PDA

View Full Version : Sox Supporters?

Layla
04-25-2005, 02:29 PM
Any former members of the Sox Supporters here?

You know, the group who used to sit in left field, have all the banners?

I was out there in the late 70's and early 80's.:wink:

voodoochile
04-25-2005, 02:34 PM
Not me, but I moved your thread where it will get the most attention and be most likely to generate a positive response. Heck, it might even strike up an interesting discussion of banners you folks had.

Oh and welcome aboard...:D:

(Edit: and the original version of "Layla" blows the unplugged version out of the water, IMO)

StillMissOzzie
04-25-2005, 02:43 PM
Welcome to WSI! Anyone who took their name from my all-time favorite song can't be all bad.

SMO
:gulp:

Layla
04-25-2005, 02:44 PM
Not me, but I moved your thread where it will get the most attention and be most likely to generate a positive response. Heck, it might even strike up an interesting discussion of banners you folks had.

Oh and welcome aboard...:D:

(Edit: and the original version of "Layla" blows the unplugged version out of the water, IMO)

Thanks for the welcome and for moving the thread. As a newbie, I didn't want to put it in the wrong section.

And I have to agree with the remark about the original "Layla" - I always think of the acoustic version as Layla in slow motion.

Erik The Red
04-25-2005, 03:01 PM
And I have to agree with the remark about the original "Layla" - I always think of the acoustic version as Layla in slow motion.
Haha, that's how I always thought of it too. :D:

tebman
04-25-2005, 03:24 PM

If you were one of those witty folks with the banners during those years, major props to you!

Some of my favs:
"Oh, for the long one!"
"Welcome Annual Pennant Chokers" (for the Royals)
"Good Morning, Ralph!" (to wake up Ralph Garr as he snoozed in LF)

HITMEN OF 77
04-25-2005, 04:07 PM
"Welcome Annual Pennant Chokers" (for the Royals)

Indeed, my favorite.

jackbrohamer
04-25-2005, 04:42 PM
The Sox Supporters were great, the "annual pennant chokers" was one of the best ever, I think some KC players ripped it down once before a game, lots of others too:

"Pitch at Risk to Rich Zisk"

"Last Year We Took A Gamble To Get Rich, This Year We're Putting Our Money In Bonds"

"Cowans the Coward"

Weren't they mostly IIT students?

DannyCaterFan
04-25-2005, 04:49 PM

Hi Layla. I was a card carrying member of the old "Left Field Granstand " Fans of the late 60's and early 70's. I believed that eventually morphed into the "Sox Supporters. I sat out there regularly during the 70's. I still have my Blue Sox Left field grandstand batting helmet that John Allen actually hand delivered to us in left field the day he took over the ownership of the team.

OKCidiot
04-25-2005, 08:45 PM
Wasn't Lana (the blonde girl with the pompoms) part of their group as well?

How about the banner, KITTLE'S HOMERS ARE MASSIVELY CATACLYSMIC!!!

Lip Man 1
04-25-2005, 09:00 PM
Oh No! Not Bart! (Johnson)

Ohhh...For The Long One!

Lip

TornLabrum
04-25-2005, 09:02 PM
One of my favorites was the eye chart that when you put the first part together said "Example of a bad call ump..."

I don't know who put the giant jock strap together for Dave Stewart in 1990, but that was a classic.

whtsx1959
04-25-2005, 10:25 PM
My parents were both sox supporters

Fake Chet Lemon
04-25-2005, 10:56 PM
"Ohhh, for the long one" with the bulls-eyes all over was just a sight to behold. 1977 was still the most fun year to be a fan, maybe partially because I was a young kid falling in love with my team for the first time. You guys rocked out there. I'm doing my best to teach some of that passion I learned from you guys to my kids. Welcome aboard Layla, I know it's going to be great to have you on the site. :welcome:

rwcescato
04-26-2005, 12:50 AM
Oh No! Not Bart! (Johnson)

Ohhh...For The Long One!

Lip

"Come on Spence hit it over the fence"

"Send it flying to the Ryan"

Good memories.
Rich

jackbrohamer
04-26-2005, 09:45 AM
IIRC they had one with a big hot dog in a bun and a Reggie Jackson head after he went to the Yankees.

Layla
04-26-2005, 12:07 PM
My parents were both sox supporters

I didn't need to hear that.:rolleyes:

And to reply to some of the posts:

first off, thanks again for such a terrific welcome to these boards. My son found it, I started to read through, and immediately signed up.

Yeah, the eye chart (Example of a Bad Call), Welcome Annual Pennant Chokers were classic.

So, here's a little story about the making of one banner:

I can't remember the year, probaby 1982. Richard Dotson asked us once why he didn't have a banner. We all replied we couldn't think of anything. So he said if he could think of something, could we make it? We said sure.

Sure enough, Richard came back to us and came up with "Datsun Saves" (crossed over with a big red X) and "Dotson Wins" underneath.
(For you young ones out there, back then Nissan cars were called Datsuns).

tebman
04-26-2005, 12:37 PM
I didn't need to hear that.:rolleyes:

And to reply to some of the posts:

first off, thanks again for such a terrific welcome to these boards. My son found it, I started to read through, and immediately signed up.

Yeah, the eye chart (Example of a Bad Call), Welcome Annual Pennant Chokers were classic.

So, here's a little story about the making of one banner:

I can't remember the year, probaby 1982. Richard Dotson asked us once why he didn't have a banner. We all replied we couldn't think of anything. So he said if he could think of something, could we make it? We said sure.

Sure enough, Richard came back to us and came up with "Datsun Saves" (crossed over with a big red X) and "Dotson Wins" underneath.
(For you young ones out there, back then Nissan cars were called Datsuns).

DanH, who's a member of this board, announced a couple of months ago that he's writing a book about the 1977 Sox and that magical season. As an up-close-and-personal member of the leftfield Sox Supporters, you were a big part of that. Check out this thread -- Dan might like to talk to you to collect some stories about that group:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=43890

cubhater
04-26-2005, 01:38 PM

I usally sit with or near John behind the Sox bullpen on some weekends and have had the honor of holding up the 'Ohhhhhh For The Long One' a few times at The Cell. I wish he would bring the banner more often.:bandance:

Sox-on-TV44
04-26-2005, 02:06 PM
Some other good ones.

"Made To Orta"

"Home Sweet Soderholm"

"Boomin' Baines"

"Please deposit baseball here"

BTW:Didn't they brought back that "Pitch to Zisk" banner back when the Sox got Carlton Fisk?You know,"Pitch To Fisk At Your own Risk".

Lip Man 1
04-26-2005, 06:00 PM
Yes to the Fisk banner question.

Lip