PDA

View Full Version : Pete Rose - In or Out?

BaseballTonyght
04-25-2005, 11:53 AM
I'm sure this has been discussed here numerous times. However, there are some new developments. I heard a report on the radio this morning that this is Pete Rose's final year of eligability for the ballot. Meaning, if Selig doesn't reinstate him before November, the only way he'll ever see the Hall is via the Veteran's Committee. The sportswriters will never have another chance to vote him in.

The radio report stated that the Veteran's Committee, which is the only avenue to the Hall after a player has exhausted his 15-year eligability, has addressed this subject many times and "senior members" have made it very clear that they'll never vote him in. And, of course, even if Selig does reinstate him (which I don't think he will) there is no guarantee the writers would vote him in.

I personally feel he belongs in the Hall. 4,256.

So, quite simply, in or out?

MUsoxfan
04-25-2005, 11:56 AM
2 years ago I would have voted to let him in. After admitting he bet after all those years of denying it, made my vote a no-vote. If he had kept up the lie until the day he died I would have wanted to have him in. He can't lie, lie, lie and then tell the truth and expect all to be forgiven (and to make quick $$ on a book). Keep him out....he knew the rules.

samram
04-25-2005, 11:59 AM
2 years ago I would have voted to let him in. After admitting he bet after all those years of denying it, made my vote a no-vote. If he had kept up the lie until the day he died I would have wanted to have him in. He can't lie, lie, lie and then tell the truth and expect all to be forgiven (and to make quick $$ on a book). Keep him out....he knew the rules.

I can't put it any better than that.

Jerko
04-25-2005, 12:04 PM
If McLiar, Scammy, or Bonds makes it, Rose should make it. At least he got his 4000 some hits "cleanly". Is he an *******? Yes, but it's the HOF we're talking about, not the Vatican.

Stroker Ace
04-25-2005, 12:07 PM
I feel that he should be in the HOF. He's the all time hit leader! And if players like Bonds, McGwire, and Scammin' Sammy get in, there should be now reason why Charlie Hustle shouldn't get the call. What they did directly affected the game, and what Rose did could or could not have.

D. TODD
04-25-2005, 01:17 PM
If McLiar, Scammy, or Bonds makes it, Rose should make it. At least he got his 4000 some hits "cleanly". Is he an *******? Yes, but it's the HOF we're talking about, not the Vatican. Only if the use of amphetamines, which is defined as a classic performance enhancing drug is considered to be clean. With M.L.B.'s new tough drug policy it still is not tested for, so I guess they could still be popped like M & M's like they did in Rose's hayday.

NSSoxFan
04-25-2005, 01:19 PM
Until players like Joe Jackson and Fred McMullin are given a pass, then Pete Rose should not sniff the HoF.