About time....linky?

pdimas
04-26-2005, 01:58 PM
oops sorry here ya go:

http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/story/8420994

Ol' No. 2
04-26-2005, 02:05 PM
Ooohhhh...here's the best part:
Cuban-Yankee imports Orlando Hernandez and Jose Contreras are making the hay in the middle of the rotation, leaving the big-budget Yankees (No. 15 in the rankings) awfully jealous of the mileage the White Sox are getting out the relative bargains compared to the $100 million rotation of Kevin Brown, Jaret Wright and company.

MIgrenade
04-26-2005, 02:15 PM
Inconsistant bullpen? Not recently.

SpringfldFan
04-26-2005, 02:16 PM
CBS seems to be scratching its heads over it all. It is kind of humorous how, between the lines, they are trying to apologize for the ranking:

We're not sure how far their pitching, defense and winning streak will carry them, but Eric Mack says these White Sox just cannot be denied in our Power Rankings.

Not exactly a sure-fire way to turn an 83-win ballclub into one of baseball's beasts. But it is the age-old adage -- pitching wins -- that is carrying the White Sox

Guillen and company have mastered the close-to-the-vest play, but time will tell if it will finally catch up to them once the weather and bats heat up in Chicago.

pdimas
04-26-2005, 02:17 PM
Check this out from an SI article talking about the Yanks problems and you can almost picture the Yanks management grinding their teeth. I pasted the part where they talk about the Yanks starting rotation:

It was 6-8 with a 5.32 ERA, the third-worst ERA by any rotation in baseball.
It went 11 straight games without a quality start, the first time in franchise history since earned runs were differentiated from unearned runs in 1917, according to the Elias Sports Bureau.

It was the easiest rotation to hit in baseball, with a .316 batting average against.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writers/tom_verducci/04/26/yankees.old/index.html

Dibbs
04-26-2005, 02:22 PM
I guess I just don't understand power rankings. Aren't the standings the power rankings? It is almost like someone is making up there own standings?!?

Fungo
04-26-2005, 02:23 PM
My personal favorite of the rankings...

Detroit
A sweep of the Twins has this team believing it can compete even without Magglio Ordonez.

That makes 2 of us.

Ol' No. 2
04-26-2005, 02:32 PM
I guess I just don't understand power rankings. Aren't the standings the power rankings? It is almost like someone is making up there own standings?!?Sounds to me like you understand power rankings perfectly.:cool:

batmanZoSo
04-26-2005, 02:32 PM
My personal favorite of the rankings...

That makes 2 of us.

Yeah, I wasn't sure until that quote. :rolleyes:

I never thought for a second we'd miss Magglio or Lee.

SpringfldFan
04-26-2005, 02:44 PM
I guess I just don't understand power rankings. Aren't the standings the power rankings? It is almost like someone is making up there own standings?!?

To be honest, I don't understand the logic either. It is just an attempt to create a rankings poll for MLB just like they do for college sports. However, with college sports, the rankings list the elite few teams of a sample of hundreds and it can be valuable by comparing teams who usually never play eachother. In pro sports all the teams play eachother already (AL/NL nothwithstanding) so records already give you a comparison.

SFF

Scotty347
04-26-2005, 02:48 PM
To be honest, I don't understand the logic either. It is just an attempt to create a rankings poll for MLB just like they do for college sports. However, with college sports, the rankings list the elite few teams of a sample of hundreds and it can be valuable by comparing teams who usually never play eachother. In pro sports all the teams play eachother already (AL/NL nothwithstanding) so records already give you a comparison.

SFF

I love the power rankings, especially when the Sox are #1. Its a fun way to measure all the teams and include other things into the equation besides Win/Loss record.

SpringfldFan
04-26-2005, 03:00 PM
I love the power rankings, especially when the Sox are #1. Its a fun way to measure all the teams and include other things into the equation besides Win/Loss record.

Don't get me wrong, they are fun to read I like to look at them too (and I won't ever turn a blind eye to anything listing the Sox as #1). It is just hard for me to pinpoint what they are supposed to really be ranking. Are they thinking the top team is most likely to win the WS in their eyes, or is the top team simply the hottest teamat that moment in their eyes ?

SFF

mikehuff
04-26-2005, 03:04 PM
Are they thinking the top team is most likely to win the WS in their eyes, or is the top team simply the hottest teamat that moment in their eyes ?

SFF

It's a combination of everything. If the Devil Rays have won 10 in a row, but are 17-55 they aren't going to be ranked up high. Combine record, recent play, expectations and media bias and you'll come up with what they got.
The Sox are playing so well that it overrides the media bias and expectations elements of this equation.

Dibbs
04-26-2005, 04:45 PM
I liked stuff like that when I was young because I thought it meant something. If it was on TV or in the paper, I thought it had to be true. I am going on 30 now and have realized for some time that it is just some schmuck's opinion....who has no more knowledge than any decent fan.