PDA

View Full Version : Scary Thing Is, We Could Be 17-3

Brian26
04-26-2005, 10:58 AM
16-4 is impressive as hell, but the scary thing is that we were 2 or 3 outs (3rd game of the season) from being 17-3. If Shingo gets the Tribe in that 9th inning, we're 17-3 right now. What an amazing season so far.

:bandance:

anewman35
04-26-2005, 11:01 AM
16-4 is impressive as hell, but the scary thing is that we were 2 or 3 outs (3rd game of the season) from being 17-3. If Shingo gets the Tribe in that 9th inning, we're 17-3 right now. What an amazing season so far.

Yes, but it's best not to play that game. We could also easilly have a far worse record, we've won some games that we really really shouldn't have. Yes, it sucks we blew a game, but we've blown 1 out of 20, I doubt you'll find a better streak anywhere in baseball.

HomeFish
04-26-2005, 11:01 AM
I think Game 3 vs CLE and Game 3 @KC balance each other out; the first is a game we lost that we should have won, and the second is a game we won that we should have lost.

ondafarm
04-26-2005, 11:02 AM

I was at that game (froze my tootsies off.) It was dumb of Ozzie to put Shingo in when the air temperature is that cold. A guy who throws that slow (like a knuckleballer) depends on lots of air friction to move their ball around. Cold air doesn't generate as much friction and the ball just doesn't move much. I think I could have hit Shingo on that day (in the Japanese minors I did get a hit off Shingo when he was a starting pitcher.)

HomeFish
04-26-2005, 11:02 AM
Yes, but it's best not to play that game. We could also easilly have a far worse record, we've won some games that we really really shouldn't have. Yes, it sucks we blew a game, but we've blown 1 out of 20, I doubt you'll find a better streak anywhere in baseball.

We've actually blown 4 out of 20, given that we have been ahead in every game.

Ol' No. 2
04-26-2005, 11:07 AM
I was at that game (froze my tootsies off.) It was dumb of Ozzie to put Shingo in when the air temperature is that cold. A guy who throws that slow (like a knuckleballer) depends on lots of air friction to move their ball around. Cold air doesn't generate as much friction and the ball just doesn't move much. I think I could have hit Shingo on that day (in the Japanese minors I did get a hit off Shingo when he was a starting pitcher.)Actually, cold air is denser and provides more friction. It's hot, dry air that makes curveballs flatten out.

anewman35
04-26-2005, 11:11 AM
We've actually blown 4 out of 20, given that we have been ahead in every game.

Well, yes. But there's a difference between losing a lead in the 6th or 7th and losing a lead with your closer in there in the 9th. The other three losses weren't horrible heart-wrenching losses like that first one.

ondafarm
04-26-2005, 11:12 AM
Actually, cold air is denser and provides more friction. It's hot, dry air that makes curveballs flatten out.

Ah a science afficiananado. If you must question then realize its more about the ambient density of water molecules that causes the shift in air density. Hot, dry air is the worst; hot, moist air the best. Colder air has less carrying capacity for water molecules and so tends to have a lower density than warmer air. It's why things dry out during the winter when your furnace heats up cold air (and I use a humidifier.)

HomeFish
04-26-2005, 11:19 AM
(in the Japanese minors I did get a hit off Shingo when he was a starting pitcher.)

Have you ever gone into detail about this story? I think its something a lot of us here would be interested in.

Ol' No. 2
04-26-2005, 11:35 AM
Ah a science afficiananado. If you must question then realize its more about the ambient density of water molecules that causes the shift in air density. Hot, dry air is the worst; hot, moist air the best. Colder air has less carrying capacity for water molecules and so tends to have a lower density than warmer air. It's why things dry out during the winter when your furnace heats up cold air (and I use a humidifier.)Water vapor actually makes the air LESS dense, since water has a lower molecular weight than air (most people have a hard time with this, but it's a fact). Also, air increases in density as the temperature drops (Charles' Law).

