PDA

View Full Version : Would you cheer a no hitter...

mike squires
04-25-2005, 10:21 PM
for the opposing team at Comiskey? I remember Jack Morris pitched on against us in 84 and the crowd was pulling for him to do it. IMO, it would depend on the circumstances and where we were placed and in relation to the timing of the season. I think it was early April when jack pitched his.

First one who guesses the last out on that day gets a smiley face and a pat on the back...Player and what he did. No cheating or looking please...

chisoxfan79
04-25-2005, 10:29 PM
I would cheer for somone to get a no hitter if I was at the game because I want to witness history. I was at the game where Mike Cameron hit 4 homers and I was cheering after the 4th because I just witnessed history.

Brian26
04-25-2005, 10:53 PM
for the opposing team at Comiskey?

No.

Iguana775
04-25-2005, 10:56 PM
yea, for it to be broken up by a sox player.

faneidde
04-25-2005, 11:03 PM
If someone pitched a no hitter against the Sox, I'd stand up and applaud, but I wouldn't cheer for it during the game. A perfect game might be another story, not sure though.

halfpricemonday
04-25-2005, 11:04 PM
History is what scorecards are for.

For me, I reserve my cheering for a) the Sox, b) whoever is playing the Twins, c) whoever is playing the Cubs.

MRKARNO
04-25-2005, 11:08 PM
Only if the game didnt matter.

ondafarm
04-25-2005, 11:11 PM
First one who guesses the last out on that day gets a smiley face and a pat on the back...Player and what he did. No cheating or looking please...

Naharodney(sp) strikes out?

DC Sox Fan
04-25-2005, 11:11 PM
I saw Nomo toss a no-no at Camden Yards in 2001 opening series when he pitched for the Red Sawx. O's fans were on their feet cheering for him. I wasn't an O's fan so I didn't give 2 ****s. I cheered for him anyway. It was cool to be able to say I've seen 1 live.

Rocklive99
04-25-2005, 11:14 PM
no chance

GiveMeSox
04-25-2005, 11:22 PM
yes becuase i love baseball that is an enormous feat no matter what team you play for, well i would cheer as long as it wasn't a cub

mweflen
04-25-2005, 11:23 PM
no way no how. i don't care if the guy came back from testicular cancer and pulling babies out of traffic the previous day. no way i want some bozo to come in and no-hit my sox.

OKCidiot
04-25-2005, 11:29 PM
I love seeing no-hitters as much as anyone, but not at the Sox' expense. I remember in 1983, Milt Wilcox was one out away from throwing a perfect game when Jerry Hairston broke it up with a pinch-hit single. I took quite a ribbing from some college acquaintences, but look at it this way... LaRussa didn't send Hairston in to meekly lay down and die.

I will admit I thorougly enjoyed Andy Hawkins' no-hitter in 1990 (where the Sox beat them 4-0). My only regret is that I had to work that day, while all my ballpark buddies were there to witness it first hand.

GO SOX!!!!!

Hagan
04-25-2005, 11:34 PM
It would be cool to see but I don't think that I would cheer against the white sox. I think I would aslo be to angry to cheer for the oposing pitcher.

TaylorStSox
04-25-2005, 11:36 PM
Definitely. Sometimes you have to tip your cap to the guy that has that kind of day. Cheering for the opposing pitcher whose pitching a no no is universal around the league.

Soxzilla
04-25-2005, 11:37 PM
Ironically I was getting no hit by Jason Johnson in my videogame today. Fortunately Scotty Pods broke it up with 2 outs in the ninth with a single, then Iguchi hit a BOMB to straight-away center field for the walk off 2-0 win.:cool: Eat **** Johnson.

And to answer the question, I'd only cheer after the accomplishment, or after it was broken up. Otherwise, I'd hope my sox would break it up.

Epark84
04-25-2005, 11:37 PM
I would applaud it if it did happen, but i wouldnt be on my feet with 2 outs in the bot of 9 hoping it happens. But you gotta tip your cap if it does.

illinibk
04-25-2005, 11:38 PM
If someone pitched a no hitter against the Sox, I'd stand up and applaud, but I wouldn't cheer for it during the game. A perfect game might be another story, not sure though.
That's how I would do it as well. I would hope the Sox could break it up, but if they got no hit, the opposing pitcher deserves applause.

