PDA

View Full Version : Summer without Willsy

32nd&Wallace
04-25-2005, 07:35 PM
It just hit me tonight how much I will miss Dave Wills. The one think I looked forward to on the west coast trips was hearing him take calls after midnight. Overall, it is a weird feeling not having a reason to listen to pre and post game show anymore.
This guy Brian Dalgan is not awful, but he has no feeling.
Maybe he's nervous and will find his own voice soon enough.
However, I do not seem to remember Wills like this when he started back in 1996. Although, I could be wrong.

Stroker Ace
04-25-2005, 07:42 PM
I realized this too. I was really looking forward to hearing him do the pre and post game shows. I loved how the pre game shows ended with , "NEEEEEXT!!!", and then the explosions. I haven't heard this new guy yet. Does ESPN 1000 broadcast the pre and post game shows online for free?

owensmouth
04-25-2005, 07:46 PM
I wonder how Dave enjoyed those moments with the Red Sox this past weekend.

Realist
04-25-2005, 07:54 PM
I miss Willsy a whole bunch. Don't be surprised if he ends up in the National spotlight. He's got a ton of personality, a great voice and he's intelligent.

Whoops. I guess the intelligence voids him from working for ESPN.

LongLiveFisk
04-25-2005, 08:07 PM
I really miss Willsy too, and I hope all is going well in Tampa for him. You have to believe he is quite pleased with our Sox though. :D:

chisoxfanatic
04-25-2005, 08:19 PM
I loved the "Ohhhh, Nooooo!" sound byte he'd play when announcing the score to another Cub loss.

I wonder if he'd return to Chicago for the postseason when the Sox are there...

Fake Chet Lemon
04-25-2005, 10:01 PM
I loved the "Ohhhh, Nooooo!" sound byte he'd play when announcing the score to another Cub loss.

I wonder if he'd return to Chicago for the postseason when the Sox are there...

That would be cool, but could be a slap in the face to the new guy.

ChiSoxGirl
04-25-2005, 10:16 PM
I was down at Grandstand on Saturday and talked for a long time with "Aunt Cindy," and those of you who listened to the postgame as religiously as I did when Wills was at the mic, know exactly who I'm referring to.

Anyway, we got to talking about Willsy and she told me how he told his wife he landed the D-Rays gig. He went down to Grandstand back in February and knocked on the back door before they'd even opened. "Aunt Cindy" opened the door and Dave Wills said to her, "Do you have any Tampa Bay Devil Rays jackets?" and she immediately started crying. He told Mrs. Wills he got the job by walking into their house in the D-Rays jacket.

According to "Aunt Cindy" (and I think she has an in with this information), she really believes Wills will be back in Chicago broadcasting for the Sox one day... perhaps when John Rooney is ready to move on or if and when Darrin Jackson leaves his post beside Hawk. She said that this Tampa Bay job was the only way he was going to gain the experience he needs, in order to broadcast for the team he holds such a passion for one day. I guess the guys down at Grandstand knew this job pursuit was in the works since November, but of course, we didn't find out until a few weeks before Spring Training I believe it was.

I asked "Aunt Cindy" if she's heard the new guy doing the pre & post, and she told me she hasn't listened to it yet this season because it's just not the same without Dave. I told her that Brian Dolgan is alright, but he has tremendous shoes to fill. And as an FYI to all the Willsy fans out there, she said he'll be back in town with the Rays in May and will definitely be frequenting Grandstand.... :wink:

jabrch
04-25-2005, 11:48 PM
I do miss Dave. Dolgin isn't bad - he's just not Willsy. I feel sorry for Dave. As much as any of us, Dave is a huge Sox fan and would love to be here to be a part of this season so far.

havelj
04-26-2005, 12:05 AM
Wills will not be a color man - he is a natural play-by-play guy. Rooney isn't going anywhere. You will have a White Sox TV broadcasting team within 5 years of Dave Wills and Robin Ventura - book it.

