PDA

View Full Version : Bruce Wolf Cheers SOX, Blasts Chicago Media this morning

Hangar18
04-26-2005, 09:51 AM
FOX news led off their broadcast by mentioning the red-hot start by our
beloved White Sox and they'd talk more later about it. Bruce Wolf gave
the SOX some awesome props mentioning how this is the best start in their
history and they keep finding ways to win, and its the mark of a special season.
He then got angry and said the SOX have been getting NO ATTENTION by
the Chicago Media (get in line, ive been angry since last week) and that the
SOX would have to win 24 in a row (as opposed to 8 in a row) in order to
get the Medias attention here. He said the Media woudlve been doing
cartwheels had it been the Cubs (hmmmm, ive been saying that too)
He said it was time to give the SOX the respect they deserve. Good Job Wolf!

crazyozzie02
04-26-2005, 09:54 AM
Thats the awesome thing about this guy and thats why i love him.....he is not afraid to speak his mind. He lays it on the line and shoves it in others faces. We need more meida people like him

Jerko
04-26-2005, 09:54 AM
I guess I'll forgive him now for starting a "throw it back" chant in Section 158 after a Tiger homer last season.........

HomeFish
04-26-2005, 09:55 AM
Here's hoping the Sox take him up on that 24 win streak hypothesis.

Baby Fisk
04-26-2005, 09:58 AM
Hangar you are busier than a campaign war room this morning. Have you hired interns to help you track all this stuff?! :o:

Ol' No. 2
04-26-2005, 10:01 AM
No point in starting another media thread for this. Who caught Mike Downey's article (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-050425downey,1,1678892.column?coll=cs-home-utility) this morning? Here's the beginning:

A know-it-all baseball scribe from the East Coast put in a call to the White Sox's general manager, Ken Williams, as the club was getting off to a best-in-the-bigs record of 15-4.

Williams quickly came to realize that the guy thought the Sox's start was a stroke of luck, an aberration, a fluke.

"I'm sorry that you don't like our manager," Williams says he told him.

"I'm sorry that you don't like our 3-4-5 hitters. Or our closer.

"I'm sorry that you don't like our third baseman and our shortstop. Or our left fielder and our right fielder.

"I'm sorry people feel this way about our club. But I also want you to know something about that:

"We don't care."

nasox
04-26-2005, 10:04 AM
No point in starting another media thread for this. Who caught Mike Downey's article (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-050425downey,1,1678892.column?coll=cs-home-utility) this morning? Here's the beginning:

That was just a good article, from someone who doesn't do that all the time. Downey's biggest problem is that he tries to be funny but is really not funny at all.

Hangar18
04-26-2005, 10:04 AM
Hangar you are busier than a campaign war room this morning. Have you hired interns to help you track all this stuff?! :o:

Im just trying to spread the Truth man heh heh. Im here to offset the Propoganda, Lies and other Filth distributed by the Evil Blue Corporation.
People do email me and alert me to stuff though, so I cant take all the credit.

Hangar18
04-26-2005, 10:07 AM

I know EXACTLY who that "know-it-all" scribe is. Two guesses.
He works for ESPN, and loves the Red Sox. (and we have his picture here)

Ol' No. 2
04-26-2005, 10:09 AM
I know EXACTLY who that "know-it-all" scribe is. Two guesses.
He works for ESPN, and loves the Red Sox. (and we have his picture here)Are you sure? "A know-it-all baseball scribe from the East Coast" doesn't narrow it down much.:cool:

voodoochile
04-26-2005, 10:16 AM
"I'm sorry that you don't like our manager," Williams says he told him.

"I'm sorry that you don't like our 3-4-5 hitters. Or our closer.

"I'm sorry that you don't like our third baseman and our shortstop. Or our left fielder and our right fielder.

"I'm sorry people feel this way about our club. But I also want you to know something about that:

"We don't care."