TDog
04-25-2005, 11:45 PM
for the opposing team at Comiskey? I remember Jack Morris pitched on against us in 84 and the crowd was pulling for him to do it. IMO, it would depend on the circumstances and where we were placed and in relation to the timing of the season. I think it was early April when jack pitched his.

I think Kittle struck out.

jake27
04-25-2005, 11:47 PM
yes i would cheer a no hitter. im a baseball fan, ive never seen 1 in person and would LOVE ot see 1 in person

chisox2005
04-25-2005, 11:51 PM
Wouldn't cheer for it to happen, but would definately give a standing ovation after it happen. Not too many times are you going to get a chance to see a no-hitter.

Tragg
04-25-2005, 11:54 PM
Never.

Now I might be glad I saw it in retrospect. But I would never cheer for it.

StillMissOzzie
04-26-2005, 12:26 AM
I was at a Kane County Cougars game where the Cougars did get a no-no tossed at them. Granted, my heart and soul are not behind the KCC like they are the White Sox, but myself and the vast majority of the crowd were cheering for the no-no.

SMO
:gulp:

Erik The Red
04-26-2005, 12:47 AM
I was cheering for a no-hitter at Sox Park on July 1, 1990. :cool:

Lip Man 1
04-26-2005, 01:01 AM
For me it would depend on the score of the game. If it was say 1-0 or 2-0 absolutely not because the Sox still had a chance to win the game, but if it was 7-0 in the 8th inning and the other guy has a no-no...you bet I would.

As far as Morris no hitter it came on the first Saturday of the season, it was the NBC-TV Game of the Week. The Sox had their chances, they loaded the bases one inning when Morris walked three guys then fell behind Greg Luzinski I think, 3-0 before coming back to strike him out. I remember Tom Paciorek with that inside/out swing of his hit a ripping drive down the first base line that Dave Bergman (I think) jumped and made the catch. I think Ron Kittle made the last out with a strike out.

The Sox were also no-hit during the 1983 season as well in late September in Oakland by a kid named Mike Warren.

Speaking of no-hitters the last Sox pitcher to toss a no-no at home was Joe Horlen back in 1967, the last Sox pitcher to throw a no hitter anywhere was Wilson Alvarez in 1991.

Lip

seanpmurphy
04-26-2005, 01:03 AM
History is what scorecards are for.

For me, I reserve my cheering for a) the Sox, b) whoever is playing the Twins, c) whoever is playing the Cubs.

Damn right. Who wants to see their favorite team get pitched a no-hitter against? Come on!

dcb33
04-26-2005, 01:11 AM
I was cheering for a no-hitter at Sox Park on July 1, 1990. :cool:

I'll never forget watching that game on TV. I don't believe Andy Hawkins gets c...redit for the no hitter, however, since he lost. That game was also the largest margian of a no hitter loss in the 20th century.

Damn straight I would cheer an opposing pitcher if he no hit the Sox after the game ended. I would certainly not cheer for the oppsing pitcher during the game. For people like me who may only get around to seeing 10-15 baseball games in person per year, the probability of witnessing a no hitter in person is incredibly rare. Although it would suck to see the Sox lose, witnessing history would be a decent consolation worthy of admiration and respect.

Lip Man 1
04-26-2005, 01:36 AM
DCB:

For a period of time it was recognized as a no-hitter same as the Sox' Melido Perez six inning rain shortened no-hitter in New York in June (?) 1990.

A few years later though MLB changed the record books eliminating all rain shortened no-hitters, no-hit games that were losing efforts regardless of how long (i.e. Harvey Haddix in 1959) and no-hit games that only went eight innings (that happens when a visiting team's pitcher throws a no-hitter but the home team wins the game i.e. Hawkins on July 1, 1990.)

Lip

soxfanreggie
04-26-2005, 01:39 AM
The only no-hitter I would cheer for is either 1) a WHITE SOX pitcher or 2) someone who's playing a team the Sox need to lose...like Minnesota...

OKCidiot
04-26-2005, 01:41 AM
DCB:

For a period of time it was recognized as a no-hitter same as the Sox' Melido Perez six inning rain shortened no-hitter in New York in June (?) 1990.

A few years later though MLB changed the record books eliminating all rain shortened no-hitters, no-hit games that were losing efforts regardless of how long (i.e. Harvey Haddix in 1959) and no-hit games that only went eight innings (that happens when a visiting team's pitcher throws a no-hitter but the home team wins the game i.e. Hawkins on July 1, 1990.)

Lip

Yep, we have ol' fuddy-duddy Fay Vincent to thank for that!