Lip Man 1
04-26-2005, 01:10 AM
Have:

It'll be Bill Melton before an untested Robin Ventura gets the gig. Plus if Dave were ever to get the Sox play by play job, he already has a rapport with Bill having worked a number of shows together.

Lip

chisoxfanatic
04-26-2005, 01:13 AM
That's a pretty awesome story, ChiSoxGirl!!! Thanks for sharing it!!!

It would be pretty awesome to have Hawk and Dave broadcasting Sox games all the time!!! They'd complement each other very well.

Lip Man 1
04-26-2005, 01:31 AM
Dave was also visiting the WSI web site today, check out the thread in the other section dealing with the Tampa Bay situation.

Lip

popilius
04-26-2005, 01:50 AM
Same feeling here, especially right after the Sox won.

:gulp:

Bobbo35
04-26-2005, 06:48 AM
Wills is so much better. I would never miss a pre/post game with Dave. This new guy we have has some work to do. I will give him the benefit of the doubt. Us Sox fans are tough customers. Is he a Sox fan? He has no fire like wills did.

Sox Radio Bryan
04-26-2005, 09:25 AM
Wow...the above postings were an enjoyable read! No fire, eh? Have you listened lately? Have you called into the post game show lately? I am a Sox fan...since birth for that matter. There's plenty of passion and fire in me. We had a boatload of calls last night, and the show was top notch. Feel free to call in after tonight's game.

I am not going to bring the "neexxxt" or the "oh, nooo" into the broadcast because that was Dave Wills. As you listen over time, you will understand my personality.

By the way, I will be at the Cork & Kerry on May 21 and 22 when the Sox play at Wrigley. Come out and say hello.

By the way, I am a big fan of this webite and visit every day.

Bryan

Ol' No. 2
04-26-2005, 09:42 AM
Wow...the above postings were an enjoyable read! No fire, eh? Have you listened lately? Have you called into the post game show lately? I am a Sox fan...since birth for that matter. There's plenty of passion and fire in me. We had a boatload of calls last night, and the show was top notch. Feel free to call in after tonight's game.

I am not going to bring the "neexxxt" or the "oh, nooo" into the broadcast because that was Dave Wills. As you listen over time, you will understand my personality.

By the way, I will be at the Cork & Kerry on May 21 and 22 when the Sox play at Wrigley. Come out and say hello.

BryanFirst of all, :welcome:

Second, don't take it personally. Willsy was an institution and people are just going to take time to adjust to a new person. Just keep doing your own thing. What made Willsy special was that he thoroughly enjoyed the Sox and the callers (even the drillrods) and it showed through. But that rapport takes some time to develop. Nothing beats a winning season for that.:smile:

ChiSoxBobette
04-26-2005, 10:42 AM
[QUOTE=32nd&Wallace]It just hit me tonight how much I will miss Dave Wills. The one think I looked forward to on the west coast trips was hearing him take calls after midnight. Overall, it is a weird feeling not having a reason to listen to pre and post game show anymore.
However, I do not seem to remember Wills like this when he started back in 1996. Although, I could be wrong.[/QUOTE

Up to this point the only thing that could've made this season better was having Dave Wills still doing the pre and post game stuff not to mention how crazy it would be in the bullpen sports bar with Willsy cranking everyone up.

Ol' No. 2
04-26-2005, 10:51 AM
[QUOTE=32nd&Wallace]It just hit me tonight how much I will miss Dave Wills. The one think I looked forward to on the west coast trips was hearing him take calls after midnight. Overall, it is a weird feeling not having a reason to listen to pre and post game show anymore.
However, I do not seem to remember Wills like this when he started back in 1996. Although, I could be wrong.[/QUOTE

Up to this point the only thing that could've made this season better was having Dave Wills still doing the pre and post game stuff not to mention how crazy it would be in the bullpen sports bar with Willsy cranking everyone up.Willsy would be having a ball. But he was a little rough around the edges when he first started. There's no point in Dolgin trying to be Willsy II. He's got to develop his own schtick, and that doesn't happen overnight.

