if they choose to, you have to go out there and make a statement for next time.

balke
04-27-2005, 02:01 PM
Perhaps he's laying low due to his recent criticism over the Magglio incident? I would've liked something said about the balk. Also, Marte got squeezed a bit that inning.

Brian26
Um, if we get the "drop 3rd strike" call it wouldn't have mattered. Rowand didn't run, he just stood there.

I was thinking about this last night. When the ball first shot away, I don't think Rowand knew how far it had gone. If Rowand starts running, he's committing himself to a play at first, and maybe he thought the ball didn't get far away enough for him to make it safely. I admit it was a calculated risk.

Fake Chet Lemon
A lot of that manager "fire" is staged. Their team has been struggling, so they go out there to fire things up. I agree with Ozzie, when you playing around .800 ball it's unnecessary for the most part. Save it and pull it out when you need it, like when the team drops 5 of 6 and they are flat. People think Ozzie isn't the sharpest guy, but I think he's dumb like a fox. His baseball IQ, more importantly his baseball learning curve is high.

Brian26
04-27-2005, 02:02 PM
Perhaps he's laying low due to his recent criticism over the Magglio incident? I would've liked something said about the balk. Also, Marte got squeezed a bit that inning.

I thought the balls and strikes were called ok, but the balk call was BS. That's also the 2nd time that's been called on us this year with a runner on third.

Brian26
04-27-2005, 02:04 PM
I agree with Ozzie, when you playing around .800 ball it's unnecessary for the most part. Save it and pull it out when you need it, like when the team drops 5 of 6 and they are flat.

I disagree. If someone wrongs you, you need to make a statement, whether you've won 8 games in a row or lost 8 games in a row. There's no saving anything for next time. The statement doesn't necessarily have to be for your players...it can be for the umps too. The umps absolutely walked all over us last night, and not a word was uttered about it.

And we haven't even touched on the fact that we had 4 guys drilled last night.

Fake Chet Lemon
04-27-2005, 02:11 PM
I disagree. If someone wrongs you, you need to make a statement, whether you've won 8 games in a row or lost 8 games in a row. There's no saving anything for next time. The statement doesn't necessarily have to be for your players...it can be for the umps too. The umps absolutely walked all over us last night, and not a word was uttered about it.

And we haven't even touched on the fact that we had 4 guys drilled last night.

When an umpire is making a split second call, I don't think they are contemplating the wrath of Ozzie while making that call. I think a managers ability to intimidate an umpire is completely over-rated. But I guess I can't disagree with you when you say you can't let someone wrong you and let them get away with it. Good point.

elrod
04-27-2005, 02:23 PM
I was thinking about this last night. When the ball first shot away, I don't think Rowand knew how far it had gone. If Rowand starts running, he's committing himself to a play at first, and maybe he thought the ball didn't get far away enough for him to make it safely. I admit it was a calculated risk.

That's the job of the on-deck hitter to tell the hitter to run to first on a dropped third strike. I think Rowand knew that he fouled it off and couldn't believe there was any controversy about it.

Brian26
04-27-2005, 02:26 PM
I think Rowand knew that he fouled it off and couldn't believe there was any controversy about it.

Even though the ball never hit his bat. :D:

Dibbs
What was PAINFULLY obvious from watching the game last night on tv after the balk call was that Ozzie wasn't paying attention to what happened and didn't have a clue as to what the call was for. His ass should have been out there to at least ASK the umpire what the call was about, especially since Marte was so animated in his response to the call. I assume everyone saw what I saw: Ozzie looked over to Greg Walker and was talking to him, and Walker was giving him his opinion. In my world, Greg Walker is about 4th on the chain of command when it comes to advice about a balk call. Where was Cooper or the bench coach in this situation? Even Cora. Ozzie should have been all over this. That's a BS call when a runner is on third in a one run game, and Ozzie should have made his presense felt. You don't let the umpires take the game away from you like that, and if they choose to, you have to go out there and make a statement for next time.

Brian, you are dead on with everything you just said. I thought I saw Ozzie saying to Walker, "I didn't see it." I was pretty upset by this...hoping Ozzie would give the ump a run for his money. What a crazy game last night.

Rocklive99
I was also disturbed when he didn't come out once, and then when he came for a pitching change while his team was in disarray, he came out laughing with all smiles.

Am I missing something on the Rowand situation (I had the volume low while writing a paper), or wasn't that a foul tip and then he struck out looking on the next pitch (it didn't look like a tip on the replay, but that's what I thought was called)

Nellie_Fox
04-27-2005, 06:11 PM
Why did Ozzie just get tossed from this game, speaking of arguing? I'm getting the MLB gamecast, and it doesn't say.

NUCatsFan
04-27-2005, 06:12 PM
Why did Ozzie just get tossed from this game, speaking of arguing? I'm getting the MLB gamecast, and it doesn't say.

Arguing a questionable call by the umps. Crede was hit by pitch and the ump made him stay in the batters box. Crede ended up being tossed, too.

eriqjaffe
04-27-2005, 06:13 PM
Two words: Hunter Wendlestedt.

Crede was HBP, but Wendy called him back, claiming he didn't try to get out of the way. This after all the HPBs yesterday. Ozzie came out to argue, and he got kicked out. I'm sure their history had something to do with it...

batmanZoSo
04-27-2005, 07:03 PM

This post ends the discussion IMO.