PDA

View Full Version : I don't care what the "experts" say, but ...

Moses_Scurry
04-25-2005, 07:41 AM
Podsednik is an AWESOME leadoff hitter!!!!

I don't know if I'm the only one, but every single time this guy gets on base, I get excited and feel very confident the Sox will score at least 1.

Yesterday, Willie Harris got on with a leadoff single, and I didn't feel that at all. I just felt like he might score, but it won't be because of him. You know that the opposing pitchers must just hate Podsednik.

Speed isn't the only thing that makes a leadoff hitter great!

doublem23
04-25-2005, 07:48 AM
I don't think I'd call him awesome, but he is better than anything we've had in a long while, minus Kenny Lofton's incredible April in '02, IIRC.

itsnotrequired
04-25-2005, 08:16 AM
Podsednik is an AWESOME leadoff hitter!!!!

I don't know if I'm the only one, but every single time this guy gets on base, I get excited and feel very confident the Sox will score at least 1.

Yesterday, Willie Harris got on with a leadoff single, and I didn't feel that at all. I just felt like he might score, but it won't be because of him. You know that the opposing pitchers must just hate Podsednik.

Speed isn't the only thing that makes a leadoff hitter great!

Podsednik has been on fire this last week. 9-27, 5 R, 4 W and 5 SB. Scored in the first inning in each of the last two games via walks, steals, wild pitches, etc. Great baserunning and the type of stuff you need out of a leadoff hitter.

Fake Chet Lemon
04-25-2005, 08:21 AM
Friday night on base 6-times, oh my! When he gets on he can disrupt a pitcher for the entire half-inning. Even after he scores the pitchers seem flustered and give up another big hit or two.

Kuzman
04-25-2005, 08:31 AM
Friday night on base 6-times, oh my! When he gets on he can disrupt a pitcher for the entire half-inning. Even after he scores the pitchers seem flustered and give up another big hit or two.

where are all the people bashing podsednik and his low obp now?

jabrch
04-25-2005, 08:35 AM

my guess - hiding behind their calculators and spreadsheets hoping he has a collapse so that they can tell us how right they are...(and that isn't in teal)

All we need out of Pods is something around the midpout between his 2003 (.314/.379) and 2004 (.244/.313) stats for him to be a productive leadoff hitter and this to have been a good move (.280/.350). The fact that we are getting his 2003 numbers so far (.308/.383) is a bonus.

itsnotrequired
04-25-2005, 08:36 AM

He did start out a little slow but is now some type of unstoppable force. He has raised his OBP a hundred points in less than a week.

A. Cavatica
04-25-2005, 08:38 AM
I'm no expert, but I'm certainly a skeptic.

There's no denying that he's been great. Nobody who follows the team could argue otherwise! He has a .383 on-base percentage and a 90% success rate stealing bases -- those are terrific numbers, and if you've been watching the games, you know that they're not lying.

Remember, though, he's only had 52 at-bats. He's not going to continue to perform this well. Remember, Pablo Ozuna had 55 at-bats this spring and batted .527.

tstrike2000
04-25-2005, 09:15 AM
Even if he doesn't have a terribly high OBP, when Pods does get on base he really flusters the opposing pitcher and that puts pressure on them that we haven't done in about 5 years.

CubKilla
04-25-2005, 09:39 AM
Yesterday, Willie Harris got on with a leadoff single, and I didn't feel that at all. I just felt like he might score, but it won't be because of him.

Neither did I. But maybe that is because Willie Harris sucks. It's a shame all that speed is wasted on a guy who can't steal bases.

daveeym
04-25-2005, 10:04 AM
Even if he doesn't have a terribly high OBP, when he does get on base he really flusters the opposing pitcher and that puts pressure on them that we haven't done in about 5 years. Pods is the leader of the thiefs on this team but he's just the beginning. The overall increase in team speed just piles on top of the opposing pitchers, they're nervous with the gooch, uribe and even everett, dye and harris. I thought that bad throw last week on a tailor made dp by everett summed it all up. You got gooch bearing down on second and the shortstop going, ****, everett still runs pretty good as well and pulled the first baseman off the bag. They're rattling entire infields along with the pitchers.

elrod
04-25-2005, 10:21 AM
Pods is AWESOME. We haven't had a leadoff hitter like that since Lance Johnson. He gets on any way he can. He wreaks havoc on the pitcher. And he runs smart.