PDA

View Full Version : Which team would you like to see the Sox play more?

ChiSoxRowand
04-26-2005, 12:18 PM
This was the trivia question during the game last night. The Yankees were first in the poll with the Cubs coming in second. What team would you guys like to see the Sox play more? I would like to see them play Milwaukee more often. I went to a Sox-Brewers game at Miller Park in 2001 and it was awesome. I wish we would just play the NL central for interleague every year.

chisoxmike
04-26-2005, 12:22 PM
I saw that too...Yankees? Give me a break! Cubs? Come on, 6 games is enough.

Fungo
04-26-2005, 12:23 PM
Milwaukee. Close enough to Chicago to get up there and see them.

Palehose13
04-26-2005, 12:24 PM
Milwaukee.

1. I get to see more games close to home.
2. It was once an awesome rivalry.
3. Even some of the Brewer fans miss us. :wink:

Baby Fisk
04-26-2005, 12:25 PM
White Sox-Yankees was once, and should be again, a grand rivalry.

Frater Perdurabo
04-26-2005, 12:38 PM
This question reminds me of the following threads. Members who have joined after January may enjoy reading them.

Linky #1 (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=43529&highlight=commissioners+cup)

Linky #2 (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=42616&highlight=commissioners+cup)

In answer to the question, I would like to see the Sox play more Midwest teams in the J.P. Morgan Chase for the Chevrolet Commissioners Cup Tournament, like
St. Louis, Milwaukee and the Cubs, etc. We already get plenty of games against regional rivals Cleveland, Kansas City, Minnesota and Detroit.

I'd also like to see more games against historic AL rivals like the Yankees and Red Sox.

Did anyone mention that we'd get both under the "crazy like a fox" plan that PaleHoseGeorge presented several months ago?

For purely selfish reasons I'd like to see the Sox play the Rangers more, because I would get more Sox games on free TV in the DFW market, and would get to see more Sox games when they come to play in Arlington.

Uncle_Patrick
04-26-2005, 12:38 PM
White Sox-Yankees was once, and should be again, a grand rivalry.

I agree, although I don't think it'll ever be grand again, what with different divisions and all (heck, we have trouble getting people fired up when any of our divisional rivals come to town outside of the Twins, and even that isn't a huge draw). I'd prefer to see more of the AL East and West teams (particularly the Yankees and Red Sox) than the NL teams.

The Racehorse
04-26-2005, 12:41 PM
Within the division, the Twins. Since they're everybody divisional favorites, pummeling them earlier this month was especially sweet.

Outside the division, there should be more general excitement regarding old school matchups when the SOX square off versus Boston or NY... so yeah, I'd like to see more games between them.

Not trying to hijack the thread, but a balanced schedule would be best, imo.

mweflen
04-26-2005, 12:57 PM
I'd prefer more Cubs games to Yankees games. If only because we'd have a better chance of winning (generally speaking). Also, I prefer the sort of festive/riot atmosphere of those games to the smug Yankee fan atmosphere of the NY games.

I second the emotion for Milwaukee. That was one of the great crimes of relignment and the Selig administration. They destroyed a great rivalry - a much more natural one than Cube/Brewers, also, given the working class nature of the fan bases.

mike squires
04-26-2005, 01:15 PM
I have to go with the Yankees. We tend to play well against them and it draws more fans to the ballpark. I almost think 6 games with the Cubs can be too much. I don't get excited like I once did. Maybe I'll be different this year.

jabrch
04-26-2005, 01:19 PM
I'd LOVE more Sox-Cubs games. Sox games are great - but the Sox-Cubs rivalry is so awesome. The only thing better than a Sox win is a Sox win over the Cubs.

Anyone who has been to those games, either at Comiskey or at the Urinal has to love the energy level at the park. The place is sold out - packed to the rafters, and everyone in the park goes nuts on nearly every pitch. I'd take another 6 Sox-Cubs games if they were available.

Sad
04-26-2005, 01:19 PM
Milwaukee... I miss those days...

batmanZoSo
04-26-2005, 01:20 PM
No contest, Tampa Bay.

boiler up
04-26-2005, 01:21 PM
This was the trivia question during the game last night. The Yankees were first in the poll with the Cubs coming in second. What team would you guys like to see the Sox play more? I would like to see them play Milwaukee more often. I went to a Sox-Brewers game at Miller Park in 2001 and it was awesome. I wish we would just play the NL central for interleague every year.

boston

VivaOzzie
04-26-2005, 01:22 PM
The Rockford Peaches...we'd win 100 games easy.:D:

Ol' No. 2
04-26-2005, 01:27 PM
Within the division, the Twins. Since they're everybody divisional favorites, pummeling them earlier this month was especially sweet.

Outside the division, there should be more general excitement regarding old school matchups when the SOX square off versus Boston or NY... so yeah, I'd like to see more games between them.

Not trying to hijack the thread, but a balanced schedule would be best, imo.I may be one of the few here who likes the unbalanced schedule. It gives head-to-head meetings more importance. With only 11 games against divisional opponents, you can get your head handed to you by them and still win the division easily. The best example was when the Sox couldn't get by Oakland in the late 80's and early 90's, even though they routinely beat the A's in head-to-head games. With 19 meetings instead of only 11, they would have had a better chance.

