PDA

View Full Version : Mid-season help???

Qdaddy
04-27-2005, 11:34 AM
Hey Guys,

Just wondering if all is going well for us going up to the break. What Position do we try and upgrade? Isn't everyone pretty happy with the positional players? I don't think Dye will be this bad all year and if he is then we can use Crazy Carl in RF and DH Frank, not that frank will be doing anything else. I would say the bullpen, but they have been lights out this year.
What do you guys think?? What would you upgrade or trade for? Kinda hard question. That's a good thing of course.

GO JAPSOX! 2005.:smile:

Tekijawa
04-27-2005, 11:38 AM
We'll do nothing... we're a year ahead of schedule!

batmanZoSo
04-27-2005, 11:43 AM
Hey Guys,

Just wondering if all is going well for us going up to the break. What Position do we try and upgrade? Isn't everyone pretty happy with the positional players? I don't think Dye will be this bad all year and if he is then we can use Crazy Carl in RF and DH Frank, not that frank will be doing anything else. I would say the bullpen, but they have been lights out this year.
What do you guys think?? What would you upgrade or trade for? Kinda hard question. That's a good thing of course.

GO JAPSOX! 2005.:smile:

I would still say bullpen. Cotts is the weakest link, we can and should do better if possible. Or maybe someone gets hurt by then or falls of the map and sucks.

As for position players, it's really hard to say. I don't think there's anything to do there. Right field possibly, but we have two already in Dye and Everett, plus we have Sweeney for the future, plus Anderson in center, which would move Rowand to right. So acquiring a big time right fielder in a trade wouldn't make much sense.

I definitely want another stud setup man or maybe even a closer. And I'd also like a backup middle infielder and to wave Harris goodbye.

DaleJRFan
04-27-2005, 11:45 AM
This all depends on if guys pick it up. Will Konerko hit better than 245, not strike out 3 times a game and leave 5 runners on base? Will Jermaine Dye not drop pop ups and miss the cut off man? (Granted I am still miffed about game 2 in Oakland, but he's done it more than twice) Can Jose Contreras throw more than 5 innings without walking 15 batters over 120 pitches? If the team plays like this into the break, a lot will change. They are winning and finding ways to win games they shouldn't be winning, and haven't over the past 4 or 5 seasons. Imagine adding some nice pieces at the break... a big bat if Thomas can't make an impact when he comes back, maybe an outfielder like Aubrey Huff or ... maybe another lefthanded bullpen arm like Mike Gonzalez... A lot has to happen before we can address team needs...

The BIGTIME team need right now is for some guys earning 3, 4 and even 8 million a year, to play like they deserve it.

JoseCanseco6969
04-27-2005, 11:47 AM
I say SS depth and a Lefty RP to replace Cotts. This is saying we have no major injuries by that time.

PaleHoseGeorge
04-27-2005, 11:47 AM
We'll do nothing... we're a year ahead of schedule!

OUCH! Good one!
:redface:

If there was anything about the 2000 Sox that made them a "fluke," it was the fairytale mentality of Ron Schueler and others in the Sox front office that the team was too perfect to improve. Our future was assured...
:o:

Either you're trying to improve your team or you play for second place waiting for somebody to blow right past you. See "Twins, Minnesota."

:iron
"Lead, follow, or get out the way!"

Ol' No. 2
04-27-2005, 12:14 PM
It's way too soon for this. No one knows where the weak links are going to be. All you're going to get is the usual litany of everyone's favorite whipping boys.

soxtalker
04-27-2005, 12:20 PM
It's way too soon for this. No one knows where the weak links are going to be. All you're going to get is the usual litany of everyone's favorite whipping boys.

Also depends a bit on which teams are sellers and what's available for what price. We've got a long way to go.

voodoochile
04-27-2005, 12:23 PM
More big bats. What that means I cannot answer at present, but the Sox need more offense, IMO. The pitching seems pretty solid at present. Maybe another leftie reliever, but the offense depends on Frank coming back strong and Dye picking it up. If both of those fail to happen in a timely fashion, they should be looking for a RF with a big bat to shore up the offense.

JB98
04-27-2005, 12:24 PM

I don't know about that. It's a legitimate question, although I think we need to see the team play about two months worth of games before we can make a firm judgement.

I agree with other posters who have brought up the bullpen. You can never have enough quality relief pitchers. That's how Anaheim won it all in 2002. Great relief pitching and timely hitting.

I'm not certain Ozuna can handle the utility role. Offensively, I think he's fine, but he's an adventure in the field. Above all else, we need solid defense from the person who fills that role.

I also have a sneaking suspicion we'll be shopping for another bat at the trade deadline. I'm not sure who, or at what position just yet, but I don't think we have as much firepower as some of the other AL clubs that are expected to contend.

PaleHoseGeorge
04-27-2005, 12:24 PM

Of course it is too early. The trick is to make your moves before it is too late. Historically the Sox have been far more guilty of doing too little too late, than too much too soon.
:cool:

:schueler
"This 1993 Sox team is just the beginning of a new winning dynasty."
"Not only are the 2000 Sox a great team built for the future, we've arrived a year ahead of schedule!"

Frater Perdurabo
04-27-2005, 12:27 PM
Of course it is too early. The trick is to make your moves before it is too late. Historically the Sox have been far more guilty of doing too little too late, than too much too soon.

Would a white flag surrender be "too little, too late," or "too much, too soon?"

