PDA

View Full Version : maggs out 2-3 month

irish rover
04-26-2005, 06:23 PM
just reported on am 1000, maggs to under go the knife for hernia out 2-3 months

StockdaleForVeep
04-26-2005, 06:26 PM
just reported on am 1000, maggs to under go the knife for hernia out 2-3 months

This mean he off detroit due to his contract about the DL limit?

irish rover
04-26-2005, 06:27 PM

I think it was specific to his knee

SOXSINCE'70
04-26-2005, 06:28 PM
Is KW a genius or what??:roflmao: :roflmao:

StockdaleForVeep
04-26-2005, 06:29 PM
I think it was specific to his knee

I thought it was dl specific but i could be wrong

Because how could they determine if knee or not, his knee could be shot now but needs rest so now he comes up with a hernia issue

SOX ADDICT '73
04-26-2005, 06:31 PM
Probably not, since the Tigers aren't aware that it's a herniated knee.

Was the "finishes the season on the DL" out-clause ever confirmed? I can't imagine Bor-ass would've allowed that. Theoretically, Maggs could've played all but the final week of the season, gotten beaned in the head or something, and if the Tigers wanted out of his contract for any reason (buyer's remorse?), they could void it just like that.

irish rover
04-26-2005, 06:34 PM
for some reason I thought I heard that if he went on the DL for the knee he was out, otherwise okay

I think they brought his up on the score and they had stated it was knee specific

SOX ADDICT '73
04-26-2005, 06:37 PM
:KW = Genius

:borass: = Evil Genius

Fenway
04-26-2005, 06:44 PM
This is bizzare

Mags was almost traded for Nomar last year and now they will both be in Philadelphia tomorrow being operated by the same doctor :o:

(Nomar)
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2046397
"Decision was made during today's game after coming back and talking to the doctors," Garciaparra said Monday. "It's going to be a minor procedure.

"When you do something like this, it's not just the tendon, there's other tissues that often get damaged when you have something this extreme," he said.

The surgery will be performed in Philadelphia by Dr. William C. Meyers.

(Mags)
Ordonez, who signed a $75 million, five-year contract with Detroit during the offseason, will be operated on by Dr. Bill Meyers on Wednesday in Philadelphia. The Tigers had estimated Friday that the four-time All-Star would miss at least four to six weeks, but they increased their estimate Tuesday to eight to 12 weeks.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2047005

Ol' No. 2
04-26-2005, 06:47 PM

Was the "finishes the season on the DL" out-clause ever confirmed? I can't imagine Bor-ass would've allowed that. Theoretically, Maggs could've played all but the final week of the season, gotten beaned in the head or something, and if the Tigers wanted out of his contract for any reason (buyer's remorse?), they could void it just like that.I think that clause is also applies only to the knee.

soltrain21
04-26-2005, 06:51 PM
This is turning out to be quite the knee-slapper. Well for us, anyways. Maggs might not want to slap his knee, it might fall off.

samram
04-26-2005, 06:52 PM
You know, I think there should be a thread stuck outlining the clauses in Maggs' contract, so everyone knows what the terms are. It's knee specific, by the way.

Ol' No. 2
04-26-2005, 06:53 PM
This is turning out to be quite the knee-slapper. Well for us, anyways. Maggs might not want to slap his knee, it might fall off.LOL!
:kneeslap: OWWWW!

akingamongstmen
04-26-2005, 07:02 PM
I'm actually beyond the point of gloating over this. It just makes me sad for him. You've gotta admit that he played hard for us over the last few years. I do hope that he gets better eventually.

Hagan
04-26-2005, 07:03 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2047005

With his hernia surgery and his viral infection he should miss 2-3 months. I am so happy he didn't want to sign with us.

Ol' No. 2
04-26-2005, 07:11 PM
Three months puts him coming back the end of July. By then his knee will have recuperated. He'll have to gut it out for those last two months. (Assuming he doesn't go down with a dislocated uvula or something.)

cheeses_h_rice
04-26-2005, 07:25 PM
Wow, life sucks if you're a) the Detroit Tigers, b) a Detroit Tigers fan, or c) the Detroit Tigers' insurance company.

OzzieFan
04-26-2005, 07:33 PM
This just announced on ESPN by Dan Patrick Magglio Ordonez will be out 2-3 months with hernia surgery. Wow..... The gods are on our side!!!

chisoxfanatic
04-26-2005, 07:46 PM
Ohh, darn...I was hoping to see a brawl between Ozzie and Maggs at home plate in the near future.

BRDSR
04-26-2005, 07:52 PM
Wow. I'm amazed that Mags is so intent on making this all look real that he'll go ahead with hernia surgery just to cover up the fact that his knee is no good. Actually, I'm not really surprised. He's probably paying off the Tigers trainer and this hernia surgeon to do the work. If it costs him $1 mil to pay them off he still comes out up $13 mil on the year.