zach23
04-26-2005, 11:01 AM

Bryan

Hey Bryan, are you going to do any live shows from the Bullpen Bar? I think those are a great way to start mingling with the Sox fans and making your mark. One of the great things about Willsy was he showed up at places like Jimbo's after games and the fans felt like he was one of us and not just some generic radio voice out there.
I think the live shows from Cork and Kerry are a great idea and I am glad they are doing them again. I went last year to one of those and even won a Carlos Lee autographed jersey. I will look forward to seeing you out there.
Hang in there and keep doing what you are doing, if you are genuine the fans will appreciate it and start to warm up to you.
I guess my advice in all this is that actions speak louder than words. Don't just tell the fans you are one of us, show us. If you do that you will be loved here forever.

32nd&Wallace
04-26-2005, 11:13 AM

Bryan
Bryan, first, thanks for coming on this website and sharing your thoughts.
Second, I respect that you are taking over for someone who was loved by a lot of White Sox fans. That has to be hard. A lot of Sox fans know this too and we are all rooting for you.
I do not think it is so much a lack of fire but rather the weirdness of seeing someone new in that position. And yes, maybe because Willsy had made it look so good in the nine years he was there.
I do not think you are a bad broadcaster at all. However, I can't say your great because it will take some time. Think of it when Jay Leno first took over for Johnny Carson. . No one could assess Leno's performance as host of the Tonight Show within a month. In his case, it took three or four years to find his own voice. I'm sure it will take you much sooner though.
ANyways, I may stop by Cork and Kerry's on May 20. I look forward to meeting you.

32nd&Wallace
04-26-2005, 11:16 AM
Bryan - We'd like to know a little about you. Where are you from? How old, where do you live? DOn't be just the Sox radio guy to us...We want to know who you are. Hope to see you on non-broadcast related threads in the future!

Sox Radio Bryan
04-26-2005, 11:17 AM
I should be the at the Bullpen Bar on Friday. We have only had one broadcast there, so far, and that was opening day. The reason we have not been there very much is that the Bulls, at the time, were vying for the playoffs. If the Sox are on 94.7, then no bullpen sports bar. No conflict this weekend.

I certianly intend to be at Jimbo's and other neighborhood hang-outs quite often this baseball season. I am thirsty just thinking about it.

Bryan

skottyj242
04-26-2005, 11:24 AM
I should be the at the Bullpen Bar on Friday. We have only had one broadcast there, so far, and that was opening day. The reason we have not been there very much is that the Bulls, at the time, were vying for the playoffs. If the Sox are on 94.7, then no bullpen sports bar. No conflict this weekend.

I certianly intend to be at Jimbo's and other neighborhood hang-outs quite often this baseball season. I am thirsty just thinking about it.

Bryan

I may just let you buy me a beer.

32nd&Wallace
04-26-2005, 11:25 AM
I may just let you buy me a beer.

Good idea. Let's see some of that ESPN 1000 money be put to good use

dpbyron
04-26-2005, 11:45 AM
I loved Willsy too, but címon! lets give Bryan a chance! Give him time to get comfortable. Iíll bet if you listened to Willsyís first month as the host you would find that he was not the same host he is/was now. Itís sort of like watching the first season of the Sopranos or Seinfeld now. Some of the characters seem awkward and have not yet developed their personality that they had in later seasons.

Give him a break!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sox Radio Bryan
04-26-2005, 11:55 AM
In response to 32nd & Wallace...

I grew up in Deerfield. My father raised me as a Sox fan. I have been to countless Sox games since I was shorter than knee high. My father has shared season tickets for a number of years, and I would always attend a bunch of games with him each April/May the last three seasons before the Joliet season would start. I rarely have missed a home opener in my lifespan. However, I did miss the 16-to-0 debacle to open the new park. Back in the day, my older brother and I went to practically every weekend game in the final year of the old ballpark including the Andy Hawkins no-hitter loss. We even visited County Stadium in '90 to see the MLB debut of Alex Fernandez and Frank Thomas in a DH. Years later, I worked as a parking lot attendant at Comiskey, primarily in C lot--ironically where I park when I go to games now.

