PDA

View Full Version : Cancer or good teammate?

Palehose13
04-26-2005, 09:17 AM
I was one that was unsure about acquiring A.J. Pierzynski. I hated him with Minnesota and then all of the talk out of San Francisco wasn't good. However, I'm loving the guy and yesterday gave me a few more reasons to do so.

Last night I caught a little bit of him on the Best Damn Sports Show (I think that is what it was, I was at happy hour). It was brought up that a few of the members of the Twins were miffed that he didn't talk to them when they played against each other. Very cool, A.J. :smile:

Then I read this on mlb.com this morning:

Widger clearly remembered that last trip around the bases, explaining how it came against the White Sox's Mike Sirotka, after Widger had been traded from Montreal back to Seattle. Monday's drive had a little more meaning for the veteran catcher, after what he has fought through over the past few years to return to the game, so A.J. Pierzynski retrieved the baseball for his friend and teammate.

I'm really liking this guy and am starting to believe that he may have been railroaded.

DaleJRFan
04-26-2005, 09:24 AM
wow. Cool story.

Reading that AJ socred from first on a double and made it to third on a single while having a severely messed up toe shows me he's on it. And not speaking to his ex-teammates... and now the homer ball for Widger... I love this guy.

:bandance:

Baby Fisk
04-26-2005, 09:27 AM
Can you imagine a year ago if someone told you we would be singing the praises of White Sox heroes Pierzynski, Widger and Garland?! What's an Ozuna?! :o:

spiffie
04-26-2005, 10:51 AM
From the Yankees/Cubs/Red Sox.com report on the Sox game last night I noticed this little blurb that I didn't see in the thread about the game.

It was his first homer in the majors since Aug. 9, 2000...Pierzynski managed to get the ball from a fan in left field for a souvenir.

"That ball probably means as much to me as the first one I hit, just because of what I've done and the places I've been over the last few years," Widger said.

How can that not bring a smile to any Sox fan's face? As amazing as the team's play has been, just as awesome to me is that they look like a TEAM. AJ is going out of his way to get Widger's HR ball back because he knows it would be a special thing for him to have. That rocks :D:

GregoryEtc
04-26-2005, 10:55 AM
Well in fairness, it doesn't say HOW AJ "managed" to get the ball away from the woman. Maybe he followed her to the concessions line and beat the crap out of her.

Palehose13
04-26-2005, 10:58 AM
I got that and a little more here:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=48894

Baby Fisk
04-26-2005, 10:59 AM
Well in fairness, it doesn't say HOW AJ "managed" to get the ball away from the woman. Maybe he followed her to the concessions line and beat the crap out of her.

:rolling:

Pierzynski sucker punched her, Gload pried the ball out of her hands, and Podsednik took off with it down the concourse. That's teamwork!

Jerko
04-26-2005, 11:01 AM
:rolling:

Pierzynski sucker punched her, Gload pried the ball out of her hands, and Podsednik took off with it down the concourse. That's teamwork!

You left out the part where Harris had to relay it to Podsednik after Gload dropped it.

downstairs
04-26-2005, 11:13 AM
This is the reason I will never believe in the whole "cancer" thing. Jimmy Pearsall made a comment months ago that I fully agree with... when a team is winning, they always have a "good clubhouse", when they're losing they always have a "bad clubhouse".

The Oakland A's of the late 80's had a *poisonous* clubhouse, and they still won.

Guys don't play worse because they're hanging around with jerks. As well, they don't play better if they're hanging around with nice guys.

mdep524
04-26-2005, 11:58 AM
Well in fairness, it doesn't say HOW AJ "managed" to get the ball away from the woman. Maybe he followed her to the concessions line and beat the crap out of her. For some reason this really made me laugh uncontrollably. :smile:

Lip Man 1
04-26-2005, 12:02 PM
Did you also notice in that ESPN article, the little box with the best records for April in one run games?

I didn't know the Sox were 10-1 in those? LOL

Lip

ND_Sox_Fan
04-26-2005, 01:52 PM
I just don't see him getting along with players like Bonds in SF. I think that had more to do with his garnering that reputation than anything. AJ comes to the park every night hoping to fight someone on the other team and wouldn't mind if he had to straighten out a teammate. There aren't too many guys left with his fire and intensity, which was probably too much for the clowns in SF.

Ozzie is the perfect fit for AJ, and the rest of this team feeds off of that.

Not to go back to this again, but can you imagine if it was AJ that Hunter ran over last year? AJ would have gotten up, concussion and all, and killed him.

DaleJRFan
04-26-2005, 02:00 PM
...can you imagine if it was AJ that Hunter ran over last year? AJ would have gotten up, concussion and all, and killed him.

I can't imagine him needing to get up. I imagine him letting the ball past him (to the pitcher backing him up)... taking a few steps up the line and dropping a shoulder into Torii. As Torii lays mtionless and lifeless a few feet short of homeplate, he is then tagged OUT.

Ok, I can stop dreaming now.

Palehose13
04-26-2005, 02:05 PM
I can't imagine him needing to get up. I imagine him letting the ball past him (to the pitcher backing him up)... taking a few steps up the line and dropping a shoulder into Torii. As Torii lays mtionless and lifeless a few feet short of homeplate, he is then tagged OUT.

Ok, I can stop dreaming now.

You're not far off form what I was thinking which was: There's no way A.J. would have been standing a few feet in front of the plate not paying attention to Hunter.

D. TODD
04-26-2005, 05:04 PM
I've heard that A.J. has become the White Sox version of Curt Schilling in a way. He played the Royals game with the bad toe after being hit with a pitch. After the game his sock was soaked with blood, and the toe was in pretty bad shape. As a catcher the damaged toe had to be quite painful on every pitch. Everything I've heard is the opposite of a clubhouse cancer to this point!

halfpricemonday
04-26-2005, 05:57 PM
I've heard that A.J. has become the White Sox version of Curt Schilling in a way. He played the Royals game with the bad toe after being hit with a pitch. After the game his sock was soaked with blood, and the toe was in pretty bad shape. As a catcher the damaged toe had to be quite painful on every pitch. Everything I've heard is the opposite of a clubhouse cancer to this point!

I heard AJ donated his toe bandage to Cooperstown.
:D:

rmusacch
04-26-2005, 05:58 PM
wow. Cool story.

Reading that AJ socred from first on a double and made it to third on a single while having a severely messed up toe shows me he's on it. And not speaking to his ex-teammates... and now the homer ball for Widger... I love this guy.

:bandance:

I hated AJ when he was with the Twins. Thought he was a prick. He seems like one of those guys that you love if he is on your team and hate if he is on the other team.

guillen4life13
04-26-2005, 07:03 PM
I hated AJ when he was with the Twins. Thought he was a prick. He seems like one of those guys that you love if he is on your team and hate if he is on the other team.

Sorta like Dennis Rodman