PDA

View Full Version : Is this team for real?

Black_Betsy
04-25-2005, 10:53 AM
Am I dreaming. Are the Sox this good or is it just a early season mirage? I am starting to get really excited about the pale-hose. They seem to be able to find a way to win. I don't thik they are playing great ball yet, but somehow they come away with a win. What do you thin Sox fans? Is this team the real deal or is it too early to tell? Are they just getting lucky, playing weak teams or are they just a team that finds a way to win?

elrod
04-25-2005, 10:57 AM
See the Oakland thread above. We take two of three this series then we are for real. We don't, then it's probably a mirage.

Baby Fisk
04-25-2005, 10:59 AM
Black Betsy: that's an awesome name. :welcome:
The term "killer instinct" has been tossed around a lot here in recent weeks. While the Sox have not shown much of it, they have definitely demonstrated the ability to stay in every game and find ways to win. That's a huge difference from last year. Despite some cold bats, the rotation and bullpen are keeping carrying the team right now. Last year, the bullpen would be handed a 2-1 or a 3-2 deficit and turn that into a 7-1 or 8-2 deficit with frustrating ease. :angry: It's fun to be a Sox fan right now. Here's hoping the fun lasts right to the end of October! With the Sox going to sunny SoCal, maybe the bats will heat up now.

voodoochile
04-25-2005, 11:00 AM
Ask me in a month... I'm too happy to think straight right now. :D:

BaseballTonyght
04-25-2005, 11:02 AM
The pitching will collapse, the runners will not get on base, the sluggers will not slug, and Ozzie will begin systematically murdering puppies.

Paulwny
04-25-2005, 11:09 AM
We'll find out in ~ a month, go once around the league and see how we rate.

Hangar18
04-25-2005, 12:01 PM
As long as the SOX continue to play this way, AND continue to improve
the little holes they do have right now (jermaine dye, walks)
wow. I cant believe how well they have meshed. Im beginning to be a
big fan of Podsednik.

Lip Man 1
04-25-2005, 12:52 PM
I have always felt around Memorial Day is a good check point on a club and what may happen in the future. Talk to me then...until then I'm enjoying what I'm seeing and hoping for the best in the future.

Lip

HomeFish
04-25-2005, 12:58 PM
As a lot of people are saying, the Oakland games will be a huge test. If they can win out there, than this team is something special that we haven't seen in a half-decade; if not, well, they might join the ranks of other Sox teams that had a hot April and then quietly died.

Though, if, from this game forward, the Sox play .500 ball, they will still win 86 games. So we've made it easier for ourselves down the stretch if we falter now or later in the season.

SOXSINCE'70
04-25-2005, 12:58 PM
I have always felt around Memorial Day is a good check point on a club and what may happen in the future. Talk to me then...until then I'm enjoying what I'm seeing and hoping for the best in the future.

Lip

Good point.The beginning of June is a good time to see if this
club is for real.A great b-day present for me would be a
Sox team with an 8 or 9 game lead by June 12th.:cool:

RKMeibalane
04-25-2005, 01:00 PM
As a lot of people are saying, the Oakland games will be a huge test. If they can win out there, than this team is something special that we haven't seen in a half-decade; if not, well, they might join the ranks of other Sox teams that had a hot April and then quietly died.

Though, if, from this game forward, the Sox play .500 ball, they will still win 86 games. So we've made it easier for ourselves down the stretch if we falter now or later in the season.

What makes you think that they're going to play .500 ball for the remainder of the season?

The Racehorse
04-25-2005, 01:02 PM
Yes.

PaleHoseGeorge
04-25-2005, 01:10 PM
Still too early to say... but we couldn't ask for anymore than what we've gotten so far... so it's all good.
:thumbsup:

By April standards, the Sox are the real deal. However April is only good for eliminating teams from the race and not much else. By comparision, the NFL would call this a full season -- plus the playoffs and Super Bowl, too!
:o:

Baseball crowns real champions, not fake ones.
:wink:

May 1 brings changes as the schedule picks up pace and also-ran teams begin thinking about what to do for 2006. Give this question another 4-5 weeks to be answered.

HomeFish
04-25-2005, 01:30 PM
What makes you think that they're going to play .500 ball for the remainder of the season?

I never made such a prediction. I merely said that if the Sox played .500 ball from today to October, something that you would think would be devastating, they would still win 86 games.

That really gives you an idea of just how impressive this start is.

Palehose13
04-25-2005, 01:47 PM
Still too early to say... but we couldn't ask for anymore than what we've gotten so far... so it's all good.
:thumbsup:

By April standards, the Sox are the real deal. However April is only good for eliminating teams from the race and not much else. By comparision, the NFL would call this a full season -- plus the playoffs and Super Bowl, too!
:o:

Baseball crowns real champions, not fake ones.
:wink:

May 1 brings changes as the schedule picks up pace and also-ran teams begin thinking about what to do for 2006. Give this question another 4-5 weeks to be answered.

George...this reply makes me think that you are absolutely giddy. :wink:

Chicago83
04-25-2005, 02:27 PM
19 games does not tell you a lot about a team. Remeber last year when Tampa Bay won 13 in a row?? Yeah and they ended up with a 63-99 record. So just keep that in mind. This team looks good, but going 15-4 proves NOTHING.