Even though I worked in Joliet the past three baseball seasons for the Joliet JackHammers as their play-by-play radio voice, I lived in Chicago the entire time. My wife and I live in the Old Town neighborhood, just a 15-minute drive to U.S. Cellular or a swift red Line ride away.

I have spent the past seven seasons broadcasting in the minor leagues (Beloit, Myrtle Beach and Joliet). Before that, I was at the University of Miami where I graduated in 1997. I am 30 years old.

Bryan

steff
04-26-2005, 12:28 PM

Bryan

Bryan.. no offense but there is no need to get your feathers ruffled. No one is asking you to bring "neexxxtt" into your boradcast.. again no offense but it would make me sick to hear you try. You are your own.. go with it. I listen to you occasionally... right now I am indifferent. Dave is a very good friend of mine.. I miss hearing him terribly and can't wait until the day he is back in town. Nothing against you.. it's just the way I, and many others, feel.

I have not called in since you took over.. but you can be sure you'll know it when I do.. LOL. :rolleyes:

Regards.. Steff in Plainfield.

ChiSoxBobette
04-26-2005, 12:32 PM

Bryan

Bryan , its nothing against you, I think you're doing fine, but Willsy was here the years we did'nt do anything and there he was defending us against all those scrub lovers giving it to them as good as he was getting from those morons. Now at this time when he could have gotten just a little bit even with them he's gone. Good Luck to you and as always

GO WHITE SOX!

hawkjt
04-26-2005, 12:33 PM
Bryan: I do listen and I know you are getting your sealegs in this role and it sure helps when the team wins 16 of 20 games. However

IMHO you must be totally honest in your appraisal of sox performances and players. I know it is all good right now but even last nite your over the top praise of Dye as a right fielder sounded hollow to me cuz he has lost a step and yes he supposedly has the cannon arm but to this point he has overthrown the cutoff and not been that accurate.

I am not saying he is a bust but to this point he has not been very good in any phase of the game. That was a decent catch last nite but maggs would have gotten to it. Please do not become a sugarcoater. We can handle the truth and not crush the guy. I think he will get better. Hoping so anyway. The hitting in the meat of the lineup has been shaky. The top and bottom are carrying them right now. The pitching has been fantastic. That really is the reason behind the wins. Timely hitting has been there all season and that is better than great average hitting.

I just want honest objective baseball analysis. Keep up the good vibe for the sox. Just my two cents.

northshoresoxfan
04-26-2005, 01:00 PM
I think Bryan is doing a fine job as the pre-and-post guy.
All you nay sayers remember we could've been stuck with a non-sox fan in his job.

I just wanted to say one thing more though. I HATE the ESPN 1000 intro to White Sox coverage. It goes on and on and on, and is really annoying and just plain stupid! Is anyone with me?

Bryan if you're reading this--tell the producers to make a new intro with clips of roney and farmer or something.

Peace.

minastirith67
04-26-2005, 01:42 PM
Bryan:

You do a bang up job. I appreciate the passion you bring to the post-game. I listened last night and it seems like you're really getting into your role. I'll take your insight over most other sportsblab nonsense any day (excepting Wills, of course). Keep it up, man. I'll call in at some point, too.

Steve

Brian26
04-26-2005, 08:13 PM
Bryan.. no offense but there is no need to get your feathers ruffled.

I don't think Bryan's feathers were ruffled at all. His response was very honest and classy. It takes a big man to answer constructive criticism.

TornLabrum
04-26-2005, 08:30 PM
Dave Wills and I occasionally exchange emails. In the first one he sent after Bryan was hired, he told me he wishes Bryan the best. I don't think Dave's fans should do any less than that.

