PDA

View Full Version : Obama=Sox Fan

NardiWasHere
04-26-2005, 01:14 PM
I was flipping thru the channels and started watching Obama on CSPAN, the interviewer's last question was, "Are you a cubs, sox, or nationals fan?"

Obama said he was a Sox fan all the way, but does not root against the Cubs. He also said he dislikes when people say they like both teams and he roots for the Nat's too just cause he's in DC a lot of the time and likes em.

I don't necesarily agree with obama on policy, but how will I resist voting for a Sox Fan?

Baby Fisk
04-26-2005, 01:16 PM
He must have realized that the average Sox fan is more intelligent than the average Cub fan, and thus more likely to register and vote. :cool:

Frater Perdurabo
04-26-2005, 01:16 PM
I too had heard that Obama was a Sox fan. I can't blame him for saying that he does not root against the Cubs; he doesn't want to alienate 90% (according to the Tribune Corp.) of Illinois residents.

Anyone know what team Dick Durbin favors?

irish rover
04-26-2005, 01:17 PM
this maybe old news but I heard Joel Daly on the radio the other day say he was a sox fan too

JoseCanseco6969
04-26-2005, 01:19 PM
I too had heard that Obama was a Sox fan. I can't blame him for saying that he does not root against the Cubs; he doesn't want to alienate 90% (according to the Tribune Corp.) of Illinois residents.

I'm sure that joke is a Cubs fan all the way just like bubbles Blago, who had no shame when alienating Sox fans with his garbage column in sporting news last season.

tebman
04-26-2005, 01:19 PM

Durbin's from the East St. Louis area -- he's probably a Cardinal fan, which is okay by me.

skottyj242
04-26-2005, 01:20 PM
Totally off the topic but at work yesterday someone mentioned that the Discovery Channel is running a special naming the hundred greatest Americans of all time, so we went on the website to see who they were and they had Obama listed as one of them. I thought this was a joke but it was real....now I understand, it's because he's a Sox fan.

Uncle_Patrick
04-26-2005, 01:20 PM
I was flipping thru the channels and started watching Obama on CSPAN, the interviewer's last question was, "Are you a cubs, sox, or nationals fan?"

Obama said he was a Sox fan all the way, but does not root against the Cubs. He also said he dislikes when people say they like both teams and he roots for the Nat's too just cause he's in DC a lot of the time and likes em.

I don't necesarily agree with obama on policy, but how will I resist voting for a Sox Fan?

When Obama was running for office I had read that he was White Sox fan and was enough for me to vote for him (well, not really, but I did vote for him). I like it that he says he doesn't like it when people root for both teams. A true Chicago fan knows you don't root for both teams, even if you don't root against the other team.

Randar68
04-26-2005, 01:26 PM
Totally off the topic but at work yesterday someone mentioned that the Discovery Channel is running a special naming the hundred greatest Americans of all time, so we went on the website to see who they were and they had Obama listed as one of them. I thought this was a joke but it was real....now I understand, it's because he's a Sox fan.

:hijacked:
If you know much about his background, his life, you might understand why, although this early in his life, it might be a bit of a reach, but it's quite the story.

You should read the book he wrote when he graduated from Law school. It's not as much about him individually, although a lot of it comes out in the story, so much as it's a pretty good narration on the african-american struggle for identity in the present day from an insider and an outsider at the same time.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1400082773/qid=1114539835/sr=8-1/ref=pd_csp_1/102-3046994-0673752?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

BTW, he grew up in Hawaii and Indonesia and didn't come to Chicago until his early 20's, IIRC. He did spend most of his time in the south suburbs, though, so that would explain his allegiance to the Sox (if it's really anything other than lipservice, as I don't think he's much of a baseball fan in general).

Charno
04-26-2005, 01:30 PM
It's rather silly to mix baseball and politics. I'm a libertarian, myself.

