PDA

View Full Version : Donovan rips Ozzie on SI.com

halfpricemonday
04-25-2005, 12:49 PM
SI's John Donovan rips Ozzie for Ozzie-Mags feud (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writers/john_donovan/04/25/guillen.ordonez/index.html)

But to be an effective manager at anything -- especially in the ego-driven world of professional baseball -- you have to protect your people. You have to stroke them more often than scald them. And, if necessary, you have to water down the truth once in a while when talking to others about them.

The shame of all this is that it comes as the Sox are off to their best 19-game start (15-4) in the 100-plus years of their history. The spotlight should be on Paul Konerko, Mark Buehrle, Orlando Hernandez, Joe Crede and Scott Podsednik. It shouldn't be on a loose-lipped manager and two players who, at least right now, have little to do with this team.

Guillen has fueled this feud, though, and now the Sox and everyone around them have to deal with it.

Is this story still around? I guess so, since I guess there's nothing else to write about with the Sox.

MUsoxfan
04-25-2005, 12:52 PM
Funny how this story is a distraction to everyone but the White Sox. Konerko and Buehrle (and likely most on the team) thought the story was hilarious. It's just a welcome distraction to these media outlets that don't want to cover the most positive thing to come from the southside in years.

Fake Chet Lemon
04-25-2005, 12:53 PM
I love it. Keep pissing them off Ozzie. They get so upset when they can't IGNORE us. When Ozzie goes off, they have to pay attention to us and THEY HATE THAT!!! YES!

Everyone hated Ditka and his mouth in 1985 too. Ozzie "Daaaaa Skipper"?

skottyj242
04-25-2005, 12:57 PM
I couldn't disagree more...I think it's great that Ozzie has taken the spotlight off the team so that they can concentrate on what's important...winning. I like that the team is getting no national attention, who cares what they think, all that matters is W's.

MRKARNO
04-25-2005, 01:21 PM
You cannot write a competent story about this without the word "enemy."

DaleJRFan
04-25-2005, 01:25 PM
I read the article and didn't think it was that big of a deal. The article contains a support quote from the General Manager and suggests as long as the team is performing, he'll be fine.

And personally, I like the fire. Keep it comin' Ozzie, this town needs a badass.

Randar68
04-25-2005, 01:25 PM
The spotlight should be on Paul Konerko, Mark Buehrle, Orlando Hernandez, Joe Crede and Scott Podsednik.

The focus should be on Konerko and his team-leading 18 K's and his whopping .239 average?

How about Iguchi hitting over .300 after 19 games? Maybe Konerko's whopping .143 average w/ RISP is worth spotlighting?

fledgedrallycap
04-25-2005, 01:26 PM
Funny how this story is a distraction to everyone but the White Sox. Konerko and Buehrle (and likely most on the team) thought the story was hilarious. It's just a welcome distraction to these media outlets that don't want to cover the most positive thing to come from the southside in years.

Carmen and Silvy were talking about how the players found it so funny they were trying to find audio on the outburst...

ode to veeck
04-25-2005, 01:28 PM
Donovan totally loses both the point and the context in this poor excuse for a column. Don't mind Ozzie's fire myself. Let the media make a mountain out of a molehill, rather than report on the real story, the Sox great start. I guess they'll write about anything else 1st.

DaleJRFan
04-25-2005, 01:30 PM
The focus should be on Konerko and his team-leading 18 K's and his whopping .239 average?

How about Iguchi hitting over .300 after 19 games? Maybe Konerko's whopping .143 average w/ RISP is worth spotlighting?

c'mon Randar, he leads MLB with seven homeruns. :cool:

The focus should be on HOW they win. Clutch hitting from roleplayers and excellent pitching. Even Contreras is performing well, all things considered. The one game they have lost when he started was Shingo blowup day... the other 3 starts they won. His ERA is under 4. Man I hope he can keep it up. I am probably in the minority here, but I don't want any rookies in the rotation when we have a chance to really do something this season.

I found it amusing on BBTN, the special about the ultimate leadoff man, and NO mention of Pods kicking the S*** out of the opponents. They suck. I hate them. Why do I still watch it?!?

Randar68
04-25-2005, 01:46 PM
c'mon Randar, he leads MLB with seven homeruns. :cool:

The focus should be on HOW they win. Clutch hitting from roleplayers and excellent pitching. Even Contreras is performing well, all things considered. The one game they have lost when he started was Shingo blowup day... the other 3 starts they won. His ERA is under 4. Man I hope he can keep it up. I am probably in the minority here, but I don't want any rookies in the rotation when we have a chance to really do something this season.

I found it amusing on BBTN, the special about the ultimate leadoff man, and NO mention of Pods kicking the S*** out of the opponents. They suck. I hate them. Why do I still watch it?!?

Why take any of the on-air people seriously? Half these guys couldn't execute fundamental baseball themselves or couldn't lead a little league team, let alone coach a major league team (Bowa for baseball, Digger Phelps and Dickie V for college hoops, then you have Harold Reynolds, good lord)...

