PDA

View Full Version : Something Positive to report on regarding our SOX

Hangar18
04-25-2005, 02:03 PM
I was at the Audioslave show Friday nite, was a good time. It was chilly
so I wore my new Sox pullover, and I was amazed at the number of SOX related paraphernalia I saw people wearing at the show. My buddy, who isnt into baseball remarked on this as we neared the Aragon. But once we entered, it
was all Sox Fans high-fiving each other, acknowledging one another and myself, and constant asking what the score was. Sox fans outnumbered fans of the Blue Corporation like 20-1 !

My buddy remarked how he was in the bathroom and a fan of the Corporation was trying to give the business to a SOX fan, only to be rebuked by the ten other SOX fans leading to that familiar chant
(the one in which we describe our feelings towards them) Funny to hear
this being reported by a guy who isnt really a Sox fan (hes a sympathizer and has grown to despise the corporation and their "fans")

likeawarlord
04-25-2005, 02:13 PM
i was at the final hey mercedes show saturday night at the metro and when everyone got word that the sox had won the crowd briefly chanted, "white sox, white sox." it was sweet, i definitely got the impression that the crowd was largely sox fans.

DaleJRFan
04-25-2005, 02:18 PM
i was at the final hey mercedes show saturday night at the metro and when everyone got word that the sox had won the crowd briefly chanted, "white sox, white sox." it was sweet, i definitely got the impression that the crowd was largely sox fans.

FINAL hey mercedes show??? Did they break up? I work with a guy who used to play in a band with one of the dudes in that band... I guess they went to U of I together or something. I really liked the new album. Too bad they broke up.

likeawarlord
04-25-2005, 02:25 PM
yeah, they broke up, its too bad. they were my favorite band on earth 2001-2002 or there abouts. purely out of curiosity, who do you know that knows them?

Uncle_Patrick
04-25-2005, 02:37 PM
Hey Mercedes broke up? I used to see Braid all the time, but I never got around to listening to Hey Mercedes. Oh well, Friction was the best thing Bob Nanna ever did anyway.

TaylorStSox
04-25-2005, 02:47 PM
All of these posts about wearing your Sox gear make me think of Colors. It's not a gang people. It's a baseball team.

Baby Fisk
04-25-2005, 02:49 PM
All of these posts about wearing your Sox gear make me think of Colors. It's not a gang people. It's a baseball team.

I'm still recovering from this line:

My buddy remarked how he was in the bathroom and a fan of the Corporation was trying to give the business to a SOX fan
Mercy!

likeawarlord
04-25-2005, 02:58 PM
Hey Mercedes broke up? I used to see Braid all the time, but I never got around to listening to Hey Mercedes. Oh well, Friction was the best thing Bob Nanna ever did anyway.

nanna's stuff as city on film isn't so bad. i liked braid, but they really only put out one good album.

TommyJohn
04-25-2005, 03:44 PM

We gangs in L.A., we never die.
Just multiply.

seanpmurphy
04-25-2005, 04:05 PM
Shouldn't all this talk of Hey Mercedes be saved for What's the Score? Just making a comment...

mike squires
04-25-2005, 04:28 PM
Champaign had an awesome music scene there for awhile that had many bands on the verge of "breaking out." Hum, Menthol, Braid, Angie Heaton (she's still around) Suede Chain...For you old school folks, anyone remember Honcho Overload???

Realist
04-25-2005, 04:29 PM
so I wore my new Sox pullover, and I was amazed at the number of SOX related paraphernalia I saw people wearing at the show. My buddy, who isnt into baseball remarked on this as we neared the Aragon. But once we entered, it
was all Sox Fans high-fiving each other, acknowledging one another and myself, and constant asking what the score was. Sox fans outnumbered fans of the Blue Corporation like 20-1 !

My buddy remarked how he was in the bathroom and a fan of the Corporation was trying to give the business to a SOX fan, only to be rebuked by the ten other SOX fans leading to that familiar chant
this being reported by a guy who isnt really a Sox fan (hes a sympathizer and has grown to despise the corporation and their "fans")

My buddy, Dave (the guy you met in Minny) was at that same concert but he wasn't wearing any Sox stuff, although he's a huge Sox fan. :smile:

Blueprint1
04-25-2005, 04:31 PM
I went down to ISU about a week ago and saw Sox stuff everywhere. Most people are bandwagon fans. We are the die hards. I think that interleague play is the worst thing that ever happend to the sox.

DaleJRFan
04-25-2005, 04:37 PM
Champaign had an awesome music scene there for awhile that had many bands on the verge of "breaking out." Hum, Menthol, Braid, Angie Heaton (she's still around) Suede Chain...For you old school folks, anyone remember Honcho Overload???

