PDA

View Full Version : i'm a noob and i have a rant

boiler up
04-25-2005, 09:26 PM
Hey guys,

Just a little bit about me before my rant. My name is Tom and I'm from Tinley Park. I am attending Purdue right now and am a freshman in mechanical engineering. I was raised a die hard sox fan/cub hater. I watch almost every inning of sox games thanks to mlb.tv.

Now onto my rant. When I came to Purdue last year, I half expected to see at least some southsider fans that could relate with me. Boy was I wrong. Nine out of ten baseball hats I see on people walking around campus are Cubs hats. I have come to the realization that because Indiana does not have a baseball team, everyone in the northern 3/4ths of the state root for the loveable cubbies.

Moving on, I have also befriended a cubs fan, and during the off season we were good friends. Now that season has started, things are a little different. He has teamed up with the other cub fans and are very good at being bitches about anything and everything. I used to try to argue with him, up until about the fifth game of this season. I decided to try something new; keep my mouth shut. So that's how it's been. I've been keeping my mouth shut because I was so sick of hearing them bash sox fans saying that all we are are hatred fans who are jealous of the cub fans. Don't forget that no one goes to our games, and The Cell is in the ghetto.

Anyway, now that I keep my mouth shut, the cubs fans are still all over me, yelling at me and telling me what an unsportsmanlike fan I am. EVEN THOUGH I HAVE NOT SAID ONE THING ABOUT BASEBALL FOR 2 WEEKS. This really makes me upset. They yell at us for being ****ty fans, though we really don't say alot compared to what they are saying. I can't stand it here in the baseball sense. They do all the smack talking yet blame it on us.

My Dad told me the other day that all we have to do is sit back and the good guys will come out on top. It's a great feeling knowing that Wood had to leave the game the other day with a "twinge" in his shoulder. Every time that cubbie bullpen is called the cub fans have to be twisting in their chair with the pain of their own stomache turning over on itself. They can blame Steve Bartman all they want, this year is for the sox, and I'm not going to let the northside losers bring me down to their own level.

Anyone have any suggestions on how I should act with my friend who is a cub fan? No matter what I do though, it's the sox fans' fault.

balke
04-25-2005, 09:31 PM
"15-4"

I just worked with a Cubs fan, and he said he hates how much of a business they are. He can't get tickets because of the prices, and the team isn't even good. They haven't put a good product out this year.

A lot of Cubs fans still "believe". The more they crash and burn, the angrier they get. I have a couple good friends that are Cubs fans, although we don't hangout much during the season. Right now, I just say 15-4, tell them how overrated their Wood is, and how ticked I'd be if we didn't have a bullpen coming in to this season.

I'm probably a bad sportsman in that respect, but I only speak the truth. That team sucks right now.

balke
04-25-2005, 09:32 PM
P.S. welcome, what do you think of Orton on the Bears?

VA_GoGoSox
04-25-2005, 09:35 PM
Sounds like you need new friends.:D:

boiler up
04-25-2005, 09:35 PM
P.S. welcome, what do you think of Orton on the Bears?

I'm pretty excited. I really hope he uses his size and has something good to contribute to the team. He's a nice guy to boot. I've met him a few times and have a couple of signed balls.

boiler up
04-25-2005, 09:39 PM
haha I just received an IM from him saying this

*****301 (8:37:51 PM): derek lee for mvp

I'm just going to keep my mouth shut.

BearSox
04-25-2005, 09:52 PM
I was so sick of hearing them bash sox fans saying that all we are are hatred fans who are jealous of the cub fans. Don't forget that no one goes to our games, and The Cell is in the ghetto.

Next time they say that we are jeaolous fans of the Cubs you hit them back with "what do the cubs have that I would be jealous about? A bunch of world series titles? Several years of a winning tradition? A better record in head to head competition between the two chicago teams?" If they come back at you that they have more fans and a better stadium you hit them with "If you're into baseball because of parks and fans, you're in it for the wrong reason, you're in it for the love of the game played and I love the white sox because their team and fans are all about the game, not that other stuff" That always shuts them up. BTW my fee is $50 and welcome aboard! :smile:

fusillirob1983
04-25-2005, 09:52 PM
It's pretty nice, most of my friends that are Cub fans actually can admit the Cubs have problems.

Banix12
04-25-2005, 10:13 PM
I have a couple of friends who are cubs fans, fortunately they don't give me a hard time over being a sox fans. In fact, our lively baseball discussions are what make us good friends. I think because they grew up outside chicago in southern indiana they never got the full effect of the sox/cubs thing.

I think you are doing the right thing to not bash them for being cubs fans. If they are screaming and yelling at you about your affiliation, don't drop down to their level. Take the high ground. Replying cubs suck just exacerbates the situation, especially with so many ganging up on you. They'll start chanting sox suck just to get a rise out of you, because that is the entertainment value in it.

When they start talking trash toward you just tell them straight to their faces that you are a Sox fan, you grew up one and a lot of great memories and moments are locked up in being a sox fan, going to Comiskey with your family or watching games on TV was one of the things that brought your family together, etc, etc. (standard guilt trip blah, blah, blah). Tell your friend that if he wants to discuss baseball rationally and respectfully without getting into the Sox suck route, You won't get into the cubs suck talk.

If he then replies "Sox Suck", just tell him "See ya in football season buddy". You'll probably have to deal with the occasional comment but it should subside quite a bit after that.

Another route is to be humble and say "Neither team has been very good since the turn of the last century, neither has won a ton of games or many championships, so can't we get past this cubs/sox suck talk and all just agree that the yankees suck and get this behind us?" Find common ground.