GO KENNY! GO KENNY! GO KENNY!

Man, that got me fired up. Had to put the Sox hat on. **** 'em... **** 'em all...:supernana:

Uncle_Patrick
04-26-2005, 10:17 AM
There is an article in the Sun-Times today regarding the Sox lack of Media attention as well.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-ssep26.html

mikehuff
04-26-2005, 10:24 AM
8 in a row! Time to shave your head Wimpy!

Risk
04-26-2005, 10:25 AM
Im just trying to spread the Truth man heh heh. Im here to offset the Propoganda, Lies and other Filth distributed by the Evil Blue Corporation.
People do email me and alert me to stuff though, so I cant take all the credit.

Dave Mustaine will be proud.:D:

Risk

Fungo
04-26-2005, 10:29 AM
Some of you seem to be on a mission to turn the White Sox into the cubs or red sox or yankees, the very things I personally hate about baseball. I enjoyed reading Downey's column this morning and love the attitude the players have taken, "we don't care" because that is exactly how I feel. I don't care who's watching, all I know is I am, and I'm loving what I'm seeing. To me, in your attempt to turn the White Sox into a big media machine, much like the cubs, red sox and yankee teams most here claim to hate, you are only feeding the stereotype that White Sox fans are whiners and complainers.

Just my opinion, of course.

Irishsox1
04-26-2005, 10:31 AM
Let Bruce Wolf, (who is a member of the media), take on the media when it comes to the lack of coverage or respect for the White Sox. My feeling is that as long as the Sox keep winning the media coverage will come along. As long as the Sox make the playoffs, I could care less what the media says or does anymore.

Personally, I'm tired of the Sox being bashed by Moronetti, ignored by the giant Tribune Corporation and cast to the side by the East coast SPorts Network and I don't feel like fighting with them anymore. If they want to ignore the Sox, go right ahead. I only have the energy to care about the team.

Maximo
04-26-2005, 10:33 AM
It's really a shame that the White Sox start has coincided with:

The Bulls making the playoffs
The NFL Draft
Injuries to the other team in town
Steroid rumors
The election of a new Pope
The passing of Prince Ranier and Johnnie Cochrane
The Michael Jackson trial
Rising gasoline prices
Tom Delay's troubles
Amtrak woes

Here's hoping when the Sox are marching through the playoffs, October will be a slower news month.

nlentz88
04-26-2005, 10:51 AM
Bruce Wolf said that? Man, I don't know if that makes up for all the cheap shots he's taken at the Sox and Sox fans over the years. He's a funny guy, but I'm pretty sure he brandishes a pro-Cubs/anti-Sox bias like the rest of them.

Fungo brings up a good point, but I don't think there are too many people here who would like to see the Sox sell their souls to become an evil empire in the mold of the Yankees, Red Sox, or Cubs. I think most Sox fans who get angry at media bias (be it favoritism to the Cubs or the east coast teams) are angry because the Sox don't get good media coverage on either the national or local levels. When the Sox sweep a team, their fans would really love to see highlights of the game on Baseball Tonight. When a Sox starter pitches a complete game, Sox fans would like to see his picture on the cover of the sports section. When the Sox have the best record in baseball, Sox fans would like their team to receive top billing during the sports segment of the local nightly news.

It's a shame when a team's fans can't find decent coverage of their favorite local team in their own city.

Just my $0.02.

- P.S. I probably wouldn't care so much if I could find a way to get the Daily Southtown delivered to my home in Rogers Park. As it is I have to settle for the Sun Times. Although it usually has just 2-3 Sox stories compared to 3-6 Cubs pieces, at least it isn't the Trib (which is impossible to fold easily for reading on the train).

mcfish
04-26-2005, 10:53 AM
(get in line, ive been angry since last week)You just got angry last week?

LVSoxFan
04-26-2005, 11:12 AM
I personally enjoy our "best kept secret" status. Trust me, if we make the playoffs there'll be plenty of media coverage.