The Racehorse
04-26-2005, 01:33 PM
I may be one of the few here who likes the unbalanced schedule. It gives head-to-head meetings more importance. With only 11 games against divisional opponents, you can get your head handed to you by them and still win the division easily. The best example was when the Sox couldn't get by Oakland in the late 80's and early 90's, even though they routinely beat the A's in head-to-head games. With 19 meetings instead of only 11, they would have had a better chance.

I can appreciate that point of view... but then again, if the SOX had played Detroit & Minny less times in '03 and feasted more on Yankee pitching that summer, well.................

Frater Perdurabo
04-26-2005, 01:36 PM
No contest, Tampa Bay.

Not Teal!

:tealpolice:

Even if you are going for games against inferior opponents, based on the last few years (July 4 holiday break in 2003 comes to mind), Sox wins against the Double-AA's have not been as automatic as TB's record would lead one to believe.

SSN721
04-26-2005, 01:49 PM
I'd prefer more Cubs games to Yankees games. If only because we'd have a better chance of winning (generally speaking). Also, I prefer the sort of festive/riot atmosphere of those games to the smug Yankee fan atmosphere of the NY games.

I second the emotion for Milwaukee. That was one of the great crimes of relignment and the Selig administration. They destroyed a great rivalry - a much more natural one than Cube/Brewers, also, given the working class nature of the fan bases.

I could be wrong, and I am too lazy to look up records, but I do beleive the Sox always seem to do pretty well against the Yankees and the BoSox. ALthough I do find Yankee, and especially BoSox fans to be rather irritating. I woul dlike a more balanced schedule, but I would really love to see more matchups agains the NL central, especially Milwaukee and St. Louis.

Hagan
04-26-2005, 03:42 PM
I would rather see the Cubs play the white sox 100 times more than the yankees right now. The Cubs White Sox rivelry is so much fun and they prove to be the most fun games of the year. Also, right now the yankees have wright hurt and brown pitching like a prepubesent girl. They are not impressing me much. Neither are the cubs because they have the easiest schedule in baseball in the beginning but a game against the cubs grabs my attention a lot more than the yanks.

MUsoxfan
04-26-2005, 03:44 PM
I'd love to see more games vs MIL and STL.

Scotty347
04-26-2005, 03:49 PM
I'm starting to enjoy watching the Sox play the Twins and Royals 19 times (never thought I'd say that)

Let's leave things alone. Six times with the Cubs is plenty also. I'd be fine with 3 a year.

seanpmurphy
04-26-2005, 03:51 PM
I'd like to see more games against the NL Central, particularly the top 3 of that division. White Sox v. Cardinals/Houston would be interesting, and White Sox v. Cubs is always a ton of fun. Besides, more games against the Yankees and Red Sox and ESPN might actually start giving us air time!

Unregistered
04-26-2005, 03:53 PM
I'd like to see the Sox play the winner of the NLCS... in the WORLD SERIES. :gulp:

seanpmurphy
04-26-2005, 04:02 PM
I'd like to see the Sox play the winner of the NLCS... in the WORLD SERIES. :gulp:

Let me improve upon that. I want the Sox to win against the winner of the NLCS....in the World Series

nlentz88
04-26-2005, 04:24 PM
I'd like to see the Sox play the Brew Crew more often. The exhibition games prior to this season's opener was a good idea. Maybe next year we can host the Brewers at the Cell before the season begins.

I also like the idea of exhibition games in general. I would like to see the Sox play minor league teams, college teams, and international teams. I'm sure there are MLBPA rules against playing college or farm teams, but what about the Sox taking on some Mexican league or Japanese league teams?

Jjav829
04-26-2005, 04:36 PM
The Kane County Cougars.

batman stole my response. And I mean it, too!

chisoxfanatic
04-26-2005, 06:24 PM
Boston, because that's my boyfriend's (and future husband's) team, and it would be cool to go back-and-forth more than six to seven games a year.

batmanZoSo
04-26-2005, 06:33 PM
I may be one of the few here who likes the unbalanced schedule. It gives head-to-head meetings more importance. With only 11 games against divisional opponents, you can get your head handed to you by them and still win the division easily. The best example was when the Sox couldn't get by Oakland in the late 80's and early 90's, even though they routinely beat the A's in head-to-head games. With 19 meetings instead of only 11, they would have had a better chance.

I like variety. Playing all those games in DET and KC is depressing, but it's nice that we only have to make one trip to the Bronx or other tough ballparks. But it's also kind of lame. I'd like a less unbalanced schedule. I'm not going to figure out the math, but something like 16 against division teams and 9 against other teams would be better. The home/away thing would be unbalanced, but that's the breaks. In football, you play a team once and it's either at home or on the road. One year we'd go to Boston twice, the next year they'd come here twice.

You have to have more games against Minnesota than Toronto, it just wouldn't make sense otherwise. But to me 19 is an awful lot. I like seeing different ballparks.

Overall, I'd like to see NL opponents more often...and I'm not talking about interleague.