PDA

View Full Version : Garland's Contract Status

mikehuff
04-26-2005, 08:05 AM
Can someone give me an idea of what Jon Garland's current contract status is like? Is he on his last year? Does the team have options to keep him? Stuff like that.

irish rover
04-26-2005, 09:07 AM
I believe he signed a 1 year deal to avoid arb for 3.5 mil, in Nov of 04

mike squires
04-26-2005, 09:34 AM
I believe he signed a 1 year deal to avoid arb for 3.5 mil, in Nov of 04

So what you're saying is next year he's going to be asking 12 million...:D:

That is the one thing about players performing well. They cost big bucks. Something the Sox do not always have.:whiner:

HomeFish
04-26-2005, 09:34 AM
Solution: capitalize on Garland's 4-0 start and win something now.

mikehuff
04-26-2005, 09:36 AM
So he's a free agent after this year then?

Frater Perdurabo
04-26-2005, 09:36 AM
If Garland keeps pitching like this, the Sox will keep winning, attendance will skyrocket and payroll won't be a problem.

Ol' No. 2
04-26-2005, 09:50 AM
So he's a free agent after this year then?Don't think so. You need 6 years and I don't think he's got that. He'd be arbitration-eligible for one more year. FA after 2006.

irish rover
04-26-2005, 09:52 AM
Don't think so. You need 6 years and I don't think he's got that. He'd be arbitration-eligible for one more year. FA after 2006.

sorry about not givin more details in my previous post, but this is correct he has one year left with arb eligible

mikehuff
04-26-2005, 09:55 AM
Don't think so. You need 6 years and I don't think he's got that. He'd be arbitration-eligible for one more year. FA after 2006.
Can you explain this a little more? I can never understand the arbitration stuff.

If the Sox don't want him anymore, can't they just let him go then? Wouldn't that make him a free agent? If they do want him, then an arbitrator would decide how much he's worth, unless the Sox set up a contract before hand?

Ol' No. 2
04-26-2005, 10:06 AM
Can you explain this a little more? I can never understand the arbitration stuff.

If the Sox don't want him anymore, can't they just let him go then? Wouldn't that make him a free agent? If they do want him, then an arbitrator would decide how much he's worth, unless the Sox set up a contract before hand?All correct. The Sox would have until Dec 20 to offer arbitration or come to an agreement on a contract. If they don't, he's considered "non-tendered" and becomes, in effect, a free agent.

Except the arbitrator doesn't "decide how much he's worth". The team and player each submit a figure and the arbitrator has to choose one or the other.

DaleJRFan
04-26-2005, 10:42 AM
I'd wager the Sox will offer him a reasonable offer. If he goes 23-6 with a 1.60 ERA, they'll make it happen. They have been EXPECTING this from him.

Foulke29
04-26-2005, 10:55 AM
It's quite funny to me to see this thread. Weren't fans at this site calling him Judy Garland just 3 months ago?

jabrch
04-26-2005, 11:24 AM
If JG continues to develop as he has, I'd love to see us lock him down for 3 years. More pressing from a contract perspective is Mark Buehrle. He is signed through 2006, and then will be a FA (same time as Garland).

I'd love to see them both inked to 3 year extensions, along with Freddy who just signed for 3 years. Then between the Cubans and BMac/Gio, we will have the ability to put out there a really dominant and deep pitching staff.

As long as we are talking contract status, does anyone have a source for all player contracts for the Sox?

Flight #24
04-26-2005, 11:33 AM
If JG continues to develop as he has, I'd love to see us lock him down for 3 years. More pressing from a contract perspective is Mark Buehrle. He is signed through 2006, and then will be a FA (same time as Garland).

I'd love to see them both inked to 3 year extensions, along with Freddy who just signed for 3 years. Then between the Cubans and BMac/Gio, we will have the ability to put out there a really dominant and deep pitching staff.

As long as we are talking contract status, does anyone have a source for all player contracts for the Sox?

