PDA

View Full Version : 2003 Royals 16-4

kingpin_rcs
04-26-2005, 02:09 AM
In no way would I compare these Sox to the 2003 Royals but they did have the same record after the first 20 games and look how they ended up. They started the season with a nine game winning streak and rode that all the way to a 7.5 game lead at the all-start break only to fall to 3rd place by seasons end.

The Sox pithcing is way deeper than those Royals and we have been a decent team for 5 years now whereas they came out of nowhere to be contenders.

I'm not trying to throw a wet blanket on what is an otherwise intoxicating season so far but before you go around gloating remember that there is still a lot of baseball left.

I really believe in the Sox but, being a Sox fan, I am going to remain cautiously optomistic.

TomParrish79
04-26-2005, 02:13 AM
I am gonna enjoy the great start, but everyone else like me knows its just April and anything and everything could happen. Its going to be really tough to hold off the Twins but its gonna be fun rooting for the Sox to do it.

seanpmurphy
04-26-2005, 02:16 AM
I am gonna enjoy the great start, but everyone else like me knows its just April and anything and everything could happen. Its going to be really tough to hold off the Twins but its gonna be fun rooting for the Sox to do it.

Best picture I've ever seen in a post. MST3K rocks.

Everyone I know is enjoying the start, but only a fool would think this is going to be the status quo for the Sox. We're realists, not Cubs fans. But still, I think the Sox have a legit shot at doing a lot of great things all season long this year. Stay faithful!

MIgrenade
04-26-2005, 02:25 AM
In no way would I compare these Sox to the 2003 Royals but they did have the same record after the first 20 games and look how they ended up. They started the season with a nine game winning streak and rode that all the way to a 7.5 game lead at the all-start break only to fall to 3rd place by seasons end.

The Sox pithcing is way deeper than those Royals and we have been a decent team for 5 years now whereas they came out of nowhere to be contenders.

I'm not trying to throw a wet blanket on what is an otherwise intoxicating season so far but before you go around gloating remember that there is still a lot of baseball left.

I really believe in the Sox but, being a Sox fan, I am going to remain cautiously optomistic.

I was thinking the same thing about this start. I guess we will know in May. For some reason when the month changes some teams will suddenly fall apart or get real good. My hope is that the offense (that means you Paulie) gets hot and the pitching keeps it close to what they have been doing.
Of course those Royals started 10-0 if I recall, maybe I'm wrong, but if I'm right then they went 6-4 in their next ten. The Sox seem to be getting stronger rather than weaker. Anyway, it's fun for now!

Lip Man 1
04-26-2005, 02:27 AM
I think the Royals started 17-3 then fell apart in May, came back very strong in June and early July and after the All Star break completely fell apart.

Lip

popilius
04-26-2005, 02:56 AM
I've been reminding people lately about the 2003 Royals, but not too burst anyone's bubble. As long as people stay healthy on the Sox, we should be in close running for the division in September.

Actually, if we can play .500 ball for the rest of the year, we'll win 91 games. The Twins won the division the last three years with win totals of 92, 90, and 94.

:gulp:

ilsox7
04-26-2005, 03:03 AM
I've been reminding people lately about the 2003 Royals, but not too burst anyone's bubble. As long as people stay healthy on the Sox, we should be in close running for the division in September.

Actually, if we can play .500 ball for the rest of the year, we'll win 91 games. The Twins won the division the last three years with win totals of 92, 90, and 94.

:gulp:

If we play .500 ball the rest of the way we finish with 87 wins.

batmanZoSo
04-26-2005, 03:16 AM
Okay, so we can't get too excited about this? I see.

SoxxoS
04-26-2005, 03:23 AM
Okay, so we can't get too excited about this? I see.

Absolutely not. I would have rather seen us .500 or worse to see how we would have responded to adversity. These guys will probably just get cocky.

Plus, how fun is September going to be if we have clinched the division so early? Not very.

I mean, that 2003 Royal pitching staff was LIGHTS OUT...we are talking 4 possibly 5 future hall of famers here-

Darrell May
Jeremy Affeldt
Curtis Leskanic
Mike MacDougal
Brian Anderson
Runelvys Hernandez
Al Levine
D.J. Carrasco
Jimmy Gobble
Jamey Wright
Kevin Appier
Nate Field
Jose Lima
Jeremy Hill
Miguel Asencio

What was your favorite part of the Jimmy Gobble era?

SSN721
04-26-2005, 07:43 AM
Absolutely not. I would have rather seen us .500 or worse to see how we would have responded to adversity. These guys will probably just get cocky.

Plus, how fun is September going to be if we have clinched the division so early? Not very.

