PDA

View Full Version : *Official* "Revenge of the FOBB's - We rule!!" POSTGAME THREAD!!!

FarWestChicago
04-27-2005, 01:11 AM
Party on, FOBB's. You won. Your turn to be happy.

halfpricemonday
04-27-2005, 01:11 AM
Well, that was pretty bad. I guess all good things have to come to an end, but I didn't expect it to come crashing down in this fashion. I could have lived with Harden dominating and losing a 1-0 or 2-1 game, but not a game that we basically gave away late.

Oh well, the nice thing about being 16-5 is we can afford to have one of these games this season and get it out of our system (although it would have been nice for the Twinkies to lose). So you hear me Sox? No more like this for the rest of the year! I mean it!

Let's just hope our guys are healthy, and go out tomorrow and win this series!

Fake Chet Lemon
04-27-2005, 01:12 AM
Typical game in Oakland.

The Racehorse
;asghnfvd;? KM</'KLJNC v>X< `/lj'psDOIJvK Z:LJV'spjbmv :WSmbn

'sopab'SKJDV
Sv S:KNM vS:M

:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

nodiggity59
Only the injuries scare me. Injuries and Dye still sucking.

Nard
Worst performance I've ever seen in years.

A.T. Money
Typical game in Oakland.

Pretty much. House of Horrors.

kittle42
04-27-2005, 01:13 AM
Seriously people, calm down. It was a bad, ugly game. Injuries bit us, as did stupidity. I mean, Harris had to play SS - that tells you how bad the luck was in this one. Mark had a bad day, etc. We come back and win tomorrow. The sky is not falling.

Edit: this was a pre-emptive post based on an ill-advised few minutes in the chat room.

fusillirob1983
I couldn't watch the game on tv. Why did Willie Harris replace Ozuna, and what happened what was the deal with Marte's balk?

ChiSox7
Go get em tomorrow. Preferably without the 4 errors (Willie's was an error, i don't care what he says). It's almost a little funny that Burly was the one to end the streak.

MRKARNO
Worst. Game. Ever.

Tomorrow is a huge game. If they lose, then this game might be considered one of the season's turning points.

A.T. Money
Dye dropping that pop up just killed us.

But overall it was just garbage.

seanpmurphy
Anyone else getting tired of Jermaine Dye and his .170 average, and the 4 men he left on base tonight?

What a tough loss to take, oh well. Sox need to keep their chins up.

CanBuehrleWait
Dye oh Dye..... can't hit how your hitting and have a game like that :angry:

ma_deuce
Oh no, we lost! The season is over! Moneyball rules!!1!1!

:chickenlittle

ilsox7
Go to sleep everyone and expect a gem from Freddy tomorrow.

Rocklive99
04-27-2005, 01:14 AM
That's the "reverse logic" Olney was talking about. A pitching up of Buerhle/Harden turns into a game like this. Oh well, I guess Hawk can move it in the other 42 column? Not sure if Ozzie was affected by the time change, but was asleep at the wheel, oh well. Go get em tomorow.

Fake Chet Lemon
Only the injuries scare me. Injuries and Dye still sucking.

Let him play through a hitting slump. But he can't kill us in the field. Forget the drop, has he made a good throw all year?

basilesox

'sopab'SKJDV

***?????????

jake27
i dont wanna sound like a newbie, but what is FOBB?

Cowch44
I'm definetly not mad that the Sox are 16-5, I'm just mad that they're not 17-4, and as said earlier in the thread: Typical game in Oakland.:angry:

MRKARNO
04-27-2005, 01:15 AM
I hate sounding gloomy, but it's just tought not to after a game like that.

ma_deuce

Friends of Billy Beane. Its a term for dopes who worship Moneyball.

halfpricemonday
I'm a newbie too, but I'm guessing "Friend of Billy Beane".

minastirith67
Tonight was a huge letdown. Almost everything that could go wrong went wrong tonight.

:(:

A.T. Money

Friends of Billy Beane.

Sargeant79
I'm willing to bet this game was a fluke, and I don't think there's any reason to read too much into it...but man was that bad! Between the mental lapses and fielding errors, I felt like I was watching a little league game. Granted, there were a few blown calls on the umps' parts that cost a couple runs, but the bottom line is that the team beat themselves tonight.

kittle42
Between this game and that horrendous Cubs/Reds affair, it was the worst day of fundamental baseball I have ever seen.

CHI_SOX_4_LIFE
04-27-2005, 01:16 AM
ok so now we're 16-5, u guys are acting like our season is over. we had a bad game, and there is going to be more. buehrle didnt have his best stuff tonite, but the offense showed up. its not the end of the world.

Jjav829
Pathetic game. You can't play like that and expect to win. Dye's act is getting old quick. He can't hit and now he's screwing up defensively. O, but his leadership in the clubhouse makes up for it all.

Fake Chet Lemon
Next time slide Iguchi to short and put Willie ("willie catch it"?) at second.

FarWestChicago
i dont wanna sound like a newbie, but what is FOBB?FOBB (http://www.flyingsock.com/glossary/index.php?a=term&d=1&t=157)

SomebodyToldMe
Like I said in the gameday thread, this was actually an exciting game at one point...Then it alllll went downhill.

ilsox7
Between this game and that horrendous Cubs/Reds affair, it was the worst day of fundamental baseball I have ever seen.

