PDA

View Full Version : Sox Not Americas Team (allegedly)

Hangar18
04-26-2005, 09:43 AM
Of course, thats the media trying to tell us that. Ive seen enough SOX fans
the last few days to know theyre angry at our start.
I like how this little piece tries to JUSTIFY the ignorance on the part
of the Chicago Media (and national media). The reason the SOX arent getting
respect? Because of the Cubs "have more post-season success".
I forgot about the 5 world championships they just reeled off since 1998.
And I can see how long-time cub (9 months) Nomar deserves 3 full-page color
spreads out of 5 days.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-ssep26.html

(mods, let me know if this is parking lot material)

mikehuff
04-26-2005, 09:50 AM
I'm starting to get the point of not wanting to read anything about the Sox. National or local, I know it's going to turn negative. I might as well just get all my news here. At least I know we're all aware of what's going on.

I posted this in another thread this morning...
"I thought I'd check out ESPN this morning to see if we got any coverage...

During the intro they showed a bunch of NBA playoff highlights and one baseball nugget, and which did they pick?... "MARK PRIOR PUTS THE CUBS ON HIS BACK WITH A REMARKABLE OUTING!"

I looked today and there are 11 teams with a better record than the Cubs."

SoxFan78
04-26-2005, 09:52 AM
And whats all over Sportscenter this morning?

"Mark Prior carries the cubs on his shoulders to beat the Reds with 6 IP, 3 ER"

Nothing mentioned at least in the first segment about Jon Garland's complete game shutout.

Horrible.

DaveIsHere
04-26-2005, 09:54 AM
I love the way KW is telling everyone "he doesn't care" about what everyone says about them....UNDER THE RADAR we go!!!

nasox
04-26-2005, 09:55 AM
At first I thought, Give it up Hangar. But I clicken on the link and was surprised. Kinda makes me pissed, but then, I say, Under the Radar we shall go! :redneck

Hitmen77
04-26-2005, 09:55 AM
Of course, thats the media trying to tell us that. Ive seen enough SOX fans
the last few days to know theyre angry at our start.
I like how this little piece tries to JUSTIFY the ignorance on the part
of the Chicago Media (and national media). The reason the SOX arent getting
respect? Because of the Cubs "have more post-season success".
I forgot about the 5 world championships they just reeled off since 1998.
And I can see how long-time cub (9 months) Nomar deserves 3 full-page color
spreads out of 5 days.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-ssep26.html

(mods, let me know if this is parking lot material)

Are you still doing a Chicago Media Watch?

ode to veeck
04-26-2005, 10:34 AM
Now that the Sox are finally getting some limited media attention, I can't say that I've read a decent article on them yet .... maybe Phil Rogers will post something decent soon that gets carried by the tabloid ESPN network. Are there any competant sports writers out there left!?! We miss you Dave Condon / In the Wake of the News!

GregoryEtc
04-26-2005, 10:36 AM
America's Team?

Give me a break. They're not even Chicago's team. Nomar's groin has
gotten more ink from the Chicago media than all the White Sox put
together. And when they do write anything, its about how its just a
matter of time before the other shoe drops. The media spent the
entire winter bashing Kenny Williams' philosophy and now that he's
proving them wrong, they're rooting for the Sox to fail rather than
lose face. And if the Sox do keep on winning, you won't hear any of
them admit they were wrong. I would say the chances are better that
Mariotti, DeLuca and Couch come out and say that the Sox were their
pre-season favorites all along. But I don't think anyone on the south
side will buy what Greg Couch will be selling.

Peace,
Greg

BaseballTonyght
04-26-2005, 10:55 AM
KW has a great attitude about it. And he's echoing exactly what the entire Sox organization has said on this subject. They seem entirely focused on what's happening on the field - not what's happening in the media.

No distractions. Play baseball.

chaz171
04-26-2005, 11:31 AM
The Chicago White Sox have gotten a bad rap in the local and national media for 86 years. (yes that's 1919, folks) Yet, Lifelong Chicagoans, Lifelong Sox fans are stunned when the White Sox get ignored. 86 years of cold weather will not be defrosted by a 16-4 start.

The Sox can win the World Series this year. The Media is going to go "hey what happened?" or "Where's Carrie Would, Where's Mary Prior?" or "We need a Cubbie story." Us, the fans of the #1 Team in MLB, will have cause to celebrate.