Mohoney
04-26-2005, 01:42 AM

Amen. When Ichiro went 5 for 5 off Buehrle last year while he was chasing the hit record, I stood up and applauded, as did several thousand other fans at the ballpark. Buehrle even tipped his cap to him.

I wouldn't ever cheer for a no-no or a perfect game against us in our own park, but I would definitely applaud after the 27th out if somebody did it, except Johan Santana.

CHI_SOX_4_LIFE
04-26-2005, 01:43 AM
i would definetly not cheer for it during the game, i would want the sox to break it up. but if it did happen i would stand up and applaud after the game is over. something that great should be appreciated, unless its the cubs :cool:

popilius
04-26-2005, 01:45 AM

I'm with you on this one. I'd definitley not cheer for a no-hitter; I would want the Sox to get some hits, no matter how badly they might be losing.

Still, I would applaud a no-hitter after the game.

Actually, the only time I ever cheered for the opposing team was about 5 years ago when the Tigers played here. That game the Sox and Tigers tied the record for the most homers hit in a game with 12, and I was rooting for the Tigers hitters to hit another homer in the top of the 9th. The Sox won with a score of something like 13-9.

:gulp:

batmanZoSo
04-26-2005, 01:47 AM
Good...GOD!

mike squires
04-26-2005, 08:42 AM
I think Kittle struck out.

Congrats to TDOG. First one with the correct answer. Kittle did indeed strike out to end the game on one of those outside and in the dirt pitches Kittle was so prone to swing at. (I think it was a curve ball) Here is to you TDOG...

:) :) :)

Lip gets honorable mention. But only a small smiley...

:D:

SoxFan78
04-26-2005, 08:55 AM
If the game was out of hand, I would cheer for the other team's pitcher in the 9th inning to see the no-no. How often in your lifetime would you be able to see a no-hitter? Not often. So of course I would be cheering.

Now if the Cubs were trying to get a no hitter, I would be praying that in the bottom of the ninth, we would be bunting, slash bunting, trying anything to get on base.

jenmcm76
04-26-2005, 12:40 PM
I would definitely applaud it, not because I'd want to see the Sox lose, but because anyone who throws a no-hitter (or better yet, a perfect game) deserves RESPECT. That's one of the things I love about baseball - that for the most part, serious baseball fans recognize and appreciate greatness, regardless of which team achieves it. I don't think you can say that's as true with any other major team sport.

That said, I wouldn't root for it. I'd appreciate and applaud an opponent's no-hitter, but I'd cheer for the Sox player who breaks it up. Then I, like most of the fans, I imagine, would give the opposing pitcher a standing ovation.

voodoochile
04-26-2005, 12:45 PM
I'll never forget watching that game on TV. I don't believe Andy Hawkins gets c...redit for the no hitter, however, since he lost. That game was also the largest margian of a no hitter loss in the 20th century.

Damn straight I would cheer an opposing pitcher if he no hit the Sox after the game ended. I would certainly not cheer for the oppsing pitcher during the game. For people like me who may only get around to seeing 10-15 baseball games in person per year, the probability of witnessing a no hitter in person is incredibly rare. Although it would suck to see the Sox lose, witnessing history would be a decent consolation worthy of admiration and respect.

He also didn't have to pitch 9 innings because it was a road loss. MLB changed the rules a while back. They removed any no-hitters that were less than 9 innings from the record book (rain shortened for example) and any that ended up like Hawkins. You have to pitch at least 9 innings and win to qualify for the official list.

To answer the question, I would stand and applaud as the guy left the field for the final time. Feats like that you don't get to see very often. I was at Buehrle's 1 hitter in 2001 which was an amazing feat, but the hit came early so there was no suspense.

Fake Chet Lemon
04-26-2005, 12:57 PM
I would for certain applaud the effort. When Ichiro went 5 for 5 against us last year I stood up and applauded after his 5th hit. When you have kids you realize, you are not only passing down your love for the Sox, but just as importantly your passion for the game of baseball. When my kids are old enough they are going to hear all about Ichiro from me.

Well, unless it was a Cub pitcher. Gotta be completely honest.

Uncle_Patrick
04-26-2005, 01:08 PM
I would never cheer any pitcher for no-hitting the White Sox. I definitely wasn't cheering when Cameron hit the 4 home runs against the Sox.