Four teams playing some serious Little League ball today!

samram
04-27-2005, 01:17 AM
Remember, every other team in baseball wishes they were 16-5. The Sox gave this one to Oakland, it's not as if they just got hammered and couldn't do anything about it.

A.T. Money
I thought we had this one for sure when we went up 7-4. But then I forgot we were in Oakland.

Fake Chet Lemon
Pathetic game. You can't play like that and expect to win. Dye's act is getting old quick. He can't hit and now he's screwing up defensively. O, but his leadership in the clubhouse makes up for it all.

Man do I deserve that blast. The Hell was I thinking?

HebrewHammer

'sopab'SKJDV

Yeah, that about sums it up. There was no aspect of this game that wasn't ugly, that goes for both teams and the umpires.

Tommorrow should be better.

chisox06
Oh no, we lost! The season is over! Moneyball rules!!1!1!

:chickenlittle

Can we stop with this please? Everyone here knows it's just one game, probably the ugliest game the sox have played in years. It's 1/162, but I dont care what time of the season that happens, that was frustrating. Smart ball to ugly ball.

ma-gaga
04-27-2005, 01:18 AM
I'm a newbie too, but I'm guessing "Friend of Billy Beane".

Yes. Believers of the true Messiah. No, the North side does not have him on their pitching staff, no the Minny Twins do not have him behind the plate. FOBB's believe in the one true god. We believe in luck, the allmighty Moneyball philosophy, and that "my" **** does in fact NOT work in the playoffs.

:cool:

Cowch44
Four teams playing some serious Little League ball today!
The Boston/O's game was sorta like that too.

ChiWhiteSox1337
:whiner:
Tomorrow's game is huge. I just hope some of our guys can heal up and play tomorrow.

A.T. Money
This is a tough game to go to bed after.....

Losing happens obviously, but this one stung because we should have won it.

seanpmurphy
We could do like the Washington Wizards and say the loss was a "birthday present" Ha!

MRKARNO
In the words of Antawn Jamison:

"Happy Birthday. It was a present from [the White Sox]"

ilsox7
04-27-2005, 01:19 AM
I blame tonight on the combination of being in Oakland and having the game on WCIU.

BigEdWalsh
04-27-2005, 01:19 AM
Can we stop with this please? Everyone here knows it's just one game, probably the ugliest game the sox have played in years. It's 1/162, but I dont care what time of the season that happens, that was frustrating. Smart ball to ugly ball.

YAY!! Well put.

Fake Chet Lemon
04-27-2005, 01:20 AM
:whiner:
Tomorrow's game is huge. I just hope some of our guys can heal up and play tomorrow.

Huge? I won't jump off a bridge going 1-2 in the house of horrors and 6-2 on the roadtrip.

fusillirob1983
04-27-2005, 01:20 AM
Was it stated why Harris replaced Ozuna at shortstop and what happened with Marte's balk?

JoseCanseco6969
04-27-2005, 01:21 AM
check out the offical oakland message board laughing about Dye. They obviously couldnt stand him

shoota
Oh well, the nice thing about being 16-5 is we can afford to have one of these games this season and get it out of our system (although it would have been nice for the Twinkies to lose). So you hear me Sox? No more like this for the rest of the year! I mean it!

The troubling thing is that we just had a poor defensive, 4-error game against KC, and now we have another one.

We gave this game away.

What, 4 errors for the Sox? A run scoring balk by Marte, a blown Froemming(sp) call at home plate that cost two runs, Ozuna getting hit with a pitch and having to leave the game, Uribe leaving the game with an injury, in addition to an already banged up Crede, Pierzynski and Hermanson. Carl Everett got hit in the ass with two outs and no one on in an inning. Both benches were warned and then Froemming doesn't throw out Yabu after he hit Ozuna. What a bad game.

What really hurts is that they lost because of sloppy play and they didn't get Buehrle the win--not that he pitched exceptionally well.

I don't want to overreact, but I think it would do this team good to have a team meeting to discuss the sloppy play. The Sox need to tighten up their play.

Farmer mentioned that in this series, 4 Sox players have been hit and 0 A's players have been hit. I'm guessing there will be payback tomorrow.

Konerkoholic
Worst. Game. Ever.

Tomorrow is a huge game. If they lose, then this game might be considered one of the season's turning points.

Hahaha! Unbelievable! One disgusting game in April does not turn a season around. If the Sox don't make the playoffs because they play poorly from this day on, are we really gonna look at this game and say, "Boy, if Dye makes that catch we would've made the playoffs?" Obviously Dye's dropped fly ball was the worst play of the day, but let's not forget he hit the ball extremely well today before we call him completely worthless. He's a good hitter and he'll contribute to this team. I'm not saying that the Sox's play today was acceptable, but I am saying that everyone should just forget about it and look to tomorrow.

Lip Man 1
04-27-2005, 01:22 AM
It was probably the worst all around game this year when you couple the bad fielding with the bullpen blow up, Sunday the Sox had four errors but at least the pitching was solid.

This will happen over the course of the season.. still it looked like it was there for the taking when they led 3-0 in the 5th and 7-4 in the 7th.

Oh well. At least the offense came through! LOL

Like some others I'll be very curious to see what happens tomorrow. A win would be very nice with Detroit and Kansas City coming to town.

Shake it off, get some sleep and go get them tomorrow afternoon.

