PDA

View Full Version : Poll for an anxious Monday -- "Sox-A's: How Many Wins Make the Sox Legit?"

Baby Fisk
04-25-2005, 10:49 AM
The Sox have suffered on the west coast in the past. Call this series: "A New Hope."

samram
04-25-2005, 10:55 AM
This Oakland team isn't good enough to prove a team's legitimacy, although beating Harden would be teriffic. Beating Minnesota 4 of 5 is more impressive and that showed the Sox were legit, IMO. I understand that Oakland has been a house of horrors for the Sox the last several years, but I don't feel their winning two of three adds or proves legitimacy. Now, if they were going to Anaheim, that could be a different story in that it would give the Sox to match up against what could be the best team in the league.

crazyozzie02
04-25-2005, 10:58 AM
Like i said before, a series win will make me REALLY believe

jabrch
04-25-2005, 11:01 AM
This team has legitimized itself already. I'd love to win as many games as possible against Oakland - but if we don't, it by no means illigitimizes what we have already done. On any given day, any team can beat any other team. I like how this series matches up for us since their best pitcher (Harden) gets Buehrle (they have no RH power) and we don't face their second most effective pitchers so far this season (Blanton). Zito has been very hittable. Saarloos is bad. I'm thinking 2 of 3 is reasonable - but by no means does anything less than that make us any less legitimate.

Ol' No. 2
04-25-2005, 11:38 AM
Let's not get crazy and start talking like Cubs fans. They haven't legitimized themselves or won anything yet, and whatever they do in Oakland won't make a hill of beans worth a difference. There's a lot of baseball to be played. The Royals got off to a hot start in 2003, and look how they turned out.

They're 15-4. Not to rain on the parade, but if they play .500 ball the rest of the way, that only puts them at 87-75, which will not be good enough to keep them off the golf courses in October. There's still a loooong way to go. Just enjoy (savor) them as they come.

DaleJRFan
04-25-2005, 11:47 AM
I am very nervous about this series, simply because of the past. Winning the last seven games makes the concept of being swept in Oakland less painful. 7 our of the last 10 sounds good to me. The thing is, we used to hate seeing our team go to Oakland, because we always knew they owned the Sox. But I keep having to remind myself that this is a different team, different pitching staff and a completely different attitude. They find ways to win, no matter who is in the lineup.

Lets hope I can get over my issues with Oakland :o: and watch the Sox pull out yet another series win! :D:

Baby Fisk
04-25-2005, 04:18 PM
This Oakland team isn't good enough to prove a team's legitimacy.

Nice. :cheers:

Take that, FOBB.

HomeFish
04-25-2005, 04:24 PM
One win @OAK makes this a legitimate team that will be competitive for the AL Central well past July.

Two wins @OAK makes this something special.

Three wins @OAK and you're all invited to the SOX party at my place.

tebman
04-25-2005, 04:27 PM
This Oakland team isn't good enough to prove a team's legitimacy, although beating Harden would be teriffic. Beating Minnesota 4 of 5 is more impressive and that showed the Sox were legit, IMO. I understand that Oakland has been a house of horrors for the Sox the last several years, but I don't feel their winning two of three adds or proves legitimacy. Now, if they were going to Anaheim, that could be a different story in that it would give the Sox to match up against what could be the best team in the league.
As much as we're spooked by previous years' west coast trips, we (and I include myself in this) need to think like fans of a contending team and take the long view.

So far, so good. The Sox need to keep fattening up on teams like KC, and not beat themselves when they play against the Angels or the Yankers. Now click your heels together and keep repeating, "one game at a time, one game at a time, one game at a time..."

daveeym
04-25-2005, 04:27 PM
They're legit already, and it's NEVER too early to start drinking.

downstairs
04-25-2005, 04:41 PM
What's legit?

They're already on the list of legit contenders for their divisions.

But its meaningless until *at least* late June...

I'm loving it... but a 6 game skid wipes everything out...

Flight #24
04-25-2005, 04:44 PM
They could sweep Oakland and all we'd hear is "The White Sox are an illusion, that 7 game lead will be a 7-game deficit to the Twins when the season is done".

Of course, we could have a 7-game lead with 6 to play and hear the same thing. That and "That new SS, Steve Presednik, he doesn't have a 3d go-to pitch, so guys are going to figure him out".

PAPChiSox729
04-25-2005, 04:52 PM
I wouldn't say that even if we sweep, we would be "legit". But if we do win this series, I will be much more optimistic. We know Oakland isn't the team they used to be, but just winning a series on the west coast will tell me that this team has changed for the better. I don't think we will sweep, due to Harden on Tuesday, but if we do, well, we will see what happens...

chisoxfanatic
04-25-2005, 06:24 PM
This team is already legit, and are too legit to quit the tear they are on. There's something about this team that seperates them from any other Sox team I've followed (for now), and I've been following them since 1990. Every morning, I get good feelings regarding this ballclub.