Hum made it. Revis made it (after they moved to LA)... lots of bands from Champaign made it. Good scene there.

kevingrt
04-25-2005, 05:29 PM

Well from what I think I know, White Sox fans are much more into rock and roll and they seem to be a much younger generation. Cubs fans don't really remind me much of a Audioslave type crowd.

But anyways, how was Morello on the guitar. He is easily a Top 20 guitarist of all time. Best guitarist of a weak '90s period I think and early 2000's.

BearSox
04-25-2005, 05:38 PM
Well from what I think I know, White Sox fans are much more into rock and roll and they seem to be a much younger generation. Cubs fans don't really remind me much of a Audioslave type crowd.

But anyways, how was Morello on the guitar. He is easily a Top 20 guitarist of all time. Best guitarist of a weak '90s period I think and early 2000's.

Morello actually is a Cubs fan, I've seen him wear the hat many times. Perhaps he was the one person in the 20-1 ratio.

seanpmurphy
04-25-2005, 06:09 PM
I went down to ISU about a week ago and saw Sox stuff everywhere. Most people are bandwagon fans. We are the die hards. I think that interleague play is the worst thing that ever happend to the sox.

Illinois State is a predominantly Cubs fan campus dude.

chisoxfanatic
04-25-2005, 07:09 PM
Illinois State is a predominantly Cubs fan campus dude.

Agreed. I graduated from there just last May and couldn't get out of that town quick enough. For the record, they even talk more about the CARDINALS than the Sox downstate.

Shammy Hater
04-25-2005, 07:15 PM
awesome story. when i was in chicago on the 14th to see the shins, i asked one of the security guards why they were wearing all black instead of the traditional yellow jackets. he responded, "cause good guys wear black, that's why." damn right, i responded. but there were about 4/1 cubs to sox fans there, and that's being generous.

i spat "first place" all night but it didn't feel the same being two weeks into the season and all.

Dub25
04-25-2005, 07:19 PM

I remember Hum! What was that song? Something about stars...

SpammySosa
04-25-2005, 07:28 PM

I loved Honcho Overload!I have their 2 albums plus their 45's. They were all members of Hum except the drummer. If you are going to be giving shout outs to the old C-U scene,don't forget Poster Children,LoveCup,Hushtower and Hardvark among others.:bandance:

OKCidiot
04-25-2005, 07:31 PM
I remember Hum! What was that song? Something about stars...

"She thinks she missed the train to Mars... she's out back counting stars..."

Got a bit of airplay on Q101 back in '95; from their CD, You'd Prefer An Astronaut

Uncle_Patrick
04-25-2005, 07:47 PM
"She thinks she missed the train to Mars... she's out back counting stars..."

Got a bit of airplay on Q101 back in '95; from their CD, You'd Prefer An Astronaut

I remember the video was on "Beavis and Butthead". There was a pause after the intro of the song and they thought that was the whole video so they changed the station.

seanpmurphy
04-27-2005, 12:38 AM
Agreed. I graduated from there just last May and couldn't get out of that town quick enough. For the record, they even talk more about the CARDINALS than the Sox downstate.

The worst is definitely all of the girls running around in Cubs t-shirts and hats that you can tell a mile away they know nothing about the game or the team. *sigh*

soltrain21
04-27-2005, 01:16 AM
I was at the Hey Mercedes show, too. Awesome set, This is me Smiling was as amazing as I hoped, too.

I was wondering where that brief White Sox chant came from...I commented to my GF about it because I was checking my cell phone to see if the Sox won or not.

Max Power
04-27-2005, 12:00 PM
I was at the Audioslave show (with my Sox hat on, of course) and there was definitely more Sox stuff than Cubs. I don't know about 20-1 though. I had a guy wearing a Nomah jersey jersey in front of me, so that sucked.
I was kicking myself for not getting a good spot on Morello's side of the stage, I ended up on Tim C's side. It was a treat to get to watch Morello on his solos and stuff. Bulls on Parade was a highlight.
I think Hangar's threads have subconsciously influenced me. Now whenever I'm out in public I'm always looking to see which team has more apparel. Sometimes when I see someone in Cubs' stuff I'll think, "looks like a bandwagon fan, probably doesn't know the name of their first basemen. what a loser."

Flight #24
04-27-2005, 12:33 PM
Sometimes when I see someone in Cubs' stuff I'll think, "looks like a bandwagon fan, probably doesn't know the name of their first basemen. what a loser."

That's surprising, most Schlub fans know right away that it's Mark Grace!

anewman35
04-27-2005, 01:16 PM
If you are going to be giving shout outs to the old C-U scene,don't forget Poster Children,LoveCup,Hushtower and Hardvark among others.:bandance:

Other great Champaign bands from the late 90's - Wolfie and Sarge. Both sadly departed, but key people from each now lead the great Chicago bands The Like Young and The Reputation. And I'm not just saying that because I started the Yahoo Group for The Reputation.

I can't believe this thread is still in the clubhouse.