Fake Chet Lemon
04-26-2005, 01:34 PM

The People's Republic of Illinois is basically a one party system anyway, so it doesn't matter. :D:

minastirith67
:whocares

I could care less about which politician has his 'loyalty' for the Pale Hose. It's not like Congress has any real power over MLB anyway.

Frater Perdurabo
Tread carefully....I don't want to see an otherwise good thread head to the roadhouse because it turned political....

:(:

Flight #24
04-26-2005, 01:38 PM
Obama's spent a lot of his Chicago time living on the south side, most recently in Hyde Park, so it's not at all surprising that he'd lean towards the Sox.

Rocklive99
04-26-2005, 01:40 PM
Look at all these celebrity bandwagoners. Soon the Brady Bunch will be at our games

skottyj242
04-26-2005, 01:42 PM
:hijacked:
If you know much about his background, his life, you might understand why, although this early in his life, it might be a bit of a reach, but it's quite the story.

You should read the book he wrote when he graduated from Law school. It's not as much about him individually, although a lot of it comes out in the story, so much as it's a pretty good narration on the african-american struggle for identity in the present day from an insider and an outsider at the same time.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1400082773/qid=1114539835/sr=8-1/ref=pd_csp_1/102-3046994-0673752?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

BTW, he grew up in Hawaii and Indonesia and didn't come to Chicago until his early 20's, IIRC. He did spend most of his time in the south suburbs, though, so that would explain his allegiance to the Sox (if it's really anything other than lipservice, as I don't think he's much of a baseball fan in general).

Come on....you're not really making an argument that he's one of the 100 greatest Americans.

Frater Perdurabo
04-26-2005, 01:48 PM
I smell roadhouse in 5.......4........3........2.........1...........

irish rover
04-26-2005, 01:48 PM
I smell roadhouse in 5.......4........3........2.........1...........

yes, I do to

Randar68
04-26-2005, 01:56 PM
Come on....you're not really making an argument that he's one of the 100 greatest Americans.

Did you read the whole response?

"If you know much about his background, his life, you might understand why, although this early in his life, it might be a bit of a reach, but it's quite the story."

It's too early in his life to be included in such a list, but if it's a list of living Americans, I'd be inclined to not quetsion his inclusion. His life story is quite remarkable, IMO.

elrod
04-26-2005, 02:18 PM
As a true blue Evanston liberal it's no surprise that I'm a big Obama fan. Him being a White Sox fan is just an extra feather in his cap. BTW, big strike against Blago is his idiotic Cub fan comments. I also couldn't stand it when Hilary sided with the Yankees in the 2000 World Series. Is it possible to root for two more awful teams than the Cubs and Yankees? (I'm indifferent toward Hillary, politically, but her Johnnie-come-lately Yankee support in the Subway Series made me sympathize with Lazio).

Nellie_Fox
04-26-2005, 02:23 PM
If you want to be politically cynical about it, you could argue that Obama has a lot more to gain by claiming to be a Sox fan.

He's going to get the northside yuppie Cubbie fan vote no matter what he does, and he might pick up some blue-collar southside support beyond what he'd get from hard-core union types.

BRDSR
04-26-2005, 02:34 PM
If you want to be politically cynical about it, you could argue that Obama has a lot more to gain by claiming to be a Sox fan.

He's going to get the northside yuppie Cubbie fan vote no matter what he does, and he might pick up some blue-collar southside support beyond what he'd get from hard-core union types.

Ehhh...not so sure about that. The blue-collar urban voter tends to gravitate towards the democrats while blue collar rural voters tends to gravitate towards republicans. The trust-fund, collar-propping, yuppies of the north side and more likely to have more money, maybe an investment account, probably some interest in the Middle east's oil...they're more likely to vote republican. As a democrat in Illinois, all Obama has to do is win the primaries which is only among democrat voters anyway, so this argument is relatively moot, but...I disagree with your original assessment. Props to Obama for his allegience to the Sox. I like that he said that Chicagoans shouldn't root for both teams. Probably not the most ballsy thing he does in politics, but a little ballsy nonetheless.

I see the Roadhouse in this thread's future.