PDA

View Full Version : *Official* Frank Thomas Watch

Frater Perdurabo
04-27-2005, 10:09 AM
Despite the improved offense in Game 2 v. Oakland last night, I am convinced the Sox lineup needs Frank Thomas back in the #3 hole. The offense will remain inconsistent and unreliable until he returns.

The benefits of his return will cascade up and down the lineup. Frank will take his walks (his eye wasn't injured), increasing the number of runners on base. As a result, Podsednik and Iguchi will see more fastballs. Frank frequently will bat with men on base. He will see more fastballs and will drive mistakes into the left field seats. When he walks, singles or doubles, Konerko and Everett/Dye will see more good pitches to hit. With Konerko and Everett/Dye on base more, Rowand, AJ/Widger, Crede and Uribe will see more good pitches. They will chase opposing pitchers earlier in games and will give Sox starters early leads.

Frank has been such an integral part of the White Sox for 15 years. Also, unless I am mistaken, other than owners Frank is the longest-tenured active Chicago sports icon in any sport. Yet neither Chicago paper has a "Frank Thomas Watch."

So, can we have an official thread stuck to the top of the clubhouse in which we can report, share and read the latest news on when Frank might return?

I come here for the latest Frank news; I'm sure there are others (particularly those who can't listen to Chicago sportsblab radio or watch Chicago sports TV) who rely on WSI for the info.

Thanks in advance!

Bobbo35
04-27-2005, 10:14 AM
Thats a great idea.

Baby Fisk
04-27-2005, 10:14 AM
Never have I wanted to see a White Sox batter take a long, patient, 10-pitch base on balls more than now. I second the motion for a Frank Thomas Sticky! Come back soon, big guy!

:threadrules:

RKMeibalane
04-27-2005, 10:24 AM
The most recent reports suggest that it may be awhile yet before Frank is ready to return, as the tendonitis is still bothering him. I think the Sox medical staff wants Thomas to be completely pain-free before they let him play again, but honestly, I don't think that's a realistic option. I get the impression that Frank's ankle will take several more weeks, perhaps months, before it is completely healed (i.e. the pain is gone).

I want to see Frank healthy as much as anyone, but I'm beginning to think that he may just have to go out there and play through the pain. Thomas himself said that hitting is not the problem for him, but rather, running the bases is. Were I in Ozzie Guillen's shoes, I would be willing to allow Frank back in the lineup, in spite of his not being able to run at full speed consistently. After all, he doesn't need to run if he hits a ball into the left field seats. :cool:

Furthermore, I have seen several athetes compete when they should never have been anywhere near a sports facility. I can vividly remember a former NBA player who took as many as eight medications per day and did all sorts of exercises in order to prepare himself for each game. He should not have been playing, but he did.

Alonzo Mourning could potentially endanger his life by playing basketball, and he's out there every night. Jermaine O'Neal is playing through pain, etc.

I don't mean to be overly critical of Frank or the Sox medical staff, but I think they're chasing a pipe dream if they want Frank to be pain-free this season. It's going to take time for the tendonitis to cease being a problem. As long as Frank can still hit, I don't see why he shouldn't be out there. The stress fracture in his ankle has healed. I think Herm Schneider needs to take off the kid-glove and let Frank get back out there. It's obvious he wants to start playing again. Why not let him?

Flight #24
04-27-2005, 10:27 AM
Never have I wanted to see a White Sox batter take a long, patient, 10-pitch base on balls more than now. I second the motion for a Frank Thomas Sticky! Come back soon, big guy!

What are you talking about? We already HAVE Chris Widger!! (great AB last night v. Harden!)

Tekijawa
04-27-2005, 10:35 AM
I'm just glad he isn't suffering from one of those season ending "sports hernias" that Magglio has!

jackbrohamer
04-27-2005, 10:45 AM
Is there any date set for him to start geting minor league at-bats?

balke
04-27-2005, 10:59 AM
Last night our 9th inning batting order was Crede, Widger, Harris. We couldn't sub in Gload, cause he didn't play those positions :(:.

I would love to have Frank back. I thought this offseason he wouldn't be back til the All-Star break, or mid June. I thought I was just prepping myself for the worst, apparently the worst has happened.

daveeym
04-27-2005, 11:09 AM
I'm sorry but :threadsucks

Thomas is questionable at best and I'll get excited when he's on the field. I'm not an enternal pessimist as some on this board but I'm excited about the team on the field and that they can win NOW. I'd love a healthy Frank back but that's highly questionable now. You say he didn't hurt his eye, but if he can't hit because he's playing on a bum wheel that eye won't help much. We have one of our best offensive outputs of the season last night and we hear how frank's a necessity because we lost. Funny but I thought umps, pitching and DEFENSE had more to do with the loss than the offense. I'm not pissing on Frank here, I'm pissing on this thread and general knee jerk reactions that happen because of a bad game.

Oh an by the way if frank is out for an extended time or all year, we can see if the Ewing effect take place.

Frater Perdurabo
04-27-2005, 11:34 AM
Funny but I thought umps, pitching and DEFENSE had more to do with the loss than the offense. I'm not pissing on Frank here, I'm pissing on this thread and general knee jerk reactions that happen because of a bad game.

This thread was not a knee jerk. In fact, if anything the offense kept the Sox in the game last night. If you'll read the post carefully, you will see that I made that perfectly clear in the first sentence. If anything, it's a reaction to the fact that Sox pitching has carried the team through their great start.

Thomas is questionable at best and I'll get excited when he's on the field. I'm not an enternal pessimist as some on this board but I'm excited about the team on the field and that they can win NOW. I'd love a healthy Frank back but that's highly questionable now. You say he didn't hurt his eye, but if he can't hit because he's playing on a bum wheel that eye won't help much. We have one of our best offensive outputs of the season last night and we hear how frank's a necessity because we lost.

I've heard from multiple sources that Frank can hit just fine, he just can't run very well. As RKMeibalane said,

After all, he doesn't need to run if he hits a ball into the left field seats.

Frank is not needed because the Sox lost last night, but rather because he's what makes the Sox offense go. The offense will never be consistently productive or reliable until he returns to the lineup and returns to form. (He can't return to form unless he returns to the lineup, though!)

24thStFan
04-27-2005, 11:36 AM
I come here for the latest Frank news; I'm sure there are others (particularly those who can't listen to Chicago sportsblab radio or watch Chicago sports TV) who rely on WSI for the info.

I'm one of those who rely on WSI for my Sox fix. It would be nice to have a Frank Watch here.

Chicago83
04-27-2005, 02:03 PM
I can't wait for Frank. If our pitchers can keep doing what they are doing now and we get Frank back in our lineup, then watch out. When I see Frank back and slugging I will believe in this team as a true contender.

Baby Fisk
04-28-2005, 10:56 AM
An update on the big guy (somewhat vague) in today's Cub-Times. linky (http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-ssep28.html)

hold2dibber
04-28-2005, 01:50 PM
An update on the big guy (somewhat vague) in today's Cub-Times. linky (http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-ssep28.html)

Not very optimistic. Thomas in the middle of the line-up changes everything and cures several problems the Sox offense has been facing this year (lack of OBP, failure to work counts, power, depth, middle of the line-up pop, etc.)

lowesox
04-28-2005, 01:55 PM
I'd love to have Frank back in a hurry, but I wonder how he'll affect what seems to be very good chemistry.