The Cubs sure ain't gonna do it this year, so then the bandwagon jumping will start and it will be like 2000, where you could go to any regular season game no problem but the playoffs sold out.

Not really looking forward to that!

Let the media fixate on the Cubs; less distraction for us.

Under the radar!

Baby Fisk
04-26-2005, 11:17 AM
Another thing to note: once the bandwagon begins to pick up speed and passengers, WSI will gain many new members who will be newly-minted Sox fans. Foreign scum! [*adjusting his Bill the Butcher stovepipe hat*]

daveeym
04-26-2005, 11:23 AM
Another thing to note: once the bandwagon begins to pick up speed and passengers, WSI will gain many new members who will be newly-minted Sox fans. Foreign scum! [*adjusting his Bill the Butcher stovepipe hat*] And many will be ex Scrub "fans" and will be filling up the ****house because they won't know how to act like adults. Have fun mods.:cool:

PicktoCLick72
04-26-2005, 11:33 AM
We should make a listof all those who join the sight in the middle of this season and what they do as the team fairs.

mikehuff
04-26-2005, 11:44 AM
Another thing to note: once the bandwagon begins to pick up speed and passengers, WSI will gain many new members who will be newly-minted Sox fans. Foreign scum! [*adjusting his Bill the Butcher stovepipe hat*]

I would assume all of them would go to the WhiteSox.com board. The group we have here are here because we know what's going on.

patbooyah
04-26-2005, 11:52 AM

i could have sworn mancow was a cubs fan! :cool:

you know i love ya hangar

cheeses_h_rice
04-26-2005, 11:54 AM

Nah, it couldn't be Mancow.

He didn't once mention the "criminal liberal media."

seahawk037
04-26-2005, 12:04 PM
Bruce Wolf said that? Man, I don't know if that makes up for all the cheap shots he's taken at the Sox and Sox fans over the years. He's a funny guy, but I'm pretty sure he brandishes a pro-Cubs/anti-Sox bias like the rest of them.

All I have to say is that Bruce was a KING when we spoke in front of the Urinal, the day that Flubbie tickets went on sale and he was talking about how the Sox were in for a great year. There's a thread on that somewhere on here.

jdm2662
04-26-2005, 12:20 PM
I've said this once, and I will say it again, I'm going to enjoy this run and not even pay attention to what anyone has to say. If they keep winning, I'm going to enjoy it. If you don't want to like the White Sox because it's not cool, so be it. It's your loss.
________
W164 (http://www.mercedes-wiki.com/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_W164)

Lip Man 1
04-26-2005, 12:23 PM
Hangar:

I don't think it's Peter Gammons at all he's talking about, one of the New York writers recently had a story on the Sox, I read it somewhere here via WSI.

My money is on him.

Lip

Uncle_Patrick
04-26-2005, 12:24 PM
I would assume all of them would go to the WhiteSox.com board. The group we have here are here because we know what's going on.

I would agree with that. I might be wrong (and I know there are plenty of people here who cruise the net for Cubs sites), but the Cubs fans don't really even have a decent fan site of their own that I know of, or at least one with a decent message board that could compare with this site or even SoxTalk (there are a bunch of blogs, though). The only one I can think of is CubsTalk (or InsideTheIvy, or whatever; its the same thing), but the message board isn't all that great. I recall one Scrubby fan come into the chat during the Cubs-Sox series at the Cell and saying that there were no good Cub chats on the web. I think that WhiteSox.com will have the influx of bandwagoners.

skottyj242
04-26-2005, 12:37 PM
Some of you seem to be on a mission to turn the White Sox into the cubs or red sox or yankees, the very things I personally hate about baseball. I enjoyed reading Downey's column this morning and love the attitude the players have taken, "we don't care" because that is exactly how I feel. I don't care who's watching, all I know is I am, and I'm loving what I'm seeing. To me, in your attempt to turn the White Sox into a big media machine, much like the cubs, red sox and yankee teams most here claim to hate, you are only feeding the stereotype that White Sox fans are whiners and complainers.

