PDA

View Full Version : Is RPI a relevant stat for baseball

na_na_na_na
04-26-2005, 02:46 PM
Just saw this over at espn http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/stats/rpi the sox are the leaders in RPI right now. Not sure how relevent this is but there it also shows the strength of schedule which is 10th.

Ol' No. 2
04-26-2005, 02:49 PM
Just saw this over at espn http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/stats/rpi the sox are the leaders in RPI right now. Not sure how relevent this is but there it also shows the strength of schedule which is 10th.I don't know how much stock I put in SOS when teams have pretty much just played other teams in their own division. I like the fact that the Sox are 3 games ABOVE their Pythagorean W-L for a change.:smile:

faneidde
04-26-2005, 02:50 PM
Strength of Schedule is much more relevant early in the season that RPI. The fact that the Sox are 16-4, but their opponents still have a winning percentage over .500 only 20 games into the season is amazing.

Flight #24
04-26-2005, 02:50 PM
Shouldn't RPI be relevant in ranking it's original target, NCAA teams before we try to move it over to baseball? I think Kansas is STILL ranked #1 in RPI......

jabrch
04-26-2005, 02:52 PM
RPI sucks for any sport. You can't calculate a single number that ranks or evaluates any team with any sort of mathematical surety. It just isn't possible. Calculator heads have yet to figure this out.

voodoochile
04-26-2005, 02:53 PM
I don't know how much stock I put in SOS when teams have pretty much just played other teams in their own division. I like the fact that the Sox are 3 games ABOVE their Pythagorean W-L for a change.:smile:

Isn't that the whole point to going back to the unbalanced schedule? I mean they used to play every team either 13 or 12 times a year and no inter-league matchups. Now you face every team in your division 17-18 times a season so that the winner of the division earns it mostly against the teams in that division.

SOS means squat under those circumstances because if you play in the ALE, you probably have to play a tougher schedule most years than teams from the ALC or ALW do, but stand the exact same chance to make the playoffs as those teams from other divisions do.

The Sox are beating the teams they most want to beat and beating them regularly. That is the only stat that matters.

mikehuff
04-26-2005, 03:43 PM
If you are basing the strength of schedule on how these good these guys think the teams are, then most likely all of the Sox opponents would have a weak schedule, because they expected us to be crap.