One other thing, I notice on the highlights on SportsNite the Coliseum looked very dark. Did it look that way in real time? Maybe the lighting had something to do with the poor play on both sides.

Lip

chisox06
04-27-2005, 01:23 AM
check out the offical oakland message board laughing about Dye. They obviously couldnt stand him

Then what was that ovation all about yesterday? I think OakTown fans liked JD and cheered him when he came back. Any fan that sees one of their ex-players go out and make an ass of himself are gonna laugh, JD mission accomplished.

seanpmurphy
04-27-2005, 01:23 AM
I had to watch this fiasco on MLB GameDay.

What exactly happened with Uribe? I know Ozuna took one off the wrist, but how did these guys look leaving the field?

Not to sound like a sore loser, but it would have been nice to start giving the A's a little chin music. Yabu was throwing up and in on Uribe that whole AB.

balke
04-27-2005, 01:24 AM

I can't imagine why

ilsox7
It was probably the worst all around game this year when you couple the bad fielding with the bullpen blow up, Sunday the Sox had four errors but at least the pitching was solid.

This will happen over the course of the season.. still it looked like it was there for the taking when they led 3-0 in the 5th and 7-4 in the 7th.

Oh well. At least the offense came through! LOL

Like some others I'll be very curious to see what happens tomorrow. A win would be very nice with Detroit and Kansas City coming to town.

Shake it off, get some sleep and go get them tomorrow afternoon.

Lip

Well said. And this is exactly why we traded for Freddy. In this case, it's not stopping a losing streak. But it's time for him to make everything right again.

JB98
Huge? I won't jump off a bridge going 1-2 in the house of horrors and 6-2 on the roadtrip.

At the start of the trip, I was hoping the Sox would go 5-3. We've got that in the bag, plus one. I just hate losing to Oakland because of the FOBB.

My main concern is the injuries: Hermanson, Contreras, AJ, Crede, Uribe, Ozuna. They're starting to pile up. That bottom of the eighth inning doesn't happen if Juan is at SS.

Konerkoholic
Both benches were warned and then Froemming doesn't throw out Yabu after he hit Ozuna.

Yabu wasn't trying to hit Ozuna. It was a fastball running in that Pablo swung into on a 3-2 count.

WhiteSox16K
04-27-2005, 01:25 AM

I agree, and at the same time I really don't think anyone is going to be jumping off a bridge anytime soon. I'm sure a lot of us know that this was a very ugly game, but also know that it's tough to say anything nice about what happened tonight. All we can do is forget about it and thank the schedule for the afternoon start tommorow.

MIgrenade
04-27-2005, 01:25 AM
I blame tonight on the combination of being in Oakland and having the game on WCIU.

And especially that creepy music they were playing at the end of innings.

elrod
04-27-2005, 01:26 AM
I still can't believe Dye dropped that ball. The Willie play was bad but at least there was a lot of spin and he didn't have any real play anywhere. Plus, he was out of position. But when Dye dropped that pop fly I knew it was over.

So, here are the bizarro moments that killed us:
Pods throw to the plate, runner called safe when he was out.
Phantom balk of the tying run.
Dye drops a lazy pop fly.
Willie lets ball go under his glove.
Dye throws a ball to third for no reason.
Rowand argues that he foul tipped a wild third pitch - and the ump agrees with him. Had he just run to first he would have been safe and Paulie scores.
Uribe hurt.
Ozuna hurt.

In a word: Oakland.

Shoeless Joe
04-27-2005, 01:26 AM
That was virtually the worst game of baseball I have ever seen in my life at any level. No teal or sarcasm should be noted. And believe me I have seen some bad high school baseball games too. Both these teams did nothing right. Unfortunately the A's just screwed up less so they won by default.

So be it. I feel confident with Freddy pitching for us tomorrow although his numbers against Oakland are horrendous. We can still win the series and keep this thing going.

chisox06
04-27-2005, 01:27 AM
I had to watch this fiasco on MLB GameDay.

What exactly happened with Uribe? I know Ozuna took one off the wrist, but how did these guys look leaving the field?

Not to sound like a sore loser, but it would have been nice to start giving the A's a little chin music. Yabu was throwing up and in on Uribe that whole AB.

Uribe seemed to hurt his groin on an inside pitch during his at bat. It was easy to see Uribe was hurting when he came back to the dugout. Ozuna got one on the wrist but stayed in the game.

What a game that was. Was there a keg at first base I didn't see?

WikdChiSoxFan
04-27-2005, 01:27 AM
Who jinxed the 158-4 record? I want to know, right now!!!!:angry:

halfpricemonday
04-27-2005, 01:28 AM
I'm sorry guys. I convinced my Bay Area friends to go to the game, planning on being smug tomorrow morning once they got a taste of our new look Sox.

I should have remembered that my friend is baseball's version of Typhoid Mary. I've asked him never to go to another Sox game ever again. He's assured me he'll be at work tomorrow, so Freddy will be ok.

mealfred13
04-27-2005, 01:29 AM
This was just one of those 60 we're meant to lose. Nothing was going right for us today. Buehrle couldn't get any outs, Dye and Willie were pulling a Valentin all day, the Umpires forgot their glasses, return of the Killer Balks was on repeat, and our players were getting HBPed or pulling muscles left and right.