Fake Chet Lemon
04-25-2005, 11:14 PM
Say nothing. I flash them a Cubbie "C" with my index finger and thumb. Then I put the "C" around my neck in a choking fashion. Then I repeat over and over until they lose their minds. It's stupid yes, but very effective.

chisox56
04-25-2005, 11:14 PM
[QUOTE=boiler up]

Now onto my rant. When I came to Purdue last year, I half expected to see at least some southsider fans that could relate with me. Boy was I wrong. Nine out of ten baseball hats I see on people walking around campus are Cubs hats. I have come to the realization that because Indiana does not have a baseball team, everyone in the northern 3/4ths of the state root for the loveable cubbies.

I go to purdue and agree with the lack of sox apparel, but the sox fans are here and I live with a someone who is a cubs fan but my other 2 roommates and I outnumber him 3-1 so any argument about chicago baseball always ends with us winning the argument.

boiler up
04-25-2005, 11:46 PM
sweet man, where ya livin here at purdue?

Rocklive99
04-26-2005, 12:30 AM
Find the Sox fans! Seriously, I had Sox/Cubs things affect friendships for me in high school, they are just sooo dumb. Don't even think about talking baseball with them, unless you want to be dumber. Now every team has a share of smart and dumb fans, but my goodness

TheBull19
04-26-2005, 12:44 AM
I don't know about W. Lafayette, but when I was growing up in NE indiana, it was about evenly split between the cubs, sox, tigers and reds.

ilsox7
04-26-2005, 02:07 AM
Anyone have any suggestions on how I should act with my friend who is a cub fan? No matter what I do though, it's the sox fans' fault.

Transfer to IU. :D:

Charno
04-26-2005, 04:07 AM
My suggestion: chill out a little bit. Its just a game.

Now, everybody lynch me.

PatK
04-26-2005, 09:48 AM
I think in NW Indiana it seems a little more Sox fans than Cubs fans, except in the yuppier areas.

You gotta remember though, at Purdue, you're drawing from the whole Chicago area, and since there are more Cubs fans in general, you're probably ending up with more at school.

Ol' No. 2
04-26-2005, 10:26 AM
Just give it a few more weeks. They'll all be jumping on the bandwagon.

tebman
04-26-2005, 11:04 AM
I think in NW Indiana it seems a little more Sox fans than Cubs fans, except in the yuppier areas.

You gotta remember though, at Purdue, you're drawing from the whole Chicago area, and since there are more Cubs fans in general, you're probably ending up with more at school.
I grew up in Hammond and it was definitely Sox country. But the demographics have shifted like everywhere else, and NW Indiana (The Region) has a higher proportion of Desparate Housewives suburbia that would buy into the Tribune Company mythology.

Remind your friends that life should have texture, and being a White Sox fan provides plenty of texture. Being a fan of the team whose name must not be spoken is like living in a sensory-deprivation tank. :tongue:

chisox56
04-26-2005, 05:03 PM
sweet man, where ya livin here at purdue?

I live off of stadium ave. in a house.

Banix12
04-26-2005, 07:25 PM

I wish more people would take your suggestion but passions run hot

samram
04-26-2005, 09:28 PM

Now, everybody lynch me.

From what I read, he's not the one that needs to chill out. His friends could use that advice though.

bigfoot
04-27-2005, 12:07 AM
Just give it a few more weeks. They'll all be jumping on the bandwagon.

Oh, so true! But they give themselves away with that telltale limp.

ClaudelSleptHere
04-27-2005, 02:04 AM
My son is a freshman at Purdue...lives in Owen Hall, Northeast. On the day he moved in last fall he said two rooms on his floor sported Sox flags and/or posters, but he also mentioned that Cub hats dominated the campus. He noticed the same thing once the new season began. At Purdue, just like everywhere else, the Sox fans are there, they're just a bit harder to find.

As far as transferring to IU..............if you think Cub fans are bad..............

ilsox7
04-27-2005, 04:29 AM
As far as transferring to IU..............if you think Cub fans are bad..............

You seriously comparing Cub fans to Hoosiers?

boiler up
04-27-2005, 04:19 PM
My son is a freshman at Purdue...lives in Owen Hall, Northeast. On the day he moved in last fall he said two rooms on his floor sported Sox flags and/or posters, but he also mentioned that Cub hats dominated the campus. He noticed the same thing once the new season began. At Purdue, just like everywhere else, the Sox fans are there, they're just a bit harder to find.

hahaha

i live right across the street at wiley

34 Inch Stick
04-28-2005, 01:10 PM
My suggestion is to drink heavily. It makes everyone more interesting.

34 Inch Stick
04-28-2005, 01:13 PM

I have never heard the words NW Indiana and yuppie used in the same sentence.

It's interesting to hear different people's thoughts on the much maligned group known as "yuppie" (I'm not saying you did any maligning Pat).

SoupAppling
04-29-2005, 01:48 PM
Transfer to IU. :D:

I graduated from Purdue in 95. Never had any problems getting a Sox game put on at any of the bars. Sox fans are there.

The mention of iu reminds me of visiting a friend going to law school at iu during the summer. We went to one of the sports bars there to watch a Saturday day game in the cubs/Sox series that year. Every tv there had on women's soccer. I had to request the Sox game be put on the tv closest to me and I think I had to explain for about 10 minutes that there was a baseball game taking place and that I wanted to watch that instead of girls soccer. :gulp: