PDA

View Full Version : 15-4 !! SOX best start in their history, but Media continues Indifference

Hangar18
04-25-2005, 11:02 AM
Take a look at how the Sun-Times chose to cover the SOX record streak.

Wednesday: entire back page cover shot of Nomar possibly hurt
advantage cubs
Thursday: entire back page cover shot of Nomar being hurt
advantage cubs
Friday: entire back page cover shot of College Football players
advantage bears
Saturday: entire back page cover shot of College Football players
advantage bears
Sunday: entire back page cover shot of Nomar being hurt
advantage cubs
Monday: entire back page cover shot of Bulls winning
advantage bulls

Before anyone starts saying "well, if start winning, we'll get the coverage"
let me say this. The media doesnt care. Mike and Mike seemed
bothered by the fact that Roger Clemens has a 1-0 record, but 0.37 era.

Bias
04-25-2005, 11:05 AM

Wednesday: entire back page cover shot of Nomar possibly hurt
advantage cubs
Thursday: entire back page cover shot of Nomar being hurt
advantage cubs
Friday: entire back page cover shot of College Football players
advantage bears
Saturday: entire back page cover shot of College Football players
advantage bears
Sunday: entire back page cover shot of Nomar being hurt
advantage cubs
Monday: entire back page cover shot of Bulls winning
advantage bulls

Before anyone starts saying "well, if start winning, we'll get the coverage"
let me say this. The media doesnt care. Mike and Mike seemed
bothered by the fact that Roger Clemens has a 1-0 record, but 0.37 era.

Honestly, I don't care about media coverage. Do like I do and get your news on the Internet and you won't even know who is on the front or back page. Just read what you want to read. And I'll trade W's for weak coverage any day.

soxfan26
04-25-2005, 11:06 AM

15-5 huh? I guess they don't even need to bother suiting up tonight. :rolleyes:

mikehuff
04-25-2005, 11:06 AM
Don't get ahead of yourself - the Sox are 15-4

santo=dorf
04-25-2005, 11:07 AM
Once again Hangar, you **** up our record. :angry:

15-4

voodoochile
04-25-2005, 11:07 AM
NEWS FLASH! THE SOX ARE 15-4 HANGAR!

Tribune Headline: Local thorn in Media's side doesn't know his own team's record!

Jerko
04-25-2005, 11:09 AM
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-12/903959/tinfoil.jpg

soxtalker
04-25-2005, 11:14 AM
The coverage of the Cubs regarding Nomar doesn't bother me. That's a major blow to their seaon.

And maybe the Bulls focus makes some sense, though the coverage seems a
bit overstated. It's nice that they made the playoffs, but it's only the first round.

However, it is the wall-to-wall coverage of the Bears that I just couldn't understand. It's only a few draft picks. I can ignore the newspaper pages with the infinite details about college players available, past picks, etc. But the coverage on TV and radio crowded out Sox talk.

The Racehorse
04-25-2005, 11:24 AM
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-12/903959/tinfoil.jpg

... but I've seen the "tin foil hat" reference on numerous occasions... but I don't get it. :redface:

Can someone break it down for me?

voodoochile
04-25-2005, 11:27 AM
... but I've seen the "tin foil hat" reference on numerous occasions... but I don't get it. :redface:

It's an old conspiracy thing about the tinfoil blocking the waves from aliens/government satelites/etc. that would otherwise control our brains. People who wear tinfoil hats are by definition crackpots because they not only believe these waves are real, but believe the tinfoil will help prevent the problem.

spawn
04-25-2005, 11:29 AM
The coverage of the Cubs regarding Nomar doesn't bother me. That's a major blow to their seaon.

And maybe the Bulls focus makes some sense, though the coverage seems a
bit overstated. It's nice that they made the playoffs, but it's only the first round.

However, it is the wall-to-wall coverage of the Bears that I just couldn't understand. It's only a few draft picks. I can ignore the newspaper pages with the infinite details about college players available, past picks, etc. But the coverage on TV and radio crowded out Sox talk.
I can understand the Bulls coverage, even if it's only the first round. And considering it's the first time the Bulls have been in the playoffs in 7 years, and considering most experts didn't predict this team would even make the playoffs, the coverage is deserved.
As for the Bears, this is, first and foremost, a Bears town, so the coverage of Da Bears is understandable as well.

Nellie_Fox
04-25-2005, 11:29 AM

Can someone break it down for me?Tin foil hats are known for their ability to prevent voices from getting into the heads of the paranoid.

itsnotrequired
04-25-2005, 11:31 AM
It's an old conspiracy thing about the tinfoil blocking the waves from aliens/government satelites/etc. that would otherwise control our brains. People who wear tinfoil hats are by definition crackpots because they not only believe these waves are real, but believe the tinfoil will help prevent the problem.

Watch out, they've gotten you!:D:

StillMissOzzie
04-25-2005, 11:31 AM

I dunno know where THAT picture is from, but I recall an episode from NYPD Blue where thay had some nut job calling the station house about aliens. The civilian aide suggested lining their hats with tin foil, as that interfered with the alien's ability to read your mind.

In short, any reference to "time to change the foil", etc., is a kind and mild suggestion that the writer is a conspiracy nut / whack job.

SMO
:gulp:

Edit: wow, voodoo & Nellie were all over that one pronto!

The Racehorse
04-25-2005, 11:33 AM

LOL... thanks!

Good stuff... can't wait to break that out on family and friends. :D:

Jerko
04-25-2005, 11:33 AM
That photo was from the movie "Signs".

Hangar18
04-25-2005, 11:44 AM

heh heh, I always think of Joaquin when I hear the tinfoil reference.

Tinfoil is used to refer to me for always thinking theres a Media Conspiracy
when it comes to covering the SOX vs Cubs. I believe the media
would rather talk about anything else except the SOX, and this streak
seems to fuel the fires. Can you imagine for a moment, if it was the cubs
who were 15-4 right now? (shudders at the thought of quadruple the coverage, three times the print media space)

TommyJohn
04-25-2005, 12:09 PM
Can you imagine for a moment, if it was the cubs
who were 15-4 right now? (shudders at the thought of quadruple the coverage, three times the print media space)

There would be not nearly enough paper to print all the ink that they would be getting.

jackbrohamer
04-25-2005, 12:31 PM
I don't pay much attention to media coverage esp. this early, but it hacked me off that the Cubune web site manages to call the Sox' win Sunday "ugly" and "lucky" before the end of the first sentence. :angry: Why not just say the umps cheated.

SoxFan78
04-25-2005, 12:32 PM
There would be not nearly enough paper to print all the ink that they would be getting.

The papers would be running ads for when Cubs playoff tickets go on sale

itsnotrequired
04-25-2005, 12:45 PM
The papers would be running ads for when Cubs playoff tickets go on sale

Wait, you mean you don't already have yours?

Irishsox1
04-25-2005, 01:04 PM
I don't have any energy to complain about the media anymore. If they want to over cover the Red Sox, Yankees and Cubbies...go right ahead. It's only April. I want media coverage in October.

Lip Man 1
04-25-2005, 01:15 PM
By the way the kid with the tinfoil hat in Signs was right wasn't he? LOL

I'm tired of worrying what the media thinks of the Sox, sorry..who cares...just keep winning... the rest will take care of itself, and if it doesn't who cares, Sox fans will still be celebrating just the same won't they?

Lip

MUsoxfan
04-25-2005, 01:18 PM
Sox fans will still be celebrating just the same won't they?

Lip

I'm already eyeing things to set on fire!:angry:

JB98
04-25-2005, 01:30 PM
I don't pay much attention to media coverage esp. this early, but it hacked me off that the Cubune web site manages to call the Sox' win Sunday "ugly" and "lucky" before the end of the first sentence. :angry: Why not just say the umps cheated.

Now you're just being ridiculous. Everyone knows the umps only cheat in games involving the Cubs. They have personal vendettas against Dusty, Zambrano, Hawkins, et al.

I'd actually describe yesterday's win as "ugly" and "lucky" as well. Who cares though? We'll take 'em anyway we can get 'em.