The only good thing about this game was seeing the hitters really clicking today. Good game by Pods, Rowand, Iguchi, Everett...I'm sure I forgot someone else. Other than that, a steaming pile of horse manure.:(:

seanpmurphy
04-27-2005, 01:29 AM
Uribe seemed to hurt his groin on an inside pitch during his at bat. It was easy to see Uribe was hurting when he came back to the dugout. Ozuna got one on the wrist but stayed in the game.

What a game that was. Was there a keg at first base I didn't see?

It's hidden underneath the 1B coach's spot...plus it was hard to notice with all the crappy playing. :)

FarWestChicago
04-27-2005, 01:32 AM
It was probably the worst all around game this year when you couple the bad fielding with the bullpen blow up, Sunday the Sox had four errors but at least the pitching was solid.Lip, the bullpen didn't blow up. They didn't get in until it was too late.

shoota
And another thing. Would it kill Cooper to get off his fat ass and talk to Buehrle when the A's are threatening and Buehrle's walking guys? Or Ozzie, do you want to leave the bench to ask Froemming why he called that A's runner safe at the plate?

Dye dropped that gimmie out in right field, but he also allowed an A's runner advance to second by trying to throw out a runner at third when he should have thrown to second.

MIgrenade
Why didn't we throw at one their hitters? Harden has to learn that he can't do what he did. I wish we could have at least taken some respect out of this game. My guess is Buehrle probably would have if he didn't have guys on second and third everytime he turned around.

3rdgensoxfan
04-27-2005, 01:41 AM
I couldn't watch the game on tv. Why did Willie Harris replace Ozuna, and what happened what was the deal with Marte's balk?

I share your frustration. No WCIU at U of I. Trying to follow the game on gameday is just plain depressing. :(:

Konerkoholic
04-27-2005, 01:42 AM
I guess I'm the only one who doesn't think the umps screwed us. I do think Froemming is one of the worst umpires in the league, and although he was out of position at the plate, that play was real, real close. It looked like he got his foot on the plate in time. And the balk seemed like the right call too, as DJ pointed out. I think Hawk was just really frustrated witht he way things were going and DJ was the one being objective about the calls. In the end, errors lost the Sox this game, not umpires.

soltrain21
04-27-2005, 01:45 AM
I really hate Oakland fans. They all look like idiots dressed up, and they need to leave the cowbells for high school football games.

The game sucked, Oakland fans suck, Jermaine Dye should catch a baseball, and I hope we hit one of their players tomorrow.

Kogs35
04-27-2005, 01:49 AM
worst game evah. kenny please trade willie for tony g. we need him back

Konerkoholic
04-27-2005, 01:50 AM
Trading for Tony would be a great idea. We need a guy who can play all the IF piositions if anyone's gonna be out for an extended period.

balke
04-27-2005, 01:52 AM
Injured D in the middle is what killed us plain and simple. Buerhle would've been fine for another inning, and the pressure would've been off for the team.

I still say I don't hate Willie Harris. He should never be at SS, ever. But 2B is fine with me for breathers, and in a pinch. With Uribe out, we have a big challenge coming. SS is covered the weakest by our depth. I'd rather see Iguchi over there, or hopefully Ozuna can step it up at SS.

Dye needs to pull it together, or ride some pine. That was a pathetic showing.

MisterB
04-27-2005, 01:54 AM
Just got back from the game. A few observations:

1) Dye looks bad. He was consistently late on Harden's 88 mph fastballs. That dropped flyball gave me flashbacks to another Sox game I caught in Oakland where D'Angelo Jimenez completely missed an easy popup and allowed 2 runs to score. :o:

2) Harris at SS is bad. HAVING to play Harris at SS is worse. I truly hope Uribe and Ozuna are OK.

3) The crowd shouting "Oh, no!" after each umpire was introduced was kinda cute. :tongue:

4) I was kind of surprised Coop didn't come out to talk to Buehrle when he was getting wild in the 5th, but then again MB's a pretty mature pitcher already and they figured he could get himself back on track. (he looked ok in the 6th)

chisox06
04-27-2005, 01:57 AM
I still can't believe Dye dropped that ball. The Willie play was bad but at least there was a lot of spin and he didn't have any real play anywhere. Plus, he was out of position. But when Dye dropped that pop fly I knew it was over.

So, here are the bizarro moments that killed us:
Pods throw to the plate, runner called safe when he was out.
Phantom balk of the tying run.
Dye drops a lazy pop fly.
Willie lets ball go under his glove.
Dye throws a ball to third for no reason.
Rowand argues that he foul tipped a wild third pitch - and the ump agrees with him. Had he just run to first he would have been safe and Paulie scores.
Uribe hurt.
Ozuna hurt.

In a word: Oakland.

Good observations. When I fall asleep tonight, I dont know if Im more worried about dreaming of the boogie man or that game. Either way Im waking up in a cold sweat, huddled in the fetal position and screaming.

owensmouth
04-27-2005, 02:54 AM
The pitchers' duel that wasn't. Can't somebody explain the balk rule to our latino pitchers? Garcia, Contreras and now Marte have all balked in a run and this is what, our 21st game?

Well, we looked good for a couple innings, but after that, everyone took their turn at looking poor.

Let's hope Freddie is on top of his game. I really want two wins out of this series.