I would cheer if someone hit a career milestone like 3000th hit, single season or career record-breaking homerun, 3000th strikeout, something of that nature. I might even cheer a 300th victory or something like. But I'd never cheer a feat that basically embarrasses (like 4 homeruns in a game) or shuts down (like a no hitter) the White Sox. I think I'd be far too angry.

gosox3072
04-26-2005, 01:09 PM
I would cheer for it as long as it is not a cub pitcher or the game close (1-0 or something like that) or if it is an extremely important game for the sox.

Sox-on-TV44
04-26-2005, 01:12 PM
You might as well tell me to eat maggots.I rather do that than cheer a no-hitter against the Sox.

BTW:Morris' no,no was in '84,a Cub year.So the year really sucked to me,till the San Diego Padres came along!

BigEdWalsh
04-26-2005, 02:03 PM
No f****** way!
I would probably applaud politely after the last out. Just a little bit, then I would resume being p***** off. If it were a Cub pitcher, not even polite applause.

The Racehorse
04-26-2005, 02:06 PM
No. I want to win every game.

ewokpelts
04-26-2005, 03:14 PM

First one who guesses the last out on that day gets a smiley face and a pat on the back...Player and what he did. No cheating or looking please... i would.....even if it was a twinkie pitcher

rdwj
04-26-2005, 03:22 PM
After the game was over, I would applaud - but not a second before. It's more about respecting a major accomplishment than cheering the opponent.

I remember a game last year when Ichiro Suzuki went 5 for 5. He got a nice ovation for it - a well deserved one. I'd expect the same thing for a no hitter and even a bigger one for a perfect game.

batmanZoSo
04-26-2005, 03:31 PM
I can't believe you guys. Not that I'm villifying you, just surprised you all feel this way. There's no way in HELL I want to see the Sox get no-hit and be all over the news because of it. And history? Talk about a lame reason...no-hitters happen pretty much every year and it doesn't take a hall of famer to do it, it's not that huge. I'll take a borken bat blooper with 2 outs and 2 strikes in the 9th over "history."

I can maybe see a perfect game and it would have to be a likeable opposing player, and we'd have to be losing by 3 or more in the 9th in an unimportant game. Maybe a guy like Jim Abbott I'd root for in that situtation. Or perhaps a veteran who just battled back from an illness or major injury.

Otherwise hell no. I'm too pissed about losing to care about some other guy's possible achievement. I guess I'm selfish like that. :wink:

Dick Allen
04-26-2005, 03:34 PM
No way would I want to see a no-hitter against the Sox. That would just be negative publicity for the Sox, which we seem to get enough of even with the best record in baseball.

Fake Chet Lemon
04-26-2005, 03:36 PM
I can't believe you guys. Not that I'm villifying you, just surprised you all feel this way. There's no way in HELL I want to see the Sox get no-hit and be all over the news because of it. And history? Talk about a lame reason...no-hitters happen pretty much every year and it doesn't take a hall of famer to do it, it's not that huge. I'll take a borken bat blooper with 2 outs and 2 strikes in the 9th over "history."

I can maybe see a perfect game and it would have to be a likeable opposing player, and we'd have to be losing by 3 or more in the 9th in an unimportant game. Maybe a guy like Jim Abbott I'd root for in that situtation. Or perhaps a veteran who just battled back from an illness or major injury.

Otherwise hell no. I'm too pissed about losing to care about some other guy's possible achievement. I guess I'm selfish like that. :wink:

Maybe I read the question wrong:

If it's "Would you applaud for a guy after he pitched a no hitter" I'd say yes.

If it's "would you be pulling for the guy to get the no-hitter late in the game" the answer is HELL NO.

mrfourni
04-26-2005, 03:43 PM
I would probably get the same dejected look on my face I get after every game I go to and they lose, pack my things, get in my car, go to the bar and talk about how much it sucked to watch my team get no-hit.

04-26-2005, 05:02 PM
After the game...not during...unless it was an age old Vet like Moyer

Realist
04-26-2005, 05:26 PM
I would applaud any pitcher that threw a no-hitter against any team at any time. If it happened against the Sox and I was at the game, I would still applaud but probably feel really crappy about the game and the resulting media coverage as I walked down the ramp to exit the park.

Fenway
04-26-2005, 06:04 PM
July 4, 1983 and I was at Yankee Stadium when Dave Righetti pitched a no hitter against Boston.

http://retrosheet.org/boxesetc/B07040NYA1983.htm

Put it this way I wasn't sorry to see Boggs strike out.

