PDA

View Full Version : Phillips chat

maff
04-25-2005, 12:47 PM
Here's a question I posed to Steve:

Mike (IL): What's your take on the Ozzie/Magglio feud? BTW, Magglio started the feud and keeps pressing on with it. Wanted to throw that out there because everyone seems to think Ozzie's the instigator. Maggs was a South Side fan favorite but his me-first attitude over the past year makes me happy he's gone, your take?

Steve Phillips: (12:43 PM ET ) It's time for it to end from the White Sox pespective. Guillen and Kenny Williams need to make it go away. The White Sox have moved on and are playing good baseball. Don't engage Ordonez in this sort of debate. It is a mistake for the short term because it can be a distractiona and the long term because players on other teams are looking at this as an organization taking shots at a former star player. It will make other players think twice for coming to play for the White Sox. It doesn't matter who started the trash talking. They just need to make it stop.

Kinda seems like he avoided throwing any criticism Maggs' way, why does everyone in the media do this? Don't they know Magglio's been the one acting selfish and immature recently?:?:

HomeFish
04-25-2005, 12:52 PM
1) The media kissing up to Maggs makes none of our 15 wins go away.
2) The media giving a damn about the White Sox won't make Oakland any easier to beat over the next three days.

So, I must ask, who cares?

The Racehorse
04-25-2005, 01:00 PM
It is a mistake for the short term because it can be a distractiona and the long term because players on other teams are looking at this as an organization taking shots at a former star player. It will make other players think twice for coming to play for the White Sox.

Like Freddy Garcia, AJ Pierzynski, Dustin Hermanson, Orlando Hernandez and Jermaine Dye?

samram
04-25-2005, 01:03 PM
He also hinted he thinks the Twins will end up winning the division. Oh well, same old same old. I don't know why we should expect anything different. Just keep winning.

Banix12
04-25-2005, 01:07 PM
Kinda seems like he avoided throwing any criticism Maggs' way, why does everyone in the media do this? Don't they know Magglio's been the one acting selfish and immature recently?:?:

Ozzie brought the harsher criticism down on him mostly because of the way he responded. Ozzie's swearing was easy for the media to criticize and overshadowed Ordonez's original comment.

There is nothing the media loves more than a moral superiority and a good ol' fashioned uproar over nothing important.

Soxzilla
04-25-2005, 01:07 PM
That is just a stupid response from Phillips, but what did you expect?

First off, as stated previously on several accounts, Magglio was the jagbag that started the whole fiasco. Until he ran his mouth nobody was even concerned with what he was, or WASN'T doing in Detroit. And regardless, how can Kenny Williams and Ozzie diffuse this situation when they are constantly being bombarded by the media asking questions about the incident. I think Ozzie put it clearly that he doesn't care what that bag of crap, gagglio, thinks.

Maybe if the jags on BBTN would stop talking about. It would go away. :rolleyes:

SSN721
04-25-2005, 01:08 PM
He also hinted he thinks the Twins will end up winning the division. Oh well, same old same old. I don't know why we should expect anything different. Just keep winning.

Well he predicted the Sox coming in 4th, so he cant give them any credit at all.