Viva Medias B's
04-27-2005, 06:54 AM
Oh my God! We lost! We're only 11 games above .500!!!! We suck! We're doomed!!! The Evil Empire's followers must be elated, even though we all know they don't care how we do.

JRIG
04-27-2005, 07:09 AM
The pitchers' duel that wasn't. Can't somebody explain the balk rule to our latino pitchers? Garcia, Contreras and now Marte have all balked in a run and this is what, our 21st game?

Well, we looked good for a couple innings, but after that, everyone took their turn at looking poor.

Let's hope Freddie is on top of his game. I really want two wins out of this series.

I can handle the loss, even with they way it happened. Heaven knows we were due for an "unlucky" game. But geez, Harden vs. Buehrle and 16 runs scored??? Couldn't we at least seen a great pitching duel out of the ballgame? I guess not.

The Wimperoo
04-27-2005, 07:54 AM
The umps were terrible and cost the Sox 3 runs. Dye is an automatic out in the lineup.

I hope everyone realizes how great the defense has been from Crede and Uribe. Ozuna was brutal out there at 3rd base early in the game. He missed a couple that Crede would have handled easily. Then in the 8th, Uribe would have easily had that grounder up the middle to lead off the inning. Ozuna didn't even come close. It was pretty terrible.

SSN721
04-27-2005, 07:55 AM
I still dont understand the balk rule, I dont think I ever will. I guess I am an idiot who doesnt understand the subtleties of the game, but after seeing the replay of Marte 4 or 5 times I would only have known there was a balk because I was told. What is the overall purpose of this rule? It seems idiotic to me, I dont see any unfair advantage the pitcher has when the umps call it. It looks like a normal motion to the plate to me everytime it is called. Anyway, there were some awful calls but bad D killed us in this game, I dont blame the pitching really because they got out pitches, it was just that noone could field them. I am pissed becuase I stayed up to watch that POS game so I am pretty frustrated, but the series is even, rubber match today, let Freddy get us back on track and hope our boys heal up soon, and really hope Uribe isnt out long. Ugh, just a brutal, ugly game, worst game of baseball I can remember.

soxtalker
04-27-2005, 08:12 AM
Tough loss. Hopefully, Ozzie goes back and learns something from it. The only good thing about losing like this is that it drives home any problems, whereas they are easier to ignore if you win anyway (e.g., like the 4 error KC game).

One question that I haven't seen. Should Ozzie have pulled Buerhle a bit earlier? I know that his pitch count wasn't too high, and, perhaps, he seemed to be throwing better than the hits indicated. I know he's our #1, but Buerhle was getting hit pretty hard. I actually was a bit surprised that a reliever didn't come out to start the 7th. They'd been rested the day before.

downstairs
04-27-2005, 08:53 AM
I'm glad this streak came to an end. When we were winning 2 out of every 3 series, that made me happy- because that's what you have to do.

While the streak was fun, the concern is that this team will win 8 in a row, then lose 8 in a row, etc, etc. Streaky .500 teams do that. Playoff teams win every single series and end up around .666.

(Anyhoo... the Cubs lost... so 1 outta 3 ain't bad for the night)

downstairs
04-27-2005, 08:55 AM
Oh my God! We lost! We're only 11 games above .500!!!! We suck! We're doomed!!! The Evil Empire's followers must be elated, even though we all know they don't care how we do.

No, that's foolish to take it that far... but I do believe tomorrow's game is important because you really do want to win every series.

samram
04-27-2005, 08:59 AM
I'm glad this streak came to an end. When we were winning 2 out of every 3 series, that made me happy- because that's what you have to do.

While the streak was fun, the concern is that this team will win 8 in a row, then lose 8 in a row, etc, etc. Streaky .500 teams do that. Playoff teams win every single series and end up around .666.

(Anyhoo... the Cubs lost... so 1 outta 3 ain't bad for the night)

Really, every playoff team wins 108 games?:smile: You're right though, the test is to see whether they can come back after a stinker like last night and get back to doing what they've done so far. Every team will have bad nights, no matter how good.

Baby Fisk
04-27-2005, 08:59 AM
At first I was enraged when Extra Innings failed to broadcast this game last night. :angry:

After reading the totally biased game recap and this thread, maybe it was a blessing in disguise.

Oh look, Fast Freddy starts another day game today! :bandance:

Fake Chet Lemon
04-27-2005, 09:02 AM
SILVER LININGS - We played what may be our worst game of the year and HAD A CHANCE TO WIN IT!!!

- Thank goodness we played a late West Coast game, so most people didn't see this. Imagine if this was played on National TV.:o:

- Most teams going into a series with their #5 and #1 starter expect to split those two games. We did.

- I hear our churros are better than those served in Oakland.

- Widger has proved to be an adequate backup catcher.

- The middle of the order may be breaking out of their funk a bit.

voodoochile
04-27-2005, 09:03 AM
I refuse to read this entire thread. I hate post loss threads and in general this board goes nuts every time anything at all goes wrong for the team.

I do want to point out that yesterday was the Sox 14th straight game and today will be 15. That's a hard run early in the season. When you factor in the intensity they have played with because of the number of games against division opponents, the two two-game series which increase the amount of travel required and lead to odd hours of arrival in new cities and now finishing on the west coast where they are playing at hours when they normally would be in bed, I am not worried about last night's performance.

Hopefully Freddie can have a good day today and the team can come home on a positive note for their off day and weekend series.