I couldn't agree more. I think I would hate it if every time I opened a newspaper or turned on a television and all I saw/read was about the White Sox. I that happened what would Hanger have to bitch about?

Uncle_Patrick
04-26-2005, 12:55 PM
I couldn't agree more. I think I would hate it if every time I opened a newspaper or turned on a television and all I saw/read was about the White Sox. I that happened what would Hanger have to bitch about?

I get what you're saying, but I think a lot of people here are just looking for balanced reporting, really. There are some here who would like the tables completely turned and have the Sox get all the coverage and the Cubs get none, and I agree that is not the right way to go. I would prefer it if the team that won got the lead story on the local sportscast over the team that lost instead of the Cubs always being the top story.

In many ways, I like being the underdog, but what is going to kill me is that now the local media outlets are going to be besieged with complaints from lame Cubby fans who will bitch and moan that the Sox get too much coverage. It happened last year when the Sox won a bunch of games in the summer.

Frater Perdurabo
04-26-2005, 01:01 PM

I love Hangar as much as a straight man can love another man. :o:

However, if the media were to be wall to wall White Sox coverage, part of me sees Hangar shriveling up like a beached jellyfish. The other part of me sees Hangar on the third base side, behind the Sox dugout, beer in one hand, brat in the other, in a Buehrle jersey and a Sox cap, screaming at the top of his lungs in sheer ecstasy because he wouldn't have to do his daily "Media Watch" Sox Army shock troop duty.
:cool::bandance:

Fake Chet Lemon
04-26-2005, 01:47 PM
The Tribune headline today "Garland FINALLY fulfills expectations" sucked as well. When Kerry Wood wins a game it's "Wood dominates the opponents in 10 strikeout performance." No mention that his expectations to win more than 14 games may be fulfilled. Thank goodness for that quote from Kenny today, it's going to help me get through this bullcrap. Ozzie- JUST KEEP WINNING baby.

SoxSpeed22
04-26-2005, 01:53 PM
The Tribune headline today "Garland FINALLY fulfills expectations" sucked as well. When Kerry Wood wins a game it's "Wood dominates the opponents in 10 strikeout performance." No mention that his expectations to win more than 14 games may be fulfilled. Thank goodness for that quote from Kenny today, it's going to help me get through this bullcrap. Ozzie- JUST KEEP WINNING baby.FINALLY? Strikeouts are how you show dominance, even if you walk 5 and give up 2 runs. Just getting them out is worthless.

Charno
04-26-2005, 01:54 PM

More popularity = more revenue = more winning.

Jerko
04-26-2005, 02:14 PM
I love Hangar as much as a straight man can love another man. :o:

However, if the media were to be wall to wall White Sox coverage, part of me sees Hangar shriveling up like a beached jellyfish. :cool::bandance:

Hangar in October 2005.

http://www.timellis.demon.co.uk/whale/jellyfish.jpg

Look Dusty, there's that Hangar fellow that we heard about last April. I TOLD you if you tanked the season for the Cubbies we could get rid of him.

pudge
04-26-2005, 02:39 PM
I personally enjoy our "best kept secret" status. Trust me, if we make the playoffs there'll be plenty of media coverage.

I wouldn't count on that - during the first round we'd get those day games nobody pays attention to. I hardly noticed we were in the friggin playoffs back in 2000.

Frater Perdurabo
04-26-2005, 02:43 PM
Hangar in October 2005.

Look Dusty, there's that Hangar fellow that we heard about last April. I TOLD you if you tanked the season for the Cubbies we could get rid of him.

ROFLMAO!

:roflmao:

Frater Perdurabo
04-26-2005, 02:46 PM
FINALLY? Strikeouts are how you show dominance, even if you walk 5 and give up 2 runs. Just getting them out is worthless.

