PDA

View Full Version : How would Chicago react if the Flubs were 16-4?

white sox bill
04-26-2005, 07:01 AM
Not to mention an 8 game win streak?
*Downtown parade on Michigan Ave?
*Special pull-out sections in both papers?
*Three books documenting this season started?
*Printing of WS tix?
*3 day holiday, post offices closed, no school

What else?

mikehuff
04-26-2005, 07:09 AM
Well, the national news would love it just as much. I thought I'd check out ESPN this morning to see if we got any coverage...

During the intro they showed a bunch of NBA playoff highlights and one baseball nugget, and which did they pick?... "MARK PRIOR PUTS THE CUBS ON HIS BACK WITH A REMARKABLE OUTING!"

I looked today and there are 11 teams with a better record than the Cubs.

eastchicagosoxfan
04-26-2005, 07:32 AM
Under the Radar. Learn. Live it. Love it. There won't be a reason to cover them in October.

ja1022
04-26-2005, 08:22 AM
Last night, Balsa Wood's sore ****ing shoulder got more media attention than the streaking, 16-4 White Sox. I've never cried about the lack of attention the Sox get before, but this is complete bull****.

jackbrohamer
04-26-2005, 08:36 AM
The Cubune and Cub Times would pull their beat writers off the Sox and have them cover the Cubs full-time. The papers would stick with AP stories on the Sox which would be a HUGE improvement in both quality and accuracy of coverage.

Magic number would be on the front of both papers every day. This would have started a week ago.

Hangar18
04-26-2005, 08:38 AM
Welcome to my world. Ive been a SOX fans since day 1, and this was
something I noticed as younger person. Its total BS. The Chicago
Media first says it gives equal coverage. Then when its proven to be a lie,
they say they only covers the cubs more because they are winning.
Then when the sox and cubs have equal records, the media just tell
you that well they have a national following. When the SOX are winning?
The Media tells you to just be quiet ......and whats wrong with the cubs.

Hitmen77
04-26-2005, 08:40 AM
Not to mention an 8 game win streak?
*Downtown parade on Michigan Ave?
*Special pull-out sections in both papers?
*Three books documenting this season started?
*Printing of WS tix?
*3 day holiday, post offices closed, no school

What else?

The media would go bananas if this happened to the Cubs. Coverage on local newscasts would go beyond the sports segment and we'd be subjected to "news" segments about Cub fans going ga-ga over their team. Morning radio talk shows would go on and on about the Cubs. We wouldn't be able to take a piss without hearing "Go Cubbies!". As usual, Sox fans would be criticized for not getting on the Cubs bandwagon. Funny how we don't hear that criticism of Cub fans when the Sox are doing well.

Uncle_Patrick
04-26-2005, 08:56 AM
On "Fox News in The Morning" this morning Bruce Wolf led off the sportcast by commenting that if the Cubs were 16-4, no one would hear about Bulls and no one would know the name of the Bears first round draft pick. If the Cubs (or the Yankees or the Red Sox, for that matter) started off with a record like this, the media would already have them penciled in for the World Series. But the Sox are treated like a fluke. Besides the usual biases (especially locally), I think a lot of this has to do with the fact that so many "experts" picked the Sox for 3rd or 4th place this year, and it wounds their pride to look so wrong now. I think that if the Twins or even the Indians started off like this, it would be treated with more legitimacy since so many "experts" picked those two teams to win the AL Central.

SoxFan78
04-26-2005, 09:03 AM
The media bias is killing me. Sportscenter falling all over themselves because Mark Prior got another win. Wow, he did his job, lets kiss his ass.

But on the West Coast, some other chicago player pitches a complete game, shutout, leading his team to 8 wins in a row and a league leading record, but its all a fluke.

Complete BS!:angry:

Hangar18
04-26-2005, 09:19 AM
A co-worker asked me just yesterday, why I wear so much SOX stuff.
I told him its my way of supporting my SOX, and also its a special screw-you
to the Chicago Media. When someone sees me wearing my shirt, jacket,
hat or whatever else I have, It lets them know im NOT a fan of the Corporation, but a fan of the best in baseball, 16-5 south-siders.

Uncle_Patrick
04-26-2005, 09:22 AM
But on the West Coast, some other chicago player pitches a complete game, shutout, leading his team to 8 wins in a row and a league leading record, but its all a fluke.

Last night, I turned on BBTN between the top and the bottom of the 9th inning and they kept going on and on about Zito and what a great game he was pitching until Widger's homerun. BBTN did give props to the Sox after that, but I swear that they gave as much (if not more) time to just Zito as they did to the Sox as a whole.

Ol' No. 2
04-26-2005, 09:23 AM
On "Fox News in The Morning" this morning Bruce Wolf led off the sportcast by commenting that if the Cubs were 16-4, no one would hear about Bulls and no one would know the name of the Bears first round draft pick. If the Cubs (or the Yankees or the Red Sox, for that matter) started off with a record like this, the media would already have them penciled in for the World Series. But the Sox are treated like a fluke. Besides the usual biases (especially locally), I think a lot of this has to do with the fact that so many "experts" picked the Sox for 3rd or 4th place this year, and it wounds their pride to look so wrong now. I think that if the Twins or even the Indians started off like this, it would be treated with more legitimacy since so many "experts" picked those two teams to win the AL Central.Actually, it's beginning to get funny how hard the mediots are straining to ignore the elephant in their living room.

Uncle_Patrick
04-26-2005, 09:24 AM
16-5 south-siders.

Its 16-4. :D:

FRANK FORT
04-26-2005, 09:25 AM
Hangar, What Do You Mean 16-5?

