PDA

View Full Version : Are You Worried About The Walks?

mikehuff
04-25-2005, 08:28 AM
This is the one stat that the national media keeps bringing up about the Sox. They're so used to either ignoring us or ripping us, that they had to find something negative about THE BEST TEAM IN BASEBALL, when everything is going right.

Obviously, without Thomas in the lineup, our walks are going to be down. I wonder is this is going to be an ongoing problem this year? I think we will eventually need to get more walks, but I am glad we are winning without them.

MUsoxfan
04-25-2005, 08:36 AM
Only one stat matters.......W

These "experts" are going to feel silly sooner or later talking about how many walks the Yankees have when they're hovering around last place.

RKMeibalane
04-25-2005, 08:59 AM
The only stat that matters is wins. Period.

Frater Perdurabo
04-25-2005, 09:03 AM
Agreed that only wins matter.

Of course I think that if the Sox took a few more walks, their offense would be more productive. However, the low walk totals are in many ways a reflection of the pitchers they faced during the first two weeks of the season. Also, as has been posted many times before, the walks will increase when Frank returns. (Frank's eyes weren't injured....)

Palehose13
04-25-2005, 09:05 AM
Nope.

samram
04-25-2005, 09:07 AM
The only stat that matters is wins. Period.

What about VORP or PIF or PIFVORP?

The Racehorse
04-25-2005, 09:17 AM
With thumpers like PK, Carl & Dye, along with free swingers like Crede, Uribe, AJ & Rowand, we're okay as long as guys like Pods, Iguchi, Harris, and Ozuna predominately put the ball in play [on the ground].

When Frank comes back, we'll easily get out of the cellar on this stat, but probably stay in the bottom half of the league for total walks... but by then, it'll be a non-issue, more so then than it is now.

I can just see the other team's scouting report... throw strikes to these guys because collectively they can't take a walk. I say.. yeah, please do! :gulp:

voodoochile
04-25-2005, 09:18 AM
The Sox seem to be drawing a LOT more walks recently. I know they had know where to go but up, but let's give it a few weeks and see where they are.

itsnotrequired
04-25-2005, 09:23 AM
The Sox seem to be drawing a LOT more walks recently. I know they had know where to go but up, but let's give it a few weeks and see where they are.

20 walks in the last week, half of their season total (39). Let's keep it up!

gosox41
04-25-2005, 09:29 AM
This is the one stat that the national media keeps bringing up about the Sox. They're so used to either ignoring us or ripping us, that they had to find something negative about THE BEST TEAM IN BASEBALL, when everything is going right.

Obviously, without Thomas in the lineup, our walks are going to be down. I wonder is this is going to be an ongoing problem this year? I think we will eventually need to get more walks, but I am glad we are winning without them.

I'm worried about walks. The team OBP sucks. The reason this team is where it is right now is the pitching. And the pitching staff won't maintatin a 3.12 ERA for the season. This team needs to get some hitters going. If the pitching weren't this good right now, the team would be about 9-10 (or worse) and we'd all be complaining about how so few players on this team can hit and how small ball isn't working.

Originally I thought this thread would be about walks iven up by the pitching staff. I am also concerned about JC and Cotts. Also, El Duque can't keep playing with fire like this where he puts a ton of guys on base and escapes jams.

Bob

Irishsox1
04-25-2005, 09:44 AM
It would be nice to have the On Base Percent higher, but the OBP needs to be adjusted when you have a faster team getting on base less often. All Oakland talks about is OBP, but as of 04/25 they only have 2 stolen bases. The Sox have a faster team moving around the bases and they are able to score more runs with a lower OBP. The Sox have scored 86 runs while Oakland has only scored 70 runs. But, if the Sox start hitting, mixed in with the team speed, then there gonna start really running up the score.

JRIG
04-25-2005, 10:01 AM
It's tough to complain about the lack of walks when the team is 15-4. But the pitching won't hold this performance forever.

Things will improve once Frank comes back, but it shouldn't be a surprise that nobody is getting on base. It's a team of free-swingers (for the most part) who don't work the count. This is the hand we've been dealt.

You can still win with this philosphy (see the 2003 Angels), but it makes it tougher, IMO. The Angels won with an outstanding bullpen and the hitters firing on all cylinders once the playoffs began. No reason we can't do the same thing.

Fake Chet Lemon
04-25-2005, 01:05 PM
no

A. Cavatica
04-25-2005, 07:44 PM
Yes. This team could go as cold over the next 19 games as it's been over the first 19. I'm absolutely delighted with the 15-4 start, but I think there's a ton of luck involved. The Sox do not have a magic formula.

PAPChiSox729
04-25-2005, 07:54 PM
I agree that W's is the only stat that matters. But, anyone who thinks that the Sox's starters are going to continue to pitch this well has been drinking a little too much Kool-Aid. If this team is going to compete, the offense needs to wake up. Scoring 4 runs against the Kansas City Royals is not going to cut it. the rotation can't carry us all season.

Norberto7
04-25-2005, 08:28 PM
It's not a problem until it's a problem.

fquaye149
04-25-2005, 08:41 PM
It's tough to complain about the lack of walks when the team is 15-4. But the pitching won't hold this performance forever.

Things will improve once Frank comes back, but it shouldn't be a surprise that nobody is getting on base. It's a team of free-swingers (for the most part) who don't work the count. This is the hand we've been dealt.

You can still win with this philosphy (see the 2003 Angels), but it makes it tougher, IMO. The Angels won with an outstanding bullpen and the hitters firing on all cylinders once the playoffs began. No reason we can't do the same thing.

I believe our team obp is either better or within .005 points of teh A's so far. FWIW

Hagan
04-26-2005, 12:03 AM
Not at all. We are swinging at good pitches. Scott has 7 walks in 14 games and Paulie has 9. Paulie has a good eye and scott should be trying to get on first any way he can and he is so I am happy and I don't think we have anything to really worry about there.

FarWestChicago
04-26-2005, 12:16 AM
I believe our team obp is either better or within .005 points of teh A's so far. FWIW:fobbgod:

Yes, but I'm a genius and your GM is an idiot!!

Tragg
04-26-2005, 12:57 AM
We're going to need walks this year, eventually - particularly at the lead-off spot. Pods is doing okay in that regard. Some players just aren't going to walk -they're vets who have never walked, so no need to expect it.
But I can't imagine it being worse than the Alomar/Clayton duet in the 8/0 holes we suffered with for 3 years.

So, my eye is on Pods - he needs to walk and he has been.