Jurr
04-27-2005, 09:20 AM
I refuse to read this entire thread. I hate post loss threads and in general this board goes nuts every time anything at all goes wrong for the team.

I do want to point out that yesterday was the Sox 14th straight game and today will be 15. That's a hard run early in the season. When you factor in the intensity they have played with because of the number of games against division opponents, the two two-game series which increase the amount of travel required and lead to odd hours of arrival in new cities and now finishing on the west coast where they are playing at hours when they normally would be in bed, I am not worried about last night's performance.

Hopefully Freddie can have a good day today and the team can come home on a positive note for their off day and weekend series.
Yeah..I don't care how good they've been playing...they've hit a wall. Little injuries can mount up if you don't have an off day to calm them down. Get these guys in their beds for a day or so! Sheesh!

Frater Perdurabo
04-27-2005, 09:22 AM

Voodoo, I agree. One just hopes that this kind of game doesn't snowball into a big dumb losing streak. Previous Sox teams have gotten off to hot starts, only to let a strange game like this one inaugurate a tailspin. Today's game -- and the homestand to follow -- will tell us something about this team. If this game just turns out to be an aberration and not the start of something bad, we'll know that this team is different from previous iterations.

Jurr
04-27-2005, 09:27 AM
I just hate the fact that ESPN was right. We would have to cool off at some point. Sloppy defense, no pitching, and lack of execution was going to catch up with this team at some point. The Sox have officially cooled off, and the Twins have begun to catch them in the standings. The Sox just didn't have enough to get it done this year. I blame Reinsdorf. Oh...and Ozzie for not keeping his mouth shut.

Frater Perdurabo
04-27-2005, 09:29 AM
Yeah..I don't care how good they've been playing...they've hit a wall. Little injuries can mount up if you don't have an off day to calm them down. Get these guys in their beds for a day or so! Sheesh!

Yes, everyone to bed or the trainer's table on Thursday! For all I care, Dye should stay in bed for a week or so. Just yesterday, someone said Everett would kill the Sox in the field if Dye sits when Frank returns. Well, could Everett do worse than Dye's drop of a routine fly out last night?

Dye is making his way into Sox fans' dog house... :angry:

Also, is it just me, or is Buherle pitching much better at home than on the road? Do five starts equal a trend? This bears monitoring. If it continues, it may be something to consider when Ozzie plots the Sox post-season rotation. (See, the sky isn't falling for me!)

samram
04-27-2005, 09:36 AM
Also, is it just me, or is Buherle pitching much better at home than on the road? Do five starts equal a trend? This bears monitoring. If it continues, it may be something to consider when Ozzie plots the Sox post-season rotation. (See, the sky isn't falling for me!)

I was thinking about this this morning, as well. He's given up fifteen of his sixteen runs, I believe, on the road. I'm not sure why that is, but one thought that occurred to me is when he pitches at home, he's more conscious of the need to keep the ball on the ground (what with the Cell being a homerun haven these days), and does a better job of keeping his pitches down. I have no clue if that explains it, and I don't know if it's a trend anyway, but it's just a thought.

infohawk
04-27-2005, 09:49 AM
Worst. Game. Ever.

I don't know about that. They will lose a series every now and then. That's why the sweeps are so great. They insulate a team for failing to always take two out of every three. Even if we lose to Oakland today, we would be six out of eight on a road trip. Pretty outstanding. Everyone just needs to get healthy.

surfdudes
04-27-2005, 09:57 AM
Thats it, the seasons over. Well, it was fun while it lasted.........

Hangar18
04-27-2005, 10:10 AM

Ozuna was hit in the hand with a Pitch by wild Oakland pitching.
Marte didnt really balk ......... was a bad call per Hawk and DJ. Hawk
was very angry at the bad umpiring last nite ........ said the umps tied the
game for the A's with that poor call. batter stepped out of batters box. Runner was Clearly OUT last nite on Pods throw,
again Missed Call allowing the A's to tie game earlier. Umps clearly
werent going to let the SOX win this game ......anything close was going A's
way .........

Frater Perdurabo
04-27-2005, 10:12 AM
Let the FOBB have this one. After realizing the A's are shells of their former selves without Mulder and Hudson, they deserve our sympathy and a win here and there.

:tomatoaward

SoxFan78
04-27-2005, 10:12 AM
One loss in April does not ruin a season. But im getting sick of Dye "hitting it hard" but still making outs, and killing us in the outfield. Bad day at the plate, fine, make it up at the field. Dont kill us on both sides of the ball.

He better get out of his funk really soon.

Ol' No. 2
04-27-2005, 10:18 AM
Ozuna was hit in the hand with a Pitch by wild Oakland pitching.
Marte didnt really balk ......... was a bad call per Hawk and DJ. Hawk
was very angry at the bad umpiring last nite ........ said the umps tied the
game for the A's with that poor call. batter stepped out of batters box. Runner was Clearly OUT last nite on Pods throw,
again Missed Call allowing the A's to tie game earlier. Umps clearly
werent going to let the SOX win this game ......anything close was going A's
way .........The balk rule says you must step off BEFORE you separate your hands. Marte seemed to have stepped off a fraction of a second before separating his hands, but when you try to cut it that close you're going to get called on it 90% of the time. This one was sloppy from beginning to end. Neither team deserved to win, but the rules say someone has to.

