PDA

View Full Version : Media Men like to pout

fquaye149
04-26-2005, 07:00 AM
http://www.suntimes.com/output/deluca/cst-spt-deluca26.htm

Garland has made a career out of being inexplicably mediocre. He seems primed for a losing stretch to balance the scales.

No research at all as to WHY Garland has been having this early-season success. No walks?

Dustin Hermanson could be the closer in waiting, but there must be a reason why the San Francisco Giants would let their closer walk away in the offseason.

If there MUST be, why don't you tell us. Because you don't know?....of course.

The Sox have a thin bench,

Perhaps. Or maybe they have speed and defense as well as decent situational hitting on the bench.

It's not a completely worthless article, but jeez...the grapes are tasting pretty sour at the Chicago presses.

soltrain21
04-26-2005, 07:47 AM
Well, the law of average DOES state that Garland is bound to lose sooner or later. I was not aware that pitchers are not allowed to turn the corner in their career. And no comment on that Hermanson line, that is just stupid.

samram
04-26-2005, 07:48 AM
Proving once again why the Sun-Times would never be allowed in my home except to be used to train a puppy. Hell, I once had a pet bird that would hold its crap in until I put something with more journalistic integrity on the cage floor.

jabrch
04-26-2005, 07:57 AM
Is it just me, or do we have one of the deepest benches in the AL?

elrod
04-26-2005, 08:12 AM
That's not a bad article, actually. I liked this part:

"The Sox are 4-1 in games in which they score two runs or fewer. They were 1-44 in such games last season and 2-42 in 2003 -- meaning they already have won more games in this category three weeks into the season than the previous two seasons combined."

SoxFan48
04-26-2005, 08:22 AM
The author's concern about our last in OBP make up in large part because we are last in walks is justfied.

Over the weekend for the first time I saw the kind of patience at the plate that raise OBP.

Actually, I think the defense has been pretty good (acknowleding that the 4 error Sunday was a stinker).

DaleJRFan
04-26-2005, 08:22 AM
I am fairly certain the "thin bench" comment is in regards to Timo, Gload, Ozuna, and the rest of the bunch being thin and physically fit!

F--- em all. Under the Radar.

ode to veeck
04-26-2005, 10:01 AM
not a bad article at all, right up until the last paragraph where he blows it ...

Randar68
04-26-2005, 10:06 AM
Is it just me, or do we have one of the deepest benches in the AL?

The problem is, outside of Widger, who is the starting catcher until AJ returns, Ozuna is our only righty off the bench.

Flight #24
04-26-2005, 10:06 AM
If I may plagiarize, my response to Chris Deluca will echo my response to the rest of the local & national media that are dumb enough not to get it that this team is just plain good.

Chris Deluca, I'm sorry that you don't like our #5 starter and his 1.80ERA / 0.87WHIP

I'm sorry that you don't like our reliever who's 19-22 in save opportunites over the past 1+years

I'm sorry that you don't like our bench with it's strong D, situational hitting, and team attitude.

But you know what - I don't care.

PatK
04-26-2005, 10:32 AM
That "weak bench" drove in two pinch hit game winning runs over the weekend.

jackbrohamer
04-26-2005, 10:45 AM
What about this POS that was in Padilla's Sun Times article:

"The Sox are well aware they haven't been fooling anybody with a hot start that has been more image over substance."

Yah, they are winning because they are lucky, never mind the lights out starting pitching.
Why do the Sox always have complete morons covering them.

voodoochile
04-26-2005, 10:53 AM
Yah, they are winning because they are lucky, never mind the lights out starting pitching.
Why do the Sox always have complete morons covering them.

It's that particular point that gets me time and time again in these articles and quotes of articles. Not a single reporter mentions the amazing starting pitching as a group. I mean guys like Buehrle, Garcia and El Duque have been top of the rotation starters for a while now, but for some reason, they are "flukes" to be pitching this well. Yes, Contreras hasn't been consitent, but realistically he's the fourth pitcher on the team and only because Garland was penciled in at 5.

The Sox finally built a starting staff that every other team in the league would love to have and it gets completely ignored when talking about the great start the team is having.

The offense sucks
The bench sucks
Select bullpen guys have high ERA's

HOW ARE THEY DOING IT?

Well it seems to me you've missed one key element in your analysis...:rolleyes: