PDA

View Full Version : Tomorrow will illustrate this Sox team!!

GiveMeSox
04-27-2005, 02:05 AM
Man tonite was jsut one of those fluky random event type games where you just disgustingly lose after being in the drivers seat for so long. There is nothing you can do about it, it happends to all teams at least a few times a year. The point is tomorrows game will really dictate to everyone what kind of team the sox really are. If we come out and play hard and bounce back we are for real. THe good teams dont let something like tonite drag them down. Freddy needs to step up as a veteran and shut the door tomorrow. Even if we are a little banged up as I expect uribe to miss a week or two we still need to play on all cylinders tomorrow and puck up right where we left off. If we do so then I think we should all pack the cell this weekend.

ChiWhiteSox1337
04-27-2005, 02:19 AM
I know these types of cliches are thrown around regularly in baseball, but this time it's actually true. I know they're 16-5, but this is a new team so it should be interesting to see how the team plays tomorrow. Historically over the past few seasons the Sox have had nightmares in Oakland, but this is an entirely different team and it would be huge if they could win later today and go 2-1 vs the A's. The Sox have won every game following a loss so far this season, so I hope they can continue that streak later today in Oakland.

Cowch44
04-27-2005, 02:24 AM
I know these types of cliches are thrown around regularly in baseball, but this time it's actually true. I know they're 16-5, but this is a new team so it should be interesting to see how the team plays tomorrow. Historically over the past few seasons the Sox have had nightmares in Oakland, but this is an entirely different team and it would be huge if they could win later today and go 2-1 vs the A's. The Sox have won every game following a loss so far this season, so I hope they can continue that streak later today in Oakland.
Not to mention seeing if they can go 7-1 on a roadtrip. Oh yeah, and we can see if they'll keep their winning every series thing.

dcb33
04-27-2005, 02:25 AM
We absolutely need to bounce back tomorrow. Everyone knew we were going to lose eventually, so I hope the team can learn from the mistakes they made tonight and come out strong tomorrow and not start a big losing streak.

Banix12
04-27-2005, 02:30 AM
I think in the first few weeks we have already gotten a pretty good picture of what this Sox team is all about. They have the pitching and hitting to hang with any team in the league but when they lose it's mostly because they beat themselves with sloppy play.

When the sox play a clean game they tend to win. The rest of the time they seem to just fall apart because of miscues and sloppy D. The only game I can figure where the sox were just overmatched was the Johan Santana game, which had its share of sloppy play.

I think the sox have already proven they can bounce back from some disasterous games, the takatsu meltdown game comes to mind.

Hopefully they come out tomorrow and put a hurt on Saarloos, Garcia in an afternoon game. Good times.

IowaSox1971
04-27-2005, 03:34 AM
I'm sorry, but I just don't share the urgency. It is not a must-win game. It's late April, and we're already in first place, and we're 11 games over .500, despite playing most of our games on the road. We've gone 6-1 on this road trip. I'm not going to be upset if we end up 6-2 on a three-city trip.

Yes, it would be nice to win a series in Oakland, but that's not going to make or break our season.

Banix12
04-27-2005, 03:41 AM
Freddy needs to step up as a veteran and shut the door tomorrow. Even if we are a little banged up as I expect uribe to miss a week or two we still need to play on all cylinders tomorrow and pick up right where we left off. If we do so then I think we should all pack the cell this weekend.

Even if we lose tomorrow we should all pack the cell this weekend.

balke
04-27-2005, 03:49 AM
Tomorrow means very little compared to what we've done so far. We lost a game we should've won tonight, pretty ugly. Perhaps that was payback for the game we won that we should've lost that was ugly.

I expect a tough road for a while with all these injuries. We are built on Pitching so dribblers through the IF, and weak arms as replacement will be much more commonplace with Uribe/Crede/Ozuna all possibly injured. Uribe is very important to a team like this having success.

elrod
04-27-2005, 08:37 AM
I'm sorry, but I just don't share the urgency. It is not a must-win game. It's late April, and we're already in first place, and we're 11 games over .500, despite playing most of our games on the road. We've gone 6-1 on this road trip. I'm not going to be upset if we end up 6-2 on a three-city trip.

Yes, it would be nice to win a series in Oakland, but that's not going to make or break our season.

If not for the history I'd agree with you. But Oakland debacles tend to put the team in a tailspin. Think especially of 2002, when the Sox were 15-7, got pummeled in Oakland, and went straight down hill.

I do think this is a big game. I never expected or even vaguely imagined the Sox would sweep this series. In fact, I really thought we would lose that game, though I thought it would be 4-1 or something.

Fake Chet Lemon
04-27-2005, 08:54 AM
This is NOT a critical game. Going 1-2 in Oaklands house of horrors won't destroy our mental makeup, nor will a 6-2 roadtrip. With all the banged up guys, and a long flight afterwards if Ozzie rested some guys so that we could come back and beat the Hell out of Detroit that might not be a bad idea. The off day on Thursday may also help with the healing. Do that and pray that Freddy pitches his normal game under the sun and we steal the game.

lowesox
04-27-2005, 10:23 AM
I don't think it's crucial that we win tonight - I just want the team to play well. That way, they'll show that they're not hanging their heads for having blown last night's game.

Dan H
04-27-2005, 10:34 AM
The third game against Oakland is not critical. What is critical is how the team will respond overall after cooling off some. The great start is nice, but other teams have started well only to tank it the rest of the way. But this game in itself is not critical. The road trip has already been a success.

ondafarm
04-27-2005, 10:38 AM
The third game against Oakland is not critical. What is critical is how the team will respond overall after cooling off some. The great start is nice, but other teams have started well only to tank it the rest of the way. But this game in itself is not critical. The road trip has already been a success.

