PDA

View Full Version : Hughes & Santo Perpetuate Propoganda & Lies

Hangar18
04-25-2005, 04:42 PM
This past saturday afternoon, I was doing at work and a co-worker
wanted to listen to the Cub game, so I sure Id root for the Pirates.
Well, it was a great game that saw the hapless minor-league Bucs
come back and win the game. But towards the late innings, you could
hear the PA announcer going over the attendance figures, to which the
the Bumbling Duo remarked on the attendance.

Hughes: 36,000 people here today, wow
Santo: Huge crowd today, considering how bad the weather is.
Hughes: Yes indeed Ronnie
Santo: These are such great fans, rain or shine
Hughes: Cub fans are the greatest (or something to that effect)

The next day, im reading the Sunday paper, and in the cub notes section,
it mentioned that attendance has been DOWN so far for the Blue Corporation,
and that already they'd be hard pressed to match their record setting 3 Million
"fans" of last year. The article quickly mentioned how 36,000 tickets
were sold for the game, but that there were "many empty seats" and that
probably only half came to the game !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Pat & Ron are LIARS!

MUsoxfan
04-25-2005, 04:49 PM
While I'm sure they're both drunk on Cubbie Blue Koolaid, they really didn't lie. All stadiums count the number of tickets sold. They don't care if you show up or not so long as they get your $$. At Sox games, attendance is often over-reported. I've seen attendance announced at 25,000 while only 75% of that many people may be there for whatever reason.

On a sidenote, attendance will slip along with the expectations on the northside.....especially when the wishy-washy fans start attending games at the winning side of town.

WinningUgly!
04-25-2005, 04:51 PM
This surprises you?

This just in...the Sox are 15-4!

:whocares

cheeses_h_rice
04-25-2005, 04:56 PM
Hangar, what part of "Ron and Pat don't want to offend the blind Flub fans in Iowa" don't you get?

DrCrawdad
04-25-2005, 05:08 PM
This past saturday afternoon, I was doing at work and a co-worker
wanted to listen to the Cub game, so I sure Id root for the Pirates.
Well, it was a great game that saw the hapless minor-league Bucs
come back and win the game. But towards the late innings, you could
hear the PA announcer going over the attendance figures, to which the
the Bumbling Duo remarked on the attendance.

Hughes: 36,000 people here today, wow
Santo: Huge crowd today, considering how bad the weather is.
Hughes: Yes indeed Ronnie
Santo: These are such great fans, rain or shine
Hughes: Cub fans are the greatest (or something to that effect)

The next day, im reading the Sunday paper, and in the cub notes section,
it mentioned that attendance has been DOWN so far for the Blue Corporation,
and that already they'd be hard pressed to match their record setting 3 Million
"fans" of last year. The article quickly mentioned how 36,000 tickets
were sold for the game, but that there were "many empty seats" and that
probably only half came to the game !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Pat & Ron are LIARS!

The attendance was mentioned here the other day. This detachment from reality is revealing. Pat and Ron do it so often. IMHO it is a lie. How can you look at The Shrine, see that the upper drunk tank is 35-50% empty, then brag about how many PEOPLE ARE IN ATTENDANCE? To say that the park is packed with 36K is a lie, when there are only 25K in attendance.

I attended a Cubbie game, sat in the bleachers, on the day the Sox were in Cleveland for their home opener. It was eye opening for the Cubbie fan I attended the game with. Why? He's an older guy who listens and believes what Pat & Ron say. So, he was convinced that the park would be packed, as per usual, on that cool Monday afternoon. As we sat in the RF bleachers though it was painfully obvious to him that there was no where near 37K in the ballpark that day as the upper drunk tank was only about half loaded.