TommyJohn
04-26-2005, 09:45 AM
Its 16-4. :D:

That's the second time in a couple of days he's gotten the record wrong. How
very Cub fan-like.

white sox bill
04-26-2005, 09:51 AM
Hangar, What Do You Mean 16-5?

Great, now Henry jinxed us for tonights game!!

jackbrohamer
04-26-2005, 09:58 AM
If the Cubs started 16-4, it would also give their fans and the media an opportunity to invent a new "curse" to explain why they're out of it by the All Star Break.

Palehose13
04-26-2005, 10:03 AM
Last night, I turned on BBTN between the top and the bottom of the 9th inning and they kept going on and on about Zito and what a great game he was pitching until Widger's homerun. BBTN did give props to the Sox after that, but I swear that they gave as much (if not more) time to just Zito as they did to the Sox as a whole.

That's cause Zito has pitched like crap so far this season.

Under the radar is fine with me. They won't know what hit 'em come October.

Uncle_Patrick
04-26-2005, 10:19 AM
That's cause Zito has pitched like crap so far this season.

Under the radar is fine with me. They won't know what hit 'em come October.

Yeah, I know about Zito's crappy season and all, its just sort of annoying that one player gets as much coverage as an entire team.

I agree with you about October. I'd love to see all those supposed "experts" who picked the Sox for 4th place to eat their words.

JB98
04-26-2005, 12:37 PM
Great, now Henry jinxed us for tonights game!!

Actually, I think Henry is helping us. Yesterday, he referred to us as the "15-5 White Sox," and we won to move to 16-4. Now, we're the "16-5 White Sox." Hopefully, that means we'll be 17-4 tomorrow. As long as we keep winning, I hope Hangar prematurely gives us our fifth loss everyday.

I'm still waiting for the Cubune to give me my breakdown of how many wins the Sox need to collect in each month in order to reach 100.

Shorty1983
04-26-2005, 01:32 PM
I'm sorry folks, but Daley wouldn't allow that in Chicago.

SOXSINCE'70
04-26-2005, 01:36 PM
If the sCrUBS were 16-4,they'd have the WS trophy engraved with
the names Carrie Woods, Mark Prior and Scam-Me.:D: :D:

OOPS,HE'S NOT ON THE TEAM ANYMORE.NOT THAT A
sCrUBS fan would be paying attention.:angry: :angry:

WhiteSoxFan84
04-26-2005, 01:48 PM
It sucks, but let's not kid ourselves. sCrUBS Nation is much bigger compared to Sox Nation. ESPN wants ratings so they will show the Cubs, Yankees, Red Sox, etc. in their intro's. They did spend some time on the Sox with their Baseball Tonight Fools last night on Sportscenter. Jon Kruk let out the Sox secret; they're doing with amazing pitching.

I honestly like having the Sox still not getting as much attention because I don't want those bandwagon idiots turning into Sox fans. Keep them as far away as possible.

ExpoPuddingHead
04-26-2005, 05:06 PM
Now i know espn has a red sox, yankees, and cubs bias and thats understandable since those are the three most popular teams in baseball but the chicago media bias towards the cubs just pisses me off. I watched around the horn and of course the chicago sportswriter is the only one that thinks the sox will end up failing. I echo the host's words of, "how do you get any readers."

samram
04-26-2005, 05:32 PM
Now i know espn has a red sox, yankees, and cubs bias and thats understandable since those are the three most popular teams in baseball but the chicago media bias towards the cubs just pisses me off. I watched around the horn and of course the chicago sportswriter is the only one that thinks the sox will end up failing. I echo the host's words of, "how do you get any readers."

I saw that too. My thought was that it's not that he doesn't think the Sox will win the division, it's that he hopes the Sox don't win the division. Another thing I noticed watching that show- all but Mariotti seem to be willing to admit they were wrong (even if it's in a nonobvious, humorous way, which is fine by me).

As for why he has readers, well, unfortunately, he plays people for fools. Even if they don't buy what he's saying, they're reading it because he makes people feel something. You would think it would be easy to avoid him, since in order to read his stuff, you have to buy a complete turd of a rag or visit their website, but apparently not. Hell, everyday he's good for a thread in the roadhouse.

shoota
04-26-2005, 05:53 PM

Game leading record. :smile:

I'm still waiting for the Cubune to give me my breakdown of how many wins the Sox need to collect in each month in order to reach 100.

I almost forgot about that. Paul Sullivan did it, right?

pickingleaves20
04-26-2005, 08:18 PM
It sucks, but let's not kid ourselves. sCrUBS Nation is much bigger compared to Sox Nation. ESPN wants ratings so they will show the Cubs, Yankees, Red Sox, etc. in their intro's. They did spend some time on the Sox with their Baseball Tonight Fools last night on Sportscenter. Jon Kruk let out the Sox secret; they're doing with amazing pitching.

I honestly like having the Sox still not getting as much attention because I don't want those bandwagon idiots turning into Sox fans. Keep them as far away as possible.

You're right. No one wants a fan that just there because a team is winning. Give us no coverage and real fans, instead of more coverage and fake fans.

Viva Medias B's
04-26-2005, 08:42 PM
If the Evil Empire takes this game and wins its third in a row, the media will act like they're 16-4.

RKMeibalane
04-26-2005, 08:50 PM
The entire city would be covered in blue liquid as a result of the gigantic Cubgasm that would result.

DumpJerry
04-26-2005, 10:49 PM
I'm starting to wonder how the local mediots would react if the Flubs were 2 games over .500.

That is just as much of a fantasy this season so far as them going 16-4.......