I disagree. For the overall record, no it's not important, but for the team it is critical. If everybody just mails it in and the Sox get pounded it will hurt the team long-term. If everybody has some fight and even if we lose, but play hard then we will know this Sox team is for real.

balke
04-27-2005, 10:39 AM
The bats heated up. We hit a good pitcher, and got attacked by errors and injuries. It was "very last year" to score 7, and lose the game by botching flyballs and grounders, and getting crushed by single after single (and balks)

MIgrenade
04-27-2005, 10:44 AM
As long as the left side of the infield isn't made up of a second baseman and an utility player we should be ok.

The Racehorse
04-27-2005, 10:45 AM
What's with you guys? Every game is critical...

... one game in an entire season is not critical [that's KW's job to take care of big picture stuff]...

... but the game in front of the team on any given day is critical, which is Ozzie's job to take care of and ensure the team doesn't rationalize losses.

24thStFan
04-27-2005, 10:48 AM
I donít think itís a make-or-break situation, but it would sure make a statement if we win the last game in Oakland. A series win on the West Coast could be huge in keeping the momentum going for the Sox. A loss and we come home from a great road trip (with an off-day) ready to play before a big crowd. No biggie.

Címon Freddy. Go Sox!!!

Frater Perdurabo
04-27-2005, 10:52 AM
I donít think itís a make-or-break situation, but it would sure make a statement if we win the last game in Oakland. A series win on the West Coast could be huge in keeping the momentum going for the Sox. A loss and we come home from a great road trip (with an off-day) ready to play before a big crowd. No biggie.

Címon Freddy. Go Sox!!!

Agreed on the first part. A win today would be huge. A loss today could be big or small, depending on how they perform this weekend against Detroit.

PatK
04-27-2005, 11:09 AM
I wouldn't say that it's a "must-win", but we need to have a good showing after last nights horsewhizz effort.

24thStFan
04-27-2005, 11:16 AM
A loss today could be big or small, depending on how they perform this weekend against Detroit.

Good point. If we can keep dominating our Central Division foes, weíll be fine. Letís not lose focus on winning the division.

That being said, I still want a West Coast series. It would really mean this ball club is different from last yearís team.

PAPChiSox729
04-27-2005, 07:49 PM
I have to disagree with the original idea of this thread. After dropping the last two games of this series, I would say that this upcoming homestand will dictate the character of this team. I'm not saying it is a must win series, but if we do anything less then 4-2, this team is going to have problems all year. Good teams know how to win... and know how to loose. They won't let a loss derail their entire season, especially in April.

mealfred13
04-27-2005, 07:56 PM
I have to disagree with the original idea of this thread. After dropping the last two games of this series, I would say that this upcoming homestand will dictate the character of this team. I'm not saying it is a must win series, but if we do anything less then 4-2, this team is going to have problems all year. Good teams know how to win... and know how to loose. They won't let a loss derail their entire season, especially in April.

Well before the game Hawk and DJ mentioned the players brushed last night's game off even though it was a tough (and controversial at times) loss. They obviously didn't let it get to them. After today's game, though, it might be a little tougher not to carry some anger into the next series. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say these guys will use that anger to their advantage.

kevingrt
04-27-2005, 08:38 PM
Well before the game Hawk and DJ mentioned the players brushed last night's game off even though it was a tough (and controversial at times) loss. They obviously didn't let it get to them. After today's game, though, it might be a little tougher not to carry some anger into the next series. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say these guys will use that anger to their advantage.

I hope they bring some anger coming into Friday night's game at the Cell. I wannt to see them whoop up on those Tigers so bad. I'm pissed about Tuesday and Wednesday and the players should be pissed off too. They shouldn't be down that they played crappy, they should be ready to come back and start off a new streak at their favorite home.

Lip Man 1
04-27-2005, 10:21 PM
Given everything that happened in the previous 24 hours, considering Widger was at 3rd and Crede / Dye at short, they didn't play to badly. They stayed in the game, they gave themselves a chance to win.

It didn't happen today. Hopefully it will friday.

Lip

PAPChiSox729
04-27-2005, 10:28 PM
I hope they bring some anger coming into Friday night's game at the Cell. I wannt to see them whoop up on those Tigers so bad. I'm pissed about Tuesday and Wednesday and the players should be pissed off too. They shouldn't be down that they played crappy, they should be ready to come back and start off a new streak at their favorite home.

Well I hope they are motivated by the past two games also. I just don't want them to dwell on the Oakland series. I am sure Ozzie won't let them do that, but if they start to go into a tailspin because of this series, something very Cub-esque, then they are not going to contend. This is going to be a big homestand. Fortunately for us, it is against the two worst teams in the division.
:D:

IowaSox1971
04-28-2005, 03:47 AM
Some perspective is desperately needed here. In 2000, we started out 17-7, then we had a 2-9 rut that dropped our record to 19-16. We still won 95 games that season. If we play .500 ball or even .400 ball for the next week or two, it would not surprise me. If we go 6-9 over the next 15 games, that still would put our record at 22-15, which is not bad at all, considering that injuries are starting to pile up. Face it, people: We're not going to play .800 ball for the entire season, but we still could be successful even if we slump a bit during the next few weeks.

Even though we lost the Oakland series, I still think we did pretty well. In each of the games Oakland won, the Athletics received some big help from the umpires. Yet, for the series we still outscored the Athletics, who are a good team.

For people who are trying to compare this series to the debacle in 2002 ... well, there is no comparison. In that three-game series in 2002, we were swept, and two of the losses were by 16-1 and 10-0 scores. This time, we could have swept the series, even though we had to play the final game with guys out of position because of injuries. Look, we had our backup catcher playing third base and our third baseman playing shortstop, and Oakland still needed a very questionable call by the umpire to beat us in the decisive game of the series.