Palehose13
04-25-2005, 06:32 PM
This team is already legit, and are too legit to quit the tear they are on. There's something about this team that seperates them from any other Sox team I've followed (for now), and I've been following them since 1990. Every morning, I get good feelings regarding this ballclub.

I agree. While I was watching the game yesterday, I just felt like they couldn't lose. Of course they will lose eventually, but I haven't felt this way about a sports team since the 1985 Bears (I'm not a basketball fan).

BTW...did anyone else hear the soundbyte B&B played this morning at 11? I only caught the end of it, but it sounded like Willie Harris expressing the same sentiments that I stated above.

Ol' No. 2
04-25-2005, 06:45 PM
I agree. While I was watching the game yesterday, I just felt like they couldn't lose. Of course they will lose eventually, but I haven't felt this way about a sports team since the 1985 Bears (I'm not a basketball fan).

BTW...did anyone else hear the soundbyte B&B played this morning at 11? I only caught the end of it, but it sounded like Willie Harris expressing the same sentiments that I stated above.What makes this team different from previous years is that the bedrock of this team is pitching. Hitters go hot and cold. While pitchers do have good days and bad days, you have a different guy every day so you're not as prone to long cold streaks. They have a chance to win every day, as opposed to 4/5 of the days, or even 3/5 of the days.

kojak
04-25-2005, 06:56 PM
One win @OAK makes this a legitimate team that will be competitive for the AL Central well past July.

Two wins @OAK makes this something special.

Three wins @OAK and you're all invited to the SOX party at my place.

A party at Homefish?????

What kinda tunes do you play? Dirges?
Everybody wear black?
Do you hand out the downers or do we bring our own? :tongue: :redneck

kojak
04-25-2005, 07:00 PM
I'm with samram. Beating Oakland really doesn't prove much this season. After all the entire AL West will probably finish at .500.

It's kinda funny, we are looking around at the American League to find a team we can beat that will prove we are for real and we can pass a "test" and all this time the team we are looking for just may be...us!

Weird, huh?

Erik The Red
04-25-2005, 07:31 PM
What's legit?

They're already on the list of legit contenders for their divisions.

:boston

"I beg to differ."

kevingrt
04-25-2005, 08:06 PM
I voted for "this poll sucks" because regardless of the outcome of the series it will not tell us, the fans, or the players if we or they are legit or not. Now for all you national media haters it may put them on the White Sox bandwagon for a little bit of time, but I frankly could not give a crap about what any ESPN analyst says about this team.

But all in all this poll really sucks.

Fake Chet Lemon
04-25-2005, 10:00 PM
I voted for "this poll sucks" because regardless of the outcome of the series it will not tell us, the fans, or the players if we or they are legit or not. Now for all you national media haters it may put them on the White Sox bandwagon for a little bit of time, but I frankly could not give a crap about what any ESPN analyst says about this team.

Crap, I missed that option or that would have been my vote as well. The mighty Oakland A's are the end all be all in 2005, pleeeeeze.

Baby Fisk
04-26-2005, 09:22 AM

Wow, no one's ever justified their selection of "this poll sucks" before. Props to you.

A. Cavatica
04-26-2005, 09:23 AM
One win, based on the way we did it last night.

harwar
04-26-2005, 09:40 AM
I frankly could not give a crap about what any ESPN analyst says about this team.

Sadly,i do care what the national media says about the White sox and i feel proud at every surprisingly positive comment about them.We have been ignored and passed over long enough.
The baseball tonights' guys were spitting out positive comments about the White Sox as if it they had just eaten something that tasted revolting..
Very amusing.
Unfortunately,there are many around the country who will refuse to admit that,almost everyone was wrong about the White Sox,and they won't take them for the real deal until they have met and defeated the AL east teams.

mmmmmbeeer
04-26-2005, 09:50 AM
Sadly,i do care what the national media says about the White sox and i feel proud at every surprisingly positive comment about them.We have been ignored and passed over long enough.
The baseball tonights' guys were spitting out positive comments about the White Sox as if it they had just eaten something that tasted revolting..
Very amusing.
Unfortunately,there are many around the country who will refuse to admit that,almost everyone was wrong about the White Sox,and they won't take them for the real deal until they have met and defeated the AL east teams.

I agree. I don't necessarily gain satisfaction from hearing these things because more often than not they manage to get something horribly wrong in their reports. The main reason I find the spotlight important is because it improves the health of this franchise. The Sox have been an historically miserable franchise and therefore don't garner much of a following outside of Chicago. When people are asked what teams they like, not including their favorite team, I'd like to see the White Sox start showing up on that list. Positive press and good baseball can accomplish this in a matter of a single season...they can wipe out nearly 90 years of mediocrity and fan indifference in 1 year.