The Racehorse
04-27-2005, 10:22 AM
Originally Posted by The Racehorse

'sopab'SKJDV

***?????????

Yeah, that about sums it up. There was no aspect of this game that wasn't ugly, that goes for both teams and the umpires.

Tommorrow should be better.

Last night was horrible.

What made last night's 'bad' loss worse than the third Cleveland game [which was a 'tough' loss - big difference] was that the SOX were physically getting banged up in the process... Uribe & Ozuna are now added to the list of walking wounded that includes, Iguchi [per Hawk], A.J., Hermanson and Pods. SS is the one position where the SOX lack depth... @#$%TFFA!

While Buehrle is entitled to an off night on the mound, giving the other team five outs per inning is horse****.

Hopefully the SOX bats can keep it going against this RHP Saarloose guy and his 6.30 ERA

LVSoxFan
04-27-2005, 10:23 AM
Oh for God's sake people we lost one finally--in one of the most messed up games I've seen in years. What, we want to panic now? Fact is, despite Buehrle's off performance, we still managed to keep in it--and even lead it--until some crappy ump calls and some inexplicable errors tanked it.

While the pitching and D sucked--which is why we lost, because that's what we're built on--don't forget we managed to rock Mr. 0.44 ERA for seven runs. So much for our non-existent offense. Even Dye had a double, and once again, Rowand and Iguchi and Pods are making clutch hits.

We could have pulled this one out, but the night was just one of the more bizarre I've seen. That call at the plate on Pods' throw was bad, and where in God's name did the ump see a balk with Marte?

When Dye dropped the fly ball, you knew it wasn't our night. When Willie let the grounder go between his legs, you knew we weren't getting out of this one.

File it. One loss. If we take two out of three in Oakland with this banged-up, road-weary team--that's outstanding, compared to past years!

Only 141 games to go. We've played 13% of our season. I wouldn't be making any "turning point" predictions just yet.

Flight #24
04-27-2005, 10:25 AM

In Jermaine's defense, he hit the ball pretty hard last night. He keeps that up and he's going to be fine, they'll start to fall in. However there is no defense for his mental errors.

The good news: between horrific umping, horrific defense, ridiculous injuries, and an extremely uncharacteristic performance by Buehrle, we were still close with numerous chances to win on the road in our own personal house of horrors.

Let's hope we used up all that bad karma last night, and get back on track this afternoon!

By the way - anyone else think Willie Harris just sealed his fate when Frank comes back? It was likely that he'd get sent down before, it's virtually guaranteed now.

balke
04-27-2005, 10:26 AM
I don't know if saying they hit a wall, or that Buehrle sucks on the road is necessary.

Buehrle has been giving up runs when the D misses big plays late. He shoudn't have been charged all the runs last night, the score keeper was just smoking crack.

The Twins game had 3 runs late that were questionable as well as far as how they were earned. Mark had Rich Harden beat all night til things went weird with injuries. The difference between Harris at short, and Uribe at short is exponential.

The "infield single" that scored a run because it dribbled into the outfield was an out if Uribe was in the game.

Hitting a wall is a bit far fetched too. They have injury problems, that's when everything went sour, when we had a full team of B teamers in. The rest will still help, but I wouldn't blame fatique. I'm sure the team will have longer stretches of games played than that.

Let me again mention Tony G sucks. I just want my Uribe and Ozuna healthy.

Hangar18
04-27-2005, 10:26 AM
. Well, could Everett do worse than Dye's drop of a routine fly out last night?
Dye is making his way into Sox fans' dog house... :angry:

Heh heh, hes been in my Doghouse since game 3 of the season. Sure, most mocked me and said it was way too early, but hes won us one game, helped keep a rally going to win another game, and cost us 2 games now.
He finally looked like he was swinging the bat better last nite ......making solid
contact on a couple outs ........ He COST us TWICE last nite ......
overthrowing the cutoff man, allowing 2nd and 3rd and setting up that first rally for the A's. Then him dropping the potential 2nd out was huge ........
got that crazy A's crowd going ........ Marte was visibly upset and started getting wild and overthrowing the next batter, promptly WALKING him,
so 1st and 2nd , and one out ......... I knew we were going down after that.
I know we have noone else to put out there ..............
but Let the Jermaine Dye Experiment end soon!

balke
04-27-2005, 10:33 AM
Heh heh, hes been in my Doghouse since game 3 of the season. Sure, most mocked me and said it was way too early, but hes won us one game, helped keep a rally going to win another game, and cost us 2 games now.

3 games into the season IS way too early. I was furious with Dye after the Garcia start v. Seattle, and even more so last night on a Valentinesque dropped flyball. He's got some serious making up to do for his team in the next 10 games. If he can't turn his BA into something respectable, and stop making errors, we need to consider bringing up a minor leaguer, and dumping dye midseason.

Considering his contract situation, it would do everyone a favor if he just started playing baseball, and stopped looking like he was asleep out in the field every game. And one web gem, doesn't make up for a dropped flyball.

Hangar18
04-27-2005, 10:39 AM
Buehrle has been giving up runs when the D misses big plays late. He shoudn't have been charged all the runs last night, the score keeper was just smoking crack.

The "infield single" that scored a run because it dribbled into the outfield was an out if Uribe was in the game.