Now 18 years later Mike Mussina was one batter away from pitching the first perfect game in the history of Fenway Park. A no hitter is one thing but a perfect game is something else again.

http://retrosheet.org/boxesetc/B09020BOS2001.htm

Carl Everett broke it up and I had mixed emotions. The Yankees had already won the division, Boston was in a complete free fall under Joe Kerrigan but still it WAS the Yankees. ( in 1983 both teams stunk so it didn't matter as much )

But how many fans can say they were AT a perfect game :?:

jdm2662
04-26-2005, 06:19 PM
I might after the game when it's done, but not during it. I don't applaud opposing players during the game. I might say good play, or good D, etc. But, I would not cheer for any reason.

I will never forget the game with Andy Hawkins in 1990. Didn't the Yankees have like five errors that game? And help me out, the first dropped ball in left field that scored the three runs, where there two outs? I know when Jesse Barfield dropped his ball, there was.
________
JUSTIN BIEBER FAN (http://justinbieberfan.info/)

chisox06
04-26-2005, 06:24 PM
I wouldn't cheer during the game, but afterwards if a guy is that dominant I would cheer and the guy would proabaly deserve a standing ovation from the opposing crowd. As players say "you just have to tip your cap" when a guy is on like that, I think the crowd should do the same.

Same type of deal when you see a great catch by an opposing player, you might say damn at first, but I always give a clap on the play afterwards.

Fenway
04-26-2005, 06:35 PM
I might after the game when it's done, but not during it. I don't applaud opposing players during the game. I might say good play, or good D, etc. But, I would not cheer for any reason.

I will never forget the game with Andy Hawkins in 1990. Didn't the Yankees have like five errors that game? And help me out, the first dropped ball in left field that scored the three runs, where there two outs? I know when Jesse Barfield dropped his ball, there was.

http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/B07010CHA1990.htm

Game Played on Sunday, July 1, 1990 (D) at Comiskey Park I

NY A (http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/TNYA01990.htm) 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 - 0 4 3
CHI A (http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/TCHA01990.htm) 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 4 x - 4 0 2

Something I had forgotten

Hawkins was on the wrong side of a 7 inning no hitter 10 days later
Game Played on Thursday, July 12, 1990 (N) at Yankee Stadium

CHI A (http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/TCHA01990.htm) 0 0 3 1 4 0 0 - 8 9 1
NY A (http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/TNYA01990.htm) 0 0 0 0 0 0 x - 0 0 1

Medford Bobby
04-26-2005, 08:23 PM
:smile: Hey I was cheering my but off for a no-nitter at the July 1st 1990 game....when the Sox started scoring runs on Yankmee errors...many in the park started chanting "no-hitter....no-hitter........."
The odds are that I may never see a game like that again in person.......that's a tv game I have video taped as a favourite keeper.........(time for a DVD transfer??):cool:

Thoses rule changes for no hitters wouldn't happen if Bud Selig was still alive:(:

Bucky F. Dent
04-26-2005, 08:28 PM
I wouldn't boo the guy, but I'm not cheering him either.

jamteh
04-26-2005, 10:58 PM
I was at that game in '84. I was only 10-1/2 years old, but I was shocked people were cheering. I didn't. I think I remember Fisk dropping down a bunt in the ninth that almost stayed fair for a single. I really wanted him to break up that no hitter.

Lip Man 1
04-27-2005, 12:32 AM
There were two outs when Jim Leyritz dropped Robin Ventura's fly ball. there were still two outs when Barfield dropped his.

Lip

SSN721
04-27-2005, 08:08 AM
I think if it was a perfect game maybe, a no-hitter, I dont think so. I would applaud after the game but not during. Perfect game is a different story, it is so rare that I might, not sure though, I cant think of really any circumstance I would cheer for my SOx not to do well.

ma_deuce
04-27-2005, 08:27 AM
for the opposing team at Comiskey?

As long as its not the Cubs, I would give the opposing pitcher a standing ovation, but only after the game is lost. Until then, I would root the Sox to turn it around.

Deuce

downstairs
04-27-2005, 09:00 AM
Not during the game, no. Many, many teams have come back from being no-hit through the 7th, 8th, even 9th to win.

Maybe if we were getting crushed 13-0 or something... but I'd be more likely to boo the Sox than cheer the other team. I'd still want the other team to feel the sting of losing a no-hit bid by a Sox single or double or what have you.

(BTW, don't forget we're one of the few teams to WIN a game with zero hits. Maybe in that case, I'd cheer them on...)