If there was a color halfway between black and teal, I'd use it. I'm not being totally sarcastic. It's quite a coincedence that he's had so many non-baseball related injuries to start this season.

TornLabrum
04-26-2005, 08:38 PM
2-3 months for a hernia? I had a hernia and was told to not do anything for 6 weeks. After that I could do anything I wanted. Interesting....

RKMeibalane
04-26-2005, 09:06 PM
OurBitchinMinny probably thinks WSI is responsible for Maggs being injured. I'm waiting for him to show up here and accuse someone of pulling a Tanya Harding stunt.

hose
04-26-2005, 09:39 PM
Look for Dave Dombrowski to take the bull by the horns and hire Jeff Gillooly to mastermind a covert operation using Shane Stant to club Ordonez's knee and putting Maggs on the DL with a knee problem , thus voiding the contract.

Dombrowski, " Gillooly you #@!@# idiot it was the left knee not the right."

fquaye149
04-26-2005, 09:42 PM
Is KW a genius or what??:roflmao: :roflmao:

teal police.

someone else post the damn tag.

Foulke29
04-27-2005, 12:36 AM
I'm actually beyond the point of gloating over this. It just makes me sad for him. You've gotta admit that he played hard for us over the last few years. I do hope that he gets better eventually.

I have to admit nothing - I hope he's done for good to be quite honest. It's not sour grapes - it's about deception, and you know what - when you're dishonest and you deceive the way he did, Instant Karma's gonna get you - and now this hernia thing is just par for the course.

Foulke29
04-27-2005, 12:41 AM
Three months puts him coming back the end of July. By then his knee will have recuperated. He'll have to gut it out for those last two months. (Assuming he doesn't go down with a dislocated uvula or something.)

Actually, I heard that he's having a cist removed from his ovaries in July - he could miss another 6 to 8 weeks.

Lip Man 1
04-27-2005, 01:47 AM
From everything I have read in the newspapers there are two clauses in Maggs deal.

1. Detroit can void the contract if he spends 25 days or more on the DL with an injury specific to that repaired knee.

2. He is on the DL at the end of the season. (I don't know if that applies to a knee injury or ANY injury of any kind at the end of the year.)

Lip

doublem23
04-27-2005, 01:49 AM
Then I would expect to see Boras and Maggs pressing Detroit to get their star right feilder back just in time for their critical September push for the post-season.

:rolleyes:

:borass:
After all guys, we're here to win.

Baby Fisk
04-27-2005, 10:09 AM
Tiger fans discuss the situation: linky (http://www.motownsports.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=26964)

Flight #24
04-27-2005, 10:14 AM
Anyone think maybe while he's under the anesthetic Dombrowski's put in a request to have the knee scoped?

Flight #24
04-27-2005, 10:15 AM
From everything I have read in the newspapers there are two clauses in Maggs deal.

1. Detroit can void the contract if he spends 25 days or more on the DL with an injury specific to that repaired knee.

2. He is on the DL at the end of the season. (I don't know if that applies to a knee injury or ANY injury of any kind at the end of the year.)

Lip

I believe Will Carroll of BP has been quoted as saying that he's confirmed the end of season DL clause is also knee-specific. Take it FWIW.

Tekijawa
04-27-2005, 10:26 AM
Man, after months of straining himself since signing that contract it's good to see that Maggs and Boras's plan is starting to fall into place!

ondafarm
04-27-2005, 10:34 AM

Was the "finishes the season on the DL" out-clause ever confirmed? I can't imagine Bor-ass would've allowed that. Theoretically, Maggs could've played all but the final week of the season, gotten beaned in the head or something, and if the Tigers wanted out of his contract for any reason (buyer's remorse?), they could void it just like that.

I think if he'd played the entire season and gotten knocked into a coma for the last week of the season, the Tigers would have been very happy with his performance and not wanted out of the contract. Besides, once the roster goes to 40 men, there's little excuse to put a marginally available player on the DL.

The Racehorse
04-27-2005, 12:43 PM
Jim Rome just mentioned Maggs being out... Rome said Detroit has terrible luck after signing Maggs to that tremendous contract... then said Ozzie Guillen won't be shedding any tears and will probably send Maggs a get well fax to him.

StockdaleForVeep
04-27-2005, 01:11 PM
I guess this will give magz more time to lay in bed and write more memos about ozzie

MHOUSE
04-28-2005, 05:26 AM
I wish Maggs the best. He served the White Sox admirably for many years and we loved him even though it ended on a down note because of that injury. We didn't take a chance on him after that, the Tigers did so the ball is in their court. I'm not going to say I'd like to see him hitting .300 30 HR and 100 RBI for a division rival, but I feel bad for the guy.