PDA

View Full Version : The Get Up guy

I want Mags back
04-26-2005, 05:56 PM
I was riding home from school today and I saw this Silver Toyota Tacoma covered in Sox decals. I look down and his lincense plate was GET UP.
So my ?'s is

1. Does the Get up Guy still do his thing, like he had back around '00. I haven't seen him on TV for years

2. Does any one know if he lives some where in the Homewood-Flossmoor Area.

tromcoe
04-26-2005, 07:32 PM
I believe that he lives or lived down in manteno or manhattan somewhere down I 57. He has been on and off at the ball games the last couple years. I met him and he really is a great guy (name is Dan). You can still hear him at some away games he goes to.

Brian26
04-26-2005, 08:55 PM
Wasn't there a story a couple years back....some fans around him at the park basically told him to knock off the schtick as it was getting stale and annoying at the same time. Then the Sox organization actually put the kay-bash on his tactics with a visit one night. My memory is a little fuzzy on this. Also, he wanted free tickets or something, and the Sox said no way...so he got mad and quit doing his act.

IlliniSox
04-26-2005, 09:05 PM
Wasn't there a story a couple years back....some fans around him at the park basically told him to knock off the schtick as it was getting stale and annoying at the same time. Then the Sox organization actually put the kay-bash on his tactics with a visit one night. My memory is a little fuzzy on this. Also, he wanted free tickets or something, and the Sox said no way...so he got mad and quit doing his act.

I'll never forget him showing up in the locker room at the Metrodome after they clinched in 2000. He was getting interviewed by FSN and I believe it was Konerko who doused him in champaign. The reporter was trying to figure out how he got in there.

CubKilla
04-26-2005, 11:45 PM
Wasn't there a story a couple years back....some fans around him at the park basically told him to knock off the schtick as it was getting stale and annoying at the same time. Then the Sox organization actually put the kay-bash on his tactics with a visit one night.

All true. I've met and hung with Dan on many an occasion. Great guy. Always willing to lend a hand or help out if you're a Sox fan.

batmanZoSo
04-27-2005, 07:23 PM
I was riding home from school today and I saw this Silver Toyota Tacoma covered in Sox decals. I look down and his lincense plate was GET UP.
So my ?'s is

1. Does the Get up Guy still do his thing, like he had back around '00. I haven't seen him on TV for years

2. Does any one know if he lives some where in the Homewood-Flossmoor Area.

I see you're from Flossmoor. He drove right next to me in front of Marian High School about a year ago. I was not surprised that guy was from the Chicago Heights area.

RedPinStripes
04-27-2005, 10:06 PM

I don't know where you got the part about wanting free tickets and fans getting pissed.

maurice
04-28-2005, 05:31 PM
People who know him personally have said nothing but good things . . . but he was a total tool when he posted here.

faneidde
04-28-2005, 07:00 PM
What is the story of this guy. I am not familiar with him at all.

Wsoxmike59
04-28-2005, 07:17 PM

It was about a month ago and I was in traffic behind him at a light at 159th & Harlem and I told the wife "Hey, that's the Get Up Guy!"

She laughed and said isn't that the fan who got famous for yelling Get Up!! I replied "Yeah....Kinda like Dancin' Homer on the episode of the Simpsons"

SpammySosa
04-28-2005, 07:22 PM
I don't know where you got the part about wanting free tickets and fans getting pissed.

That sounds more like Andy the Clown.

jeremyb1
04-28-2005, 07:54 PM
Once upon a time his wife was one of my teachers at Homewood Floosmoor High School so it sounds like a good bet.

I want Mags back
04-28-2005, 09:39 PM
I saw him again today coming out of Heather Hill. I'm doubting hes from Manhattan or Manteno, just because I seeing around here so much all of a sudden.

DannyCaterFan
04-28-2005, 10:41 PM
I still see Dan at games all the time, and can occasionally hear :bandance: him doing his thing at selected road games. I believe he lives in Monee, as he is a neighbor of mine.

tromcoe
04-29-2005, 09:43 AM
I saw him again today coming out of Heather Hill. I'm doubting hes from Manhattan or Manteno, just because I seeing around here so much all of a sudden.

He may work out there then. I believe he is a Sheriffs Deputy for Will County

SouthSideHitman
04-29-2005, 09:57 AM
Once upon a time his wife was one of my teachers at Homewood Floosmoor High School so it sounds like a good bet.

Hey Jeremy, I didn't know you were a WSIer!

Yeah, you kinda stole my thunder, I know his wife too and I talked with her about it once a couple of years ago, she said that he loved doing it but that he met with too much resistance from the White Sox higher-ups and decided to give it up, IIRC.

I would think that Brooks Boyer would be far more open to the Get Up Guy's antics than the 00 management, but I dunno.

32nd&Wallace
05-17-2005, 03:51 PM
Remember the Get-Up Guy? Pretty visible person in the 2000 season. He was even interviewed in the Twins clubhouse when the Sox clinched. Where has he gone?

batmanZoSo
05-17-2005, 03:56 PM
He called in and talked with J. Hood a few days ago. I don't know exactly what happened, but when this was discussed here recently, I gathered that his schtick was unappreciated so he stepped down a bit.

mweflen
05-17-2005, 04:01 PM
He annoyed me. Just like "Sox Fans, On Your Feet!" annoys me. I'm glad he no longer does his schtick. I am a lively and energetic fan, but I'll reserve the right to "get up" when I damn well please.

Jerko
05-17-2005, 04:10 PM
Maybe M&M jacket guy ate him.

mweflen
05-17-2005, 04:14 PM
speaking of, where is M&M guy?

batmanZoSo
05-17-2005, 04:23 PM
I never even saw the M&M guy. I just don't pay attention to what's going on behind home plate. Guess I'm just into the game at hand.

mweflen
05-17-2005, 04:25 PM
The bright yellow m&m jacket was pretty hard to miss, Mr. I'm-into-the-game-way-more-than-all-of-YOU :tongue::tongue::tongue:

batmanZoSo
05-17-2005, 04:40 PM
The bright yellow m&m jacket was pretty hard to miss, Mr. I'm-into-the-game-way-more-than-all-of-YOU :tongue::tongue::tongue:

Heh, heh, heh. I'm not criticizing anyone, I'm just surprised that I never noticed that because everyone always talks about it. I'm like Joe DiMaggio on Seinfeld eating donuts and drinking coffee, so intense and focused that he doesn't even notice Kramer's yelping noises. I watch baseball with that kind of intensity. :cool:

dickallen15
05-17-2005, 05:42 PM
The get up guy was at the Wednesday afternoon game against the Royals a couple of weeks ago. He was behind the plate off to the visitor's side a little bit, about 20 rows back. He was going through his routine.

steff
05-17-2005, 06:07 PM

Some Sox wives got pissed at him and asked the Sox to ask him to tone it down. As for the free tickets I don't think that's correct at all.. I don't know Dan that well at all but I seriously doubt he would be the type to try to freeload.

I just saw him at Mark's last start so he's around still.

Infallible
05-17-2005, 06:13 PM
I seen a "Get Up" guy one time in a movie flick.....in the backround there was this music playing "bow chicka bah wah".....I doubt its the same.