PDA

View Full Version : Is there any place where this team would need an upgrade?

32nd&Wallace
04-25-2005, 04:04 PM
Yes it is too early. And a lot of things can happen between now and September. But I think the Sox will be in the pennant race for all of the season.
What is interesting is whether KW will need to make any moves before July 31st similar to 2003 and 2004.
I understand in 2003 why we needed Everett and Alomar and in 2004, Freddie, but is there any place in the roster where KW needs to upgrade before July 31st?
I know JR said in an interview with Mike North in March that there would be money for Kenny if he wanted to make some moves but I don't see where he needs it.

VivaOzzie
04-25-2005, 04:08 PM
As of right now, I see no need in any positions. I think injuries will dictate what kind of moves we need to make at mid-season. Hopefully the injury bug will leave us alone for the most part, at least enough that we won't NEED to make any moves.

mikehuff
04-25-2005, 04:15 PM
At this moment, Paulie, Everett and Dye need to go.

Ship em' out!

voodoochile
04-25-2005, 04:17 PM
At this moment, Paulie, Everett and Dye need to go.

Ship em' out!

:tealpolice:

"You at the keyboard. Change your font color when you want to be sarcastic or risk getting reamed by all the other posters on the board. (megaphone feedback)..."

Tekijawa
04-25-2005, 04:17 PM
Positive Media Coverage!

voodoochile
04-25-2005, 04:19 PM
I'd like to see one of the bench players get sent down and a 7th reliever brought up for a while. I am afraid we are going to burn out the bullpen at the present rate.

Baby Fisk
04-25-2005, 04:19 PM
More Alomars!

mweflen
04-25-2005, 04:21 PM
:weewillie:timo:

Can't find the Cotts pic...

Keep it in perspective though - if these are the only guys that need upgrading, you're doing all right.

daveeym
04-25-2005, 04:23 PM
I'd like to see one of the bench players get sent down and a 7th reliever brought up for a while. I am afraid we are going to burn out the bullpen at the present rate.oooh man, tough one there. I don't think they're being over used at this point, but you have to imagine they'll need to be used more in the future. However, I don't want some schmuch brought up just to have another reliever in the pen, then ozzie may be tempted to use them.

GiveMeSox
04-25-2005, 04:24 PM
How about a solid right handed bat off the bench, thats one thing we need. Like a rigty ross gload would be a great addition to the bench since pabol ozuna cant hit the ball out of the infield. No wonder we signed, dare I say, Jeremy Giambi.

SoxFan76
04-25-2005, 04:27 PM
While Norton may be the greatest, is he right handed? I forget...

itsnotrequired
04-25-2005, 04:33 PM
As far as Chicago media is concerned, the Sox need more players like Ichiro and Sanatana on the team.:rolleyes:

mikehuff
04-25-2005, 04:33 PM
:tealpolice:

"You at the keyboard. Change your font color when you want to be sarcastic or risk getting reamed by all the other posters on the board. (megaphone feedback)..."

Well, I'm kind of serious about Dye...

CHISOXFAN13
04-25-2005, 04:38 PM
While Norton may be the greatest, is he right handed? I forget...

He can go both ways!

soltrain21
04-25-2005, 04:40 PM
Another left handed reliever to assist Marte, I don't really trust Cotts.

SoxFan76
04-25-2005, 04:42 PM
He can go both ways!

He truly is the greatest! :D:

Randar68
04-25-2005, 04:43 PM
I agree with a few others. A righty off the bench would be a big help. The LH'dness of the bench is a problem when we need to rest Pods or AJ versus Lefties.

Aside from that? You can never have enough legit bullpen arms and if Dye is still hovering at the Mendoza line at the All-Star break, might have to do something about that.

Jerko
04-25-2005, 04:44 PM
Fans.

Tragg
04-25-2005, 05:41 PM
For this year, a bench outfielder (Timo is a terrible ballplayer - I noticed major ragging on Willie, but none on Timo for his defensive gaffe yesterday) , another bullpen pitcher.

Ultimately, something better than Dye, AJ and perhaps Crede (if the early season was a mirage). And a starter to replace an aging cuban.

daveeym
04-25-2005, 05:45 PM
For this year, a bench outfielder (Timo is a terrible ballplayer - I noticed major ragging on Willie, but none on Timo for his defensive gaffe yesterday) , another bullpen pitcher.

Ultimately, something better than Dye, AJ and perhaps Crede (if the early season was a mirage). And a starter to replace an aging cuban. Ok it's official... :threadsucks

Ol' No. 2
04-25-2005, 05:49 PM
Can we just re-title this thread "Who's your favorite whipping boy?"

Randar68
04-25-2005, 05:50 PM
Ultimately, something better than Dye, AJ and perhaps Crede (if the early season was a mirage). And a starter to replace an aging cuban.

Ultimately as in "next year"? If the need arises, those guys are named Brian Anderson, Josh Fields and Brandon McCarthy.

Catcher is a never-ending need for almost every team in baseball.

Randar68
04-25-2005, 05:51 PM
Can we just re-title this thread "Who's your favorite whipping boy?"