I heard from Dave again today, and he told me to say hi to everybody, and in my book that means (among others) everyone here at WSI. I don't think he'd mind my sharing a comment he made about this years amazing start in response to my asking him his opinion. I could hear him on his show saying exactly this:

"As far as the White Sox are concerned... as I used to say... Don't stake out your spot on Michigan Ave. yet for the parade... there is still a lot of basball to be played...." He added that the key to the season will be the performance (and health) of Contreras, El Duque, and Takatsu.

He says he's enjoying his new job, but the Rays playing in the east makes things tough.

But enough with the Dave Wills love for now. Due to my listening/viewing habits, I haven't heard Bryan Dogin on the air since Saturday, but he's sounding more and more like he's fitting into the new job nicely. He's not Dave Wills, and I for one wouldn't want him to be. I'd much prefer that he be Bryan Dolgin.

ChiSoxGirl
04-26-2005, 10:37 PM
I don't think Bryan's feathers were ruffled at all. His response was very honest and classy. It takes a big man to answer constructive criticism.

I know this is completely unrelated, but your private message inbox has reached its capacity. I tried to send you one just now, but I got a message that I can't do so until you empty your private message box. :rolleyes: Let me know when you do so and I'll send over what I had written.

steff
04-27-2005, 05:04 AM

"No fire, eh? Have you listened lately? Have you called into the post game show lately? I am a Sox fan...since birth for that matter. There's plenty of passion and fire in me."

Sounds a bit ruffled to me... :rolleyes: :tongue:

rogersparkembarrassment
04-27-2005, 09:06 AM
Willsy was a poor man's Harry Carey and the White Sox should have found a way to keep him. He was over qualified for his job for several years but stayed because he is a die-hard. John Rooney is a professional, but Dave would do a whole lot more for the organization. We should tender the offer this offseason before Dave gets too comfotable in Fla.

Brian26
04-27-2005, 11:43 AM
Sounds a bit ruffled to me... :rolleyes: :tongue:

When Dolgin starts ranting about drillrod scrub fans blowing up his mailbox in Oak Lawn with M-80's, then we can officially considered him "ruffled". :D:

Lizard
04-27-2005, 12:12 PM

Bryan

I listened to your post game show the other day and thought you did fine. Melty was with you and if anyone can help you over the rough spots it would be him. As you already know, you will get more comfortable with time. Some people don't handle change well but just give them time and they will come around. Just remember,whether the fans reviews of your show are good or bad just means people are listening and that's what matters! People don't realize that there is alot more to pre & post duties than sitting in front of a mike. I should know, I'm Dave's wife and I saw all the prepping he did for every show. It's only natural to be nervous at a new job-Dave was with his first appearance in Florida & with his first few broadcasts. In a few months you will look back on all these posts and wonder what all the commotion was about! Sit back, enjoy the games (even though you might not enjoy the outcome) and have fun! Hope to see you at Jimbo's sometime!

steff
04-27-2005, 12:21 PM
Willsy was a poor man's Harry Carey and the White Sox should have found a way to keep him. He was over qualified for his job for several years but stayed because he is a die-hard. John Rooney is a professional, but Dave would do a whole lot more for the organization. We should tender the offer this offseason before Dave gets too comfotable in Fla.

Before you turn this into a "it's the Sox fault Dave is gone thread..." understand that the Sox have others under contract and could not just fire them to move Dave into his dream job. Dave left because it was the best opportunity for him. Nothing to do with the Sox at all.

Brian26
04-27-2005, 01:07 PM
Before you turn this into a "it's the Sox fault Dave is gone thread..." understand that the Sox have others under contract and could not just fire them to move Dave into his dream job.

:hawk

"You're daggum right, young lady."

:DJ

"I can always find color work over in Japan."

Over By There
04-27-2005, 01:21 PM
I just wanted to say one thing more though. I HATE the ESPN 1000 intro to White Sox coverage. It goes on and on and on, and is really annoying and just plain stupid! Is anyone with me?

Let me echo this, Bryan, if you're still reading. The part that gets me is the list of "past White Sox themes" such as Winning Ugly, Southside Hitmen, Good Guys Wear Black, etc. They include "the Black Sox" in there, which bothers me for some reason. To include that amongst some of the more lighthearted "themes" doesn't seem right.