Thats what was brutal about the game. Scorekeeper was generous with his scoring, the umps missed THREE CALLS all of which led to A's Runs and kept rallies going ......... Defense horrible both teams ........ (scutaro muffs easy grounder, sox get credited with single) Buehrle gave up a lot of hits
and was able to squeeze his way out with double-plays, but he wasnt ON
last nite, but a winnable game for sure. Jermaine Dye and the Umpires lost us that game, and I wonder why Umpires arent accountable for anything.
If we lose the division by 1 game ..............:angry:

LVSoxFan
04-27-2005, 10:46 AM
Look, a mess all around.

But a win today, and this thread dies, LOL. Hopefully Freddy can reinstate his always-wins-in-the-daytime record.

Last night was game we'll always want to--and should--forget.

The only thing that concerns me is Uribe's and Ozuna's health. And Contreras. Please God no injuries to derail the season!

balke
04-27-2005, 10:48 AM
last night, they just aimed for the left side of the infield and scored. That could happen again tonight. I fear for Freddy, but am hopeful for a win.

Ol' No. 2
04-27-2005, 11:10 AM
Look at it this way. Every player plays like crap sometimes. Sometimes the breaks don't go your way. It's better to pile all of it into one game. Get 'em today.

Rudy Law
04-27-2005, 11:29 AM
Worst. Game. Ever.

Lets not go that far just yet....If they lose today it will be their 1ST losing streak and they will have a day off at the perect....Games like this happen...If they can bounce back from the 3HRs by Cleveland, I have faith they can do the same from this

BigEdWalsh
04-27-2005, 11:31 AM
worst game evah. kenny please trade willie for tony g. we need him back

I liked things about Tony G. but I don't want him back. I never liked him defensively, especially at SS and 3rd. I do agree that Willie is pretty much totally useless. He sucks defensively, pretty much can only play 2b (and Gooch is way better). He's fast but can't steal bases. He has no power whatsoever. In short, he sucks.

I didn't watch or listen to the game but followed it live on Yahoo, so I know nothing about how bad the umpiring was. But, Dye dropping a popup?! My patience is wearing thin with Jermaine, though I think it's just a bit early to give up on him.

I said it last year and I'll say it again. Enough already with the stupid The Sky Is Falling know-it-all sarcasm. Because many bitch and moan about a loss does NOT mean we think the sky is falling. We are not Cub fans and are bright enough to know that it's April and all is not lost. We just don't like to lose. We don't think losing is cute. We know tomorrow is another day. Let us complain about a game that the Sox blew. Every single time someone complains about a performance out comes that Sky Is Falling crap. I get sick of it. I doubt very much that the Sox were very happy about last nights game. Hopefully they didn't moan and bitch about it but we're fans and we can do that, and will when a game sucks.
:)

CHISOXFAN13
04-27-2005, 11:33 AM
Trading for Tony would be a great idea. We need a guy who can play all the IF piositions if anyone's gonna be out for an extended period.

Can we please stop with the trade for Graffanino stuff? I'm not sure why people want a guy hitting .226 with a .933 fielding percentage.

That doesn't exactly help.

Frater Perdurabo
04-27-2005, 11:37 AM
I said it last year and I'll say it again. Enough already with the stupid The Sky Is Falling know-it-all sarcasm. Because many bitch and moan about a loss does NOT mean we think the sky is falling. We are not Cub fans and are bright enough to know that it's April and all is not lost. We just don't like to lose. We don't think losing is cute. We know tomorrow is another day. Let us complain about a game that the Sox blew. Every single time someone complains about a performance out comes that Sky Is Falling crap. I get sick of it. I doubt very much that the Sox were very happy about last nights game. Hopefully they didn't moan and bitch about it but we're fans and we can do that, and will when a game sucks.

Excellent Post! We are Sox fans and we frigging hate to lose! Let us vent! :angry:

balke
04-27-2005, 11:43 AM
Can we please stop with the trade for Graffanino stuff? I'm not sure why people want a guy hitting .226 with a .933 fielding percentage.

Better post, the fans do need to vent after games. They don't need to get crazy in the clubhouse, with trade ideas for Tony G. though.

tlebar318
04-27-2005, 11:55 AM
This just in....Roberto Alomar has come out of retirement and the Sox have released Harris! :D:

kittle42
04-27-2005, 12:32 PM

Wanna know what causes the Tony G. Syndrome? The same ill-placed love of Kelly Wunsch.

ode to veeck
04-27-2005, 12:34 PM

Get a grip!, there's many months of baseball ahead

Brian26
04-27-2005, 12:54 PM
I know we have noone else to put out there ..............
but Let the Jermaine Dye Experiment end soon!

I think Sweet Spot can get it together, but I sure as hell don't appreciate his loafing down to first base anytime he hits a groundball. His lack of hustle in the past few games has been disgustingly obvious.

MisterB
04-27-2005, 02:57 PM
Not that it matters much now, but on the front of the sports section of the Oakland Tribune is photographic proof that the Sox got jobbed on that call at the plate. Notice Widger applying the tag to Kotsay's leg and his foot clearly blocking the plate.

Unregistered
04-27-2005, 02:58 PM
Not that it matters much now, but on the front of the sports section of the Oakland Tribune is photographic proof that the Sox got jobbed on that call at the plate. Notice Widger applying the tag to Kotsay's leg and his foot clearly blocking the plate.Man, that pisses me off. If that call is made, it's a completely different game.