No kidding. Willie is hitting .368 coming off the bench, and people want to hang him?

The psychosis that defines the mind of Sox fans never ceases to amaze me.

Foulke29
04-25-2005, 05:57 PM
Another reliever wouldn't hurt. We need a guy that could be a spot starter from time to time, but also pitch out of the bullpen!

Ol' No. 2
04-25-2005, 05:58 PM
No kidding. Willie is hitting .368 coming off the bench, and people want to hang him?

The psychosis that defines the mind of Sox fans never ceases to amaze me.Meanwhile, in another thread, everyone wants to dump Contreras and his miserable 3.48 ERA and bring up McCarthy. I like McCarthy as well as anyone, but good grief. KW finally puts together a solid, experienced 5-man rotation and people can't wait to dismantle it.:?:

Have I been dreaming the last three weeks? Are we in last place?

ExpoPuddingHead
04-25-2005, 06:07 PM
Has anyone else been getting thoughts that last year was a fluke for rowand. He hasn't been able to show any power this year, Uribe isn't doing that hot either. I think Dye and paulie will improve their BA's but are Rowand and Uribe one year wonders?

balke
04-25-2005, 06:08 PM
Too early to tell on this. I saw Cotts stink it up for a couple games, and I've seen him do really well for 3 games or so.

I have a lot of faith that Dye turns it around. IN THE EVENT HE DOESN'T which isn't very likely, I could see us going after the best power Outfielder we can get if we are in a playoff hunt to replace him.

Frater Perdurabo
04-25-2005, 06:09 PM
If Dye keeps blowing, RF needs an upgrade, although Everett may be the upgrade when Frank returns.

I'd also like a veteran lefty in the pen to replace Cotts.

I'd also like one more starting pitcher; preferably a power-armed lefty. You can never have enough pitching! Another starter pushes the worst Sox starter to the bullpen.

MisterB
04-25-2005, 06:22 PM
I'd like to see one of the bench players get sent down and a 7th reliever brought up for a while. I am afraid we are going to burn out the bullpen at the present rate.

In the AL, only Boston and Minny have fewer relief innings pitched than the Sox (as of Sunday). Worrying about bullpen burnout may be a little premature.

Tragg
04-25-2005, 06:27 PM
Ultimately as in "next year"? If the need arises, those guys are named Brian Anderson, Josh Fields and Brandon McCarthy.

Catcher is a never-ending need for almost every team in baseball.

"Ultimately" as in these guys are getting older and have contracts of 2 years of duration. I certainly don't suggest any immediate moves - and hopefully we can fill the areas from within. I certainly hope those young players ably fill those needs because that will free up money to hit a few top notch free agents at some point and/or re-sign key players like MB. But as of now, they are AAA/AA players.
Getting Frank back should help the bench batting situation immeasurably.

I agree - catching is a challenge because the good ones cost more than they are worth via measuring production.

The title of this thread is where we need to upgrade, so I thought I'd get specific. It is strange that questioning the skills of a .290 OBP hitter who plays outfield like it's a game of donkey-kong is out of bounds, yet MB was ragged on continually last year every time he doesn't throw a shutout. As of now, unless I've forgotten someone, our reserve outfielders are Perez and Everett, and that isn't a great situation, especially in the field.

Charno
04-25-2005, 06:33 PM
I think what we need is another white flag trade. Trade Buehrle, Konerko, Pierzysnki, and Thomas for Joe Mauer and some Twin prospects. We need to get younger!

MeanFish
04-25-2005, 06:51 PM
Has anyone else been getting thoughts that last year was a fluke for rowand. He hasn't been able to show any power this year, Uribe isn't doing that hot either. I think Dye and paulie will improve their BA's but are Rowand and Uribe one year wonders?

No. Aaron Rowand is a slow starter every year. Last year it wasn't as evident because he spent the earlier part of the season coming off of the bench, but in 2003 he was brutal in the first half, only to compile a .375 BA after the all-star break. He would have finished closer to .280 if we hadn't traded for Everett. He'll heat up and when he does, it's going to be great.

As for Uribe, he runs hot and cold to the worst extremes. His glove is still outstanding, and when his bat heats up he's a great guy to have in the lineup.

In both of their cases, they're fairly young and it wouldn't be surprising, especially in Uribe's case, to see them become more consistent in the next couple seasons. I still think Aaron will hit around .300 this year, and Uribe will likely be somewhere around .280 again.

Dye is the one guy who I could see having trouble rebounding. We'll see if he turns out to just be a warm weather player. It's too early to tell.

One thing to consider is that both Rowand and Uribe are exceedingly strong finishers. If this team is in contention in September, the lineup will be very dangerous by then.

ilsox7
04-25-2005, 06:55 PM
Can everyone here agree that if we ever win a World Series that this message board going without ripping players to shreds for at least 24 hours?

daveeym
04-25-2005, 07:11 PM
Can everyone here agree that if we ever win a World Series that this message board going without ripping players to shreds for at least 24 hours?No way it could. If it happened this year there'd be immediate turmoil and complaining that frank should stay/go within minutes of the final out.

samram
04-25-2005, 07:18 PM
Media coverage.