Will Detroit have a power-hitting RF available at the deadline?

Power will only be needed if Frank can't come back at all, or if Konerko or Everett get hurt. When Frank comes back, the offense should be fine.

Instead of a "bullpen pitcher," I'm greedy and want a power-armed lefty starter. That moves the worst starter to long relief, improving the rotation and the bullpen at the same time.

voodoochile
04-27-2005, 12:28 PM
:cool:

KW has reversed that trend in recent years, getting Alomar and Everett early in 2003 when the team was still in the hunt and Going and getting Garcia last year.

I trust he won't wait until the bidding is outrageous and then make a move out of desperation, and I also trust that he is ALWAYS looking to upgrade the team...

PaleHoseGeorge
04-27-2005, 12:28 PM
Would a white flag surrender be "too little, too late," or "too much, too soon?"

That would be "too stupid." Period.

:wink:

JB98
04-27-2005, 12:34 PM

Will Detroit have a power-hitting RF available at the deadline?

Power will only be needed if Frank can't come back at all, or if Konerko or Everett get hurt. When Frank comes back, the offense should be fine.

Instead of a "bullpen pitcher," I'm greedy and want a power-armed lefty starter. That moves the worst starter to long relief, improving the rotation and the bullpen at the same time.

Good luck with that. On paper, that's a good line of thinking. But in practice, there just aren't a lot of power-armed lefty starters on the market. Unless you think the Yankees are going to fall out of contention and trade us RJ for prospects.

balke
04-27-2005, 12:52 PM
Our "worst starter" probably wouldn't be a fit in the bullpen anyhow. The starters that have problems are the ones that can't control their fastballs. 9th inning walks for a closer would be bad. I like our rotation as it is.

Fake Chet Lemon
04-27-2005, 01:07 PM
Middle infielder without question. If Uribe or Iguchi go down for the season I'd be plenty nervous.

Flight #24
04-27-2005, 01:13 PM
Killing time while waiting for the game to start....here's a partial list of '05 FAs (i.e. guys who might be traded): http://cbs.sportsline.com/mlb/fantasy/story/8355861
Key names that might be available and interest the Sox:

Wagner - will be expensive, but would really strengthen the 'pen as closer, moving Shingo to MR
Dotel, Urbina - also expensive, less return since they'll best fit in middle relief
Preston Wilson - could provide a nice pop in RF, wouldn't be expensive if we can add $$$

Sosa - Highly unlikely, but could be an intriguing name to add if he's still showing good power. But I don't see that org taking that chance with the fan base

AJ Burnett, Brad Penny - longshots since their teams figure to centend and they'll be expensive, but fit KW's "upgrade with top-line pitching" mantra

Honestly, there aren't that many guys that are good fits. There are a bunch of other guys like Piazza, Walker, Damon, etc but they all play for teams that aren't likely to be far enough out to dump them. And there aren't many top-line pitchers available, most are of the Tony Armas/Kenny Rogers ilk that make you say "meh".

balke
04-27-2005, 01:19 PM
All those teams look like contenders right now. We wouldn't take Sosa in a million years I'd hope, if for anything his Defense.

Preston Wilson is a possibility, but I'd hope for a "real move" out in right when/if the time comes. Preston hasn't done too well so far this season, and has had a string of injuries.

The Cards are in first, but if they somehow fall, they'll probably want to dump Jim Edmonds. This stuff is so far away, and may not even be necessary by the time midseason rolls around. This thread is kinda fluff.

hold2dibber
04-27-2005, 10:44 PM
Power arm in the bullpen - if the A's are out of it, I'd love to see the Sox trade for Dotel.

I'd also like to see a left handed hitter with some pop off the bench - someone like Matt Stairs. Timo doesn't do much for me.

balke
04-27-2005, 10:55 PM
If Matt Stairs is ever a White Sox player in any form, I'll quickly stop going to games. I say go big midseason, unless there's need for depth and nothing else. I'm sure some position will be in need of a better starter.

The Wimperoo
04-27-2005, 11:08 PM
Backup SS/3B is the most pressing need for position players. Bullpen help would also be nice.

Placido Polanco would look good in a Sox uniform

batmanZoSo
04-27-2005, 11:42 PM
More big bats. What that means I cannot answer at present, but the Sox need more offense, IMO. The pitching seems pretty solid at present. Maybe another leftie reliever, but the offense depends on Frank coming back strong and Dye picking it up. If both of those fail to happen in a timely fashion, they should be looking for a RF with a big bat to shore up the offense.

But then we have two DH's and Dye on the bench. We need Dye to perform, that's for sure. I agree that we need more offense, but it has to come from Frank and the residual effects he brings to the team. And a breakout year or two wouldn't hurt. We're certainly due. Maybe it'll be Crede.

hold2dibber
04-28-2005, 07:44 AM
If Matt Stairs is ever a White Sox player in any form, I'll quickly stop going to games. I say go big midseason, unless there's need for depth and nothing else. I'm sure some position will be in need of a better starter.

What do you have against Stairs? The guy is a consistent productive major league hitter, who typically hits between 15-20 homers with an OPS over .800 despite limited playing time. Check out his career stats (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/stats?statsId=4848). He also kills right handed pitching and has been particularly good against the Tribe and the Twinkies (splits (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/splits3?statsId=4848&type=batting)). He's a better hitter than Gload or Timo, IMHO.