Baby Fisk
04-26-2005, 11:40 AM
Water vapor actually makes the air LESS dense, since water has a lower molecular weight than air (most people have a hard time with this, but it's a fact). Also, air increases in density as the temperature drops (Charles' Law).

You propellorheads are BOTH wrong. Captain Picard was THE COOLEST!

santo=dorf
04-26-2005, 01:05 PM
We could be 20-0!

We have held the lead in a game for an MLB record 20 consecutive games.:supernana:

Jjav829
04-26-2005, 01:15 PM
And we could be 12-8. But we're not. So let's worry about the record we actually have.

tebman
04-26-2005, 01:17 PM
Water vapor actually makes the air LESS dense, since water has a lower molecular weight than air (most people have a hard time with this, but it's a fact). Also, air increases in density as the temperature drops (Charles' Law).

If you haven't already, you both should check out this book, "The Physics of Baseball":
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0060084367/qid=1114535323/sr=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/104-1399317-0318317

It's a great read for techie/science-club/propeller-head folks like us who would like scientific justification for our baseball jones.

Brian26
04-26-2005, 01:17 PM
And we could be 12-8. But we're not. So let's worry about the record we actually have.

Of course we could be 10-10 or 0-20, minus a hit here or there. My point is that, with the blink of an eye, we could have EASILY been 17-3. Shingo just need two small outs. I'm just trying to put into perspective how well this team has played. I'm not complaining or crying over spilled milk...it's just an interesting aside.

batmanZoSo
04-26-2005, 01:19 PM

One strike away at one point.

Jjav829
04-26-2005, 01:23 PM
Of course we could be 10-10 or 0-20, minus a hit here or there. My point is that, with the blink of an eye, we could have EASILY been 17-3. Shingo just need two small outs. I'm just trying to put into perspective how well this team has played. I'm not complaining or crying over spilled milk...it's just an interesting aside.

And if Wickman can get three outs, we're right back at 16-4. My point is that it evens out. Take away a hit here and there and the record is worse. It goes either way. We have the record we have.

pudge
04-26-2005, 01:24 PM
Don't forget, if Everett isn't in LF in that game in Cleveland, that could be another W.... you can play this game all night long.

Brian26
04-26-2005, 02:08 PM
And if Wickman can get three outs, we're right back at 16-4. My point is that it evens out. Take away a hit here and there and the record is worse. It goes either way. We have the record we have.

You're missing my point completely. Of all the close games we've been in, the Shingo meltdown was the closest. Shingo was an out away. We could be 17-3. The other games weren't quite as close, so now you're talking about two hits there, three hits here, two errors there, one bad inning, etc. The Shingo game was a lock. It's just an interesting aside.

WhiteSoxFan84
04-26-2005, 02:29 PM

we also could MORE EASILY (is that possible?) be 14-6. The KC game with the Marte wild pitch, we could've lost. The 2nd Indians game with the Sox scoring 4 in the 9th to win the game, we could've lost.

you make a good point but you have to look at it both ways.

Hagan
04-26-2005, 03:48 PM
we could have been 18-2. If shingo didnt mess up during the indians game and if crede didnt put hiss hand out and stop the ball that uribe could have gotten to in the twins game which led to a torii hunter grand slam. We have made only a few mistakes this year and have come through in the cluth in a lot of close games this year and that is a good thing to see.

ElevenUp
04-26-2005, 03:53 PM
My favorite saying about "if" comes from my buddy Larry:

"If my Aunt had balls, she'd be my uncle.":D:

batmanZoSo
04-26-2005, 03:55 PM
we also could MORE EASILY (is that possible?) be 14-6. The KC game with the Marte wild pitch, we could've lost. The 2nd Indians game with the Sox scoring 4 in the 9th to win the game, we could've lost.

you make a good point but you have to look at it both ways.

You don't look at it that way, though. We made our comebacks, we got our late runs to take the lead, that's done. We earned it. In things like this you look back at games we gave away, not games we almost or should have lost.