Who cares if they like us or not. Folks, these guys all predicted us to finish 3rd or 4th, yout think these guys are honest or man enough to admit fault or eat crow after 19 games? These guys don't want to be wrong and lose credibility, just wait till the Sox lose a couple in a row, it'll be all "Sox coming back to earth," "Reality catches up with Sox", etc etc.

The middle part of this order (save Carl's couple of weeks) has been absolute CRAP. Dye, Konerko, Rowand, etc... just absolutely horrible. No OBP, no average, it's a black hole. Yet we're 15-4. They won't hit like that all year, and I doubt we'll have a 3.15 team ERA come August either, but it just shows that we're balanced enough pitching, hitting, and defense-wise, to overcome some of the long-term lulls Sox teams of the past few years have fallen into when the middle of the order goes silent.

nlentz88
04-25-2005, 02:36 PM
Carmen and Silvy were talking about how the players found it so funny they were trying to find audio on the outburst...

Does anyone know if audio is available anywhere online? When I read the text of Ozzie's response, I figured it would be archived among the great rants of Elia and Mora.

fledgedrallycap
04-25-2005, 02:51 PM
Does anyone know if audio is available anywhere online? When I read the text of Ozzie's response, I figured it would be archived among the great rants of Elia and Mora.

Apparently, the outburst was with the print media only. I find it hard to believe not one reporter had a digital recorder which holds that little gem, but then again, after reading the coverage our papers give the Sox and the inacuracies printed on a daily basis - it doesn't suprise me :smile:

ChiSoxBobette
04-25-2005, 02:58 PM
SI's John Donovan rips Ozzie for Ozzie-Mags feud (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writers/john_donovan/04/25/guillen.ordonez/index.html)

Is this story still around? I guess so, since I guess there's nothing else to write about with the Sox.

Who is this a$$hole , and Ozzie has'nt fueled anything, if anyone continues to fuel the fire on this its fagglio ordonez, like Ozzie said he plays for detroit now so why should we worry about him.

spawn
04-25-2005, 03:05 PM
Then we have Scott Miller from CBSSportlsine.com: 2. Ozzie Guillen vs. Magglio Ordonez: The verbal feud escalated even further last week, and Guillen called Ordonez "my enemy." Hey, Ozzie, you're a manager now. Take the high road.Linky (http://cbs.sportsline.com/mlb/story/8416802/4)

Hey moron, It was Ordonez who started this latest barrage by saying Guillen was his enemy, not the other way around. Here's a question: why is everyone ripping Ozzie for his comments, yet Ordonez gets a free pass?

halfpricemonday
04-25-2005, 03:29 PM
Here's a question: why is everyone ripping Ozzie for his comments, yet Ordonez gets a free pass?

And where are the reporters like PTI's Michael Wilbon, who loved Ozzie's comments and wished that his Flubs had a manager who's not afraid to stand up for himself? Is Wilbon a disgrace to journalism for thinking that Ozzie is a breath of fresh air?

Granted, Wilbon is cheering for the wrong Chicago team, but for a Cubs fan, he's not that bad. At least he and I agree on the Baby Bulls. :smile:

You'd think with a couple of clubhouse cancers like AJ and Ozzie, the Sox would have just packed it in and called off the season already.

MIgrenade
04-25-2005, 04:21 PM
What I like about the story is the KW says he's fine with what Ozzie is doing, yet Donovan somehow interprets that as meaning Guillen might get fired.

Stellar.

Realist
04-25-2005, 04:27 PM
The lesson in this whole 3 ring circus is that's it's probably not a good idea to call someone your enemy because if they weren't before you said it, you better believe they will be after you say it. Ordonez and the rest of the world should know that by the time they get out of high school.

Randar68
04-25-2005, 04:46 PM
The lesson in this whole 3 ring circus is that's it's probably not a good idea to call someone your enemy because if they weren't before you said it, you better believe they will be after you say it. Ordonez and the rest of the world should know that by the time they get out of high school.

The other lesson is to not listen to "gurus" if you're capable of forming your own opinion.

Then again, these are lso the same kinds of guys who make preseason college football and basketball rankings and then refuse to adjust them open-mindedly without weighting their previous opinions of them...

Corlose 15
04-25-2005, 05:34 PM
Then we have Scott Miller from CBSSportlsine.com:

Hey moron, It was Ordonez who started this latest barrage by saying Guillen was his enemy, not the other way around. Here's a question: why is everyone ripping Ozzie for his comments, yet Ordonez gets a free pass?

The laziness and skewed reporting on this issue is absolutely mind boggling. I have yet to see an analysis that says what Ordonez said to set ozzie off. Unbelieveable. :angry: :rolleyes:

FoulTerritory
04-25-2005, 08:26 PM
The Monday Night Baseball broadcasters on ESPN just talked about Ozzie for about 5 min. straight. They both seemed to support Ozzie's behavior/comments in a vague sort of way. Sutcliffe said he reads it as Ozzie calling Maggs a "dog" and he doesn't have problems with a manager that expects players to have fire and "scrap" every day.