That sounds great to me. Take the combined 10mil currently being given (by the Sox, not counting the Yanks $$$ for jose) to the cubans and redistribute that among JG, MB, FG. By then hopefully you have at least 1 young pitcher up and performing, leaving 1 slot for either another youngster if one's ready or a veteran ala El Duque.

Frater Perdurabo
04-26-2005, 11:43 AM
That sounds great to me. Take the combined 10mil currently being given (by the Sox, not counting the Yanks $$$ for jose) to the cubans and redistribute that among JG, MB, FG. By then hopefully you have at least 1 young pitcher up and performing, leaving 1 slot for either another youngster if one's ready or a veteran ala El Duque.

They need to lock up Buehrle and Garland to new three-year contracts, pronto, before their prices skyrocket later this season.

cleanwsox
04-26-2005, 11:47 AM
Just another way to rub it into Cubs fan this year.

How's Matt Karchner doing?

jabrch
04-26-2005, 11:52 AM

Freddy just signed a 3 year deal - so we don't have to worry about him for a while. Buehrle will be a top tier FA after 2006, likely to get 12ish MM per. If Garland keeps it up, he'd go around where Clement/Lowe did - 9mm. Freddy makes 8mm I believe. That's almost 30mm for 3 starters. Hopefully the Sox can parlay this start into increased revenues and a good shot at continuing to expand payroll like they did this year.

wilburaga
04-26-2005, 11:56 AM
They need to lock up Buehrle and Garland to new three-year contracts, pronto, before their prices skyrocket later this season.

Buehrle is signed through 2006 with a club option for 2007. Garland at the end of this year will have 5 years and 71 days service time. I believe that is insufficient for free agency, but I'm not 100% sure. Whether he was arby eligible in 2003 would be determinative, I believe.

W

Flight #24
04-26-2005, 12:07 PM
Freddy just signed a 3 year deal - so we don't have to worry about him for a while. Buehrle will be a top tier FA after 2006, likely to get 12ish MM per. If Garland keeps it up, he'd go around where Clement/Lowe did - 9mm. Freddy makes 8mm I believe. That's almost 30mm for 3 starters. Hopefully the Sox can parlay this start into increased revenues and a good shot at continuing to expand payroll like they did this year.

True, but those 3 guys currently make about $18mil. So to cover their net increase in your projections, you need to find 12mil and there's 10 available form the Cubans.

Thus we should be able to keep our version of the "big3" even without a real payroll bump. And if we get a decent bump, we'll be able to sign a vet#5.

Also, both Buehrle & Garcia are Sox property through '07. Sox have a 9.5mil team option for 07 on MB with a 1mil buyout. I'd guess they'll be able to sign JG to a 2 or 3 year deal with salaries growing from 6-7 to 8-10 mil over the life of the deal. Something similar to Buehrle's deal.

jabrch
04-26-2005, 12:13 PM
True, but those 3 guys currently make about $18mil. So to cover their net increase in your projections, you need to find 12mil and there's 10 available form the Cubans.

Thus we should be able to keep our version of the "big3" even without a real payroll bump. And if we get a decent bump, we'll be able to sign a vet#5.

Also, both Buehrle & Garcia are Sox property through '07. Sox have a 9.5mil team option for 07 on MB with a 1mil buyout. I'd guess they'll be able to sign JG to a 2 or 3 year deal with salaries growing from 6-7 to 8-10 mil over the life of the deal. Something similar to Buehrle's deal.

Sweet...I didn't know we had a 2007 option on Mark. That's great. I'd love to see a dominant rotation stick around together for a few years. MB, JG, Freddy, 2 Cubans, BMac and Gio would have the potential to do that.

gobears1987
04-26-2005, 08:54 PM
It's quite funny to me to see this thread. Weren't fans at this site calling him Judy Garland just 3 months ago?
Yeah, we're fickle people, get over it.

Foulke29
04-27-2005, 12:22 AM
Yeah, we're fickle people, get over it.

I'm over it, but I still get a chuckle out of it.

AZChiSoxFan
04-27-2005, 02:04 PM

Try 3 WEEKS ago.

The Racehorse
04-27-2005, 02:06 PM
Try 3 WEEKS ago.

I thought is was 3 days ago.