PDA

View Full Version : Red Sox/Yankees/AL West watching White Sox

Fenway
04-26-2005, 02:20 PM
As my friends in New York would always tell me "It's Only April!" but

The White Sox being 12 over .500 already in April have already got teams in the East and West doing serious wild card math.

Before you say "we don't want no stinking wild card" in the long run winning the division only allows teams to sell hats and shirts that say division champs and get at least home field in the first round of the playoffs. The last 3 years have proven that is not worth very much.

Right now the Twins and Red Sox are tied for the WC , the Yankees 2 1/2 behind. More important the White Sox have a FIVE game lead on everybody.

Now it is no longer a given that the WC will come from the East or West.
http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/standings/wildcard

The White Sox are so far doing what I said they needed to do, beat up on Cleveland, Detroit and KC and hold their own against the Twins ( winning 4 of 5 certainly is as good as Chicago could hope for )

Now they have won that first game in Oakland which has been been the South Side graveyeard. Yes it is April, but things really look good for the boys of 35th St.

gosox41
04-26-2005, 03:22 PM

The White Sox being 12 over .500 already in April have already got teams in the East and West doing serious wild card math.

Before you say "we don't want no stinking wild card" in the long run winning the division only allows teams to sell hats and shirts that say division champs and get at least home field in the first round of the playoffs. The last 3 years have proven that is not worth very much.

Right now the Twins and Red Sox are tied for the WC , the Yankees 2 1/2 behind. More important the White Sox have a FIVE game lead on everybody.

The White Sox are so far doing what I said they needed to do, beat up on Cleveland, Detroit and KC and hold their own against the Twins ( winning 4 of 5 certainly is as good as Chicago could hope for )

Now they have won that first game in Oakland which has been been the South Side graveyeard. Yes it is April, but things really look good for the boys of 35th St.

It's too early for all this. The Sox aren't going to play .800 ball and there's so much time left that any division is wide open for most teams. Is anyone counting the Yankees out?

Bob

The Racehorse
04-26-2005, 03:35 PM
Is anyone counting the Yankees out?

Yes, I am.

The Yankees are a paper tiger. They might have enough glue to keep it together for a run at the playoffs this year, but that's it. They're an old team that's getting older by the second... and they have abso-freakin'-lutely nothing in their farm system.

As for buying anymore titles, King George can always go after Maggs and Nomar after they're let go at season's end for not meeting the demands of their respective incentive-laden contracts.

Fenway
04-26-2005, 03:37 PM
It's too early for all this. The Sox aren't going to play .800 ball and there's so much time left that any division is wide open for most teams. Is anyone counting the Yankees out?

Bob

No but if Cleveland totally tanks along with Detroit, it will be easier for the Twins and White Sox to pick up wins than Boston and New York against Toronto and especially Baltimore. Throw in the fact the Royals are probably worse than Tampa Bay so it gives both the Twins and White Sox a chance to pick up some easier wins.

To make the playoffs a team needs to win somewhere between 90-100, the magic number changes from year to year.

The only thing we know for certain is both Boston and New York will go all out to improve by July 31. The Yankees will make and all out push for Clemens if Houston is out of it, but so may Boston ( have him end his career where he started )

Roger has to be frustrated right now with 1 win in 4 starts

How well has he pitched?

In 28 innings is ERA is 0.32 with 32 K's and 6 walks

In his one win, the game winning RBI was by HIM

http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/gamecenter/recap/MLB_20050408_CIN@HOU

Baseball is a marathon not a sprint but the White Sox really look solid right now and to be doing this without Frank?

This promises to be one of the most memorable seasons in White Sox history.

batmanZoSo
04-26-2005, 03:48 PM

Beat up on KC, DET and CLE, and hold our own against Minnesota? Not bad, but how does beating the living crap out of all of them and everyone else sound? :wink:

seanpmurphy
04-26-2005, 03:59 PM
Let's not throw words around like "division champs" and "wild card" not even a month into the season. I am tired of this "it's only April" stuff. I'd rather come out of the gate strong as hell than falter and try to play catch up all season. The Sox have handled every team in their division so far, and in my opinion it doesn't matter what month of the season it is, every win counts down the line. It'd be a much different story if we dropped 4 out 5 to Minn. and then in September the same "It's only April" people would be like "Man, well IF you HAD won those games back in April, it'd be different."

Why can't we all just enjoy it while it lasts and hope for the best and not get all ahead of ourselves like Cubs fans?

BridgePortNative
04-26-2005, 04:09 PM
:hawk

"You can't win a division in April, but you sure can lose one."