My friend (who, to my knowledge, is not a WSI member) who lives in Berwyn recently e-mailed me about the Prior/Wood-obsesed media. He's a huge Sox fan but doesn't care for basketball, football or hockey.

Anyway, he argued that the strikeout was as overrated as "basketball's slam dunk" and "football's the spike (after touchdown)."

Hangar18
04-26-2005, 03:34 PM
I wouldn't count on that - during the first round we'd get those day games nobody pays attention to. I hardly noticed we were in the friggin playoffs back in 2000.

I remember that !!!!!!! Despite the White Sox entering the 2000 playoffs
with Home Field Advantage throughout, it was the YANKEES who were given
the coveted Prime-Time 7pm game starts. Total BS. The SOX were
forced to play ALL of their games at 3pm, where noone could see them

RichFitztightly
04-26-2005, 03:59 PM

Actually, right around the two teams' opening days I flipped through the channels and landed on Mancow and listened to 5 minutes worth for the second time in about 6 years. Anyways, he made it a point to argue the decision to do an "on-location" for the Cubs home opener and not for the Sox home opener. He wondered, "I'm a Sox fan, so why aren't we doing something for that?" Yet, being in a position to do something about it, he did nothing. Though in his defense, I don't listen so maybe he did do something.

That brings me to another point. Why would any media source bother to put out a story about the lack of media coverage the Sox are getting!? Being a media source themselves wouldn't the logical thing to do is actually do something themselves to rectify the situation?

Does that make sense to anybody else?

Lip Man 1
04-26-2005, 05:55 PM
Hangar:

The Yankees were defending World Champs and play in the largest city in the U.S. But that doesn't count for anything right?

How dare Fox decide to put their games in 'prime-time!'

Lip

elrod
04-26-2005, 06:04 PM
Who is Bruce Wolf?

steff
04-26-2005, 06:09 PM
Hangar in October 2005.

Best post ever.. :bandance:

steff
04-26-2005, 06:10 PM
I remember that !!!!!!! Despite the White Sox entering the 2000 playoffs
with Home Field Advantage throughout, it was the YANKEES who were given
the coveted Prime-Time 7pm game starts. Total BS. The SOX were
forced to play ALL of their games at 3pm, where noone could see them

Good God Henry... it was supply and demand.

:whiner: :whiner:

IowaSox1971
04-26-2005, 06:34 PM
Regarding the post about the Sox not getting coverage this month because of everything else going on (such as the NFL draft, Bulls in the playoffs, new pope elected, etc.):

The media always find some reason to give the Sox less coverage than they deserve, even when there is not much real news going on. Five years ago, when we swept the Indians and Yankees on the road in June, the Chicago papers were full of stories about a POSSIBLE Sammy Sosa trade. Of course, Sosa was not traded then, but the media were able to use their inaccurate speculation as another excuse to not give more prominence to stories about the first-place Sox.

Last year, before the season started, the Tribune ran a "Prior watch," but when we had key guys like Thomas and Ordonez hurt later in the season, there was no "Thomas watch" or "Ordonez watch."

Even now, with our hot start, some of the beat writers are saying we're the luckiest team around. If the Cubs started out 16-4, the media would be writing about how this is the year the Cubs finally win the series. I doubt that this bias is ever going to change.

Jerko
04-26-2005, 06:46 PM
Best post ever.. :bandance:

I give kudos to Frater P., he gave me the idea!

Cellview22
04-26-2005, 07:08 PM
I missed the part where Bruce Wolf gave props to the Sox. I only heard him take a cheap shot at the fans.

I only had the tv on for a minute or 2 before work, and I actually heard him say "Perhaps now US Cellular Field will blast off, fly through the air, and land at 1060 W. Addison, and the Sox might actually draw some fans. And Tamron Hall did her usual "Ooooh", as if don't rip on the fans. Anyone else catch that?