I mean, that 2003 Royal pitching staff was LIGHTS OUT...we are talking 4 possibly 5 future hall of famers here-

Darrell May
Jeremy Affeldt
Curtis Leskanic
Mike MacDougal
Brian Anderson
Runelvys Hernandez
Al Levine
D.J. Carrasco
Jimmy Gobble
Jamey Wright
Kevin Appier
Nate Field
Jose Lima
Jeremy Hill
Miguel Asencio

I think my favorite part of the Jimmy Gobble Era was when I got him for nothing on baseball mogul 2003 and he won 15 games for me before I dumped him for some good hitters. :D:

Dan H
04-26-2005, 08:08 AM
The best thing about this start is it gives us Sox fans hope for a change and that sure beats the gloom and doom that has followed the bad starts during recent years. It is good to feel caustiously optimistic than know the season is over.

samram
04-26-2005, 08:45 AM

Darrell May
Jeremy Affeldt
Curtis Leskanic
Mike MacDougal
Brian Anderson
Runelvys Hernandez
Al Levine
D.J. Carrasco
Jimmy Gobble
Jamey Wright
Kevin Appier
Nate Field
Jose Lima
Jeremy Hill
Miguel Asencio

You know, I was gonna post some similar to this. I don't know if there's one guy who started for KC that year who could be in the Sox rotation this year- maybe Anderson. Furthermore, IIRC, that bullpen really hurt them through the summer, and I just don't see that happening to this Sox team.

Sure, anything can happen, but I don't think the Royals comparisons are all that valid. On the other hand, the Sox are sure to be picked to win the division next year.

elrod
04-26-2005, 09:01 AM
The key to the Royals' fast start in 2003 was not pitching. It was the hitting. Ken Harvey, Brent Mayne, Raul Ibanez, Angel Berroa and Desi Relaford were absolutely lights out in April 2003, as was Randa. All of them came back to earth by mid-May. The pitching staff was healthy too - but all of them except Darrell May suffered injuries.

There are only two players on the White Sox this year who are legitimately playing above their station: Joe Crede and Jon Garland. And both of them may have actually turned a corner in their careers, especially Garland. The reason to think this team is different is that the pitching staff is experienced and strong, and the lineup is, if anything, underproducing.

The key going forward is health and mentality. The guys are a bit banged up now, with AJ, Pods, Hermanson and Contreras getting nicked here and there. But nothing serious yet. The depth on the team with Ozuna, Harris, Timo and the bullpen has helped us through this. As for mentality, that's why the Oakland series is so important. We've taken care of one so far. If we win today or tomorrow then we can officially declare the West Coast blues history. With that, and early season strength against the Twins, there is really nothing standing in the way. As long as guys pick each other up, like Widger, then the guys will feel less pressure. That's why the Yankees do so well - each player who struggles knows that somebody else will pick him up. So he can focus on getting back in the groove and not pressing. That's what I see in the Sox right now. If it stays up, with contributions up and down the roster, then this team will be truly special.

elrod
04-26-2005, 09:03 AM
Whatever happened to Jimmy Gobble anyway? If the Royals could get a healthy Gobble, Greinke and Runelvys they'd have a decent nucleus a la Cleveland with Westbrook, CC and Millwood (and maybe Lee).

HomeFish
04-26-2005, 09:08 AM
Hey, at least Ozzie will win Manager of the Year!

Seriously, why did they give that to a guy that blew a 7.5 game lead? In fact, he he got leapfrogged by not one, but TWO teams! The Twins were 8.5 GB at the half.

Palehose13
04-26-2005, 09:22 AM
The best thing about this start is it gives us Sox fans hope for a change and that sure beats the gloom and doom that has followed the bad starts during recent years. It is good to feel caustiously optimistic than know the season is over.

Yeah, I was thinking along those lines the other day. Doesn't it feel good to not have to say to yourself "There is plenty of time for them to catch up!"

infohawk
04-26-2005, 10:02 AM
I think the Royals started 17-3 then fell apart in May, came back very strong in June and early July and after the All Star break completely fell apart.

Lip

That Royal team had a lot of very young and unproven pitchers. The Sox have a veteran staff, both starters and relievers. The Sox are a perfect example of a very fundamentally sound, non-flashy team that will wait teams out until they make mistakes.

Fake Chet Lemon
04-26-2005, 01:51 PM
I fail to see why anyone would compare this team to the '03 Royals. Very little in common between the two teams.

The Racehorse
04-26-2005, 01:56 PM

... and to fall to last place in 2004. :wink:

gosox41
04-26-2005, 01:57 PM
If we play .500 ball the rest of the way we finish with 87 wins.

That's not going to get the team to the playoffs.

Bob

SoxSpeed22
04-26-2005, 02:00 PM
Hey, at least Ozzie will win Manager of the Year!

Seriously, why did they give that to a guy that blew a 7.5 game lead? In fact, he he got leapfrogged by not one, but TWO teams! The Twins were 8.5 GB at the half.Tony Pena took a talentless team into pseudo-contention and finished above .500. As well as getting close to a 30 win improvement from the year before. The Sox are way more talented than the Royals were and talent gets you into October.

DSpivack
04-28-2005, 07:23 PM
I fail to see why anyone would compare this team to the '03 Royals. Very little in common between the two teams.

I don't think anyone is genuinely comparing the two teams, just cautioning not to anoint this team into the playoffs just yet. April is not even over. Like the Hawk quote many people have posted, "You can't win a divsion in April, but you can lose one."

tstrike2000
04-28-2005, 11:13 PM
Baseball truly is amazing because of how teams fluctuate over the course of the season. On the flipside of a good April the '01 White Sox were 15-29 by mid May, only to win like 16 of 20 in July and finished that year 83-79. We have a better overall team than the last few years, improved pitching and defense which is why I think we'll play more consistantly than the Royals team of '03. When Big Hurt gets back, we will have more of that potent lineup offesnsively. Anything can happen, but with this team I really like our chances.