If the Media ever catches on to this, We'll Just label them Bandwagonners anyway. Those are not the fans I want. I don't want Celebrities in the stands at the Cell because it's the place to be seen when we're winning. I don't want any SNL Alumnus above either of our dugouts. (and that goes for any of those crappy Mad TV actors as well!)

While a lot of sox fans Stand like deer in headlights as the vehicles of national and local media plow over them on the way to interview Nomar's Groin surgeon, I'll stand aside. Who gives a rats arse what ESPN and CLTV think of us?

We are 16-4 Let us, the White Sox fans support the White Sox. Screw what the media thinks!

TDog
04-26-2005, 11:34 AM
And whats all over Sportscenter this morning?

"Mark Prior carries the cubs on his shoulders to beat the Reds with 6 IP, 3 ER"

Nothing mentioned at least in the first segment about Jon Garland's complete game shutout.

Horrible.

You have to understand, it's not every day a Cubs pitcher turns in a quality start. The Sox, on the other hand, pitched a shutout on opening day. The Cubs have to get excited about smaller successes.

Ol' No. 2
04-26-2005, 11:39 AM
The Chicago White Sox have gotten a bad rap in the local and national media for 86 years. (yes that's 1919, folks) Yet, Lifelong Chicagoans, Lifelong Sox fans are stunned when the White Sox get ignored. 86 years of cold weather will not be defrosted by a 16-4 start.

The Sox can win the World Series this year. The Media is going to go "hey what happened?" or "Where's Carrie Would, Where's Mary Prior?" or "We need a Cubbie story." Us, the fans of the #1 Team in MLB, will have cause to celebrate.

If the Media ever catches on to this, We'll Just label them Bandwagonners anyway. Those are not the fans I want. I don't want Celebrities in the stands at the Cell because it's the place to be seen when we're winning. I don't want any SNL Alumnus above either of our dugouts. (and that goes for any of those crappy Mad TV actors as well!)

While a lot of sox fans Stand like deer in headlights as the vehicles of national and local media plow over them on the way to interview Nomar's Groin surgeon, I'll stand aside. Who gives a rats arse what ESPN and CLTV think of us?

We are 16-4 Let us, the White Sox fans support the White Sox. Screw what the media thinks!No, actually, the media bias only goes back to the 1980's. (Guess what pivotal event happened then?) Before that, coverage depended on the team's performance, as it should.

krohnjw
04-26-2005, 11:48 AM
I have given up on decent media coverage. I always want to find something positive to read while at work (helps brighten the day) but always end up finding negativity or nothing at all. It doesn't seem that anyone in the national media wants this team to do well or wants to give it fair coverage. I have about given up getting frustrated and will enjoy when we continue winning and shutting everyone else up.

TDog
04-26-2005, 11:58 AM
No, actually, the media bias only goes back to the 1980's. (Guess what pivotal event happened then?) Before that, coverage depended on the team's performance, as it should.

Of course, the Tribune Company invented a winning tradition after their newly acquired baseball team came sooooooooooooo close to going to the World Series in 1984. But there was media bias toward the Cubs at the end of the '60s and beginning of the '70s, beginning with their resurgence in 1967. I remember a Daily News columnist being the only columnist in the city that gave the Sox any respect when they began to rebuild. The Sox got a lot of love as 1972 progressed, but the Tribune announced in a 1974 Sunday feature that the Cubs were fashionable again.

It was never as bad as it's been since 1984, though.

Mark
04-26-2005, 12:05 PM
"First, the Sox are not national media darlings, mostly because they haven't had much postseason success over the last 25 years. They have a combined three playoff victories over that time and none since 1993."

Psst, hey Trib, here's a random 32-year sample (1973-2004)*:

Winning Seasons Since 1973: White Sox (14).....Cubs (7)
Playoff Record Since 1973: White Sox (3-10 .231).....Cubs (9-16 .360)
League Championships Since 1973: White Sox (0).....Cubs (0)
World Series Championships Since 1973: White Sox (0).....Cubs (0)

I guess I need to bow down to North Side dominance and the home of the media darlings more often, considering that .360 postseason winning percentage and all.

Stay stealth, Sox, stay stealth.....

*I admit to conveniently using 1973 as a starting point since that was the year that the Cubbies started their impressive string of not posting back-to-back winning seasons until 2003 and '04.

skottyj242
04-26-2005, 12:08 PM
I could care less about the media or lack there of, all this "non"attention we've been getting actually makes me feel proud to be a fan. It's makes me feel like I was right and everyone else was and still is wrong. I also think that "flying under the radar" is a good thing for the true fans of our beloved club...I think it gives us all something to rally around and it makes us just love our team more.

Lip Man 1
04-26-2005, 12:11 PM
A few comments:

No. 2 has it correct with the Tribune company buying the Cubs a few months after the new Sox ownership took over but in fairness it also has to be mentioned that many times in the past 25 years the Sox have been their own worst enemy when it comes to PR, media relations and treatment of fans.

Hangar, with respect, this is the passage from that story. "First, the Sox are not national media darlings, mostly because they haven't had much postseason success over the last 25 years. They have a combined three playoff victories over that time and none since 1993."

It says absolutely nothing about the Cubs nor do I think it is inferring anything about the Cubs. It is simply stating an unfortunate fact of life for the White Sox during say the past 25 years, as you have said at times yourself.

This story, is looking at the Sox lack of attention from a national perspective, you are turning it into a local perspective which is two different issues.

Bottom line, again with respect is, 'who cares!' If the Sox keep winning the 'respect' will follow and if it doesn't Sox fans will be celebrating all the same. If the Sox get to a World Series, I could care not a wit if the Cubs got all the attention. I'll have those video tapes to keep me warm.

Lip

Fungo
04-26-2005, 12:19 PM
Bottom line, again with respect is, 'who cares!' If the Sox keep winning the 'respect' will follow and if it doesn't Sox fans will be celebrating all the same. If the Sox get to a World Series, I could care not a wit if the Cubs got all the attention. I'll have those video tapes to keep me warm.

Lip

Well put Lip. I could care less if THEY aren't watching. I know WE WHITE SOX FANS are. Who cares what these knuckleheads think.

Flight #24
04-26-2005, 12:23 PM
A few comments:

It says absolutely nothing about the Cubs nor do I think it is inferring anything about the Cubs. It is simply stating an unfortunate fact of life for the White Sox during say the past 25 years, as you have said at times yourself.

This story, is looking at the Sox lack of attention from a national perspective, you are turning it into a local perspective which is two different issues.

Lip

IMO, Hangar's pointing out that the national media has a double standard since the Cubs ARE a national story despite not having any real postseason success over the same period. You could say 2003 was success, but they were obviously a national story well before that.

So that would lead one to question whether postseason success really is the prime driver of why national media ignores the Sox. However it's quite believable that an ST writer like Padilla who's not exactly been unbiased when it comes to the Sox would blame it on the team despite evidence to the contrary.

That said, I agree with you. As long as we're winning, I say to Doug Padilla: I don't care.

GiveMeSox
04-26-2005, 12:49 PM
The name of the article should be sox not medias team. The reason its not Americas team is becuase the media doens't portray them in a cute fluffly holyier than thou way like they do the cubs. Or at least did for the cubs when they were winning and the bandwagon exploded in 2003. The media like to make money thats it. Writing fluffy duffy pieces on the cubs with not a lot of hardcore baseball fact appeals to more people than writing about the nitty gritty down to earth sox, THATS IT!!!

The Racehorse
04-26-2005, 01:05 PM
New York is New York. California is... well we don't know what they are out there. But Chicago is the heart & soul of our great country. If a Chicago team from the National Pastime isn't America's Team, does that mean we've all been unknowingly residing in Guatemala?

Fake Chet Lemon
04-26-2005, 01:40 PM
Respect Nationally is earned in October, not April. QUICK- Name the most memorable White Sox October moments. See what I mean? But I have a very strong feeling we'll earn some this year!

Nellie_Fox
04-26-2005, 03:38 PM
QUICK- Name the most memorable White Sox October moments.
:bigklu

Rocklive99
04-26-2005, 04:08 PM
KW has a great attitude about it. And he's echoing exactly what the entire Sox organization has said on this subject. They seem entirely focused on what's happening on the field - not what's happening in the media.

No distractions. Play baseball.

Great sig!