Aside from that, I think you're doing a good job. I think as time goes by you'll feel more comfortable and we'll all grow more accustomed to you. Many of us have just gotten used to celebrating/mourning "with" Willsy after a game.

32nd&Wallace
04-27-2005, 01:27 PM
I listened to your post game show the other day and thought you did fine. Melty was with you and if anyone can help you over the rough spots it would be him. As you already know, you will get more comfortable with time. Some people don't handle change well but just give them time and they will come around. Just remember,whether the fans reviews of your show are good or bad just means people are listening and that's what matters! People don't realize that there is alot more to pre & post duties than sitting in front of a mike. I should know, I'm Dave's wife and I saw all the prepping he did for every show. It's only natural to be nervous at a new job-Dave was with his first appearance in Florida & with his first few broadcasts. In a few months you will look back on all these posts and wonder what all the commotion was about! Sit back, enjoy the games (even though you might not enjoy the outcome) and have fun! Hope to see you at Jimbo's sometime!
Are you two planning on living in Tampa year-round? I know Ed Farmer lives part of the year in California and Hawk lives in Florida, so I was just wondering if there was any possibility Dave would be here in the off-season doing ND and UIC stuff.

Sox Radio Bryan
04-27-2005, 11:07 PM
I am a big fan of reading these posts. Very enjoyable. My feathers were not ruffled...for the record.

I am looking forward to seeing everyone who will be at the Bullpen Sports Bar on Friday. The pre/post game shows will be done from there. After the post, we are headed to Jimbo's. I am looking forward to meeting everyone.

Bryan

Lizard
04-28-2005, 12:33 PM
Are you two planning on living in Tampa year-round? I know Ed Farmer lives part of the year in California and Hawk lives in Florida, so I was just wondering if there was any possibility Dave would be here in the off-season doing ND and UIC stuff.

We will be living in the Tampa area full time. Dave will not be doing UIC but may still do a few things for ND.

Iguchi_4_MVP
04-28-2005, 01:53 PM
not all sox fans liked dave wills. i didn't. my friends didn't. NEEXXXTT and that dumbass explosion were lame - especially after say, game three. I'm glad there is a new voice, but i'll reserve any judgment on Bryan until at least the all-star break.

and that post on how Wills was a poor man's Carey -that's one of the more ludicrous statements i've ever read. get off his dick people. he was a PRE and POST GAME HOST. that's it.

He was not an institution. Carey, Scully, Buck ... they are baseball "institutions."

Maybe part of the reason this Wills lovefest bothers me is that there seems to be more passion for this blowhard than half the TEAMS we've had on the field the last few years.

and i dont want to hear all the "i go to 65 games a year..blah blah blah." obviously the people here care about the sox, but not everyone who fawns over Wills goes to games on a regular basis.

this whole topic is retarded and frankly, I don't think Bryan should have even bothered checking in.

(just my opinion of course)

Fungo
04-28-2005, 02:22 PM
Willsy's coming in load and clear. Just listened to the Blue Jays sweep the Devil Rays on MLB radio while the Sox have the off day.

Byron, Keep up the good work. Hope to see you Friday down in the Bullpen Bar.

rogersparkembarrassment
04-28-2005, 02:41 PM
He was a salesman who bled White Sox. The face of the White Sox has been Jerry Reinsdorf for too long. We need a knew pitch man. None of the current broadcasters have the ability to relate with the majority of Sox fans. No offense to the North Shore (quite frankly they support the White Sox better than the South Side) but the majority of our fans have trouble identifying with a 30 year old guy from Deerfield. Wills was the right guy for the job. All he needed was a bigger stage to work with.

JohnBasedowYoda
04-28-2005, 11:08 PM
do you think wills will end up in the tv booth for the sox? i'm pretty sure the hawk dj combo won't last much longer. Maybe he's (wills) is building his creds for a while down south and then booyaa, sox tv guy!