My friend was sure that you can't ever get tickets for Cubbie games I got two bleacher tickets. It was funny too cause when we walked by the scalpers on Addison (by the el) they had fists full of tickets and were offering them at less than face value 45 minutes before the game.

munchman33
04-25-2005, 05:34 PM
On a sidenote, attendance will slip along with the expectations on the northside.....especially when the wishy-washy fans start attending games at the winning side of town.

DEEP PINK. Learn to use it.

MUsoxfan
04-25-2005, 06:05 PM
DEEP PINK. Learn to use it.

No need for deep pink. Later in the season the "Chicago Fans" (and there are more than we think) will go see a winning product. You know, those people that say "I really like the Cubs, but if the Sox can do it I'd like to see them win."? Those are the people that will be filling up the Cell in about 2 months. It's not a bad thing

JRIG
04-25-2005, 06:47 PM
The attendance was mentioned here the other day. This detachment from reality is revealing. Pat and Ron do it so often. IMHO it is a lie. How can you look at The Shrine, see that the upper drunk tank is 35-50% empty, then brag about how many PEOPLE ARE IN ATTENDANCE? To say that the park is packed with 36K is a lie, when there are only 25K in attendance.

I attended a Cubbie game, sat in the bleachers, on the day the Sox were in Cleveland for their home opener. It was eye opening for the Cubbie fan I attended the game with. Why? He's an older guy who listens and believes what Pat & Ron say. So, he was convinced that the park would be packed, as per usual, on that cool Monday afternoon. As we sat in the RF bleachers though it was painfully obvious to him that there was no where near 37K in the ballpark that day as the upper drunk tank was only about half loaded.

My friend was sure that you can't ever get tickets for Cubbie games I got two bleacher tickets. It was funny too cause when we walked by the scalpers on Addison (by the el) they had fists full of tickets and were offering them at less than face value 45 minutes before the game.

Catching some of the games on TV, I'm shocked at the number of fans who leave close ballgames at The Shrine just because the game is going long. Any extra inning game this year, I've seen at least half the seats empty by the 10th.

VA_GoGoSox
04-25-2005, 07:08 PM
While I'm sure they're both drunk on Cubbie Blue Koolaid, they really didn't lie

They didn't necessarily lie, but they were intentionally misleading. When they were talking about the attendance, they made it sound like they were actually looking around the park and marveling at the size of the crowd. They made it sound as if they were looking at a packed house and they perpetuated the myth of the legions of loyal chubs fans. You're right--they didn't lie, but they were passing out 64oz. big gulps of blue Koolaid. I laughed for a couple minutes straight when I read about how many empty seats there were.

I would also like to add that listening to Santo during a losing effort from the chubbies is one of the greatest things ever.

eastchicagosoxfan
04-25-2005, 07:47 PM
I'll have a good laugh about "packed houses" on the northside, in September. The Cubs are 20 games out, with no shot at the wildcard, and all those people that bought tickets expecting to sell them, can't find buyers. Both " saviors" will be on the DL. They'll announce 36,000, but have only 18-20000 in the house. It'll be a source of profound embarrassment , but hardly a surprise.

Lip Man 1
04-25-2005, 08:20 PM
East:

Yea the Tribune Company will be laughing all the way to the bank because as posted earlier, the tickets have already been sold...the money is already in the bank.

Lip

eastchicagosoxfan
04-25-2005, 08:55 PM
They'll laugh all the way to the bank. But everyone else will laugh at their fair-weather " fans ". I can live with it.

Lip Man 1
04-26-2005, 01:25 AM
I think the Tribune Comapny cares not a wit that they are being 'laughed at.'

Lip

Flight #24
04-26-2005, 09:59 AM
East:

Yea the Tribune Company will be laughing all the way to the bank because as posted earlier, the tickets have already been sold...the money is already in the bank.

Lip

That's partially true, but I'd guess they make a lot of $$$ off of concessions sales. The $5 "beer" is pure profit, especially once they start the recycling from their troughs back up to the kegs.......

But IMO as long as the weather's nice, you'll see attendance at the Urinal.